I think I’ve died and gone to heaven.

I made this dessert last night and it is almost gone. Literally.

It is technically a chocolate tart, but I confess that I don’t have a tart pan. I don’t really want one either.

Well, that’s not entirely true. But I’ve come to the impression that if I bring home one more kitchen accessory I may just as well file for divorce. I can only stash away so many kitchen items in my closet too. My shoes need their space.

So I made the “tart” into bars. This way, you can eat smaller bites and it’s not like you eat as much. Especially when you eat the whole pan. Because you ate it in smaller bites, it doesn’t count. You know?

I don’t know which I love more – the crust or the chocolate?

You make a chocolate ganache filling which is so delectable that you can’t stand not eating it out of the saucepan. Who cares if you burn your tongue?

You basically stir high-quality chocolate into heavy cream:

Until it looks like this:

Then you pour it into this:

And after refrigerating, you wind up with this:

Friends, that is a raw, vegan crust.

Don’t worry, I totally de-veganized it with the milk chocolate and heavy cream. I wouldn’t want to lead you on.

I’m certainly no raw vegan chef, but this crust was fantastic!

The chocolate was incredible too. So fudgey and rich.

I wouldn’t mind an entire tub bowl filled with the chocolate filling.

I would have loved making the raw vegan version with young coconut meat, but the thought of hacking those coconuts apart makes me want to stick nails in my eyes. I have no interest in that. Now if someone wants to do it for me…

Coconut Crust

based on this recipe

2 cups shredded coconut

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

1/4 cup almond meal

3/4 cup maple syrup

1/3 cup coconut oil

Combine all ingredients in the bowl of an electric mixer and mix until combined. Spread coconut mixture in a tart pan or baking dish and refrigerate for 1-2 hours.

Chocolate filling

based on this recipe

1 cup heavy cream

1/2 cup milk (I used 2%)

6 ounces milk chocolate, chopped

6 ounces dark chocolate, chopped

2 tablespoons sugar

1 teaspoon vanilla

Heat heavy cream and milk in a saucepan over low heat. As soon as the milk starts to simmer and bubble around the sides, remove from heat and stir in chocolate. Once smooth, stir in sugar and vanilla. Pour on top of coconut crust and refrigerate (or freeze) for 2 hours.

I’m currently in a chocolate coconut coma.

And I need a shower.

45 Responses to “Chocolate Coconut Tart Bars.”

Evan Thomas — August 29, 2010 @ 7:15 am

Oh hell yes. I bet I’ll be doing a lot of raw vegan “baking” when I’m back in my dorm and resources are limited. You could definitely make a raw vegan filling with coconut milk, cashew butter, and cocoa powder. I’ll get back to you on that!

Lisa Mc — August 29, 2010 @ 7:23 am

These look like a must try! Thank you for making me laugh this morning, I love your writing style and sense of humor :)

Mary — August 29, 2010 @ 7:30 am

hh my goodness those look amazing!! I’ve got to give these a try :) Next time I’m home, that is..so they’re not all devoured by myself!

The Blue-Eyed Bakers — August 29, 2010 @ 7:41 am

Well you know you had us at chocolate coconut. Seriously. Chocolate coconut anything…we’ll take it. These bars look delicious!

Salah@myhealthiestlifestyle — August 29, 2010 @ 7:53 am

Chocolate + Coconut = my favorite combo other than chocolate + nut butter

Kristen @ That Hoosier Girl — August 29, 2010 @ 8:18 am

These look delish. I know my stores STILL don’t have the pumpkin for those muffins you made last week, but…they DO have coconut. I’m on it!

Kristina @ spabettie — August 29, 2010 @ 8:25 am

oh my GAAH I want to make this for breakfast!!

I spent summers in Hawaii with a coconut tree in the back yard… I will come over and crack coconuts for you, if you keep me in these tarts!

Lauren — August 29, 2010 @ 8:39 am

You….are evil. I swear I get fat just reading these recipes. Though, that being said, I love every second of it! I suppose you give, then you take, yes?

