[Good news - we are in the midst of switching servers! I apologize if the site is still a bit slow or not loading, but all should be well soon. I'll be on my own little server and back to normal! Thank you for your patience, and thank you everyone who has continue to reload and refresh the page to leave me a comment. You guys are awesome.]
Ever since making my first batch of homemade crackers a few weeks ago, I have been enthralled at the thought. Not only are they easy to make, but they just taste so much better than store bought, boxed crackers laden with ingredients I can’t even pronounce.

And all I could think about was topping crispy, crunchy crackers with mounds and mounds of cheese.
My family has been obsessed with everything flatbread crackers for years, so naturally, these were next on my list to make.

I used both whole wheat and all-purpose flour, hoping for a more hearty cracker.

And I didn’t roll the dough out into a perfect rectangle because first, I am not skilled enough to do so and didn’t feel like throwing a tantrum, and second, I wanted the crackers to have a rustic look. I thought it would be fun to lay the sheet of crackers down and have guests break off what they wanted.
For my “everything” seasonings, I used poppy seeds, sesame seeds, minced onion, garlic powder, course sea salt and crackers black pepper.

Everything crackers tend to also have either caraway seeds and/or fennel seeds, but I don’t like either of them. Both of them remind me of sausage, which reminds me of… well, it’s too gross to say.

So I left ‘em out. Feel free to add whatever seeds you’d like.

My favorite parts are the bubbles.

And check out how thin they are. Crispy and crunchy.

Just my style.
We ate these with some sliced fontina cheese and campari tomatoes. They would be delicious dipped in hummus and with gorgonzola-stuffed olives too.

Mr. How Sweet thinks they are good with just plain pepperoni, but what does he know? He has the taste buds of a 5-year old.

I could live on a plate of these alone. The sharp, tangy cheese and sweet tomatoes add the perfect bite. I’m sure eventually I would want some chocolate or bacon, but let’s just live this up while we can.

Everything Flatbread Crackers

2 tablespoons sesame seeds

2 tablespoons minced onion

1 tablespoon garlic powder

1 teaspoon sea salt

freshly cracked black pepper

Preheat oven to 350.

In a food processor, pulse flours, salt and sugar until combined. Add in cold butter and pulse until mixture is combined and the butter is in course crumbs. Stream in milk while pulsing the processor until the dough forms.

Form dough into a ball with your hands and chill in the refrigerator for about 30 minutes.

After 30 minutes, flour surface and a rolling pin, and roll out dough until it is very thin. Gently lift dough and place it on a baking sheet. Don’t worry about it being a perfect rectangle.

Beat egg in a small bowl, and brush onto dough. Sprinkle seasonings of choice on, then lightly press to make sure they adhere.

Bake for 5 minutes, rotate pan, and bake for 5 minute more. Check crackers and bake in 3 minute intervals until crisp and golden brown. Watch carefully as they can burn.

Serve with cheese, vegetables or fruit, hummus and olives.

I’m currently in a cracker coma.

42 Responses to “Everything Flatbread Crackers.”

Nicole @ Making Good Choices — November 6, 2010 @ 10:13 am

thank you for this. will be making asap to feed my 11 mile run hunger.

• Jessica — November 6th, 2010 @ 10:15 am

I hope you make them! My husband is still eating them right now and loving them. They were really, really good. Awesome run!

Courtney — November 6, 2010 @ 10:22 am

Wow, yum!! I love anything everything! These look like they’d be great with some good brie.

The Blue-Eyed Bakers — November 6, 2010 @ 10:41 am

Oooh cheese and crackers…nothing we like more for a snack…or for breakfast…or anytime really. These look delicious, crunchy and seedy…yum!

Trace — November 6, 2010 @ 11:08 am

Jessicaaa, I could SO do with some of that right now. Yummers! Nothing like mindlessly, compulsively eating crackers and cheese, hehe. I found this the other day and thought of you: http://notwithoutsalt.com/2009/07/06/bacon-caramels/

Katie — November 6, 2010 @ 11:58 am

Mmm, these remind me of bagel chips – which I can demolish when I’m in a salty mood.

Also, I have a loaf of your Chocolate Banana Gingerbread in the oven right now. It smells delicious, and I can’t wait for it!

• Jessica — November 6th, 2010 @ 12:22 pm

Sweet! Hope you like it. :)

Sana — November 6, 2010 @ 2:02 pm

I think I would LOVE this in bagel form!!

marla {family fresh cooking} — November 6, 2010 @ 2:16 pm

These flatbread crackers look great – I too would like those bubbles and rustic imperfections. Happy early b’day!!

