This cookie has been a long time coming.

You may remember that last year I baked some red velvet cookies, but used a boxed mix. Those cookies are delicious, but it was my mission to find a recipe for red velvet cookies from scratch. And the kicker? I wanted the cookies to be chewy. The only other red velvet cookie recipes from scratch that I’ve tried have been cakey cookies – which are delicious in their own sense, but I wanted a dense, chewy cookie.

After many attempts (read: massive fails) at the cookies over the last 10 months, I gave it another go this weekend and came up with something delectable.

And by delectable, I mean I ate 3 cookies straight off the pan and scorched my tongue. It’s okay… it was all in the name of cookies.
Even though red velvet is technically just rich chocolate, there is something fun and exciting about eating it. Dare I say the cookies taste better then regular cookies? I may be in my twenties, but I’m really just 5 years old.

Red Velvet Chocolate Chip Cookies

makes 12-15 cookies

1/2 cup butter

1/2 cup sugar

1/2 cup brown sugar

1 egg

1 teaspoon vanilla

1 1/2 cups all purpose flour

1 teaspoon baking soda

1/4 teaspoon salt

1/3 cup cocoa powder

1 teaspoon red food coloring

1/2 cup chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 375.

Cream butter and sugars together until fluffy in the bowl of an electric mixer. Add egg and vanilla and combine until smooth. Beat in red food coloring. Stir in cocoa, flour, baking soda and salt until just combined, scraping down the sides when needed. Fold in chocolate chips.

Using an ice cream scoop, scoop out 1-2 tablespoons of dough and set on baking sheet. Bake for 10-12 minutes.

After eating a few cookies, I got a little delirious and did something wild.

Red velvet sandwich cookies stuffed with pumpkin spice cream cheese frosting. Best decision ever.

321 Responses to “Red Velvet Chocolate Chip Cookies – from scratch!”

Apoool — February 5, 2013 @ 8:30 am

I really want to try this recipe but we don’t have an oven.. All i can use is a toaster oven.. Can i make this using only a toaster oven? Any tips??? :)))

• Maui — February 4th, 2014 @ 11:36 pm

This is what I do since I’m too lazy to clean our oven. What I do is set the timer to a “quarter”. Then I turn the baking sheet then set the timer again a little less than a quarter this time. You also need to keep a eye on it so it wont burn.

kylie — April 20, 2013 @ 3:17 am

are this chewy cookies?

AndrewD — April 23, 2013 @ 9:13 pm

Did not turn out red and stayed in little balls didn’t go into cookie shape

Dwayne Hoben — April 24, 2013 @ 4:03 pm

There’s just something special about homemade cookies, especially chocolate chip cookies, so far as I’m concerned. It’s a great family activity, something even children can help with, and everyone loves eating the results.’

<Our blog '";;"http://www.caramoan.co/caramoan-tour-package/

CARRIE WILSON — June 6, 2013 @ 8:23 pm

Recipe wasn’t bad however they did not spread. I made the recipe twice thinking that I screwed something up. I will say that this is an excellent duplicate recipe of the red velvet pazookie from BJ’s restaurant. I pressed the dough in a pint size ramekin and undercooked it slightly. As soon as it came out of the oven, I topped it with vanilla bean ice cream and served it immediately!!!!! Absolutely heavenly!!!!!!

Araya — August 29, 2013 @ 7:17 pm

i didnt have chocolate chips or red food coloring so i made it without. i hope they will taste good!

RON — October 28, 2013 @ 11:21 am

I made these last night . They looked and felt great. Put an ice cream size on the sheet and place in oven but they never did anything . They stayed round and looked like a cookie ball lol. Should I have pressed them down or did I miss something? they still taste great anyway.
    TY

Holly — December 9, 2013 @ 7:02 pm

I just made a batch and they are delicious. So much better than the boxed cake mix version. Your tireless efforts to perfect this recipe are much appreciated :)

JustWondering — December 14, 2013 @ 7:07 pm

About how many cookies does this recipe yield?

• Tricia — May 17th, 2014 @ 3:02 pm

I got 20 with a small ice cream scooper

Tricia — May 17, 2014 @ 2:59 pm

These came out delicious! Very chewy and soft…added a few chips on top after they came out of the oven. Also baked at 350 for 11 minutes.

Andrea — August 4, 2014 @ 1:03 pm

I disagree completely. Red velvet is not just rich chocolate. What makes red velvet cake so special is the vinegar and buttermilk which are missing from your recipe

1 3 4 5

1. Pingback: Jagermeister Oatmeal Cookies & Candy Bar Red Velvet Cookies! | Unremarkable

2. Pingback: Red Velvet Chocolate Chip Cookies | A Cynful Journey

3. Pingback: Jagermeister Oatmeal Cookies & Candy Bar Red Velvet Cookies! | Hungry Holly Runs

4. Pingback: Chewy Red Velvet Chocolate Chip Cookies | Spatulas & Buttons