Guess what? Up until last week, I had never made snickerdoodles. I was a snickerdoodle virgin.

Fat Fluffy Snickerdoodles I howsweeteats.com

And I know I said that I might be a little cookie-ed out, but I couldn’t let this one slip through the cracks. I had to share… for a few reasons.
First up, again – I had never made snickerdoodles. And they are one of Mr. How Sweet’s favorite cookies. I couldn’t disappoint the man. And second… just wait until you see how thick and fluffy these guys are. Unbelievable. It’s a cookie that melts in your mouth!

Fat Fluffy Snickerdoodles I howsweeteats.com

I’m pretty sure that these cookies have developed a complex since I keep calling them “fat.” But it’s not my fault, I swear.

I found this gem on an old newspaper clipping from 1965 in Mother Lovett’s stash. In fact, I nearly ripped in it two then spent over 45 minutes trying to tape it together because it was disintegrating in my hands.

Fat Fluffy Snickerdoodles I howsweeteats.com

See how thick and fluffy? Just like clouds. Vanilla cinnamon clouds.

Fat Fluffy Snickerdoodles I howsweeteats.com

Mother Lovett definitely made these one year, though I have no idea what year that was. It wasn’t a year that I was alive. But written on the newspaper clipping in faded pen were the words “made 20 fat cookies.”
So blame the cookies’ low self esteem on Mother Lovett. I’m sure she called them “plump” too – just like she called me when I was 13.

Fat Fluffy Snickerdoodles I howsweeteats.com

They definitely are the fattest snickerdoodles I’ve ever had. Although this was my first time baking snickerdoodles, it certainly was not my first time eating them. Most versions I’ve have in the last quarter of a century have been crisp, thin and delicious… but not fluffy.

Fat Fluffy Snickerdoodles I howsweeteats.com

But these? These are nearly an inch thick after they have been baked. They are super soft, like big, cinnamon cushions. And I must say that they are the best snickerdoodles I have ever tasted. Mr.How Sweet agreed. He didn’t say those exact words, but that’s just because he had a mouth full of snickerdoodles.
I can read his mind.

Fat Fluffy Snickerdoodles I howsweeteats.com

Thank you, newspaper from 1965.

Fat Fluffy Snickerdoodles I howsweeteats.com
Fat Fluffy Snickerdoodles

makes 16-20 cookies

1/2 cup butter, at room temperature

1 cup sugar

1 egg

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour

1/4 teaspoon salt

1/2 teaspoon baking powder

1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon

2 tablespoons milk

1/4 cup sugar + 1 tablespoon cinnamon for dipping

Preheat oven to 375.

Cream butter and sugar with an electric mixer until smooth. Add egg and vanilla, mixing well until combine, about 2 minutes. Stir in flour, baking powder, salt, and 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon. Mix until dough comes together. Add in milk. If dough is still crumbly, add milk 1 tablespoon at a time until it comes together. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.

In a bowl combine remaining sugar and cinnamon. Remove dough from fridge and roll into big 1 1/2 inch balls. Dip in cinnamon sugar mixture and place on baking sheet. Lightly press down on dough to flatten it. Bake at 375 for 10-12 minutes.

Fat Fluffy Snickerdoodles I howsweeteats.com

I bet these cookies are Santa’a favorite too.

348 Responses to “Fat Fluffy Snickerdoodles.”

Cara — March 28, 2012 @ 5:17 pm

I’ve been craving big, soft snickerdoodles and these hit the spot!

I made a double batch and have eaten the vast majority of them myself.

They are delicious but should come with a fat pants warning, LOL!

Julia — March 30, 2012 @ 12:48 am

I really like this recipe!! The amount of batter is perfect for cookies-for-one~! Not to mention the overall deliciousness of the end product…. :3

• The Kook @ The Kitchen Kook — January 29th, 2013 @ 6:53 pm

I agree! I always like to reduce my recipes by a half (or more!) because I like to keep a moderate, “healthy” amount of sweets around my family. But these don’t need much decreasing at all!

