You know a salad without vegetables is a salad approved by me.

The only veggies floating around in this bowl are the chunks in salsa, which I will inevitably avoid anyway.

Sure, there is some corn, but we all know corn isn’t a real vegetable.

If it was, I wouldn’t be eating it. Don’t burst my bubble.

I seasoned the chicken with salt, pepper, and a touch of cumin before grilling to give it more of a Mexican flavor.

Ideally, I would love to eat Mexican every night. I wish I could swim and shower in margaritas.

But my entree of choice would be greasy, cheesy enchiladas and endless bowls of chips and salsa.

I don’t think I need to explain why that shouldn’t happen every day. So instead, I throw a few measly pieces of lettuce (almost brown, since it has been hiding in the depths of my crisper drawer for 3 weeks) on a plate and top it with beans, cheese, and crispy tortillas.

I used a corn tortilla for the crispy tortilla strips – I think corn works better than flour or whole wheat. They are a bit more dense and toast perfectly.

Southwest Chicken Salad

3 cups leafy romaine

4-5 ounces grilled chicken

1/4 cup black beans

1/4 cup sweet corn

1 ounce shredded, low-fat cheese

2 slices avocado, chopped

2 tablespoons salsa

1/2 corn tortilla

sea salt & pepper

Preheat oven to 400.

Slice tortilla into thin strips and spritz with olive oil. Top with sea salt and bake for 4-5 minutes, or until golden brown and crispy.

Combine all salad ingredients together, topping with grilled chicken. Add tortilla strips on top.

This salad is a delicious mish-mash of flavors and textures.

And yes, I love it that much more since it is mostly veggie-free.

I’l never learn.

51 Responses to “Southwest Chicken Salad.”

Sophie @ yumventures — June 2, 2010 @ 5:14 am

I agree, I could swim in margaritas. Especially with the warm weather we have been having. I love the idea of tortilla strips! You and tortillas are a match made in heaven.

Sarena (The Non Dairy Queen) — June 2, 2010 @ 5:20 am

I could eat a mexican salad every day and it would never get old! You know I love my veggies, but corn is too sweet to be a veggie besides my oldest son will eat it, so I would definitely say…not a veggie! Cumin is my favorite herb and it makes me question myself because it is so good, but doesn’t it smell a little like BO? Anyway, your salad looks SO good! Enjoy your day!

Helen — June 2, 2010 @ 5:34 am

I would love to eat Mexican every day too. Their flavour combinations are to die for. As corn is so sweet I think it counts as a sweet treat! This salad look delicious!

Wei-Wei — June 2, 2010 @ 5:36 am

HAhahaha look at the dictionary definition of a salad:

a cold dish of various mixtures of raw or cooked vegetables, usually seasoned with oil, vinegar, or other dressing and sometimes accompanied by meat, fish, or other ingredients

I think I like yours better. ;)

Wei-Wei

Erica — June 2, 2010 @ 5:46 am

mmmm mexican! Delicious. I bet the avocado makes this salad. I love how you created your own healthier tortilla strips. Gorgeous

Estela @ Weekly Bite — June 2, 2010 @ 5:50 am

Love this salad! I’m making this soon!

Lindsay @ The Ketchup Diaries — June 2, 2010 @ 6:05 am

I love salads with all kinds of bright colors involved. It just looks prettier :smile:

Marisa (Loser for Life) — June 2, 2010 @ 6:09 am

yum, yum, yum!

brandi — June 2, 2010 @ 6:13 am

I LOVE big salads in the summer, and this looks perfect!

Kelly @ Healthy Living With Kelly — June 2, 2010 @ 6:36 am

Yum…looks good to me!

ashley — June 2, 2010 @ 6:36 am

yum! i love southwestern salads like this one! salsa is a must even if it is made of veggies ;-)

homecookedem — June 2, 2010 @ 6:48 am

I love how your recipes totally appeal to my seasonal cravings! This salad sounds fabulous!!

Amanda — June 2, 2010 @ 6:48 am

Oh. Wow. Just. Ah…. wow. I am at a loss for words. It just looks so good!! The first salad that has ever left me speechless. I am drooling a little!

Blessings!
    Amanda

Naomi(onefitfoodie) — June 2, 2010 @ 6:55 am

I made this chunky salsa/avocado/corn BOWL and use it as dressing on my salads its so so so good! HOWEVER I want this salad now with those tortilla strips and beans and avocado YUMM i love mexican too! :)

Tracy — June 2, 2010 @ 7:06 am

Looks like my kind of salad!!

Ashley@thehungryscholar — June 2, 2010 @ 7:12 am

You sure know how to make a salad! So colorful.

Madeline - Greens and Jeans — June 2, 2010 @ 7:19 am

Anything that can be served with a margarita (which, really, is everything), is a-okay with me

Heather (Heather's Dish) — June 2, 2010 @ 7:28 am

mexican salads are one of my favorites…i love all of the flavors, and i’m with madeline…if you can serve it with a marg, I’m all in!

Nicole, RD — June 2, 2010 @ 7:29 am

Yum! Looks delicious! I love hearty salads with corn and meat!

