All is right in the world again.

There is a pound of bacon in my fridge which means I can sleep tight.

If you weren’t aware, I went a week without bacon because I forgot to buy it.

How I could forget such a thing baffles me, but it happened.

You can imagine how badly I just wanted to fry up the whole pound and eat it while reading trashy magazines and watching the Jersey Shore. It’s how I decompress.

Am I grossing you out yet?

Hey, to each their own. I don’t judge you for eating broccoli.

But please don’t leave, because you need to know how amazing these pancakes are.

One day shortly after getting married, I grated a sweet, juicy apple and added it to my pancakes.

It was fabulous. But then I never did it again. It left my mind completely.

And truth be told, I was way too traumatized by the 16 bobbleheads in the living room and that gigantic turkey that lurked in Mr. How Sweet’s bachelor pad to remember anything I was doing in the kitchen.

Then last week it came back to me. And I was so bacon-deprived that I decided to add that to the mix too.

I can now die happy.

Yes, friends – there are apples and bacon in the pancakes. They create the perfect sweet and savory mix, bursting with flavor and texture.

Apple Bacon Pancakes

serves 3-4

2 cups whole wheat pastry flour

2 teaspoons baking powder

1 teaspoon salt

2 eggs, beaten

1 1/2 cups milk

1 tablespoon canola oil

1 teaspoon cinnamon

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

4 slices bacon, fried and crumbles

1 gala apple, grated

In a bowl, mix flour, baking powder, cinnamon and salt together. Add milk, eggs, vanilla and oil and stir until smooth. Fold in half the bacon and all of the apple shreds.

Heat skillet or griddle on medium heat. Add batter 1/4 cup at a time (creates about a 3-4 inch pancake). Wait until bubbles form, them flip and cook about another 30-60 seconds.

Garnish with remaining bacon and maple syrup.

I’ll be hanging in the kitchen today with my best pal, bacon.

Reunited and it feels so good…

91 Responses to “Apple Bacon Pancakes.”

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) — August 16, 2010 @ 1:27 pm

I made an apple and bacon pancake for the first time a few weeks ago, and it was LOVE.

Yum Yucky — August 16, 2010 @ 1:49 pm

I’m in love with your pancakes.

Mary (A Merry Life) — August 16, 2010 @ 1:56 pm

Jersey Shore and bacon sounds like the perfect zone out combo. I think I’m in love with that idea. Now I’ve just got to wait for New Zealand to start showing the second season.

Leah — August 16, 2010 @ 3:29 pm

Yum! I feel like this would probably be really good for dinner tonight. I will have to check and see if my parents have any bacon I can “borrow” on my way home from work. :)

Lisa @bakebikeblog — August 16, 2010 @ 3:59 pm

I need to make these asap :) They look wonderful!

Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction — August 16, 2010 @ 4:30 pm

I have to admit that I don’t always have bacon in the house… But, now I’m feeling inspired to go buy a pound or two. These pancakes look great!

Jasmine @ Eat Move Write — August 16, 2010 @ 4:30 pm

“I don’t judge you for eating broccoli.” lol. You crack me up.

I cannot, canNOT imagine bacon on pancakes. Does that make me weird? lol.

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) — August 16, 2010 @ 5:04 pm

when i was a kid and forced to eat bacon at my grandma’s house, the only way i could choke it down was with a vat of syrup drenched over it LOL

xoxo

Kat — August 16, 2010 @ 5:17 pm

omg that looks scrumptious!

Jess — August 16, 2010 @ 5:24 pm

Mmm, that recipe sounds FABULOUS!!

lindsay — August 16, 2010 @ 5:30 pm

you’re a genius ;)

One Healthy Apple — August 16, 2010 @ 9:24 pm

Oh Jessica! Thanks for not judging me for not eating veggies and I won’t judge you for the bacon. BTW- husband and I eagerly await Jersey Shore so we can get away from our corporate jobs weekly!

Greg — August 17, 2010 @ 3:56 am

The bacon comment reminds me of my 10-year old. He would (literally) sit down and eat a pound of bacon if we allowed it. Daily. No joke.

I tried the grated apple thing with whole wheat waffles once, using the granny smith variety. Gave them a great kick.

Beth@ after5chef — August 17, 2010 @ 7:41 am

this is BRILLIANT! Thanks for such a fabulous idea – I’ll be trying this recipe this weekend!!

Kathryn @ Foodies Not Fatties — August 17, 2010 @ 9:26 am

Oh my gosh! Those pancakes look incredible! I always get made fun of when I use my bacon as a syrup spoon. The combination of the savory, saltiness of the bacon with a delicious sweet syrup….HEAVEN! I officially want breakfast for lunch today!

Eliana — August 17, 2010 @ 11:49 am

This looks like the perfect way to start any morning :)

Notifier — August 19, 2010 @ 12:34 am

hi,

just a quick question … the dimensions of your pancakes … they seem rather thick and small where I get only larger and thinner ones … do you use a special frying pan for that ?

(PS: Excuse my poor English … I don’t often use it :-( )

• Jessica — August 19th, 2010 @ 3:50 am

Did you use the recipe here?
      I am not positive, but it is not the pan you use (though I use an electric griddle) – it is usually the amount of baking powder. As for the size, I usually use a 1/4 cup measure for each pancake.

Emily — August 21, 2010 @ 10:16 am

OH. MY. DELICIOUSNESS. When I first saw this post I felt a curiosity and wonder. I had to sit and think about the combination of those flavors. Then I realized, hey, MAPLE bacon exists and so does APPLE bacon… Hmm… I bet that’d be pretty good. I made them for me and my fiance today, and we are HOOKED. This recipe is DEFINITELY a keeper. Thanks for being Wonder Woman when it comes to creative recipes!!! MMmmm…

Ingrid — August 21, 2010 @ 6:19 pm

This looks much better than the Special K I had this morning! :)

Molly — February 5, 2011 @ 7:03 pm

Yum! My husband and I loved these. Thanks for the great recipe!

Christina — May 14, 2011 @ 9:35 am

I just made these, but they didn’t turn out like I thought. I had to use all purpose flour, and they turned out a little chewy. Still good, but not what I expected.

Danielle — August 2, 2011 @ 9:51 am

I tried these this morning
    They were Good, but not as much flavor as I had hoped

Amanda — February 8, 2012 @ 10:08 am

This sounds amazing! We can’t wait to try it out! We LOVE our bacon! Our food lovers sure do love their bacon as well! Be sure to share this great recipe on our community page! http://bit.ly/wlZhX4

Eva — March 14, 2012 @ 6:37 pm

These sound so delicious! Will have to try. Have you ever made Chocolate Bacon Cupcakes, really, really good. As a bacon lover you have got to add bacon to your cupcakes.

1. Pingback: Tweets that mention Apple Bacon Pancakes. | How Sweet It Is -- Topsy.com

2. Pingback: Google Withdrawals « Why Deprive?

3. Pingback: Blueberry-Bacon-Cornmeal Pancakes | The Healthy Apron

4. Pingback: Halloween Food Blog Posts-Favorite & Best Recipe Picks for Holidays — Family Fresh Cooking

5. Pingback: When like hands you bacon… «

6. Pingback: When life hands you bacon… «

7. Pingback: Cooking Challenge Day #65 – Apple Bacon Pancakes « Ella Rose Entertaining

8. Pingback: Pancake Love | Southern Fare