Felicia — April 23, 2012 @ 10:07 pm

Just baked a double batch with green sprinkles for a school bake sale tomorrow (: Snuck myself one and am happy to say it’a delicious!

Cat — April 25, 2012 @ 2:50 pm

I’m wondering what kind of all-purpose flour you used–was it bleached or unbleached? I REALLY want a fat fluffy snickerdoodle like these and different types/brands can really affect the texture. Thanks!

Kristy Swain — May 30, 2012 @ 2:37 pm

I tried these and substituted regular flour with brown rice flour for a gluten free variety. Turned out fine. I was wondering – is this the updated recipe? the link just takes me to a page talking about it and then links back here. ??

Asia — June 11, 2012 @ 12:04 am

i made these and i followed the recipe to a T and the dough was dry and crumbly and the baked cookie stayed the way i put them on the pan… they were hard and weird..but the taste was good

jayme lee — July 4, 2012 @ 11:59 am

This is the second time ive made these cookies – delish! I used unbleached all purpose flour and they were super fluffy!

• hellokitty — January 5th, 2014 @ 5:33 pm

tell *Cat* that

Sarah — August 7, 2012 @ 1:30 pm

I am making these tonight with my free time as it’s my easy day. I also need to find something to put my fluffy peanut butter and chocolate frosting on, i’ll keep surfing through your blog and find something. Everything I have seen is fabulous and now I have a list.

Nika — August 22, 2012 @ 7:11 am

Thanks a lot for the amazing recipe! I absolutely loved the cookies for they’re so irresistibly soft, and for sure I’ll be making them again and again.

Kendalyn — September 5, 2012 @ 8:52 pm

I will be making these with white while wheat flour.. Craving snickerdoodles do I hope they turn out!

Jeanette — September 10, 2012 @ 5:11 pm

Where’s the cream of tartar? Making these now. Hope they come out alright

HC — October 24, 2012 @ 10:37 pm

Made these using the original recipe and they turned out marvelous! I would give a tip to those that had crumbly/dry batter: 1) Don’t pack the flour into the measuring cup – just level it off & 2) it is VERY important to make sure you refrigerate the batter completely through – this creates a very fluffy center and makes it much easier to form the ball and roll in the cinnamon/sugar mix. I made ginormous cookies that were about 3″ across when baked and about 3/4″ high in the center by rolling balls about 1 1/2″ in diameter.

Good luck to all and I hope the tips help!

Becky — November 5, 2012 @ 12:27 pm

These rocked my world. Next time, I’m making a double batch. Thank you!

Erin — December 2, 2012 @ 8:26 pm

I am just wondering before I bake these are they truly soft after they cool and even after a couple days? Also do you know if they remain soft after freezing and thawing? Thanks :)

Chelsea — December 6, 2012 @ 11:55 am

Hi Jessica! Do you ever doubled any of your cookie recipes? This might sound silly, but sometimes when I double the recipe, the cookie doesn’t taste quite as good… Thoughts? Thanks!

Maggie — December 11, 2012 @ 3:06 pm

Contrary to everyone else, my dough came out sticky and wet like a normal cookie dough. Is it suppose to be the texture of a sugar cookie dough? They’re in the fridge right now so not sure how they’ll come out once they’re baked…

• Maggie — December 11th, 2012 @ 4:04 pm

They still turned out well! They were a little thicker so I’ll flatten them more next time.

Elisha — December 14, 2012 @ 1:39 am

I’m planning on baking these later so I’m wondering if i need to put parchment paper on the baking sheets?