Courtney @ Bread & Bokeh — August 29, 2010 @ 9:07 am

Oh sweet gentle Jesus, that looks spectacular! Must. Try. Immediately!

homecookedem — August 29, 2010 @ 9:23 am

That looks like heaven in bar form!! :)

Madeline - Greens and Jeans — August 29, 2010 @ 10:24 am

That much coconut should be illegal.

Amanda (Two Boos Who Eat) — August 29, 2010 @ 10:24 am

I want to move in. Everything you make looks amazing. The crust sounds fabulous but the chocolate is what really won me over.

Gracie @ Girl Meets Health — August 29, 2010 @ 10:47 am

I think I would eat the crust on its own!! It could pass as an “energy bar,” right? :) If I made this recipe I think I’d use white chocolate for the filling. mmmm!

CaSaundra — August 29, 2010 @ 11:03 am

Honestly, your desserts always look SO SO good!! Please start your own bakery–I’d be a regular I promise! :-)

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) — August 29, 2010 @ 11:54 am

“Friends, that is a raw, vegan crust.”–OMG I have been rubbing off on you :)

Thanks for the linkage love. I feel so honored!!!

The choco layer. Girl you can totally keep this vegan, and gluten and soy free. See this is how my food allergenic brain works.

Choco layer can be coconut milk, coconut oil, cocoa powder, powdered sugar, vanilla. I have a recipe for vegan fudge and a recipe for vegan chocolate sauce. If you morph those two, you can achieve what you want for the top layer.

Of course, your recipe looks freakin amazing and there is absolutely no reason to mess with the perfection you have created :)

And can I just say from the bottom of my heart, I am crying right now b/c I truly mean this, if I didnt have you in my life, I would have given all this sh*t up a long time ago. You are such a ray of light; you are so positive, you are so amazing. I love you and our friendship truly means the world to me…I am writing this here for all the world to see :)

xoxo

• Heather — August 29th, 2010 @ 1:43 pm

and i’m going to second averie on this one :)

Heather — August 29, 2010 @ 1:42 pm

a chocolate shower?

yes please :)

Estela @ Weekly Bite — August 29, 2010 @ 2:36 pm

This looks delicious!

Jessica@tastyandtrim — August 29, 2010 @ 3:12 pm

Chocolate + coconut is one of my favorite combos! This recipe reminds me of a modern twist on the Girl Scout Samoa cookie which is hands down my favorite GS cookie of all time. I definitely need to try this!

Wei-Wei — August 29, 2010 @ 5:36 pm

I’m not a fan of coconut, but I have a question – what effect does almond meal have on baked goods? It’s really hard to come by here and a few recipes I’ve worked with have asked for it. I usually sub with flour, but I’m not sure what difference it makes. :S (And Averie’s comment is so sweet. I third her on that, too.)

Paige @ Running Around Normal — August 29, 2010 @ 5:54 pm

Mmmm – a raw vegan crust never looked so good!

Melanie — August 29, 2010 @ 6:48 pm

Wow. That’s all I can say!

Ellen@FirednFabulous — August 29, 2010 @ 6:59 pm

Wow, ANOTHER recipe I might actually be able to recreate all on my own. Love chocolate, love coconut, this sounds yummmy.

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) — August 29, 2010 @ 7:01 pm

Your photos are fantastic!!! Looks good!

Fit & Fab Mama — August 29, 2010 @ 7:39 pm

These look sooooo yummy! I wish I had one right now. I am just going to have to “settle” for some yogurt with blueberry caramel sauce (lol)! I made this over the weekend and enjoyed it with lots of ice cream. Dang it’s good. :)

Naomi(oneFF) — August 30, 2010 @ 2:35 am

omg these look so good!! and I have to agree with averie that I think you are such a great friend. Even though I havent met you in “real life” you have helped me so much and I know will continue to as I go through this prep. YOU ARE AWESOME and yes everyone needs to read that :)

Chrissy — August 30, 2010 @ 3:17 am

“Because if you eat it in smaller bites, it doesn’t count. You know?” made me laugh out loud, because it’s one of my main philosophies in life.

