I was so excited to make this dish for Mr. How Sweet.

I had it in my head for days.

I couldn’t wait to tell him about it. I mean, pepperoni and chicken? Whole wheat crust? This meal basically describes everything he lives for.

I was even more excited after learning that Mr. How Sweet loved chicken pot pies.

Don’t ask me how I did not know this, but I didn’t.

Kind of like how I didn’t know he snored louder than a jet engine and would rather sit in the stands at a Nascar race than lay on a hot, sandy beach with a margarita in hand.

Learn these things before you get married, people.

So, I made assumptions.

Mr. How Sweet loves pot pies. And he loves pizza.

So pizza + pot pie = happy belly. Correct?

See, I’ve never been the best at math.

As expected, my skills failed me here.

When I told Mr. How Sweet that I was going to make pizza pot pies, he practically doubled over in disgust. He pouted. He whined. He dry heaved.

It just wasn’t a good situation.

But then I made them.

And they looked delicious. And smelled even better.

It was as if Yankee Candle had created a Pepperoni Pizza scent just for us.

The cheese was bubbly and the crust was crispy.

And it was one of those situations where you don’t care about scalding every taste bud on your tongue or burning the skin throughout your mouth. The most important thing at that moment was eating it. Immediately.

I like to pretend that the whole wheat crust cancels out the exorbitant amount of cheese that I used.

It does.

When I get around cheese, I just lose all control.

Any discipline I have flies right out the window. I just keep adding cheese. And adding, and adding, and adding. . .

Really, can you ever have too much cheese?

Pizza Pot Pies

inspired by Giada

Serves 4

8 ounces chicken breast, cooked

2 ounces pepperoni, chopped

1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese

1 cup parmesan cheese

2 tablespoons italian seasoning

1/2 cup chopped green pepper

1/2 cup chopped sweet onion

2 cups tomato sauce

1 tablespoon olive oil

whole wheat pizza dough

Preheat oven to 375. Set out 4 small ramekins.

Divide chicken, cheeses, peppers, onions, pepperoni, and  italian seasoning evenly into the 4 ramekins. Add equal amounts of tomato sauce to each bowl.

Cover with a very thin round of whole wheat pizza dough. Brush dough with olive oil. Bake at 375 for about 30 minutes, or until dough is golden brown.

Whole Wheat Crust Topping

1 cup whole wheat flour

1/2 teaspoon active dry yeast

1/2 teaspoon sea salt

1/4 – 1/2 cup lukewarm water

1/2 tablespoon olive oil

1/2 tablespoon honey

Combine flour, sea salt, and yeast in a large bowl. Add water, honey and olive oil, and stir until a dough comes together. Continue to form dough into a ball with your hands. Add more water 1 tablespoon at a time as necessary.

Place in lightly oiled bowl and cover. Let rise for 2-3 hours.

When ready, roll dough out very thin.

See, I am always right.

I promised Mr. How Sweet these would be delicious, and they are.

He needs to stop doubting me. Like when I tell him that buying a pair of Christian Louboutin shoes is a wise investment, he should listen. I clearly know what I’m talking about.

93 Responses to “Pizza Pot Pies with Whole Wheat Crust.”

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) — June 23, 2010 @ 10:11 am

I am all about Louboutin’s! That’s the best thing Ive heard all day :)

xo

Alycia @ Fit n Fresh — June 23, 2010 @ 11:09 am

What a great idea!! You are such a foodie genius

Devon — June 23, 2010 @ 11:15 am

WOW! These look absolutely ridiculously amazing! How creative :) I think they just earned a spot on next week’s meal planning!

Noelle @Opera Singer in Kitchen — June 23, 2010 @ 11:45 am

Sinful! Anything Giada does is great! NIce job! BTW I found out my husband DISLIKES pot pies. OUt the door for me.

Matt — June 23, 2010 @ 11:48 am

Wow that seriously looks amazing!

Melissa (MelissaLikesToEat) — June 23, 2010 @ 12:01 pm

I feel the same way about cheese. :)

janetha — June 23, 2010 @ 12:11 pm

i totally forgot about these pot pies! i used to make them back in the day. thanks for reminding me! love your healthy twist! we used to just use packaged white dough for the crust.

LiLu — June 23, 2010 @ 12:31 pm

You, missy, are a GENIUS. There’s just no way around it.

Helen — June 23, 2010 @ 12:36 pm

This is a great recipe. I made a Chicken Vegetable Pot Pie at the weekend and the pastry was so the best bit. I can’t believe Mr So Sweet put up a fuss about these – he should trust you to know what’s best!

Sarah from 20somethingcupcakes — June 23, 2010 @ 1:03 pm

I can’t imagine what wouldn’t be good about this. It’s like a much better version of a hot pocket in a bowl. And I love Hot Pockets. My guy loves chicken pot pie too, so I’m sure he’d be a fan. I keep telling him it’s a winter dish and it’s too hot outside to make it! Ha! xxSAS

Jessica — June 23, 2010 @ 1:27 pm

Jessica, that cheese made me smile. Once again, a killer recipe.

