Or in a jar.

This is the same jar that you see all of my smoothies in. Yes, I only have one jar. In fact, it is Mr. How Sweet’s jar and it is from Bass Pro Shops. It is the one item that I allowed him to bring from his stinky bachelor pad. It makes me feel… southern.

Actually, that’s a lie – I let him bring other items, but they have since been banished to his room: the garage. Except for that darn turkey. Don’t even get me started.
I actually added apples to this smoothie, and it was my first time. Prior to this, I was an apple smoothie virgin.

I thought that roasted apples would add a more intense, sweet flavor, so I used the lazy man’s method of roasting and microwaved half of a honeycrisp with some spices.

Excellent idea.

I’m sure that actually roasting or caramelizing the apples would be delicious for the smoothie, but I don’t have time for such shenanigans.  Especially since this was an attempt to make a quick snack that I can drink! Drinking = portability and ease.

Except when it comes to rum. I wouldn’t suggest making your rum portable.
Though now that I have mentioned rum, I think it may be pretty incredible in this smoothie. Kind of like a spiked apple cider smoothie?

Apple Pie in a Glass Jar
1 cup milk (I used vanilla almond milk, it’s what I had on hand)

1/3 cup vanilla greek yogurt

1/2 large honeycrisp apple, chopped

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

1 tablespoon graham cracker crumbs

1/2 teaspoon cinnamon

2 pinches of nutmeg

pinch of ground cloves

pinch of cardamom

Sprinkle the chopped apples with 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon and a pinch of nutmeg. Microwave (or roast/caramelize) for 60 seconds until apples are soft and sweet.

In a blender, combine milk, yogurt, vanilla, apples, and spices. Blend until smooth. Stir in graham cracker crumbs – they add a nice crunch! Sprinkle with additional cinnamon or all spice.

And there you have it – apple pie in a glass (jar)!

78 Responses to “Apple Pie In A Glass.”

Low — September 26, 2010 @ 4:13 pm

How delicious! I love that idea.

Amy — September 26, 2010 @ 4:33 pm

I hate to even tell you this, but I just added some spinach to this and it made the BEST green smoothie ever! Anything to cover up the flavor of veggies is good with me :)

• Jessica — September 26th, 2010 @ 5:30 pm

No worries… I drink a spinach smoothie every morning! I need to get my veggies in SOME way. :)

Katie @ cozydelicious — September 26, 2010 @ 5:24 pm

Oooh, for a while Neb and Jerry’s sold an apple pie fro yo that was to die for. I almost cried when it went away. This soomthie reminds me of that sweet treat. I totally have to make it!

Deidra @ ::Frugalistic:: — September 26, 2010 @ 6:18 pm

You’re killing me over here with all that tasty goodness .. *slurp*

Tracy — September 26, 2010 @ 8:08 pm

I want one of these for dessert right now!!

One Healthy Apple — September 26, 2010 @ 8:25 pm

Are you kidding? This was made for me. I would love to make this. I bet a little liquor or um, brandy would work with this too!

Nicole, RD — September 27, 2010 @ 3:45 am

Perfection in a glass…yum!

Mary @ Stylefyles — September 27, 2010 @ 6:22 pm

wow, this looks like such a snap. I definitely want to try it out! How creative and perfect for fall!!!

Jenn AKA The Leftover Queen — September 27, 2010 @ 7:58 pm

This looks amazingly delicious!

Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction — September 28, 2010 @ 6:49 pm

Wow! That is one fascinating smoothie… I’m totally intrigued and will probably have to try it!

megan — September 29, 2010 @ 6:41 am

You make the best smoothies. I just got a new blender and I’m still dreaming of that smoothie that had the snickerdoodle in it.

RunningOnCoffee — September 30, 2010 @ 10:07 am

Just wanted to let you know I tried out your apple smoothie yesterday morning and also posted a link to your recipe on my blog yesterday.

Just curious- Did you find the consistency of the skin to be kind of weird in your smoothie, or did you cook the apples enough that the skin was not an issue? I think I will make it again, and try peeling the apple first (though I’m sure I’ll be missing some of the fiber from leaving the skin on).

• Jessica — September 30th, 2010 @ 10:10 am

Skin wasn’t an issue for me – I used a honey crisp and the skin was very thin, then I microwaved it so it was very soft. I also pulverized it in the blender. :)

Gina @ Skinnytaste — October 2, 2010 @ 6:57 pm

This looks great, saw this on foodgawker!!

Marisa — October 5, 2010 @ 8:24 am

Yummo! Made an apple pie smoothie myself a while ago, but I like the idea of roasting the apple first. And of course, who wouldn’t love crunchy graham cracker crumbs on top. Great idea & one I’ll definitely be trying.

Ingrid — October 14, 2010 @ 11:41 am

Nover had an apple smoothie…Another great find! :)

Susiechacha — September 27, 2011 @ 10:10 pm

You are oh-so-right. I made one with spiced rum and it was to die for. Yummm.

Blair — April 19, 2013 @ 11:14 pm

Brown the skin and the meat inside is cooked perfectly.
    The Nu – Wave Oven is a countertop oven that uses infrared technologies to cook
    the meals. Offering cuisines that were prepared by French chefs,
    The Cooking Party is a great way to start and celebrate important functions, celebrations and even corporate team
    building.

alternative medicine atlanta — April 22, 2013 @ 10:48 pm

and it comes directly from the more than 8,000 doctors and researchers
    at Harvard Medical School. Pregnancy induces intra-abdominal pressures that also culprits these abnormalities.
    Energy Medicine: Reiki, Therapeutic touch, Qi Qong & anything
    that deals with healing through the energy powers of the world and body.

1. Pingback: Tweets that mention Apple Pie Smoothie | How Sweet It Is -- Topsy.com

2. Pingback: Shaking Into Fall « CleanTeenKelsey