As I stood over the stove this past weekend stirring a pot of creamy baked potato soup, I pondered brownies.

I was craving them.

There are chocolate cravings, and then there are chocolate cravings.

You know the ones… so intense that the only cure is a dense brownie that hurts your teeth or a slice of cheesecake so rich that it takes 30 full minutes to eat.

That’s what my Saturday night was about. It was so wild. Wait until you hear about Sunday!

And I knew I couldn’t go wrong with this recipe when I’d have so many utensils to lick.

Do you know what these brownies don’t lack?

Sugar.

Two whole cups of sugar, that is. There is more sugar than flour in these brownies.

And they have a crackled, crunchy top. The texture is perfect.

But don’t let that fool you. Inside is a fudgey, chewy brownie bursting with chocolate flavor and gooey chocolate chips.

I know there are people out there who find some desserts to be too rich, and well, I must say that I… have no idea what you’re talking about.

But in case that happens with these brownies, top them with some fluffy white frosting to cut the sweetness.

Crisis averted.

If you do that, you have to promise me that you will top the frosting with more shaved chocolate. Because what goes better with chocolate, butter and sugar than more chocolate?

Nothing. That’s what.

I’ve decided that I like brownies in cupcake form more than squares. They are larger and taller and while that may not seem like a big deal, it means a lot when it comes to chewy, gooey, chocolaty brownies.

And this also means that they are perfectly portioned for those of us that lack self control around chocolate. But that’s not me. No way. I didn’t need to hide these in the back of the freezer so I’d stop eating them, strategically placing them behind 4-year old bags of frozen broccoli. Why would I need to do that?

Fudgey Brownie Cupcakes

makes 12-14 cupcakes

1 stick of butter

3 squares Baker’s chocolate

2 cups sugar

4 eggs

1 cup flour

2 tablespoons cocoa powder

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

1 cup chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 350.

Melt butter and baking sqaures in a microwave safe bowl. In the mixing bowl, cream melted butter and chocolate mixture. Add in sugar and vanilla and beat until fluffy, about 2-3 minutes. Add in eggs, beating one at a time. Add flour and cocoa powder and stir just until combined. Fold in chocolate chips.

Fill a muffin tin with muffin liners (I also sprayed my lines with non-stick spray) and fill each liner about 3/4 of the way full. Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until brownie is set. The top with be a bit crunchy and the insides will be fudgey.

Frost if desired and garnish with shaved chocolate.

Fluffy White Frosting

from allrecipes

1 cup white sugar

1/3 cup water

1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar

2 egg whites

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

In a small saucepan, stir together sugar, water and cream of tartar over medium heat until the sugar dissolves and mixture is bubbly.

In a mixing bowl, whip the egg whites and vanilla until they form soft peaks. Slowly add the sugar mixture to the egg whites, beating until stiff peaks form, about 7-10 minutes. Frost brownie cupcakes.

For the record, frozen brownie cupcakes are delicious too. And the broccoli has freezer burn.

187 Responses to “Fudgey Brownie Cupcakes.”

Alexis — January 14, 2011 @ 3:34 pm

I love the recipe, Jessica! One question though: Why not go all in with some ultra rich fudgey chocolate frosting on top? :-) Go big or go home!

Moni'sMeals — January 14, 2011 @ 3:39 pm

Good Lord!
    Yummmmm.

Erin S. — January 14, 2011 @ 5:46 pm

I love your blog! I made these and they were AMAZING!

Sarah:) — January 14, 2011 @ 5:48 pm

Oh my…this is so cruel. I’ve been craving brownies lately and now I see this?? agghhh!

Michelle — January 14, 2011 @ 5:49 pm

I’m completely smitten with that crackled top.

Katie — January 14, 2011 @ 9:02 pm

Yum!! My flatmate and I are going to try and make these tomorrow for a friend’s birthday! We absolutely LOVE your website and think you’re so funny, creative, and cool! In fact we were both late to work today because we were too busy drooling over your amazing photos and gushing over how this is our new favourite website :)

Hanna — January 14, 2011 @ 10:07 pm

Since I don’t have access to Baker’s squares, I was wondering what kind of chocolate and how much 3 squares actually is? Because this looks soooo good…

• Jane B — April 18th, 2011 @ 11:29 pm

I’ve had this recipe in my favourites folder, went to bake it just now…and realised I had the same issue as Hanna. Could you pretty please tell us the weight of the Bakers Squares Jessica?

• Ashley — August 14th, 2011 @ 3:20 pm

Baker’s sqares are 1 oz each. If yo don’t have access to them, there is a substitution “recipe” on the Hershey’s cocoa box: 3 TBSP cocoa and 1 TBSP shortening or oil. I have used it once before and the recipe came out fine.

Becky — January 17, 2011 @ 12:39 am

These are amazing and I love the frosting for them. Perfection! Thanks for another wonderful recipe!

Sarah — January 17, 2011 @ 2:10 am

MMM maybe if i had made these babies in cupcake form i wouldn’t have thought i messed them up! They are so very delicious :)

reluctant veggie — January 17, 2011 @ 4:14 pm

i was just thinking about the joy of brownie cupcakes. those look deeeelicious.

laurie — January 17, 2011 @ 5:54 pm

What is your favorite choc to use for both Bakers and chips? Semi Sweet? Milk? Combo? Anyone?

