Since it’s September, I no longer feel like I am committing a sin by using pumpkin.

Is it back on the shelves?

I wouldn’t know – I’m still using pumpkin from last year. And I’m darn proud of it.

I love these breakfast cakes for multiple reasons. First, I don’t think I’ve ever made a breakfast cake. I don’t really know what considers this a breakfast cake, but I like the name. And obviously I would love eating cake for breakfast. Who wouldn’t?

Second – individual portions. I think that speaks for itself. If I eat two ramekins of cake, I really only had two pieces of cake. Right? That’s what I thought.

Third, I made them with whole wheat flour. I don’t care if that means nothing since there is sugar, butter and a doubly sugary glaze hiding in all the cake crevices, but I like it. It makes me feel good in my bones.

Notice I only made two breakfast cakes.

“Only” is the operative word here considering there is only one person in this house that likes pumpkin. And it isn’t Mr. How Sweet.

You do the math.

(Because, seriously, I’m really bad at math.)

Individual Pumpkin Spice Breakfast Cakes

1/8 cup cake flour

1 teaspoon baking powder

1/8 teaspoon salt

1/4 teaspoon pumpkin spice

1/4 teaspoon cinnamon

Preheat oven to 350.

Cream butter and sugar together until light and fluffy. Add egg and mix until well combined. Add in vanilla and pumpkin. Mix dry ingredients together and add to pumpkin batter, only mixing until just combined.

Spray 2 ramekins with non-stick spray and pour batter into them. Bake for 30-35 minutes or until inserted toothpick comes out clean.

Maple Glaze

3/4 cup powdered sugar

1/2 tablespoon maple syrup

drop of water

Mix syrup, water and sugar together to form a glaze. Depending on desired consistency, add more or less liquid.

Off to have cake for breakfast!

It doesn’t get any better.

(Unless there is bacon involved.)

126 Responses to “Pumpkin Spice Breakfast Cakes.”

Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg — September 8, 2010 @ 3:54 am

Cake for breakfast. Yes.

I wish I had thought to save pumpkin. I found one precious little can at our organic food store, and I’m hoarding it like a squirrel. I caught Ryan touching it the other day and I yelled at him.

Kristin @ Peace, Love and Muesli — September 8, 2010 @ 3:56 am

Yummy! A little sweet for me for breakfast but lovely for dessert or an after school treat.

Lauren at KeepItSweet — September 8, 2010 @ 4:08 am

oh wow yum!

Tabitha (From Single to Married) — September 8, 2010 @ 4:09 am

Oh man – pumpkin AND I can have them for breakfast too? Perfect!!

newlywed — September 8, 2010 @ 4:11 am

Will have to eat these two on my own…my crazy husband won’t touch pumpkin. From the looks of these though, that’s nothing to complain about!

Annie@stronghealthyfit — September 8, 2010 @ 4:11 am

Those are adorable! Maybe they would be good for holiday gatherings.

Estela @ Weekly Bite — September 8, 2010 @ 4:12 am

Breakfast cakes sound good to me! And its the perfect time for pumpkin!!

Wei-Wei — September 8, 2010 @ 4:18 am

Mix in some crumbled bacon, baby. Now THAT’S breakfast.

Erika @ Food, Fitness, & Fun — September 8, 2010 @ 4:25 am

Cake for breakfast? I’m in! :-)

Naomi(oneFF) — September 8, 2010 @ 4:32 am

oh my gawwwdddd…i havent even had breakfast yet! I was jsut staring at that last pic of the frosting inside the cake for a good 30 seconds hahaa im such a loser

Katrina — September 8, 2010 @ 4:33 am

These look awesome! I love pumpkin. Mmmm breakfast cake :)

Sarena (The Non Dairy Queen) — September 8, 2010 @ 4:34 am

Pumpkin is a weakness I have. Sadly, I have non left over and have not found any yet. However, when I do, I imagine I will be orange for the rest of the season! These look amazing!

