BLT Salad.

Now this is my type of salad.

Minimal veggies, creamy cheese, crunchy croutons and bacon… I could eat one of these everyday.

It’s no secret that many times I get salads just for the toppings.

I used to only eat the toppings, and leave the lettuce behind. Lettuce is so boring, it deserved it.

Now I’ve mastered the strategic task of managing to get a bit of lettuce in each bite of toppings.

Not because I really want to. But because I feel like a 5-year old leaving a big old plate of lettuce.

There aren’t many dressings I love, so I topped this with a little bit of olive oil and lemon. I don’t like when dressings overpower the salad flavor – or should I say the bacon flavor, because we all know I don’t really care about the salad.

Ideally I’d love to top it with caesar dressing, but would prefer to have the bacon and to only clog my arteries in one way when I eat this.

And don’t forget the seasoning – salt and pepper make the salad.

BLT Salad

3 cups spring greens

1 oz fresh mozzarella, chopped

1 plum tomato, chopped

2 slices bacon, chopped

1 slice whole wheat bread, toasted

1/4 avocado, chopped

Combine all ingredients together in a bowl. Cut toasted wheat bread into croutons and add to salad. Top with salt, pepper and dressing of your choice.

After my gluttonous week on vacation, I feel much better posting a salad.

Not that it means anything. Especially since I ate it 2 weeks ago. And afterwards I probably had ice cream.

But it’s the thought that counts.

53 Responses to “BLT Salad.”

Marilou — August 4, 2010 @ 4:31 am

Salad and Ice Cream … sounds like my typical meal! It’s the great balancing act anyway :)

Erica — August 4, 2010 @ 4:32 am

Homemade croutons! So good. I agree with your salad dressing philosophy. I either do lemon juice and olive oil or vinegar and olive oil. Perfect.

Courtney @ Ice Cream & Wine — August 4, 2010 @ 4:32 am

This looks great – but bacon makes everything great, right?! :)

Jil — August 4, 2010 @ 4:33 am

This looks soo good! The bread and bacon are calling to me. hah

Amanda — August 4, 2010 @ 4:47 am

Oh no you didnt.

(so glad you did!)

That looks awesome. Like, a SALAD I would enjoy eating. :)

Heather — August 4, 2010 @ 4:48 am

confession: the only salads i really really enjoy have a higher ratio of croutons to anything else.

phew, that felt good!

Joanna Sutter (Fitness & Spice) — August 4, 2010 @ 5:02 am

Sounds delightful…I’ll save you my bacon!

A Teenage Gourmet — August 4, 2010 @ 5:26 am

My Mom had a BLT salad at Wolfgang Puck’s Spago, in Vegas. We absolutely loved it, so thanks for the reminder!

Nicole @ Making Good Choices — August 4, 2010 @ 5:27 am

I love your love of bacon!

Kelly @ Healthy Living With Kelly — August 4, 2010 @ 5:27 am

YES! This looks wonderful!!

Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg — August 4, 2010 @ 5:35 am

Mmmmmm….even as a vegetarian, this looks like my kind of salad! Is vegetarian bacon just completely sacreligious to you? :-)

• Jessica — August 4th, 2010 @ 5:39 am

Yes and yes.

amanda — August 4, 2010 @ 5:36 am

I agree the toppings are the things that seriously make a salad! Lately I have been using summer squash, cucumbers, hard boiled eggs, chicken, tofu, tomatoes, peppers, etc. I also love to add tons of my spices on the salad instead of dressing. Makes it more flavorable.

Jeanette — August 4, 2010 @ 6:16 am

That salad looks so good. I always balance out a salad with ice cream :). That’s called girl math.

jenna — August 4, 2010 @ 6:19 am

mmmm. blts and salads are two of my favorite things to eat. What a match made in heaven!

Bianca @ Confessions of a Chocoholic — August 4, 2010 @ 6:38 am

This reminded me that I haven’t had bacon in a loonnnggg time. Gotta get on it asap! ;)

Tina — August 4, 2010 @ 6:42 am

Your vacation doesn’t seem to indulgent to me. And the toppings are certainly what make a salad.

Sarena (The Non Dairy Queen) — August 4, 2010 @ 6:51 am

YUM! That salad looks so good! I love seeing the countless combinations that go on a salad! Homemade croutons always make the perfect topping!

Jenna — August 4, 2010 @ 6:58 am

Hey, you need the ying and the yang. The salad and the sweets. I’m with you on that one!

Madeline - Greens and Jeans — August 4, 2010 @ 6:59 am

Okay, I’ll make you peanut butter chocolate chip brownies if you make me this. Deal?

Kara @ MyWellnest — August 4, 2010 @ 7:02 am

I’m craving bacon so this looks beyond amazing right now!!!

Sara — August 4, 2010 @ 7:32 am

What a great salad! Of course, anything with bacon is bound to be good.