Lauren — December 16, 2012 @ 7:57 pm

After one taste my husband declared these are his favorite cookies ever. The recipe was super easy to follow and I know they’ll be a big hit for Christmas. Thanks Jessica

Heather — December 18, 2012 @ 11:40 am

Delicious… I was reading through many many recipes and chose this one mostly because I, too dislike flat cookies and I do not like to use shortening. I did however add 1/2 teaspoon of cream of tartar. (a few other recipes had that ingredient in so I gave it a try) I really enjoyed them and rolled them in red/green sugar for my daughter’s Brownie Group cookie exchange. Thank you so much :)

Charlotte — January 6, 2013 @ 6:11 pm

Hi :) I used this recipe to make my sister snickerdoodles for her birthday and they were amazing!!! She said they made her day! Thank you so much! :D xx

• hellokitty — January 5th, 2014 @ 6:17 pm

Tell her HB, even tho I dont know her!!!

The Kook @ The Kitchen Kook — January 29, 2013 @ 6:56 pm

Mmm. In my eighteen years of life, I’ve actually never had snickerdoodles before! I finally just made some. And ohmigosh, I’ve been missing out on so much! They are perfect soft, chewy, yet slightly crispy on the edges. Mmm. I used a different recipe for mine – definitely all butter (no shortening here!) and I chilled the dough and I still got really soft, thick cookies. We don’t like sad, thin cookies :( Haha.

jenna — January 30, 2013 @ 6:00 pm

I only have baking soda and no baking powder….would it taste the same if i subsituted it?

• Cherie — July 17th, 2013 @ 5:45 pm

nope. They don’t make anything like the same flavor, sorry.

Megan — February 7, 2013 @ 9:44 am

I guess be sure to use real butter – maybe that should have been obvious, but as I didn’t have any I used some type of margarine instead. I assume that that was the problem as apart from that I followed the recipe exactly, and my dough turned out to be INCREDIBLY soft and sticky even after being refrigerated for 30 min. I added flour but it was still suuuuper sticky and soft. Rather than throw it away I baked it anyway, and the cookies grew to an enormous size and looked crazy and hilarious! Smelled delicious though, and I haven’t tasted them yet as they are still cooling. That was probably the most bizarre baking experience i’ve ever had! Considering it worked for everyone else though, I’m assuming it wasn’t the recipe’s fault and was instead my problem; probably the “butter” was to blame.

Karen — March 21, 2013 @ 8:34 pm

I made these chubby beauties today and they are spectacular! The only change I made was to use light brown sugar for half of the sugar quantity. This recipe makes the perfect, fluffy, flavorful snickerdoodle… my family and I thank you!

Ashley — May 3, 2013 @ 9:07 am

YUM! These were great!!! I doubled the recipe, so glad I did :)

Ashley — June 25, 2013 @ 8:42 pm

Ahhhh-mazing soft fluffy and tasty ! I made half a batch and left the dough in the fridge covered over night and it was still soft im def saving this recipe

Chey — July 24, 2013 @ 9:43 pm

I love snickerdoodles and i loveeee this recipie and i added a little bit of nutmeg and they are amazinggg thank youu!(:

Donna — August 12, 2013 @ 6:04 pm

Love your faithful followers comments…so helpful!…THIS is THE recipe I want to try to replicate an old snickerdoodle recipe long-lost. Burning QUESTION for all of you sweet people…How much Cream of Tartar should I add to this exquisite Jessica offering to give it that “tang” so many have referred to?! I have some I need to use up before the expiration date. I do not wish to try another recipe…for Jessica’s is the ONLY one I have found to really “play up” the incorporated cinnamon-in-the-dough as well as on the outside element!!!…Thanks in advance for any insight !

Renee — September 20, 2013 @ 9:54 am

Can this recipe be doubled without any trouble? I know some recipe’s can be doubled and some can’t…….These snickerdoodles look amazing but I need a big batch cause were having a church supper on Sunday………

Kim H — September 26, 2013 @ 8:09 am

I made these for my family last night and they were such a hit! This is my new go-to Snickerdoodle recipe. Thank you!!!!