Nicole, RD — September 8, 2010 @ 4:36 am

Those look amazing! I am making those this weekend!

Danielle @ crispandverdant - Every Day is Fresh — September 8, 2010 @ 4:37 am

Ramekins are just so fun to eat out of!

Erica — September 8, 2010 @ 4:39 am

I love pumpkin and am so glad Fall is coming. My pantry is going to be stocked with lots of canned pumpkin as well! This looks great as usually!

ida — September 8, 2010 @ 4:40 am

Just genius! I love the idea of breakfast cake, and hoarding pumpkin.

Kat — September 8, 2010 @ 4:54 am

I’m going to leave work immediately and go home to make these.

Rhea (Greek Feaster) — September 8, 2010 @ 4:56 am

Where do you buy your pumpkin? I got a can of fancy organic pumpy-kin for $2.59 this weekend!!! There’s a gotta be a better way…

• Jessica — September 8th, 2010 @ 5:44 am

I get pumpkin at my local grocery store, but I haven’t bought any yet this year. I am still using some that I bought last year!

Paula — September 8, 2010 @ 4:57 am

looks divine!

have a nice time!
    Paula

MelissaNibbles — September 8, 2010 @ 5:12 am

Can I just eat a ramikin of the glaze? YUM!

Heather — September 8, 2010 @ 5:18 am

WAAAAAAAAAH why can i not find pumpkin anywhere?! (I know why, but I’m still sad)…

Rachel (Two Healthy Plates) — September 8, 2010 @ 5:18 am

Loooove pumpkin for breakfast – can you send me two of those?

Katie @ Health for the Whole Self — September 8, 2010 @ 5:31 am

I think I know what I’m having for breakfast tomorrow morning…CAKE! :)

Kim in MD — September 8, 2010 @ 5:32 am

This looks amazing! I love pumpkin, and this looks like the perfect breakfast for the upcoming cool, Fall mornings!

Poor Mr. How Sweet- first the veggie enchiladas and now pumpkin! I’m not usually one to give advice, but I think maybe you should make something tonight that he WILL eat! ;-) LOL

Kristy — September 8, 2010 @ 5:34 am

Ohhh…Myyy..Godd… That is all… :-)

PS: Feel free to mail me some of these for my birthday. No Big Deal, Right?

Mackenzie@The Caramel Cookie — September 8, 2010 @ 5:42 am

What a perfect breakfast :)!

Julie @SavvyEats — September 8, 2010 @ 5:53 am

YUM. Now that I actually have ramekins, I’ll have to make this sometime!

Tracy — September 8, 2010 @ 6:06 am

YAY for pumpkin season! I can’t wait to get baking with pumpkin…these look wonderful, and cake is perfectly acceptable for breakfast. ;-)

marla {family fresh cooking} — September 8, 2010 @ 6:08 am

Ha! I broke open last years pumpkin the other day too! These cakes look great, love that maple glaze :)

Sophie @ yumventures — September 8, 2010 @ 6:08 am

Yum! I’m SO EXCITED that its PUMPKIN SEASON!

Matt — September 8, 2010 @ 6:13 am

How about a side of bacon? You need some protein ;)

• Jessica — September 8th, 2010 @ 6:24 am

I think you are my soulmate.

• Matt — September 8th, 2010 @ 12:43 pm

Thanks :)

I really need to eat some bacon now.

Jenna — September 8, 2010 @ 6:26 am

This just makes my heart happy. I’m already so excited for anything and everything pumpkin, but then to make a breakfast cake out of it? Swoon. Happy girl.