Wei-Wei — August 4, 2010 @ 7:39 am

Baaaaaaaaaacon. Lovely. ;)

Wei Wei

Matt — August 4, 2010 @ 7:45 am

LOL have you ever eaten a salad without bacon? If not, that is perfectly OK ;)

vanillasugar — August 4, 2010 @ 8:31 am

they say the salads i eat are called ‘man salads’ meaning it’s a topping only salad. LOL

Rae — August 4, 2010 @ 8:39 am

I love everything about this salad – bacon, cheese, croutons!
    I hated lettuce when I was little so my mom would make me a salad with everything BUT the lettuce. But my sister would only eat the lettuce. We were a funny pair back then.

Maria — August 4, 2010 @ 9:14 am

Hubs will love this salad!

Kath — August 4, 2010 @ 10:02 am

I love a BLT salad, and yours is beautiful!

MelissaNibbles — August 4, 2010 @ 10:06 am

That needs ranch dressing.

Blond Duck — August 4, 2010 @ 10:21 am

Cheese and bacon? So there!

I was reading this article about the worst foods in the US and saw a 1 lb bacon BLT. You couldn’t even see the veggies. It was glorious.

Kristina — August 4, 2010 @ 10:34 am

yes Yes YES !!

I make salads like this a lot… there has to be great toppings… the only difference is that I LOVE iceberg (I know, weird, right??).

Sues — August 4, 2010 @ 10:47 am

This is the perfect salad! And totally doesn’t need a heavy dressing at all. And since you’re using spinach/spring greens instead of regular old lettuce, you’re packing some vitamins in. BLTs are fabulous in any form!!!

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) — August 4, 2010 @ 11:04 am

enjoy your vacay,that’s all i gotta say! i am off to do some shopping later today for my job. have to find some things to wear LOL

homecookedem — August 4, 2010 @ 11:10 am

Lettuce is only an excuse to eat yummy toppings!! Looks great!! :)

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) — August 4, 2010 @ 11:28 am

Maybe you could come up with a bacon salad dressing!!?

Holly @ couchpotatoathlete — August 4, 2010 @ 12:17 pm

Croutons make a salad. Just give me lettuce and croutons and I’ll be happy — because I’ll eat the croutons and leave the lettuce.

I agree with Jolene — could you make a bacon salad dressing? Yum.

Gina @ skinnytaste.com — August 4, 2010 @ 12:22 pm

I love blt salads! I make them without the bread, but I think the croutons really add a nice touch to this!

Eliana — August 4, 2010 @ 1:42 pm

Pass the dressing because this is my idea of a great salad too :)

Amanda (Two Boos Who Eat) — August 4, 2010 @ 1:59 pm

yum! That salad looks amazing :)

Gracie @ Girl Meets Health — August 4, 2010 @ 4:55 pm

I’m loving the toasted wheat bread as croutons…great idea!

Karly — August 4, 2010 @ 5:30 pm

I think you and I may be soul mates. You have no ideas how many times I have ordered a salad, hold the lettuce. Well, that was back in high school when I wasn’t too embarrassed to eat that way. I kinda like lettuce now, but only iceberg.

Your salad looks yummy!

Megan @ Healthy Hoggin' — August 4, 2010 @ 6:48 pm

Oh, yum! I love BLT’s, but a salad seems like a healthier way to eat one! I don’t really mind eating lettuce when I have tasty toppings, either! In fact, salads are one of my favorite meals in the summer– there are so many variations! Thanks for sharing! :)

Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction — August 4, 2010 @ 7:11 pm

Yum… That’s my kind of salad, too!

ashleigh — August 4, 2010 @ 7:17 pm

I love EVOO and lemon as dressing… and you’re right salt + pepper are a must.
    If you’re eating salad for dinner (or lunch..) you need to chase it with ice cream!

Cara — August 4, 2010 @ 10:53 pm

My Mom makes the bestest poppyseed dressing, so I often eat salad as a vehicle for the yummy dressing.

Ellen@FirednFabulous — August 5, 2010 @ 4:52 am

Yeah, I tend to “balance” out healthy meals with ice cream too :)

Bridget — August 5, 2010 @ 7:28 am

This.Looks.AMAZING! Thanks for such a great recipe/idea/craving haha :)

Sheilah Miller — August 9, 2010 @ 5:15 pm

I’m currently on vacation on the Oregon Coast and I thought of you. We visited this little store called the Blue Heron in Tillamook and there I found bacon flavored dental floss, soap, and something else that I can’t remember off top my head. They have a website that you can look up if you are interested in it. I even took a picture to show you but I forgot the cable to transfer them. Thought I would just try to add to your bacon obssesion. :)

The Mommy — August 25, 2010 @ 1:09 pm

Um, thank you for this! I am currently Hoover-ing this salad and loving every bite. I’ve been planning to make this since yesterday evening and it was so.worth.the.wait.

Instead of croutons though I added leftover sweet potato nuggets from last night’s BBQ. Delicious addition!

• Jessica — August 25th, 2010 @ 1:11 pm

I am so glad you like it! And sweet potatoes sound delicious on there…

1. Pingback: Tweets that mention BLT Salad. | How Sweet It Is -- Topsy.com