Diana @ frontyardfoodie — June 23, 2010 @ 2:16 pm

Yowza!! That looks like one gooey mess I’d love to consume! Way to go on proving your lover wrong!

Naomi (onefitfoodie) — June 23, 2010 @ 3:14 pm

i have no words…i am making this for me and Jason ASAP

Lauren — June 23, 2010 @ 4:16 pm

I saw a similar recipe to this on Giada and I immediately wanted to make them for my hubby too! Yours look incredible! Love all that gooey cheese. :)

Jamie | My Baking Addiction — June 23, 2010 @ 5:17 pm

These look incredibly delish! I too love me some cheese!

Pure2raw twins — June 23, 2010 @ 6:38 pm

What a great idea. We have made pizza rolls before, but this looks fun!

Gracie @ Girl Meets Health — June 23, 2010 @ 6:52 pm

Uhhh genius! I love how the pot pies are individual. It seems like you could pretty much throw anything into the bowl and top it with that crust, no?

Mae — June 23, 2010 @ 7:47 pm

These look delicious!!!

Jessica Lee — June 23, 2010 @ 9:16 pm

Haha, glad he liked it! How can he doubt it though? It’s basically pizza, just in a different form! Silly men sometimes. And to doubt YOUR cooking skills? NEVER.

Katrina — June 23, 2010 @ 11:29 pm

This looks SO GOOD. Yum.

Yum Yucky — June 24, 2010 @ 3:14 am

What the…..??? okay okay, so how about the Pillsbury bake off? It happens every other year and you could win a million smackeroos to share with me. The next one is in 2012, and believe you me, people are already working to perfect their recipes.

This link, on the bottom left of the page, has all the “Bake-Off Basics” contest rules. http://www.pillsbury.com/BakeOff/Default.aspx

Yeah, I’m being pushy.

Stephy — June 24, 2010 @ 6:43 am

I think pizza is one of my favorite food groups (and yes, I’m aware that pizza itself is not a food group in its own, but it does have most of them covered, so who cares?), and this is yet another excuse to eat pizza. I’m definitely going to have to try it, maybe with some sausage? Mmm, sausage.

Evan — June 24, 2010 @ 7:08 am

So I haven’t even made this and it may be my new favorite recipe! It looks delicious.. I am absolutely going to try this and it’ll be sure to impress Mountain Man :)

Kelly — June 24, 2010 @ 2:51 pm

This so reminds me of something we have here in chicago! They are called pizza pot pies as well: http://www.chicagopizzaandovengrinder.com/menu.htm

But what is interesting (and why I am including the link for the menu) is they actually serve them by flipping them over. Seems a to defeat the purpose a bit, but that’s how they do it.

Kelsey @ CleanTeenKelsey — June 24, 2010 @ 3:15 pm

Would that whole wheat crust recipe work as a bread, too? In other words, could I let the dough rise for a bit, plop it in a bread pan and call it good?

• Jessica — June 24th, 2010 @ 3:55 pm

I honestly don’t know, but I doubt it. I have never made bread, but think that there may be more involved, like first and second risings? Wish I knew more!

Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction — June 24, 2010 @ 7:39 pm

That looks amazing… and I love the whole wheat crust! I’m soo hungry for pizza pot pies now. :)

Katherine — June 25, 2010 @ 5:28 am

Do I need to proof active dry yeast for this pizza dough?

• Jessica — June 25th, 2010 @ 5:30 am

Nope, I do not for this recipe. I just add it to flour.

Katherine — June 25, 2010 @ 6:28 am

Okay, thanks!! :)

Katherine — June 25, 2010 @ 4:40 pm

Okay change of plans – instead of making this for dinner I made your regular pizza dough recipe (the one from your pepperoni rolls post), so I followed your instructions about proofing the yeast and so on. In the end, I had a beautiful whole wheat pizza dough which I used to make personal flatbread pizzas :-) The crust was delicious!!!

Thank you so much for your great blogging – it really helps me live a healthier life!

Katherine

• Jessica — June 26th, 2010 @ 6:10 am

I am so glad it worked out!

Thank YOU for reading. It really means the world to me. :)

Amanda @ The Hand Me Down House — June 26, 2010 @ 6:43 am

I made these for my hubby last night and O-M-G — SOOO Good! We LOVED them. And the good part is we only did a half recipe and we have enough dough to make them again sometime soon! Thanks so much for the delish recipe!!

1. Pingback: Tweets that mention Pizza Pot Pies with Whole Wheat Crust. | How Sweet It Is -- Topsy.com

2. Pingback: Italian Spin on a Comfort Classic! | CookinFanatic