I’m sorry for doing this to you.

I really am.

But see, last Friday while I was on a 10-hour road trip heading for vacation, I received this recipe from a reader named Liz.

Liz, I love you. That’s all I have to say.

I was tortured by this recipe for a full 8 days before I could make it. I wanted to make it while I was on vacation, but couldn’t drag myself up off the couch to do so.

So it was the first thing I made when I returned home.

Better-Than-Crack Brownies I howsweeteats.com

These are an absolute sin.

I really don’t have any words, other than you must try them. They will change your life.

They may also change your waistline too.

But that’s okay.

It’s all in the name of chocolate.

Better-Than-Crack Brownies I howsweeteats.com

Better-Than-Crack Brownies

1 batch brownies (boxed mix or oooey gooey brownies)

1/2 cup salted peanuts (if don’t have salted, add sea salt)

1 cup chopped Reese’s peanut butter cups

1 1/2 cup milk chocolate chips

1 1/2 cup creamy peanut butter

1/2 tablespoon butter

1 1/2 cups Rice Krispies Cereal

Mix brownies according to directions, and bake for 20-25 minutes in a 9 x 13 baking dish. Remove and top with peanuts and peanut butter cups, and bake for 4-6 minutes more.

While they are finishing baking, melt chocolate chips, peanut butter and butter. Stir in cereal. Remove brownies from oven and evenly pour chocolate mixture over top.

Refrigerate for 2 hours before serving.

Better-Than-Crack Brownies I howsweeteats.com

Mr. How Sweet says these are healthy since they have peanuts for protein and good fat, and since the back of the Rice Krispie box says the cereal is a “healthy snack.”

I love the way this man thinks.

495 Responses to “Better-Than-Crack Brownies.”

Shoshanna Lee — September 17, 2010 @ 9:29 pm

Looks Irresistible! Wish I could take them out from my monitor LOL. Thanks for sharing.

Tia — September 26, 2010 @ 2:05 pm

I made this today – they were awesome!!! they didn’t look so pretty in the pan, but once they were cut and you could see the cross section they were prettier.

Evonne — October 6, 2010 @ 9:04 am

Even though I am on a diet…I think I love you! This recipe contains pretty much all of my favorite things. Now, I can get away with eating one little treat that has it all! Thanks :0)

Amanda — October 9, 2010 @ 3:10 pm

OMG these look dangerously amazing!

• Mel from NJ — October 17th, 2010 @ 4:58 pm

comment again when you actually make them

innocent 11 year old — October 11, 2010 @ 12:07 pm

I’ve never had crack before, is that stuff good too? Maybe i should try it for comparison with the brownies.

Mel from NJ — October 17, 2010 @ 4:56 pm

Unlike so many people that comment with “these look and sound great”, I actually made them and they were a huge hit for the football and cheerleader pasta dinner. Parents and teenagers alike went crazy for them. THANKS, for the great recipe, these treats were a 100% success!!!!

JoJo — October 20, 2010 @ 9:42 pm

These aren’t even brownies…
    And they taste like crap.

C Scott Morris — October 24, 2010 @ 11:32 am

JoJo, go troll somewhere else, your opinion is not needed.
    Those were the most spectacular brownies I have ever had.
    Definitely better than crack. Even my wife, who HATES chocolate love these.
    This recipe has been added to my repetoir.

andrew — October 25, 2010 @ 1:29 am

I don’t know, Crack is pretty good.

joe McGee — October 31, 2010 @ 2:43 pm

holy shit.

I know what to add to these to make them really better than crack…

maybe I will be able to do so legally after the 2nd?

Paul — October 31, 2010 @ 3:28 pm

aint nuthin better than crack

Mom's Menu Planner — November 20, 2010 @ 11:52 pm

Just stumbled on your site – what a delicious recipe!!! These look to die for :-)

Cathy — December 13, 2010 @ 3:47 pm

Use Brown Rice rice krispies – Now they’re healthy. Enjoy!
    Thanks for sharing this recipe.

Glucometer Reviews — December 17, 2010 @ 4:29 pm

Oh wow! That looks absolutely delicious, I love how you took an old favorite and added your own twist. You also did an amazing job with the pictures, I will definitely try this recipe over the weekend.

Robyn | Add a Pinch — December 21, 2010 @ 12:56 am

Lordy mercy these babies look amazing!!! I think I’m adding them to what I want for Christmas! :)

ash — December 27, 2010 @ 9:16 am

i’ve tried these, but I’ve also done crack… crack wins, sorry

ashley — December 31, 2010 @ 3:41 am

i just made these. i am speechless. they are so rich. i am afraid they will make me diabetic though soi am taking them to work tomorrow.

Stephanie — January 6, 2011 @ 12:21 am

OMG! I just went and got a paper towel to wipe the drool off my keyboard…but had to write a quick comment to say—-TU for sharing! I love crack and if I can find something better, I’m all for it!! WOOT WOOT!

