Guess what? Up until last week, I had never made snickerdoodles. I was a snickerdoodle virgin.

Fat Fluffy Snickerdoodles I

And I know I said that I might be a little cookie-ed out, but I couldn’t let this one slip through the cracks. I had to share… for a few reasons.
First up, again – I had never made snickerdoodles. And they are one of Mr. How Sweet’s favorite cookies. I couldn’t disappoint the man. And second… just wait until you see how thick and fluffy these guys are. Unbelievable. It’s a cookie that melts in your mouth!

Fat Fluffy Snickerdoodles I

I’m pretty sure that these cookies have developed a complex since I keep calling them “fat.” But it’s not my fault, I swear.

I found this gem on an old newspaper clipping from 1965 in Mother Lovett’s stash. In fact, I nearly ripped in it two then spent over 45 minutes trying to tape it together because it was disintegrating in my hands.

Fat Fluffy Snickerdoodles I

See how thick and fluffy? Just like clouds. Vanilla cinnamon clouds.

Fat Fluffy Snickerdoodles I

Mother Lovett definitely made these one year, though I have no idea what year that was. It wasn’t a year that I was alive. But written on the newspaper clipping in faded pen were the words “made 20 fat cookies.”
So blame the cookies’ low self esteem on Mother Lovett. I’m sure she called them “plump” too – just like she called me when I was 13.

Fat Fluffy Snickerdoodles I

They definitely are the fattest snickerdoodles I’ve ever had. Although this was my first time baking snickerdoodles, it certainly was not my first time eating them. Most versions I’ve have in the last quarter of a century have been crisp, thin and delicious… but not fluffy.

Fat Fluffy Snickerdoodles I

But these? These are nearly an inch thick after they have been baked. They are super soft, like big, cinnamon cushions. And I must say that they are the best snickerdoodles I have ever tasted. Mr.How Sweet agreed. He didn’t say those exact words, but that’s just because he had a mouth full of snickerdoodles.
I can read his mind.

Fat Fluffy Snickerdoodles I

Thank you, newspaper from 1965.

Fat Fluffy Snickerdoodles I
Fat Fluffy Snickerdoodles

makes 16-20 cookies

1/2 cup butter, at room temperature

1 cup sugar

1 egg

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour

1/4 teaspoon salt

1/2 teaspoon baking powder

1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon

2 tablespoons milk

1/4 cup sugar + 1 tablespoon cinnamon for dipping

Preheat oven to 375.

Cream butter and sugar with an electric mixer until smooth. Add egg and vanilla, mixing well until combine, about 2 minutes. Stir in flour, baking powder, salt, and 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon. Mix until dough comes together. Add in milk. If dough is still crumbly, add milk 1 tablespoon at a time until it comes together. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.

In a bowl combine remaining sugar and cinnamon. Remove dough from fridge and roll into big 1 1/2 inch balls. Dip in cinnamon sugar mixture and place on baking sheet. Lightly press down on dough to flatten it. Bake at 375 for 10-12 minutes.

Fat Fluffy Snickerdoodles I

I bet these cookies are Santa’a favorite too.

364 Responses to “Fat Fluffy Snickerdoodles.”

Cara — March 28, 2012 @ 5:17 pm

I’ve been craving big, soft snickerdoodles and these hit the spot!

I made a double batch and have eaten the vast majority of them myself.

They are delicious but should come with a fat pants warning, LOL!

Julia — March 30, 2012 @ 12:48 am

I really like this recipe!! The amount of batter is perfect for cookies-for-one~! Not to mention the overall deliciousness of the end product…. :3

• The Kook @ The Kitchen Kook — January 29th, 2013 @ 6:53 pm

I agree! I always like to reduce my recipes by a half (or more!) because I like to keep a moderate, “healthy” amount of sweets around my family. But these don’t need much decreasing at all!

Felicia — April 23, 2012 @ 10:07 pm

Just baked a double batch with green sprinkles for a school bake sale tomorrow (: Snuck myself one and am happy to say it’a delicious!

