I’m sorry for doing this to you.

I really am.

But see, last Friday while I was on a 10-hour road trip heading for vacation, I received this recipe from a reader named Liz.

Liz, I love you. That’s all I have to say.

I was tortured by this recipe for a full 8 days before I could make it. I wanted to make it while I was on vacation, but couldn’t drag myself up off the couch to do so.

So it was the first thing I made when I returned home.

Better-Than-Crack Brownies I howsweeteats.com

These are an absolute sin.

I really don’t have any words, other than you must try them. They will change your life.

They may also change your waistline too.

But that’s okay.

It’s all in the name of chocolate.

Better-Than-Crack Brownies I howsweeteats.com

Better-Than-Crack Brownies

1 batch brownies (boxed mix or oooey gooey brownies)

1/2 cup salted peanuts (if don’t have salted, add sea salt)

1 cup chopped Reese’s peanut butter cups

1 1/2 cup milk chocolate chips

1 1/2 cup creamy peanut butter

1/2 tablespoon butter

1 1/2 cups Rice Krispies Cereal

Mix brownies according to directions, and bake for 20-25 minutes in a 9 x 13 baking dish. Remove and top with peanuts and peanut butter cups, and bake for 4-6 minutes more.

While they are finishing baking, melt chocolate chips, peanut butter and butter. Stir in cereal. Remove brownies from oven and evenly pour chocolate mixture over top.

Refrigerate for 2 hours before serving.

Better-Than-Crack Brownies I howsweeteats.com

Mr. How Sweet says these are healthy since they have peanuts for protein and good fat, and since the back of the Rice Krispie box says the cereal is a “healthy snack.”

I love the way this man thinks.

499 Responses to “Better-Than-Crack Brownies.”

Bigfan — July 19, 2012 @ 1:34 am

My mom makes these for us all the time! They are soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo good. Usually I roll my eyes at titles like “Better than crack” and admittedly I’ve never had crack, but they are definitely the ultimate brownies, imo.

Moya — July 19, 2012 @ 2:32 pm

These are amazing and look so sinful and delicious… I want one… now! :)

Bacon lover — July 20, 2012 @ 10:28 am

i say subtract the peanuts and add bacon!

• Jenni — October 13th, 2012 @ 3:48 pm

I like the way you think!! I’ve never made or had these before but adding bacon to the mix makes everything better. I can only imagine how these would be then!!!

Allicia Llewellyn — July 28, 2012 @ 2:24 pm

so, i make a version like these. I call them pms brownies because they help intensely with pas-ing. I add peanut butter to the chocolate and rice crispies and oreos instead or combined with the nuts and very chocolate-ly frosting for myself, or I cater the frosting and oreos to the person I make them for.

Ashley — August 9, 2012 @ 9:44 pm

My friend made these and brought me some tonight. Oh my goodness! They were SO delicious!! I think maybe she left the peanuts out, though. I will definitely be making these for myself in the near future! Thanks for sharing!

Jessica — August 10, 2012 @ 6:32 pm

These sound sooo good! Can I make them a day ahead of time? Should I keep them in the fridge overnight?

Danielle P. — August 26, 2012 @ 8:49 pm

You aren’t kidding. These are AMAZING!!! Thank you !!

Lauren — September 8, 2012 @ 9:48 pm

One word to describe these- AMAZING. These went really fast in our house. The brownie- chocolate-peanut butter-gooey- crispy combo was perfect. I will definitely be making these again- thank you! I made a couple changes including that I made a simple fudgy brownie rather than a boxed mix and subbed peanut butter chips for peanut butter cups because I had none. I also used only a cup each of chocolate chips and peanut butter and used 2 cups of cereal. Still very yummy. Added sprinkles on top too! :D Also- very yummy warm.

Tina — October 5, 2012 @ 2:35 pm

OMG!!! 453 comments at this time…I had to go through them all! The recipe is killer, they tasted killer, and they killed my thighs…and I did share them (1 quarter of the pan…that is sharing, right?)

Life Tips — October 29, 2012 @ 11:53 am

Lools super delicious. Enough said.

The Women Talk — November 1, 2012 @ 7:44 pm

They look sooo…. (drooling)….ooo delicious!

Deanna - mommyGAGA — December 4, 2012 @ 6:28 pm

OMG Deeelish! I might just have to make these.