Natalie — January 18, 2011 @ 2:56 am

i just made them for a party and they were gone within ten minutes of being put out. I think I might be able to find 3 or 4 crackheads who might disagree with the title… but I still think the brownies are pretty freakin’ good. Thanks so much for the recipe, can’t wait to try your other ones!

• Jessica — January 18th, 2011 @ 3:04 am

Glad they were a hit!

Rebecca — January 20, 2011 @ 6:41 pm

Second time baking these in less than a week! Good thing the gym and I are best friends! I’m actually taking them into my gym rat buddies tomorrow. =)
    Thanks for the recipe and I love your blog!!

Jess — January 22, 2011 @ 3:45 am

i’m still trying to figure out why i haven’t tried these yet. oh right, because the husband keeps insisting he doesn’t like sweets. then i would be “forced” to eat the entire confection.

Kathleen @ Kat's Health Corner — January 22, 2011 @ 3:37 pm

Oh man, my stomach just screamed for those!!!! That look divine! An such an easy recipe! :) Thanks!

Jasmine - This Moment Events — February 4, 2011 @ 4:58 pm

These are insane- I’m making them this weekend, because I really can’t resist… hopefully I won’t eat them all before the game starts!

Juawice — February 5, 2011 @ 11:33 am

Just a question: How do you store any leftovers? In the fridge or at room temp?? I would imagine that they taste better at room temp? I am making them today for a function tomorrow, so I was wondering if you keep them out after the initial two hour chill in the fridge???

• Jessica — February 5th, 2011 @ 1:16 pm

I’ve done both! I actually prefer them chilled, but either way works!

Naomi — February 5, 2011 @ 10:11 pm

I just made these for a superbowl gathering I’m attending tomorrow and I almost liked the rice krispie, peanut butter, and chocolate bowl clean. OMG our home smells like a bakery! Cannot wait to taste this…two hours is torture!

schmabigail — February 6, 2011 @ 9:28 pm

After seeing this, I had to make it.

I changed it up a little and added 3-4 times as many rice krispies (to make it more like scotcheroos. Also, looking back, I wish I would have used like half the peanut butter required.

melissa — February 7, 2011 @ 5:34 pm

can i add some mini marshmallows to the reeses layer… ya know, just for some extra calories, since there clearly aren’t enough in this recipe already?

emjnorton — February 8, 2011 @ 12:45 am

I substituted peanuts for crushed pretzels and the results were super crunchy and extra salty.

Christine — February 8, 2011 @ 1:15 am

Just made these for the superbowl, and all I gotta say is *wow* these are the most fantastic brownies! i made em with ghirardelli double chocolate brownie mix which took about twenty minutes longer to cook after I added the reeses and peanuts, but good gracious it was worth it!!! They were devoured by halftime! Thank you so much for this keeper!

(i couldn’t fit in my new pants this mornin…i’m not too upset tho…)

Megan — February 8, 2011 @ 3:22 am

Anyone have any trouble with the two halves coming apart? They still tasted DELICIOUS but fell apart after I cut them…

• Jessica — February 8th, 2011 @ 3:26 am

That has never happened to me! Not sure why it would do that!

Amber — February 9, 2011 @ 3:36 am

Oh My! I made these for a friend’s birthday at work! It was a huge success…thank you for sharing such wonderful recipes. I am sure you will have a bunch of hits on your blog after today! Everyone was going home to check it out!

Gabriella — February 11, 2011 @ 2:50 am

I make a really similar brownie and they are to die for
    I’ve never heard of using reese’s my recipe comes from Buttercup Bakes and it uses marshmallows so it is like a smoresy rice krispie treat sort of thing. They are always a hit and so so yummy!

Merlot — February 20, 2011 @ 1:38 am

just made this with the ooooey gooooey brownies and its devine!!!

Al From Maine — April 4, 2011 @ 9:53 pm

Is this stuff legal? I am diabetic and it might kill me if I ate too many! Ah, what a way to go! I may make them for the family Easter get together!

Cliff @ livelovepasta — April 8, 2011 @ 11:42 am

I’m eating these right now for breakfast! Oh my are these rich and delicious!

Arbine — April 23, 2011 @ 2:16 am

Just made this. OMG. They are crazy good. Super rich. I recommend having some with a glass of milk or ice cream to cut the richness. :)

Kirsten — May 2, 2011 @ 1:45 am

Just made these. Currently warding off a sugar coma.

SO GOOD.

The Healthy Apple — May 2, 2011 @ 8:35 am

So much better than crack, hehe..these are fabulous! Can’t wait to make ‘em.

Cindy Coniglio — May 2, 2011 @ 11:12 am

These brownies did change my life! I love Jess for making them and being such a good friend. She is the best :) Cant wait to see you Friday!