Also, testers don’t count. For example, I made muffins yesterday, and I had to taste one to make sure they were okay. So that tester muffin didn’t count.

Amanda — August 30, 2010 @ 4:56 am

This does look pretty amazing. I am not a huge coconut girl… but you have a way of dragging me out of my weird food funks… and into the light! :)

Avanika (Yumsilicious Bakes) — August 30, 2010 @ 5:01 am

This looks sooo good! And if I make it, it’ll be my first attempt at anything vegan. Woohoo!

Debbi Does Dinner Healthy — August 30, 2010 @ 5:21 am

Excellent recipes! I wouldn’t mind a tub filled with that either! I’m the same way with kitchen accessories. I get glared at when I buy new ones. We have a very small kitchen and unless I use it OFTEN, I just don’t get it. Keep hiding them in the closet though! They are fun to have!

Kristy — August 30, 2010 @ 5:25 am

I REALLY shouldn’t be reading this post before I’ve had breakfast because I could go for one of those! heehee I looks amazing and I’m sure it tasted amazing! I am in the same boat as you with gadgets! TOO MANY, trying to simplify! :)

Kacy — August 30, 2010 @ 5:26 am

Looks fantastic! Chocolate and coconut might be my all time favorite sweet combination – even moreso than chocolate and peanut butter.

Lauren at KeepItSweet — August 30, 2010 @ 5:32 am

i don’t like coconut but i’d gladly eat the top of that!!

Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine — August 30, 2010 @ 5:38 am

You could totally make the top layer vegan with coconut milk. Actually, I might have to do that because this looks freaking FANTASTIC!

Kylie @ A Hungry Spoon — August 30, 2010 @ 10:23 am

Who needs a tart pan?! This looks heavenly just as it is. I’ve actually never used coconut oil before, but the pictures of this dessert make a convincing argument as to why I should start!

Have a great day!

Jennifer @ Frost Bites — August 30, 2010 @ 10:30 am

That looks sooo good! I love coconut, too and I’m going to have to try your recipe. Thanks.

Natalie (The Sweets Life) — August 30, 2010 @ 1:08 pm

my kind of dessert!

you should totally get a tart pan. i just did ($8!) and i’m in love!

Lauren — August 30, 2010 @ 5:40 pm

Oh my Oh my goodness! Why doesn’t this computer have smelling capabilities? I can only imagine! :)

Katrina — August 30, 2010 @ 7:13 pm

Your chocolate filling is amazing! I just made these, and am printing the recipe for my “regular” baked goods book :)

gina (fitnessista) — August 31, 2010 @ 6:45 am

thank you for the lovely shout out! <3
    those look RIDICULOUS. i really wish you lived closer ;) i'm an excellent taste tester
    heh heh
    xoxo

Jenn AKA The Leftover Queen — August 31, 2010 @ 8:07 pm

OK, your last couple of posts have been just droolworthy!

marla {family fresh cooking} — August 31, 2010 @ 8:32 pm

Gosh, all these recipes to catch up on. These bars look great & I love how simple they are to prepare…..maybe a bit too simple for my own good ;)

Kathy — September 4, 2010 @ 3:35 pm

Another great combo! I made a few revisions and I will tell you why: I used melted butter b/c I could not find coconut oil, and I baked the crust for 25 minutes…I put it in the fridge after I made it, but it looked too raw for me (maybe if I toasted the coconut first, then I wouldn’t have to bake it. Also, thanks to your salty caramel cookie, I have been putting sea salt on all my chocolate, so I stirred a little in the chocolate-mmmmmmmm!

Diane — September 19, 2010 @ 10:37 am

Where does one find Almond Meal?

• Jessica — September 19th, 2010 @ 11:29 am

I get mine at Trader Joe’s where the nuts are, but if you can’t find it you can simple ground almost to a powder – just don’t turn them into nut butter! :)