I’m in deep, deep lust.

With cookie dough that looks like this…

Hot Cocoa Cookies I howsweeteats.com

And tastes like this…

Hot Cocoa Cookies I howsweeteats.com

And even has a big swirl of this inside…

Hot Cocoa Cookies I howsweeteats.com

That would be marshmallow fluff. You must hop on this gravy train.

Hot Cocoa Cookies I howsweeteats.com

The mission was to make double fudge chocolate chip cookies that mimicked the taste of cozy, steaming, creamy hot cocoa. Mission accomplished.

Hot Cocoa Cookies I howsweeteats.com

Then I got a little frisky and dunked a cookie.

Hot Cocoa Cookies I howsweeteats.com

My eyes darted from side to side as I slurped some soggy marshmallows. I thought I was safe, but Mr. How Sweet caught me. Oh well, I’ve caught him doing much worse.

Hot Cocoa Cookies I howsweeteats.com

1 teaspoon baking soda

1/4 teaspoon salt

1/4 cup marshmallow fluff

1 cup chocolate chips

1 cup mini marshmallows

Preheat oven to 350.

Cream butter, sugar, eggs and vanilla until fluffy. Add flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt and mix until combined. Stir in marshmallow fluff.

Fold in chocolate chips and marshmallows. Cover dough with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes to 1 hour. Remove, and roll into 1 1/2-inch balls.

Bake at 350 for 10-12 minutes. Make sure cookies are fully cooked, because they will be very sticky from the marshmallows. Allow cookies to cool completely, even sticking them in the fridge for 15 minutes before removing from the baking sheet with a spatula. Be patient and gently remove cookies – let sit another 30 minutes.

Hot Cocoa Cookies I howsweeteats.com

You must make these cookies. Even if only to dunk them in cocoa. They will warm your soul.

194 Responses to “Hot Cocoa Cookies.”

Sophie — December 2, 2010 @ 4:59 am

I did a mexican hot chocolate sorta thing with a tsp of cinnamon, a pinch of cloves and a dash of chili powder. Highly recommend :)

Tara — December 2, 2010 @ 2:41 pm

I stumbled upon your blog at the end of the summer, and have been a religious reader ever since. Your writing is so honest and charismatic and your topics of choice are true to my heart (i.e. chocolate, butter, amazing grandmothers). I made these cookies last night and they were ridiculous….so chocolately and chewy and cozy. (can cookies be cozy?) Thank you for giving me something to look forward to reading in my busy days! You’re awesome!

• Jessica — December 2nd, 2010 @ 2:50 pm

Hi Tara! Thank you SO much for commenting and reading and your sweet words. It means so much to me that you are reading. And I’m thrilled you liked the cookies. Have a great day!

Heather — December 3, 2010 @ 2:45 am

These look absolutely divine…I think I may have just gained a couple of pounds just looking at the pics!

Hayli — December 3, 2010 @ 6:12 am

I just made these today, my family loves them!! Absolutely love your site!!

Alexa — December 3, 2010 @ 9:59 pm

Jessica! I can NOT get over how dreamy these look! I wonder how eggnog cookies would come out? Just a thought!

• Jessica — December 4th, 2010 @ 12:53 am

I’m sure delicious! Maybe will give it a shot!

Katherine — December 4, 2010 @ 6:26 pm

I heard cookies with marshmellows in them don’t keep well, you basically have to eat them asap. Is that true with these?

• Jessica — December 4th, 2010 @ 7:20 pm

I’ve never heard that, but I honestly can’t say because they have never lasted longer than 48 hours in my house. That being said, on the 48th hour, they were still delicious. :)

Gali — December 5, 2010 @ 7:39 am

Two of the best things in the world combined! Hot cocoa has been my drink of choice since we’ve hit the low temperatures… now to combine it with cookies!

Avanika (Yumsilicious Bakes) — December 5, 2010 @ 9:52 am

Oh wow!! This is possibly the best thing you’ve ever made!!!!

Lena — December 5, 2010 @ 11:09 am

I’ve just made the cookies and they are delicious :) Thanks for sharing all the great recipes!

• Jessica — December 5th, 2010 @ 5:55 pm

Glad you like them!

ashley nicole — December 5, 2010 @ 10:14 pm

Jessica,

your hot cocoa mug is precious! i love fun dishes…and i LOVE the “garnish” of marshmallows. keep these yummy recipes coming! Happy Sunday!

ashley

Erin — December 7, 2010 @ 2:46 am

I made these for my husband’s office. They are officially one of my all time favorite cookies. My husband’s office told me it was the best I’ve sent in yet. How can you go wrong with hot cocoa cookies?! I LOVE them! Thank you so much for the recipe.

Andrea — December 7, 2010 @ 1:30 pm

I might just have to buy the ingredients and make this for an upcoming Christmas party. They look like winners, indeed.