Umar Jamil — December 5, 2012 @ 11:14 am

Can i have some please?

Jenny — February 4, 2013 @ 9:36 pm

What are you doing to me!? There goes my diet…

Lilly Sue — February 12, 2013 @ 5:58 pm

Wow, these look WAY better than crack ;) They look awesome! I wouldn’t mind one right now.

Kate — February 22, 2013 @ 4:07 pm

This may sound stupid…but when you make these with the “ooey gooey” brownie recipe, do you include the chopped oreos in the brownies?
    Also I need to comment that the comments on this post are ridiculous…? I usually read them for any suggestions when making recipes, because there’s always something! But…sheesh rough crowd for this one!

redfly — February 25, 2013 @ 11:09 am

delicious :)

Kathy — June 11, 2013 @ 2:30 am

I just pulled these out of the oven. Followed the recipe exactly. They look awesome and the house smells sooo good! The 2 hour wait, now, is torture! I can’t wait to try these and share (maybe) ha!

Rosy Huguley — July 1, 2013 @ 10:38 am

ost-menstrual syndrome is one of the most discomforting things for a female. It’s quite true that she experiences some of the most dramatic mental and physical changes during this time. Almost one-third of women suffer from this problem in their child bearing years. But it does not happen once they reach menopause. Other irritable symptoms of PMS are loss of appetite or a huge appetite, an itching pain in the vagina felt during intercourse and a feeling of dizziness and vomiting. A painful feeling can also be felt in the chest because it is insensitive for a short time. ;:,..

Most interesting brief article on our personal web blog
    <http://www.healthmedicinejournal.com

Jen — July 9, 2013 @ 10:39 pm

I made these and adapted for a gluten-free friend using gluten-free brownie mix and gluten free rice crispies (look for the specially labled box). The deliciousness on top of the brownie completely covers any hint of “hey that brownie is gluten free, how sad.” You’ll make an instant GF BFF.

Derpina — August 16, 2013 @ 3:27 pm

I hope that you suffer an actual crippling crack addiction at some point in your life.

Evi — September 25, 2013 @ 1:06 pm

I just wanted to say, this recipe is fantastic! I have lost count how many people have asked me to make these for them. Currently my brother’s girlfriend, who is a personal trainer and making plans for her one and only cheat day of the year, is insisting that I make a gluten free batch of these for her this weekend. EVERYBODY loves them and its no wonder why- how can you go wrong with chocolate and peanut butter? Lol. I do add a little something else to it though. When you put the peanuts and peanut butter cups on, I also add some peanut butter and white chocolate chips. =] Go big or go home, right? Haha. And I usually use dark chocolate brownie mix. However, this time I’m using this gluten free chocolate truffle brownie mix she has been hinting I should use. Lol. This recipe is, hands down, the BEST dessert I have ever baked. And I’ve done a lot of baking- it was sort of my thing while I was quitting smoking. =p Thank you so much for sharing it!

Debbie — September 25, 2013 @ 4:11 pm

These are the best things I’ve ever tasted!! They are devoured whenever I bring them to friends.

andrea — October 11, 2013 @ 9:45 pm

i’ve had these with marshmallows in the middle, as well. just bake the brownie, sprinkle them on, brown them in the oven, and cover with the chocolate/peanut butter/ rice krispie mixture! heavenly!

FRAN — October 19, 2013 @ 11:18 pm

Sound yummy==will be making an early morning trip to the store to get the ingredients in the morning.

Rahel Gibson — December 2, 2013 @ 9:18 pm

I made these but,added Reese’s prices to the brownie.they were so sinfully good.I got the recipe from a young lady at work. thanks jesse

Adam @ CorrChilled — May 9, 2014 @ 7:58 am

All hail Liz! Those look delicious :D

Elaine — May 21, 2014 @ 4:10 pm

This is probably the 50th time I’ve stopped by your page. Your recipes are just TOO darn good to pass up! Showing some love <3

Leelo R — July 30, 2014 @ 12:48 am

These look and sound so yummy! I have to try these :D

Nancy — October 7, 2014 @ 2:46 pm

Crack is pretty good, have you actually tried crack?

Natasha @ The Cake Merchant — October 20, 2014 @ 6:17 pm

I finally made these and they are ridiculous! Sometimes when I’m feeling lazy, I just make the top part, cut it into pieces, and eat it like a candy bar. So good!

1 4 5 6