Cat — April 25, 2012 @ 2:50 pm

I’m wondering what kind of all-purpose flour you used–was it bleached or unbleached? I REALLY want a fat fluffy snickerdoodle like these and different types/brands can really affect the texture. Thanks!

Kristy Swain — May 30, 2012 @ 2:37 pm

I tried these and substituted regular flour with brown rice flour for a gluten free variety. Turned out fine. I was wondering – is this the updated recipe? the link just takes me to a page talking about it and then links back here. ??

• Isla — December 16th, 2014 @ 5:38 pm

When baking gluten-free I have found it HIGHLY satisfactorily to “grind” the flour(s) in a food processor for 30 seconds. It makes it less grainy. I would also try a blend as opposed to a singular flour. Such as: white and brown rice flours with potato or tapioca starch/flour. I also add 1 tsp (per cup of flour in a recipe) of xantham gum to help make it “chewy”.

Asia — June 11, 2012 @ 12:04 am

i made these and i followed the recipe to a T and the dough was dry and crumbly and the baked cookie stayed the way i put them on the pan… they were hard and weird..but the taste was good

jayme lee — July 4, 2012 @ 11:59 am

This is the second time ive made these cookies – delish! I used unbleached all purpose flour and they were super fluffy!

• hellokitty — January 5th, 2014 @ 5:33 pm

tell *Cat* that

Sarah — August 7, 2012 @ 1:30 pm

I am making these tonight with my free time as it’s my easy day. I also need to find something to put my fluffy peanut butter and chocolate frosting on, i’ll keep surfing through your blog and find something. Everything I have seen is fabulous and now I have a list.

Nika — August 22, 2012 @ 7:11 am

Thanks a lot for the amazing recipe! I absolutely loved the cookies for they’re so irresistibly soft, and for sure I’ll be making them again and again.

Kendalyn — September 5, 2012 @ 8:52 pm

I will be making these with white while wheat flour.. Craving snickerdoodles do I hope they turn out!

Jeanette — September 10, 2012 @ 5:11 pm

Where’s the cream of tartar? Making these now. Hope they come out alright

HC — October 24, 2012 @ 10:37 pm

Made these using the original recipe and they turned out marvelous! I would give a tip to those that had crumbly/dry batter: 1) Don’t pack the flour into the measuring cup – just level it off & 2) it is VERY important to make sure you refrigerate the batter completely through – this creates a very fluffy center and makes it much easier to form the ball and roll in the cinnamon/sugar mix. I made ginormous cookies that were about 3″ across when baked and about 3/4″ high in the center by rolling balls about 1 1/2″ in diameter.

Good luck to all and I hope the tips help!

Becky — November 5, 2012 @ 12:27 pm

These rocked my world. Next time, I’m making a double batch. Thank you!

Erin — December 2, 2012 @ 8:26 pm

I am just wondering before I bake these are they truly soft after they cool and even after a couple days? Also do you know if they remain soft after freezing and thawing? Thanks :)

Chelsea — December 6, 2012 @ 11:55 am

Hi Jessica! Do you ever doubled any of your cookie recipes? This might sound silly, but sometimes when I double the recipe, the cookie doesn’t taste quite as good… Thoughts? Thanks!

Maggie — December 11, 2012 @ 3:06 pm

Contrary to everyone else, my dough came out sticky and wet like a normal cookie dough. Is it suppose to be the texture of a sugar cookie dough? They’re in the fridge right now so not sure how they’ll come out once they’re baked…

• Maggie — December 11th, 2012 @ 4:04 pm

They still turned out well! They were a little thicker so I’ll flatten them more next time.

• Rebecca — November 22nd, 2014 @ 8:36 pm

Mine did the same thing! I also used margarine. I hope they turn out OK.

Elisha — December 14, 2012 @ 1:39 am

I’m planning on baking these later so I’m wondering if i need to put parchment paper on the baking sheets?