Biz — June 2, 2010 @ 7:47 am

Totally with you on the mexican theme – I could eat it every day and never get sick of it.

Love your “almost” veggie salad!

Jenn (Jenn's Menu and Lifestyle Blog) — June 2, 2010 @ 7:58 am

That looks deeeeeeeeelicious! I want those chunks of avocado all to myself, lol.

Jenn

Jil — June 2, 2010 @ 8:12 am

Mmm that looks wonderful!!

Hayley @ Breath of Fire — June 2, 2010 @ 8:20 am

Mexican-inspired salads are my favorite, especially with corn. It adds so much sweetness!

Melissa @ For the Love of Health — June 2, 2010 @ 8:30 am

very nice!

Blond Duck — June 2, 2010 @ 9:12 am

I’m so with you on the Mexican every day. I always loved Mexican, but since moving to SA, it’s all I ever want. Breakfast tacos, quesdillas, nachos, enchiladas, tacos, burritos….we made a big bowl of homemade guacamole last weekend and polished off it and a bag of blue corn tortilla chips in one day.

Totally craving Mexican now…

Anne — June 2, 2010 @ 9:28 am

Lucky me I just had BBQ dinner and am satisfied, otherwise I would be craving this salad badly now :D

Daisy — June 2, 2010 @ 10:22 am

you like SOME veggies! ;) haha sorry im such a pain.

Abby — June 2, 2010 @ 10:23 am

I feel the same way about Mexican and Margaritas!!!

Emily (A Nutritionisteats) — June 2, 2010 @ 10:53 am

I LOVE southwest chicken salads! Need to make ASAP!
    PS. I’m making nachos tonight and I think the veggies I’m sneaking in would even sneak by you! :)

Jenna — June 2, 2010 @ 11:11 am

I think this is one salad that Mike would be on board to eat with zero complaints!

LiLu — June 2, 2010 @ 11:47 am

This is hands down my favorite kind of salad. NOM NOM NOM!

grace — June 2, 2010 @ 12:11 pm

those tortilla strips are a great addition!

Brenda — June 2, 2010 @ 12:22 pm

Looks DELICIOUS Jessica! My kind of salad, and I agree. I, too, wish I could eat Mexican food every single night!

Wenderly — June 2, 2010 @ 1:03 pm

Looks fantastic! LOVE salads, Love Mexican, this is a match made in heaven!

Barbara Bakes — June 2, 2010 @ 2:10 pm

I’ll have to try making my own tortilla strips. Great idea. The salad looks like it has the perfect amount of veggies to me. Delicious!

Lisa @bakebikeblog — June 2, 2010 @ 3:22 pm

What a great way of using tortilla chips! Love it!

Rebecca @ How the Cookies Crumble — June 2, 2010 @ 3:45 pm

I love Mexican food too! If I had a choice of one thing to eat forever – it would probably be Mexican.

Katie — June 2, 2010 @ 4:59 pm

Chicken salads are one of my favorite things on earth. This looks like the perfect meal.

Maggie @ Vittles and Bits — June 2, 2010 @ 6:02 pm

Mmm Mexican every night would be heavenly :) This looks delish, especially for a salad!

Ellen — June 2, 2010 @ 7:25 pm

Well hello, SALAD BEAST! Yummm. I love any salad with black beans and corn in it.

Mary — June 3, 2010 @ 12:27 am

This salad looks phenomenal! Like, wow! This is a must try and perfect for summer. So happy I found your blog!

xxMary
    Delightful Bitefuls

Katrina — June 3, 2010 @ 3:50 am

This looks so tasty! I love the mixture on ingredients you chose. Does this salad have a dressing? Or is it just too good on it’s own?

Joanna Sutter (Fitness & Spice) — June 3, 2010 @ 4:39 am

I love a good BIG salad. Not the silly little plated kind of salads that you’d get at a wedding or a 5 star restaurant. Salads like this one that are a meal…that gets 6 stars in my book! ;-)

katie — June 4, 2010 @ 12:32 pm

SERIOUSLY one of my fav things ive seen on here girl!! YUMMM Jess!

Amy — June 4, 2010 @ 5:43 pm

• Jessica — June 4th, 2010 @ 8:44 pm

I didn’t add dressing because the salsa acted somewhat of a dressing. I am pretty boring when it comes to dressing and just use vinegar. Unfortunately I just don’t really like the taste of salad dressings!

Cassie @ the Ringls — June 7, 2010 @ 10:07 am

I can’t wait to try this recipe! I got some Avocado’s this weekend just for the occasion :)
    Finally, a chicken salad I don’t have to go out for!

Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction — June 9, 2010 @ 5:16 pm

Looks delicious! I love southwest flavors… It’s a great way to trick me into eating a salad :)

Ashley — April 15, 2011 @ 11:15 am

I am making this tonight! It looks amazing!

1. Pingback: Tweets that mention Southwest Chicken Salad. | How Sweet It Is -- Topsy.com

2. Pingback: Bunny Food « Greek Yogurt & Apple Slices