Heather — May 6, 2011 @ 1:39 am

I would seriously consider competing in a figure competition if it included eating these brownies after:)

M — May 6, 2011 @ 2:44 pm

hi! just wanted to let you know that i made these for my boyfriend and his compliments were ENDLESS. here are a few:

-”these are the best things i’ve ever had”

continued to chew…

-”these are seriously on the ‘if i was on an island and only had three things to eat’ list”

taking a second brownie

-”actually, they are now officially on my ‘last meal’ list”

that, i believe, is the ultimate compliment

Crystal — May 11, 2011 @ 12:48 pm

Yeah, I just died and went to heaven. From one sweet tooth to another, THANK YOU FOR YOUR BLOG! All of your recipes are to die for!! Even the avocado one looks scrumptious. Keep up the great work. :)

Carpool Goddess — May 20, 2011 @ 8:16 pm

Wow! This looks like the most amazing recipe!!! Can’t wait to make them :)

nassaumary — May 25, 2011 @ 11:57 am

For those who don’t want peanut butter or peanuts – cut up a cook pecan pie into cubes and add to your brownie mix – TO DIE FOR!

• Shari — June 3rd, 2011 @ 6:05 pm

Now that sounds EXCELLENT – thanks for the tip!!!

steve — May 27, 2011 @ 10:32 am

you havent tried crack. you dont know.

Shari — June 3, 2011 @ 6:04 pm

Crack kills – but these look like they’d kill me! So delish. Thanks for the recipe!

Lainie — June 4, 2011 @ 10:09 pm

I just made these and, oh my…..they are seriously to DIE for. The ingredients encompass all of my favorite things (and I probably ate the equivalent of at least 5 brownies while making them because I kept sampling all the ingredients!). I have a feeling my pants will be tight tomorrow….but I still can’t stop eating these!

Miri Leigh — June 12, 2011 @ 12:21 am

Definitely agree with everyone before me– this recipe looks fantastic. Thanks for posting!

John Smith — June 20, 2011 @ 8:48 pm

This stuff is better than crack! I did crack back in the day and that’s the only reason I can compare the two. Actually, it depends. When i was feeling down crack was the only thing that would bring a smile to my face. Although these brownies are delicious, under very rare circumstances, crack is better. That is why I propose the name of these treats become usually better than crack brownies.

Liz Lemon — June 24, 2011 @ 2:33 pm

So i just made these….delicious. Only I added a layer of marshmallow cream between the brownies and the chocolate goo. My only complaint is that my brownie turned out more cake like and less ooey gooey. I would probably use a different brownie recipe next time.

1. Pingback: Food Recipes | Pearltrees

15. Pingback: Cozinha | Pearltrees

16. Pingback: Peanut Butter Rice Krispy Treat Brownies | My Everyday Harmony

17. Pingback: Ceep Calm and Waste Your Time | Pearltrees

18. Pingback: Gene Davis (manypriests) | Pearltrees

19. Pingback: Recipes | Pearltrees

20. Pingback: Erin (erl33) | Pearltrees

21. Pingback: Chocolate and Peanut Butter Brownie Crunch Bars « Cooking College Chick

22. Pingback: Recipe Sites | Pearltrees

23. Pingback: peanut butter cup crunch brownies

24. Pingback: PB Cup Rice Krispie Brownie Bars | Emilie's Enjoyables

25. Pingback: Day 7: Favorite Dessert. | OstlerClan

26. Pingback: 14 Peanut Butter Recipes for National Peanut Butter Cookie Day!

27. Pingback: From dreams to reality. (And a really good brownie.) | the aspiring baker

28. Pingback: The Little Bits 10.31.12 | KELLYGREEN [blog]

29. Pingback: 9 Amazing Super Bowl Recipes « PlaceFull Blog

30. Pingback: Chocolate Peanut 'Sin-ful' Brownies | Jennifer's Cakes

31. Pingback: Celebrate Friday With These Terrific Things - HooplaHa.com

32. Pingback: peanut butter cup crunch brownies.

33. Pingback: Fatoosh Tuesday | Marom Aviv Media

34. Pingback: Roasted Carrot, Squash & Sweet Potato Soup | The Healthy Junky

35. Pingback: Not Much to Say | Films, Food, and Beer

36. Pingback: Bridges and Brews | Films, Food, and Beer

37. Pingback: Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Special K-Bars - Half Baked Harvest

38. Pingback: Better Together | My Shiny Life

39. Pingback: Everyday's a 'Hollyday' | Big Step In Parenting

40. Pingback: Thursday Things: Summer Edition | Serving Sisters

41. Pingback: Better than Crack- Spreading Love through Food | Spread Amor

42. Pingback: Things I like Thursday | Crazy Jamie

43. Pingback: Fancy Brownies | Hannah Cooks

44. Pingback: Better-Than-Crack-Brownies {and this weeks menu plan} | A Tasty Life

45. Pingback: 15) Random: Häagen Crack | HijabiPunjabi