There is one fabulous thing about this cake that makes it better than every other cake: simplicity.

All you have to do is throw every ingredient into your food processor and whirl away. Dump it in the pan, set it in the oven, and go do your thing for an hour.

My thing includes not cleaning up the mess I’ve made in the kitchen, then later wondering why the kitchen is such a disgrace.

And tasting recipe ingredients for quality control purposes.

In case you’re wondering, yes, Mr. How Sweet is still living here even though this is the second chocolate + mint combo I have made in a week. But that’s only because I balance it out with chicken, steak, chicken fingers, eggs, and steak.  Otherwise, he’d be out.

Back away from the batter. Slowly.

Some batters and dough make my head spin.

This is one of them. I think it is a combination of the silky deliciousness and ease of recipe.

It comes out tasting like a rich, warm, dense peppermint pattie.

I love that this “cake” is technically a quick bread, because then I can compare it to banana bread and eat it for breakfast. Or for a “healthy” snack.

At least, I could do that until I decided to drip pure, melted dark chocolate on top. This was the best idea I’ve had since the cake batter bark. The chocolate slides down into the cracks and crevices of the loaf which leaves bits of chocolate inside the cake.

And it’s fabulous both warm and cold – just store it in the fridge and the chocolate hardens like fudge on top. You can gift this cake too – buy a few small/medium ceramic loaf pans, bake the cake, tie it up in a bow and give it as a hostess gift. You can never go wrong with chocolate.

I like to fatten people up.

Melt-In-Your-Mouth Mint Chocolate Cake

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

1/4 teaspoon peppermint extract

1/2 cup boiling water

1/2 cup chocolate chips, tossed with flour

3/4 cups mint chips, tossed with flour

Preheat oven to 325.

In a food processor, add all ingredients except for boiling water, chocolate and mint chips, and blend. Once combined, stream in boiling water and blend until chocolate batter is smooth. Remove lid and blade, scraping off any excess batter. Toss chocolate and mint chips with flour (this prevents them from falling to the bottom), and fold into batter.

Spray loaf pan with cooking spray and pour in batter. Set loaf pan on a baking sheet and put in oven. Bake for 50-60 minutes, or until cake is no longer jiggly. I baked mine for 60 minutes exactly. Let cake cool completely before removing it from pan.

Note: I used a 10 x 6 1/2 x 3 loaf pan.

Dark Chocolate Glaze

8 ounces dark chocolate (I used Lindt)

Melt chocolate in either the microwave or a double boiled and drizzle over cake.

I’m off to the dentist. I have no idea why I’d have to get a cavity filled. As soon as I come home, I’m sinking my teeth into this. It will feel so dirty.

110 Responses to “Melt-In-Your-Mouth Mint Chocolate Cake.”

Naomi(onefitfoodie) — December 6, 2010 @ 10:00 pm

i ADORE chocolate and mint together! I have been looking for a chocolate mint protein powder. Who am I kidding, I want the cake!

• Jessica — December 6th, 2010 @ 10:03 pm

I used to LOVE BSN Syntha 6 Chocolate Mint. It was freaking amazing. I’m assuming they still make it? I really loved all Syntha 6 flavors, though the carb content was a little high for competition prep. You could probably use it once a day!

Camille — December 6, 2010 @ 10:52 pm

Heaven…pure heaven! Making this stat!

Annie@stronghealthyfit — December 6, 2010 @ 10:55 pm

I haven’t been able to get chocolate + mint out of my head- I want to try making biscotti with those flavors! Your cake looks amazing.

Mackenzie@The Caramel Cookie — December 6, 2010 @ 11:46 pm

This looks wonderful! Too bad mint chips are a little hard to find in my town……I should move.

Low — December 7, 2010 @ 12:34 am

Looks so yummy and I love the color of those mint chips.

I don’t like oreos or peppermint, but the bf brought over some peppermint oreos last week and I ate half the package. Go figure..

Lee @ College Foodie Finds — December 7, 2010 @ 1:45 am

That reminds me of Thin Mint Cookies…but better :)

Lisa @ Dishes of Mrs. Fish — December 7, 2010 @ 2:15 am

This popped up in my google reader during my planning period today. I totally cracked up about your dentist comments, and my co teacher now is greatly concerned about my general well being… :)

P.S. At Panera today, I saw a HUGE mint chocolate cookie, and it reminded me of how I needed to rush home and make this cake, but then I didn’t have any peppermint. Sad day.

kate — December 7, 2010 @ 2:20 am

Ive never seen green mint chips but they are really cute!

Amy @ Serve At Once — December 7, 2010 @ 3:43 am

Mr. HowSweet is one lucky man! That last picture is a money shot–it officially has me salivating. Sinfully delicious!

Lynne — December 7, 2010 @ 4:26 am

I’ve never seen mint chocolate chips, but I’m now going to go look for them! This cake looks amazing!