Lauren — December 16, 2012 @ 7:57 pm

After one taste my husband declared these are his favorite cookies ever. The recipe was super easy to follow and I know they’ll be a big hit for Christmas. Thanks Jessica

Heather — December 18, 2012 @ 11:40 am

Delicious… I was reading through many many recipes and chose this one mostly because I, too dislike flat cookies and I do not like to use shortening. I did however add 1/2 teaspoon of cream of tartar. (a few other recipes had that ingredient in so I gave it a try) I really enjoyed them and rolled them in red/green sugar for my daughter’s Brownie Group cookie exchange. Thank you so much :)

Charlotte — January 6, 2013 @ 6:11 pm

Hi :) I used this recipe to make my sister snickerdoodles for her birthday and they were amazing!!! She said they made her day! Thank you so much! :D xx

• hellokitty — January 5th, 2014 @ 6:17 pm

Tell her HB, even tho I dont know her!!!

The Kook @ The Kitchen Kook — January 29, 2013 @ 6:56 pm

Mmm. In my eighteen years of life, I’ve actually never had snickerdoodles before! I finally just made some. And ohmigosh, I’ve been missing out on so much! They are perfect soft, chewy, yet slightly crispy on the edges. Mmm. I used a different recipe for mine – definitely all butter (no shortening here!) and I chilled the dough and I still got really soft, thick cookies. We don’t like sad, thin cookies :( Haha.

jenna — January 30, 2013 @ 6:00 pm

I only have baking soda and no baking powder….would it taste the same if i subsituted it?

• Cherie — July 17th, 2013 @ 5:45 pm

nope. They don’t make anything like the same flavor, sorry.

Megan — February 7, 2013 @ 9:44 am

I guess be sure to use real butter – maybe that should have been obvious, but as I didn’t have any I used some type of margarine instead. I assume that that was the problem as apart from that I followed the recipe exactly, and my dough turned out to be INCREDIBLY soft and sticky even after being refrigerated for 30 min. I added flour but it was still suuuuper sticky and soft. Rather than throw it away I baked it anyway, and the cookies grew to an enormous size and looked crazy and hilarious! Smelled delicious though, and I haven’t tasted them yet as they are still cooling. That was probably the most bizarre baking experience i’ve ever had! Considering it worked for everyone else though, I’m assuming it wasn’t the recipe’s fault and was instead my problem; probably the “butter” was to blame.

Karen — March 21, 2013 @ 8:34 pm

I made these chubby beauties today and they are spectacular! The only change I made was to use light brown sugar for half of the sugar quantity. This recipe makes the perfect, fluffy, flavorful snickerdoodle… my family and I thank you!

Ashley — May 3, 2013 @ 9:07 am

YUM! These were great!!! I doubled the recipe, so glad I did :)

Ashley — June 25, 2013 @ 8:42 pm

Ahhhh-mazing soft fluffy and tasty ! I made half a batch and left the dough in the fridge covered over night and it was still soft im def saving this recipe

Chey — July 24, 2013 @ 9:43 pm

I love snickerdoodles and i loveeee this recipie and i added a little bit of nutmeg and they are amazinggg thank youu!(:

Donna — August 12, 2013 @ 6:04 pm

Love your faithful followers comments…so helpful!…THIS is THE recipe I want to try to replicate an old snickerdoodle recipe long-lost. Burning QUESTION for all of you sweet people…How much Cream of Tartar should I add to this exquisite Jessica offering to give it that “tang” so many have referred to?! I have some I need to use up before the expiration date. I do not wish to try another recipe…for Jessica’s is the ONLY one I have found to really “play up” the incorporated cinnamon-in-the-dough as well as on the outside element!!!…Thanks in advance for any insight !

Renee — September 20, 2013 @ 9:54 am

Can this recipe be doubled without any trouble? I know some recipe’s can be doubled and some can’t…….These snickerdoodles look amazing but I need a big batch cause were having a church supper on Sunday………

Kim H — September 26, 2013 @ 8:09 am

I made these for my family last night and they were such a hit! This is my new go-to Snickerdoodle recipe. Thank you!!!!