Rebecca — October 3, 2013 @ 2:18 pm

This is my go-to snickerdoodle recipe — thanks for that! Have you ever tried it using pumpkin pie spice in place of the cinnamon?

Tara — October 3, 2013 @ 5:55 pm

These are fluffy and soft just like you said. Absolute new favorite Snickerdoodle recipe. I used my cinnamon mill and it brought out crazy good cinnamon flavoring. Would definitely recommend this recipe.
    One question though…my mom tasted them and said something’s missing and I knew what she was going to say…where is the cream of tartar? I thought it was a sin to make these without it!! lol
    Thanks. :)

Skyler — October 18, 2013 @ 3:19 pm

OMGEE these snickerdoodles are delish! They really just make your day so much more better, my sister and I make about 50 of them to give out to neighbors and they LOVED it! Thank you so much!
    -Skyler_Kaii

Judy — December 2, 2013 @ 7:51 am

I have never heard of snickerdoodles. Definitely only an American word but I will try this.
    What’s with the cream of tartar? What does it do and taste like? Don’t even know if I can get it here.

Lindsay S — December 7, 2013 @ 9:59 pm

I was so glad to see you didn’t need cream of tartar. I usually get the itch to bake at strange hours and don’t want to have to run to the store. I ran out of milk early so I had to substitue half and half plus I have a steady supply of duck eggs so I used those instead of chicken. The cookies turned out great and reall rich. Thanks for sharing the recipe.

rmd — December 9, 2013 @ 2:53 pm

Jessica,

Did you use salted or unsalted butter in this recipe? Thanks!

Janelle — December 10, 2013 @ 8:42 pm

I make these cookies a bazillion times a year! They are so stinkin tasty! Thank you for sharing your kitchen adventures, your thoughts on random things, and your life with all of us. I’m so thankful you’re around this here blogosphere so often. I read and love every post! And I don’t even eat bacon if you can believe that! (I know you can’t… But still… Thank you for being awesome!)

Bridget salvia — December 24, 2013 @ 11:23 am

These cookies are the best! Making a last minute batch this a.m. as my fiancée got into the cupcakes last night…

Merry Xmas!

Valentina — December 25, 2013 @ 9:18 pm

AMAZING COOKIES, sooo wonderfully fluffy!
    Thank you so much for this recipe, it was the perfect christmas gift for my family :)

Delnora — January 4, 2014 @ 8:56 pm

I made these 3 times over this past holiday season. They are so easy and so yummy. Fluffy and chewy. Definitely the best snickerdoodles I’ve ever had. I always double the batch and use my kitchen aid mixer. Thank you!!

Stephanie — January 13, 2014 @ 4:04 pm

Oh my God. I made a triple batch of these as one of my cookies for Christmas (I make over 300 cookies every year!) These were a HUGE hit. I absolutely loved them, and so did everyone else. Snickerdoodles are one of the most common cookie recipes I make, and these were the best I’ve ever made. They are SUPER fat and moist and delicious. I’m a nutmeg addict, especially at Christmas time, so I added a little bit of nutmeg to the dough and to the mixture you roll the dough balls in and it was really delicious. A MILLION STARS!

Sherri Hall — February 13, 2014 @ 3:07 pm

I just stumbled upon your website today and I think the stories you are telling through your baking experience with your grandmother’s recipes is so beautiful! Love it!

Rebecca — April 6, 2014 @ 4:11 am

Followed the recipe exactly and they were delicious. I got 12 big cookies out of rolling 1 1/2 inch balls. Next time I think I will roll them smaller to make more cookies.

Kateřina — July 13, 2014 @ 5:25 pm

This is a wonderful recipe. I’m from the Czech Republic and I’d never heard of “snickerdoodle” before, but our American friend suggested we made for our sleepover and everybody was completely taken away by them. They are so soft and tasty that we nicknamed them “unicorn poops”. The only thing we did differently was we used less sugar (about half a cup) but I do that quite often as most sweet recipes tend to contain an excessive amount of sugar.

