We finally made it to Northern Michigan after 9 long hours in the car.

What did I do before I had a wireless network card? Even though it didn’t work for the first 3 hours I attempted, “George” from India got it all straightened out for me after 65 minutes on the phone. 35 of those minutes were spent with me trying to understand what he was saying.

It was beautiful out when we reached our destination.

Our Friday night tradition is to go to a local bar and get all-you-can-eat white fish and chips. The place has been in business for years and getting a table is impossible.

But my brother Andy and his girlfriend Mary got there early and got us a seat.

How cute are they?

Somewhere in Pennsylvania my other brother is throwing up.

I normally do not like deep-fried foods because I think they all taste the same. I can rarely taste the flavor, but this fish is a totally different story. It is lightly battered and probably the best fish I’ve ever had. They throw this on your table and you all fend for yourself.

I cover my fries in salt and vinegar because I like to live on the wild side.

Afterwards, we walked around town. This specific town is Boyne City and it is where my great grandparents lived and my dad vacationed as a kid. Friday nights the place is rockin’ with street bands and shopping.

We played with this adorable puppy. Her name was Rosebud.

It reminded me that I have badger Mr. How Sweet more when I get home. I want a golden retriever. I need a pal.

Andy wanted to get his picture taken with this character:

And then he got ice cream for himself, but not the rest of us.

I couldn’t wait to take some pictures of the lake and sunset. I just recently got a DSLR and have been in tears for the past 2 weeks trying to use it. It’s all Greek to me. I also am afraid to let anyone else touch it. If something happens to it, Mr. How Sweet would divorce me since I blew our life savings for this little “hobby” of mine. I don’t even trust myself with it yet.

But I figured it out enough to take a few shots of Andy acting obnoxious and the early-evening sky.

Then this happened.

And then the sunsets started.

At first it looked like it was going to storm so the sunset wasn’t very pretty, but I’m confident that I will get the money shot later this week.

We built a fire and sat by the lake, talking and mostly making fun of my mom. Since Mother Lovett isn’t around anymore, someone has to be the butt of all of our jokes.

Now I’m gonna go pass out in the lake air.

But I might have a brownie first.

23 Responses to “Love It Here.”

homecookedem — July 30, 2010 @ 7:53 pm

So glad you’re having a nice time with your family!! :) Your deep fried meal looks glorious!! Yummmmmm!! :)

Matt — July 30, 2010 @ 7:53 pm

Sounds like a great trip so far!

Allie (Live Laugh Eat) — July 30, 2010 @ 9:25 pm

Haha the day I drop my DSLR I will I die a slow painful death. Knock on wood that NEVER ever happens. Put that neck strap around your neck lady!!!

• Jessica — July 31st, 2010 @ 5:13 am

Oh my gosh it hasn’t LEFT my neck!! For real. I am so afraid to use it without the neck strap!

Wei-Wei — July 31, 2010 @ 4:32 am

I can definitely see the difference in your photography! Keep trying, you’ll love your camera ;)

Wei-Wei

• Jessica — July 31st, 2010 @ 5:12 am

Thank you!

Jenny — July 31, 2010 @ 5:02 am

Looks like fun!! And I need a puppy too. I don’t have anyone to badger about it since I live alone, but I might need some financial help from the parents ;)

Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg — July 31, 2010 @ 5:26 am

So glad you’re having fun!!! I LOVE Kilwins :-)

Barbara Braun — July 31, 2010 @ 5:37 am

Jess: ALL i CAN SAY IS YOU ARE AMAZING!!!!!!!!Enjoy your happy place…. please come home when the week is over …..North Huntingdon needs your sprit…….love ya barb

Erica @ Fashion meets Food — July 31, 2010 @ 5:50 am

i`m in Boyne this weekend as well. Monday I am headed to the UP… love it!

vanillasugar — July 31, 2010 @ 7:46 am

wait…can we go back to the all you can eat fish & chips? all you can eat fries? damn.

Tina — July 31, 2010 @ 8:36 am

The pictures look great. It is so hard getting used to a DSLR! I might even take a community class on it later this coming month.

I’m glad you are having such a wonderful time!

kyla — July 31, 2010 @ 10:00 am

Get a golden retriever!!!! Do badger Mr. How Sweet about getting one because they are the best dogs ever. Unconditional love I’m telling you. They just want to love you and be loved. We had our golden, Chloe, for 14 years and she was the sweetest thing ever. It can be your How Sweet dog.

Amanda — July 31, 2010 @ 10:50 am

A brownie before passing out is always good. :)

Great pictures!!!

Will — July 31, 2010 @ 11:56 am

I think Andy’s hair style should have it’s own blog.

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) — July 31, 2010 @ 8:06 pm

Sounds like you are having a great time!! You have some good looking friends :-)

Jenn AKA The Leftover Queen — August 2, 2010 @ 12:16 pm

Looks like a great time is being had by all! :)

Tonia — July 27, 2011 @ 9:32 pm

Have a great time. Just got back from my trip to the Petoskey area (8 hour trip). Nothing like northern MI in the summer.

Kele — July 28, 2011 @ 3:50 pm

Oh dish on which DSLR you got! I am about to by the Nikon D7000 I just have to muster the courage to take the plunge since it’s so expensive!

Food for Todd — July 31, 2011 @ 5:54 pm

Love, love, love northern and mid-Michigan! Have you ever been to the UP? You should make pasties!

Sigourney — May 14, 2013 @ 2:56 pm

When I first looked at these pictures I thought “hmm this looks like up north” (I live in Michigan) then I read and realized it is! My family used to have a cabin in Boyne City and I absolutely love it up there! I still say the good old high-five state is one of the most underrated. Anywho, I just thought it was a small world.

1. Pingback: Tweets that mention Love It Here. | How Sweet It Is -- Topsy.com