Rebecca — October 3, 2013 @ 2:18 pm

This is my go-to snickerdoodle recipe — thanks for that! Have you ever tried it using pumpkin pie spice in place of the cinnamon?

Tara — October 3, 2013 @ 5:55 pm

These are fluffy and soft just like you said. Absolute new favorite Snickerdoodle recipe. I used my cinnamon mill and it brought out crazy good cinnamon flavoring. Would definitely recommend this recipe.
    One question though…my mom tasted them and said something’s missing and I knew what she was going to say…where is the cream of tartar? I thought it was a sin to make these without it!! lol
    Thanks. :)

• Linda — September 24th, 2014 @ 6:32 pm

Hope this helps: per info on another recipe: Cream of tartar is actually a byproduct of wine making (there’s our random fact of the day for you). More importantly, cream of tartar is often used to stabilize egg whites or cream while whipping them. (Here’s a helpful article from The Kitchen about cream of tartar).It is also often added to baked goods to help activate baking soda. In fact, cream of tartar mixed with baking soda is what makes baking powder.

This is from Joy Of to make the equivalent of 1 teaspoon of baking powder, combine a 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar with a 1/4 teaspoon of baking soda.

So why didn’t we just call for baking powder in the (other) recipe? In (that) recipe, it calsl for 1 teaspoon of baking soda and 2 teaspoons of cream of tartar. I suppose you could use baking powder in place of the baking soda and cream of tartar, but then it wouldn’t be a Snickerdoodle. The cream of tartar adds tanginess and chew to the cookies — transforming these from butter-sugar cookies to Snickerdoodles.

Skyler — October 18, 2013 @ 3:19 pm

OMGEE these snickerdoodles are delish! They really just make your day so much more better, my sister and I make about 50 of them to give out to neighbors and they LOVED it! Thank you so much!

Judy — December 2, 2013 @ 7:51 am

I have never heard of snickerdoodles. Definitely only an American word but I will try this.
    What’s with the cream of tartar? What does it do and taste like? Don’t even know if I can get it here.

Lindsay S — December 7, 2013 @ 9:59 pm

I was so glad to see you didn’t need cream of tartar. I usually get the itch to bake at strange hours and don’t want to have to run to the store. I ran out of milk early so I had to substitue half and half plus I have a steady supply of duck eggs so I used those instead of chicken. The cookies turned out great and reall rich. Thanks for sharing the recipe.

rmd — December 9, 2013 @ 2:53 pm

Did you use salted or unsalted butter in this recipe? Thanks!

Janelle — December 10, 2013 @ 8:42 pm

I make these cookies a bazillion times a year! They are so stinkin tasty! Thank you for sharing your kitchen adventures, your thoughts on random things, and your life with all of us. I’m so thankful you’re around this here blogosphere so often. I read and love every post! And I don’t even eat bacon if you can believe that! (I know you can’t… But still… Thank you for being awesome!)

Bridget salvia — December 24, 2013 @ 11:23 am

These cookies are the best! Making a last minute batch this a.m. as my fiancée got into the cupcakes last night…

Merry Xmas!

Valentina — December 25, 2013 @ 9:18 pm

AMAZING COOKIES, sooo wonderfully fluffy!
    Thank you so much for this recipe, it was the perfect christmas gift for my family :)

Delnora — January 4, 2014 @ 8:56 pm

I made these 3 times over this past holiday season. They are so easy and so yummy. Fluffy and chewy. Definitely the best snickerdoodles I’ve ever had. I always double the batch and use my kitchen aid mixer. Thank you!!

Stephanie — January 13, 2014 @ 4:04 pm

Oh my God. I made a triple batch of these as one of my cookies for Christmas (I make over 300 cookies every year!) These were a HUGE hit. I absolutely loved them, and so did everyone else. Snickerdoodles are one of the most common cookie recipes I make, and these were the best I’ve ever made. They are SUPER fat and moist and delicious. I’m a nutmeg addict, especially at Christmas time, so I added a little bit of nutmeg to the dough and to the mixture you roll the dough balls in and it was really delicious. A MILLION STARS!

