Since it’s September, I no longer feel like I am committing a sin by using pumpkin.

Is it back on the shelves?

I wouldn’t know – I’m still using pumpkin from last year. And I’m darn proud of it.

I love these breakfast cakes for multiple reasons. First, I don’t think I’ve ever made a breakfast cake. I don’t really know what considers this a breakfast cake, but I like the name. And obviously I would love eating cake for breakfast. Who wouldn’t?

Second – individual portions. I think that speaks for itself. If I eat two ramekins of cake, I really only had two pieces of cake. Right? That’s what I thought.

Third, I made them with whole wheat flour. I don’t care if that means nothing since there is sugar, butter and a doubly sugary glaze hiding in all the cake crevices, but I like it. It makes me feel good in my bones.

Notice I only made two breakfast cakes.

“Only” is the operative word here considering there is only one person in this house that likes pumpkin. And it isn’t Mr. How Sweet.

You do the math.

(Because, seriously, I’m really bad at math.)

Individual Pumpkin Spice Breakfast Cakes

1/8 cup cake flour

1 teaspoon baking powder

1/8 teaspoon salt

1/4 teaspoon pumpkin spice

1/4 teaspoon cinnamon

Preheat oven to 350.

Cream butter and sugar together until light and fluffy. Add egg and mix until well combined. Add in vanilla and pumpkin. Mix dry ingredients together and add to pumpkin batter, only mixing until just combined.

Spray 2 ramekins with non-stick spray and pour batter into them. Bake for 30-35 minutes or until inserted toothpick comes out clean.

Maple Glaze

3/4 cup powdered sugar

1/2 tablespoon maple syrup

drop of water

Mix syrup, water and sugar together to form a glaze. Depending on desired consistency, add more or less liquid.

Off to have cake for breakfast!

It doesn’t get any better.

(Unless there is bacon involved.)

126 Responses to “Pumpkin Spice Breakfast Cakes.”

Christina — September 16, 2010 @ 5:29 pm

No pumpkin on the shelves in Southern Oregon yet, but they had the the whole pie pumpkins so I bought one and roasted and pureed it. Totally worth it since I’m eating pumpkin bread right now. Still have 2 1/2 cups of puree to freeze and I think I’ll try this recipe since it doesn’t use a ton of pumpkin!

Adrianna from A Cozy Kitchen — September 17, 2010 @ 11:05 am

Holy moly! These look amazing. Love! It’s still too hot in LA to make anything with pumpkin, but as soon as it hits October I’ll be all over it.

Penny Lane — September 20, 2010 @ 10:44 pm

I just wanted to share that my grandma and I are addicted to these tasty little cakes. We have eaten them 3 times the last week. Thank goodness for kettlebell workouts to counteract the deliciousness of these treats. We tried it with a creamcheese/maple/pumpkin spice frosting the other day and mmmmm it was tasty! Thanks for sharing

Annie — September 1, 2011 @ 8:36 pm

We added semi-sweet chocolate chips to ours- definitely worth tasting!

Desdemona — March 12, 2012 @ 6:10 am

Aaaaw, this was THE BEST BREAKFAST. Totally worth getting up early to slaughter my very last pumpkin… had this one with maple sirup and totally ate them both at once. Thanks so much for sharing these great recipes! U ve got fans in Germany ;)

• Jane — November 19th, 2012 @ 10:01 am

Hi I have given up adding sugar. Would it be okay to leave it out and perhaps add stevia or something similar? Rice Syrup or agave syrup for sweetness?

1. Pingback: Friday Favorites – Episode 65 | my kitchen addiction