Kate — December 8, 2010 @ 5:50 am

these look so delicious i cant wait to try them !

Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction — December 9, 2010 @ 2:44 am

Dipping these in hot cocoa is just wrong… and so right! I’d like a few of these delivered with my milkshake, please. :)

Andrea — December 13, 2010 @ 8:59 pm

I made these! I didn’t try one because of my gluten/dairy/egg free diet, but they smelled AMAZING and people did say they tasted good!

I am jealous, though, of how yours look! The the marshmallows in my cookies melted and made holes in my cookies. I did follow the directions!

• Stephanie — June 22nd, 2012 @ 6:41 pm

the same thing happened to me! and i also followed the directions, i dont know what i must have done wrong!

lisa — December 15, 2010 @ 1:46 am

i just made these and they are delicious! i did have a bit of problem with some of them spreading too thin – seemed like they were the ones they may have had a bit more marshmallow in them. any suggestions?

ps: i’m going to be making the snickerdoodles and cake batter bark this weekend. so excited!

• Jessica — December 15th, 2010 @ 1:56 am

Did you refrigerate the dough? I refrigerate until the moment I bake them. However I’ve had a few batches get thin too! Still delicious though. :)

Monica — December 17, 2010 @ 5:46 am

I jumped on this gravy train and am loving it! PLEASE tell me I don’t ever have to get off!!!

Amanda — December 19, 2010 @ 9:12 pm

I’m in the middle of working on these. I’m having a problem with the marshmallows that are close to the edge of the cookie popping out and melting…then crystalizing around the edge of the cookie by the time it cools. Any suggestions? (yes, i refrigerated them for a full hour) :\

sanz — December 24, 2010 @ 9:29 pm

are u kidding me??
    is this for real!??
    damm
    and the cup is the prettiest!!!!!
    loving your blog and the food ofc :)

sanz — December 24, 2010 @ 9:30 pm

are u kidding me??
    is this for real!??
    damm
    and the cup is the prettiest!!!!!
    loving your blog and the food ofc

Kori — December 28, 2010 @ 2:12 am

Oh My Gosh. Those look AMAZING! I love anything with marshmallows, and those just look so gooey and delicious! Also…I love that mug (Anthro is my favorite store!) :0)

Charisse — December 28, 2010 @ 2:08 pm

Ok…I made these. As part of Cookiepalooza 2010. They were the hit of the cookie tins. I mean it. I had troubles in the beginning, but by the end I GOT it. :)

gramps — December 31, 2010 @ 12:59 am

Have you tried cooking them on parchment paper?

I have another batch ready to go in the oven. I’m afraid that they might spread too much

The first batch went in one day

• Jessica — December 31st, 2010 @ 1:04 am

I usually do use parchment paper! They come out great.

gramps — December 31, 2010 @ 1:40 am

Wow—quick reply. Yes—just took out a batch on parchment paper. GREAT

By the way, I love cooking, now that I have retired. I follow quite a few cooking blogs but I am probably using more of your recipes that anyone else. And I like your writing.
    Thanks

• Jessica — December 31st, 2010 @ 1:45 am

So glad they came out. And thank you so much! That really means a lot to me. Happy New Year! :)

Liv — January 18, 2011 @ 2:17 am

Just put them in the oven, I don’t know if I can contain myself for the next 9 long minutes while they finish baking!

P.S. I love your blog, I read it daily!

• Jessica — January 18th, 2011 @ 3:04 am

Enjoy!

Tarrah Dame — March 24, 2011 @ 6:06 pm

Hey there! Made these a few weeks back and they made me forget for a minute that I hate winter…finally got around to posting them and linked you here http://damegoodeats.blogspot.com/2011/03/hot-cocoa-cookies.html :)

chaney — May 16, 2011 @ 8:53 pm

First off, I’m super impressed with the photography of these cookies. Nice work!
    I decided to bake these this afternoon (with a six-year old who is always up for making something chocolate in the kitchen!). Unfortunately they all turned to gloop on the pan and ended up holding no cookie shape at all. they are still delicious, and whatever “cookie” parts I wasn’t able to save, I crumbled and put on ice cream. Great recipe, and I will have to try it again to see if I can do it correctly!

qualsoftfrol75 — June 1, 2011 @ 7:23 am

Beautiful insightful post. Never considered that it was that simple. Cheers to you! ov%C* where can i buy proactol in the uk @a4v:

tina — November 29, 2011 @ 5:11 am

Dear Jessica,
    this is the first time ever I comment on a blog post (pretty sure I´ve chosen a hell of a good post!). I live in a tiny country in the middle of Europe and you just can´t find marshmallow fluff here. Is it possible to substitute it for something? thanks.

I truly admire the work you have done so far and wish you all the best (so that we all can dig in this awesome sweetness till the end of time;) )!