Sherri Hall — February 13, 2014 @ 3:07 pm

I just stumbled upon your website today and I think the stories you are telling through your baking experience with your grandmother’s recipes is so beautiful! Love it!

Rebecca — April 6, 2014 @ 4:11 am

Followed the recipe exactly and they were delicious. I got 12 big cookies out of rolling 1 1/2 inch balls. Next time I think I will roll them smaller to make more cookies.

Kateřina — July 13, 2014 @ 5:25 pm

This is a wonderful recipe. I’m from the Czech Republic and I’d never heard of “snickerdoodle” before, but our American friend suggested we made for our sleepover and everybody was completely taken away by them. They are so soft and tasty that we nicknamed them “unicorn poops”. The only thing we did differently was we used less sugar (about half a cup) but I do that quite often as most sweet recipes tend to contain an excessive amount of sugar.

Zaida — August 15, 2014 @ 1:45 pm

Love this recipe! Found this recipe when I was craving cookies but only had one egg. I’ve made it three times since, the 4th time baking now! The last time I made these, I also made a “sugar cookie” batch by omitting the cinnamon completely. Everyone has loved eating these cookies, both versions. Two thumbs up for this super easy, super tasty recipe. Thanks for sharing!!!

darling doll — August 30, 2014 @ 4:46 pm

I don’t have vanilla will they still come out good

Crystal — November 26, 2014 @ 8:07 pm

I just made these for Thanksgiving, and they’re delicious! A wonderful shortbread consistency with all of the yummy snickerdoodle taste. I paired it with an icing recipe ( ), and added 1 1/2 tsp cinnamon to the icing mix, then dipped the top of the cookies in the icing, and I have to say they’re just great.

cheri — January 10, 2015 @ 4:52 pm

I’m in love with these cookies! I’ll probably never make them again, because I’ll eat them all tho!! Rofl. I’m a HUGE chocoholic, and if there’s no chocolate, it’s usually not worth the calories, but these are SO amazing. In the words of my toddler “they perfect”. I’ll definitely make them again :'( and go buy bigger pants… I baked them for about 12 minutes so they were still soft and doughy when I took them out, but they hardened a bit. SO GOOD!!

Kori — February 10, 2015 @ 4:44 am

I had a craving for something sweet yesterday but didn’t want to go out and buy cake or cookies and didn’t want to try my usual butter-sugar cookies (which are usually okay but not great). Believe it or not, I’ve only had a snickerdoodle cookie once, from a mall bakery. But I wondered how simple a snickerdoodle recipe could be.

I didn’t have cream of tartar so looked for recipes that omitted it and came across this recipe and a couple of others that looked interesting. I went with this one because I was baking them only for myself (or so I thought) and didn’t want or need a big batch. But I’m probably going to have to double the recipe next time (and there will be a next time, probably very soon, because my mother came into the kitchen while I was putting these on the baking sheet and said she wanted to try one.

One turned into two, which turned into me leaving these on the kitchen counter for both of us to enjoy instead of me just taking them all back to my room like I usually do because these were delicious! On the first bite my mother said, “Ooh, these are GOOD, Koko! You have to make another batch. Give me another one!”

I only had salted butter on hand even though other recipes call for unsalted, so I went with what I had and omitted the standalone salt. And I didn’t use the milk in the end because my dough was still a bit sticky after everything was combined (leaving the dough in the fridge for half an hour made it easy to roll in the cinnamon-sugar mixture without getting dough all over my hands). Otherwise, everything else was the same, and I came out with 16 soft on the inside/crispy on the edge cookies!

So excited to be this successful on my first try with a recipe. It’s a keeper and the only one I’ll be using for snickerdoodles!

1. Pingback: All Things Christmas | Laughter, Strength, and Food

2. Pingback: Christmas Cookie Recipes For Special Diets, And In Case Santa Has A Nut Allergy | Gymrat Fitness

3. Pingback: How can I make these cookies less sweet without ruining the texture? | Question and Answer

4. Pingback: Snickerdoodle Cookies | Versatile-Vegan