Lindsay @ Pinch of Yum — December 7, 2010 @ 4:41 am

Please stop posting these amazing recipes. No, wait, please continue… And then send me a link to the best workout sites so I don’t feel so guilty. :) This looks beautiful! Love you blog.

Lindsay @ Pinch of Yum — December 7, 2010 @ 4:41 am

HA! Love *your* blog.

Red Deception — December 7, 2010 @ 6:20 am

You’ve won me over with this recipe. I love LOVE mint!

Red Deception — December 7, 2010 @ 6:22 am

You’ve won me over with this recipe. I love LOVE mint!!!

Blond Duck — December 7, 2010 @ 11:02 am

I love the green chips in that photo. It’s so festive!

MizFit — December 7, 2010 @ 11:24 am

525a here and this plus COFFEE looks HEAVENLY.

Yum Yucky — December 7, 2010 @ 2:26 pm

I want to adopt you. And then force you into Child Labor Cooking. sorry, that’s just how I feel about it. oh, and a xoxo to you.

• Jessica — December 7th, 2010 @ 3:20 pm

I’m in.

Moni'sMeals — December 7, 2010 @ 4:25 pm

Good Lord! What a tease, it looks truly amazing!

Salah@myhealthiestlife — December 7, 2010 @ 8:19 pm

omg this looks amazing!!!! I love cake :-)

Kathleen — December 13, 2010 @ 3:01 am

My Goodness you have stuck gold!! What a fabulous recipe! Just fabulous! Thanks for sharing.

Cat @ YoungHungryFoolish — December 16, 2010 @ 9:05 pm

I’m making for my boyfriend’s parents and the parents of some good friends! Thanks for posting such an easy, budget-friendly recipes (especially for us gals who love to cook for people but have tiny kitchens and tiny bank accounts).

• Jessica — December 17th, 2010 @ 4:46 am

Let me know how it turns out!

• Cat @ YoungHungryFoolish — December 19th, 2010 @ 4:37 pm

Turned out fabulously! I couldn’t find mint chips here, so I swapped them with peanut butter and left out the peppermint extract. So good! I made myself one too :) Thanks again for the great idea. I definitely have to find mint chips at some point though…

Leslie — December 17, 2010 @ 7:19 pm

I made this cake last night. It is sitting in my refrigerator right now waiting to be eaten at our get together tonight. I crushed up some candy canes and sprinkled those on top too. When I was in the middle of making this I noticed the recipe calls for 1 Tablespoon vanilla extract and then later calls for 1 teaspoon vanilla extract. Is this a mistake? I only used 1 Tablespoon just in case.

maria — March 29, 2011 @ 5:54 am

looks amazing! question. do you think one could split it into 8 inch pans and make a “formal” cake with mint frosting in between and ganache on top

• Jessica — March 29th, 2011 @ 6:42 am

Hmmm I really am not sure, I don’t know if there would be enough cake? It’s more of a dense cake since it is a loaf cake… you can try but I really don’t know – sorry!

Nicole — May 9, 2011 @ 9:28 pm

Would these make good cupcakes? Or would they be too dense?

Moon — October 15, 2011 @ 11:04 am

my home life once i move out will be devoted to making almost everything in the chocolate section of this blog. i hope my pseudo-brother loves getting phone calls for four a.m. chocolate like i do.

Moon — November 1, 2011 @ 11:40 am

oh, my aunt and i made this on saturday, though; it was fantastic! we couldn’t find actual mint chips, so we substituted them with these mint chocolate chips we found that hershey’s makes- just as fantastic! it’s so refreshing!

Tanu — November 4, 2012 @ 10:34 pm

Hi! This cake looks fabulous and I wanna make it this week for a relative. Where can I find the mint chocolate chips? I’ve already checked Target and Trader Joe’s with no luck.

Lilly — January 2, 2013 @ 9:40 am

We don’t have Mint chocolate chips here so I’m thinking if maybe chopped up (slightly frozen) after eights would work.. I’ll be back with the results! =D

Where to buy kratom extract 15x — August 12, 2013 @ 6:23 pm

It is the best time to make a few plans for the longer term and it’s time to be happy. I have read this submit and if I may just I desire to recommend you some fascinating issues or suggestions. Perhaps you can write subsequent articles regarding this article. I desire to read more things about it!

1. Pingback: Tweets that mention Melt-In-Your-Mouth Mint Chocolate Cake. | How Sweet It Is --

2. Pingback: teeth bleaching tray: Platinum Dental Whitening System | teeth bleaching tray

3. Pingback: disaster « One Day at a Time

4. Pingback: Chocolate 4 U Blog

5. Pingback: Kitchen Fail « YoungHungryFoolish

6. Pingback: christmas sweet eats « One Day at a Time

7. Pingback: Latest Chocolate Auctions | Chocolate Recipes for You

8. Pingback: oh my pizza | What Kelly Said

9. Pingback: Salty Caramel Drenched Double Chocolate Loaf Cake | How Sweet It Is