Zaida — August 15, 2014 @ 1:45 pm

Love this recipe! Found this recipe when I was craving cookies but only had one egg. I’ve made it three times since, the 4th time baking now! The last time I made these, I also made a “sugar cookie” batch by omitting the cinnamon completely. Everyone has loved eating these cookies, both versions. Two thumbs up for this super easy, super tasty recipe. Thanks for sharing!!!

1. Pingback: Chubby Snickerdoodle Cookies « Le Food Snob

2. Pingback: Snickerdoodle Green Smoothie | The Pursuit of Hippieness

3. Pingback: Snickerdoodle Chip Cookies | Happy When Not Hungry

4. Pingback: my favorite things: bakeware. « the credibility gap.

5. Pingback: What I’m Loving Now | Thoughts from In Between

6. Pingback: Falling Behind « The Years of My Pilgrimage

7. Pingback: Snickerdoodles | Simply obsessed with food.

8. Pingback: Fluffy Snickerdoodles « DB and Jelly

9. Pingback: Food Food Food « pollyheath

10. Pingback: Snickerdoodle Pumpkin Kiss Cookies | Dinners, Dishes, and Desserts

11. Pingback: Snickerdoodle Pumpkin Kiss Cookies #Recipe

12. Pingback: week 31: stephanie’s pick – Snickerdoodles | 52weekbakingproject

13. Pingback: Fluffy Snickerdoodles - Half Baked Harvest

14. Pingback: (a belated) taste of tuesday (snickerdoodles & reindeer cookies) | simply complicated.

15. Pingback: Fluffy Snickerdoodles « The Fruitful Wife

16. Pingback: big, fat, cinnamon-y snickerdoodles

17. Pingback: Snickerdoodles: Day 2 of 12 Days of Christmas Cookies « oh so decadent

18. Pingback: Snickerdoodles and Face Masks | Hummusapien

19. Pingback: Katamari Dama-cookies: Snickerdoodles! « 50 First Cakes

20. Pingback: The Best Snickerdoodles - Blog is the New Black

21. Pingback: Dark Chocolate Chunk Skillet Cookie | StarLoz™

22. Pingback: . 25 days of christmas, 19 through 24 .

23. Pingback: . thinking out loud #12 .

24. Pingback: Holiday Cookies | Green Dog Wine

25. Pingback: This Has Pin-tential: Fat Fluffy Snickerdoodles « Boomtown Sisters

26. Pingback: Snickerdoodles (Version 2) | Butter Baking

27. Pingback: Pipe Dream #187: To Face Off – Butterus Rex v. Fatimus Snickerdoodles | piping dreams

28. Pingback: Fluffy Snickerdoodles | kellybaked

29. Pingback: White Chocolate Snickerdoodles (#26) | Baking Through the Year

30. Pingback: Fat, Fluffy, Lemon Raspberry Cookies | Kitchen Cures

31. Pingback: mini snickerdoodle peach sorbet sandwiches -

32. Pingback: The Fluffiest Snickerdoodles | just one more

33. Pingback: Snickerdoodle Cookie Cupcakes | How Sweet It Is

34. Pingback: The Best Chewy Snickerdoodles Ever| LunaCafe

35. Pingback: Snickerdoodles | themelesslife

36. Pingback: Gifts for everybody on your list | Two Chic

37. Pingback: Bracing the Self |

38. Pingback: Little Things | Rae of Sunshine

39. Pingback: Brian’s Favorite Snickerdoodles | Dinner for Brian

40. Pingback: Paleo and Vegan Snickerdoodles | Eating For Balance

41. Pingback: あなたは、どんなクッキーですか? | ダイエットはこのメニューで決まり! 最新流行ダイエットフード

42. Pingback: あなたは、どんなクッキーですか? | モテメニュー特集!しかも早くて安くてうますぎ! 参考にして下さい!

43. Pingback: The Passionate Wife - Page 151