Christina — November 6, 2010 @ 2:46 pm

I love crackers and cheese. These look great!

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) — November 6, 2010 @ 4:45 pm

cracker coma, LOL

and i am in, 1st try, 1st comment, all systems are green light over here!

the blissful baker — November 6, 2010 @ 6:25 pm

homemade crackers are the best! yours look fantastic!

Camille @ La Bella Vita — November 6, 2010 @ 7:28 pm

These look great, I can’t wait to try it out. My husband is also a picky eater, but I am sure that he will enjoy this!

Tracy — November 7, 2010 @ 2:13 pm

I love everything bagels so I know I would love these too! Yum!

Samantha — November 8, 2010 @ 12:45 am

Wow, those look great!!

-Samantha

Lindsay @ Pinch of Yum — November 8, 2010 @ 5:51 am

Yum… I love the idea with the cheese and tomato. Tasty!

Jennifer — November 8, 2010 @ 8:43 am

Love these. They sound perfect with cheese and tomato.

Becca — November 8, 2010 @ 2:38 pm

Oh my, these look incredible. I have never made homemade crackers before but I think these have convinced me to give them a try.

Question: the whole wheat pastry flour… do I get that in the regular baking isle? I don’t recall seeing that before!

• Jessica — November 8th, 2010 @ 2:43 pm

I find mine in the healthfood/organic section! I use Bob’s Red Mill brand.

• Becca — November 10th, 2010 @ 11:40 am

OK, thanks!

RunningOnCoffee — November 9, 2010 @ 9:29 pm

I saw this recipe over the weekend and want to make it badly!! I picked up the ingredients last night — and I found my whole wheat pastry flour in the “Nature’s Marketplace” section of wegmans — I also got Bob’s Red Mill brand- $3.49 for a 48 ounce bag.

Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction — November 11, 2010 @ 4:43 am

Oh, I love these! I was just at Sam’s Club yesterday, and they were serving samples of cheese and crackers. I was tempted to buy a box of the crackers, but then I thought “I should make some myself!” Now I have the perfect recipe to try… Thanks :)

teresa — November 13, 2010 @ 9:39 pm

I WILL be duplicating this FLAT~BREAD Joy!!!!!!!!!
    Love it with the cheese and tomatoes!
    And can you tell me…when you have a moment…
    what camera and what lens???
    Your pics are FABULOUS!
    I have got to get a new lens for my Cannon!
    xo

RunningOnCoffee — November 14, 2010 @ 11:53 pm

I think I figured out my fridge was too cold – got easier to roll the dough once it warmed up a bit. I need to work on my upper body strength so I can roll the dough a little thinner next time. Pleased with the results though, and will make it again!

chelon — November 15, 2010 @ 2:19 pm

i used cake flour instead of pastry flour, and they were more like thin flatbread than crackers. not crispy except at the edges. they were yummy, but i really wanted crackers! also, i don’t think i processed them enough. when the recipe says process until dough forms, should it be pulling away from the sides?

• Jessica — November 15th, 2010 @ 2:21 pm

You may need to roll it even thinner to make sure it is crispy, especially in the middle. And yes, I processed mine until a ball of dough formed.

Colby — November 16, 2010 @ 5:43 am

Those actually look like lavash crackers! Yum!!!

Casey — December 29, 2010 @ 3:07 pm

Hey Jessica! Do you think I could use just two cups of regular white flour for these, as opposed to the pastry flour? Would they still be as good?

Leanne Mc — March 21, 2012 @ 6:19 pm

Approximately how many minutes would you say you ended up baking yours for? :)

Alice Austin — January 10, 2013 @ 9:50 pm

I definitely want to make these, however, I don’t have a food processor. Can I use a blender instead. PLEASE respond as I can’t wait to try. The store ones are full of chemicals and the price is outrageous! Thank you so much!

• Jessica — January 11th, 2013 @ 10:31 am

truly a blender probably won’t get the type of dough you need, unless you have a vitamix… but I still can’t guarantee it. doughs really need to be made in the food processor, at least in my experience. you may have better luck going at it by hand!

1. Pingback: Tweets that mention Homemade Everything Flatbreads | How Sweet It Is -- Topsy.com

2. Pingback: 55 Recipes For New Year’s Eve. | How Sweet It Is