Chrissy — September 8, 2010 @ 6:28 am

I gotta side with Mr. How Sweet on the pumpkin. I don’t like it, but that’s right up my boyfriend’s alley. I will have to make these for him! (I think he’ll especially like them with the non-cream cheese glaze)

• Jessica — September 8th, 2010 @ 7:56 am

Wow – we really DO have complete opposite tastebuds. :)

Beth@ after5chef — September 8, 2010 @ 6:37 am

I’m with Kat – forget this desk-in-a-cubicle life … I want to go home and bake! I’ll be making these this weekend, thanks! :)

Talia @ Texas Gunslinger — September 8, 2010 @ 6:52 am

Dear Lord, that looks good! MAMA MIA, I need help picking my jaw off from the floor! I have a countdown on my phone to my competition, but I think the countdown now has new meaning– >days until I can eat this PUMPKIN SPICE BREAKFAST CAKE! Holy geez! I’m so glad I have two cans of pumpkin in my pantry because I know just what I’m making in November! YOU ROCK! :)

Erica — September 8, 2010 @ 6:58 am

mmm pumpkin so good. I did find a couple cans in my local grocery store! And have already made pumpkin muffins twice! The individual cakes are adorable

Shanna, Like Banana — September 8, 2010 @ 7:18 am

I am so makin’ this recipe. And maple glaze to boot? You are awesome!

Chicago Cuisine Critique — September 8, 2010 @ 7:21 am

Yum. These are making my mouth water. I love anything pumpkin!

Jenny — September 8, 2010 @ 7:26 am

OH MY GOODNESS! Where is everyone getting their pumpkin from?! I can’t find it anywhere??

So someone, please assist me.

Where has the pumpkin gone?

• Jessica — September 8th, 2010 @ 7:55 am

I haven’t bought any this year – using it from last year when I stocked up!

Madeline - Greens and Jeans — September 8, 2010 @ 7:36 am

If I could jump through the screen and kiss you for this recipe, I totally would. Now if Libby’s would only get their act together…

alison — September 8, 2010 @ 7:36 am

These look amazing!! Loving your site!

• Jessica — September 8th, 2010 @ 7:51 am

Thank you! :)

Kristina @ spabettie — September 8, 2010 @ 7:37 am

bacon crumbled on top !!! :)

DO it.

I saw ONE can of pumpkin in the store, and was shocked! :) of course I bought it. I have some from last year. or um, last time I ordered the case online. whatever. ;)

we used most of it last weekend, we made Pumpkin Ale. :)

• Jessica — September 8th, 2010 @ 7:51 am

Bacon on top sounds amazing.

Dana — September 8, 2010 @ 7:40 am

I still haven’t found any pumpkin… you’re smart to have stocked up! I NEED to make yummy pumpkin dishes like this!

Noelle @Opera Singer in Kitchen — September 8, 2010 @ 7:41 am

Looks really yummy! I had trouble finding pumpkin here to make some pumpkin scones, but it was worth the whopping 3 dollars a can to make something fallish, you know?

Amanda (Two Boos Who Eat) — September 8, 2010 @ 7:42 am

I cannot find pumpkin for the life of me :( But I bookmarked this anyway. There’s got to be someone selling it on the black market right? These look way too good to pass up!

Cindy Coniglio — September 8, 2010 @ 7:43 am

I love your blog! Keep up the good work!! Cant wait to see you, Mr. Sweet, and my crack brownies this weekend..xoxo

• Jessica — September 8th, 2010 @ 7:51 am

I can’t wait either! Love you!

Eliana — September 8, 2010 @ 7:46 am

Now I have Fall and Pumpkin on my mind. These look heavenly.

Jessie (Bites and Pieces) — September 8, 2010 @ 7:53 am

I just used up my last can of pumpkin that I saved from last year to make muffins. Now I am wishing I had saved it for your breakfast cake! I guess I will just have to find myself some more cans. Looks delicious!

Bianca @ Confessions of a Chocoholic — September 8, 2010 @ 7:59 am

Mmm-mmm pumpkin! The individual serving ramekins are the best.

Camille — September 8, 2010 @ 8:00 am

I’m surprised you didn’t put bacon in the cake!
    My boyfriend and I were at the farmer’s market the other day and he had a cupcake topped with caramelized bacon. Apparently it was the most delicious thing ever, so I am suggesting you try one :)

1 2 3