Tina

Katie @ ohshineon.wordpress.com/ — December 1, 2011 @ 2:26 pm

dear lord i think i’m in love. i will be making these SO SOON! jessica, you keep rocking my world.

Karen T. — December 12, 2011 @ 6:53 pm

@Jessica – This recipe is the reason I started reading your blog and on Saturday I will be making these cookies for the very first time for my first ever holiday party that I’m hosting. Can’t wait to try them out and have my guests try them!!

Lea — December 19, 2011 @ 6:19 am

Hi there,

I just made a double recipe of these cookies today to give out to friends and family for the holidays. They are DELICIOUS, but I had a problem with the marshmallows “exploding”- basically they melt completely and then crystallize around the edges and it leaves big craters in the cookies. Any tips to prevent this from happening? I used Kraft Jet-Puffed mini marshmallows if that makes any difference.

Andilyn — December 19, 2011 @ 8:20 pm

My friend and I made these cookies exactly as directed, but they ran together when cooking and turned out all flat. Very sad-looking. They also don’t look as chocolaty as yours. What did we do wrong?? :(

Lizzy — December 20, 2011 @ 11:12 am

I love your blog and I read it all the time for cooking and baking ideas but this recipe was the first I made from here and I have to tell you they are like heaven exploding in my mouth everytime I take a bite out of them. I used mint chocolate chips instead of regurlar and that made them taste even more Christmas-y. Amazing cookies! I will be sharing this recipe with EVERYONE!

Lynn — December 21, 2011 @ 12:10 pm

I made these cookies yesterday and had mixed results. They are absolutely delicious, but mine were very, very thin. The first 2 sheets that came out of the oven were a mess, the cookies stuck to the cookie sheet. We decided to try parchment paper and it made a HUGE difference. They were still thin and the marshmallows didn’t hold their shape at all, they all melted. I think we’ll make them again though because even though they’re not the prettiest on my cokie tray, they’re definitely one of the yummiest! And when you’re eating them, who cares what they look like.

kysha — December 22, 2011 @ 10:47 pm

i made these before & my family loved them! my youngest daughter brought a note home from school the other day saying to bring 6 cookies in for her class for their xmas party…my daughter says, mom i want to make something no one else will, nothing boring..then asks if we can make the hot cocoa cookies. then adds -but we need 27 because i need enough for everyone to have one or alot of the kids will get jealous! lol my family and all of the 3rd graders send our thanks!!

Megan — December 23, 2011 @ 1:09 am

Just made these tonight and they turned out fantastic!!! The fridge did the trick when it came to the stickiness – I had no issues removing them, they all looked pretty and tasted great. Thanks for the awesome recipe!

Megan — December 26, 2011 @ 9:50 pm

I think I’ve put myself in a hot cocoa cookie coma. These are amazing and chewy and delish! However, mine turned out kind of flat and crater-like from where the marshmallows exploded. They came out better on a non air-bake cookie sheet. But still not the prettiest cookies. I also used a mixture of dark and regular cocoa powder.

donna — December 31, 2011 @ 4:23 pm

Just made these for New Year’s eve get together. WOW!! Delicious warm and gooey! I used parchment paper so zero stickage :-) Thanks for sharing your recipes!!

Olivia — January 24, 2012 @ 2:29 am

I just made these earlier, and I have got to say, I have a new favourite cookie =]

Stephanie — June 22, 2012 @ 6:21 pm

i made these today with my sister, and they are soo delicious, but instead we used hot chocolate packets instead of cocoa powder, so they would taste more like hot chocolate, and it was amazing!! i would def. do that!!!

Dorrie — December 16, 2012 @ 4:03 pm

Hi All, I have a question…… I am making these for a cookie swap on Thursday and have never made them before. I wanted to make them today (Sunday). Do you think they’d still be good if I popped them in the freezer (baked and cooled over night) until Thursday morning? I’ve done this with other cookies in the past, but wasn’t sure if the fluff and marshmallows would get funky. Thoughts?

Rebekah — February 21, 2013 @ 8:52 pm

I just made a batch of these cookies today. They are so good, but I had a problem with the marshmallows melting and then crystallizing around the edges, leaving big craters in the middle of the cookies. Any tips to prevent this from happening? I definitely want to give these cookies another try – they look delicious (and perfect) in the pictures! Thanks for any help!

1. Pingback: Tweets that mention Hot Cocoa Cookies | How Sweet It Is -- Topsy.com

2. Pingback: Melt-In-Your-Mouth Mint Chocolate Cake. | How Sweet It Is

3. Pingback: Friday Favorites – Christmas Cookie Guide (Episode 74) | my kitchen addiction

4. Pingback: Christmas Holiday Dessert & Sweet Treat Recipe Round Up on Food Blogs — Family Fresh Cooking

5. Pingback: Bite by Bite » Blog Archive » T’was the Day Before Christmas