Manu — January 21, 2011 @ 10:47 pm

Looks so yummy! Will give it a shot for sure! :-)

Cameron — January 23, 2011 @ 3:21 am

Oh yes, these brownies looked so delicious, I went ahead and tried the recipe and made them myself about an hour ago. (1/22/11). I’d upload a pic and prove it but I ate one already. They’re great! So my compliments to the poster. <3

• Jessica — January 24th, 2011 @ 1:48 am

So glad you liked them!

Jessie -- The Messie Kitchen — January 23, 2011 @ 2:46 pm

“I know there are people out there who find some desserts to be too rich, and well, I must say that I… have no idea what you’re talking about”

I have been known to say this too. This recipe looks amazing. I’ve thought about making brownies into cupcakes before but never went through with it. Thanks for sharing!

Katie — February 9, 2011 @ 4:43 am

I just made baby versions of these for my friends birthday! And since I found out tomorrow is her birthday about an hour ago, it was great that these were so easy. And delicious (I had to taste test one to make sure I could give them to her in good conscious.) I will definitely be trying other recipes from your blog.

Sara — February 14, 2011 @ 5:09 am

I just made these for Valentine’s Day. They came out great! I made some peanut butter frosting and put it on them. Tastes like a Reese’s! :)

• Jessica — February 14th, 2011 @ 12:05 pm

Yum!

Dee — February 27, 2011 @ 6:15 am

Mine are in the oven. The recipe made 12 regular size and 22 mini cupcakes. Weird. I hope I didn’t stir in the flour too much(no tough brownies please). Has anyone else made these? Also,I love this site!

Mary — March 3, 2011 @ 7:11 pm

I’ve got to make these tonite!!! My husband will love these and I know I’ll eat my fair share! :-) Wondered about the sugar in the frosting. Is it regular white sugar or confectioner’s sugar?? I’m assuming regular white?

Thanks so much for sharing this recipe!

• Jessica — March 3rd, 2011 @ 11:22 pm

Regular!

Mary E. — March 3, 2011 @ 9:09 pm

If you want to guarantee fudgy, add a tablespoon of light corn syrup. Even if you overbake the brownies, they stay moist because of the corn syrup.

Delecia — March 3, 2011 @ 9:36 pm

Is there a printable copy of this awesome recipe?

Mary — March 6, 2011 @ 1:50 am

I just made these and they taste great, but I had some problems with them. The tops rose about 1/2″ above the liner of the cupcake as they were cooking, then when I took them out of the oven, the tops fell in and I’m left with what looks like craters in the cupcakes. Also, when I peel away the cupcake liner, the fallen top breaks away from the bottom half of the cupcake. I used paper liners and did spray them as directed. I’m sure I followed the recipe with the exception of using the beater to mix the flour in. Could that have caused a problem? They still taste great, but really can’t bring them as they are to a dinner tomorrow night. Any suggestions would be great! Thanks so much!
    Mary

• Jessica — March 6th, 2011 @ 3:38 am

Hi Mary! Not quite sure exactly what went wrong, but it could have been the flour. Did you use a beater for the rest of the recipe, then just fold the flour in? If you look at my pictures and read the post, the tops are definitely crackly and crunchy but shouldn’t fall too much. Perhaps you can get away with frosting them?

If you want to make them again, I suggest folding in a few cups of mini marshmallows. That is what my original recipe is:http://www.howsweeteats.com/2009/10/07/oooey-gooey-fudgey-brownies/

You can’t taste the marshmallows at all, it just makes them more gooey.

• Mary — March 6th, 2011 @ 4:39 am

Yes, I used the beater for the rest of the recipe but also used it with the flour. Maybe that’s where I went wrong. Beating the flour in, instead of folding it in. I will try it next time w/the mini marshmallows. Thanks for the quick response!!!

• Jessica — March 6th, 2011 @ 12:54 pm

Wait, you’re definitely supposed to beat the flour in. Sorry, I misunderstood the last comment, You use the mixer for the entire recipe!

Mary — March 6, 2011 @ 5:38 pm

Need to adjust the recipe above then. It says to “stir” the flour and cocoa in. That’s why I thought I was wrong using the beater.

Lo — March 6, 2011 @ 8:56 pm

Excuse my term but I use it in a positive fashion……..spit laughing about the broccoli and brownies.
    I am to make brownies for a large gathering taking place first part of April. I am sure I will be making these cupcakes and perhaps others that I have been looking through. For sure the brownie cupcakes win the search hands down so far.
    Might I add that the last brownies I made I just wanted something extra so I added a bit of the mexican chocolate and I sure liked the change for that set made.
    Thanks and loved the entire story……..
    Lo

Lisa — March 17, 2011 @ 7:03 pm

Hi, was going to start making these and on the bakers chocolate is that semi, sweet, bittersweet or can it be any?

Thanks! hy_maintenance@yahoo.com

Lisa — March 17, 2011 @ 8:05 pm

I just made these, just used the bakers chocolate I had in the pantry. Mine did the same thing as Marys. They fell in the middle, bummer! I’m wondering if it’s because I live in high altitude? They taste fine but not very attractive.

~Lisa

• Jessica — March 17th, 2011 @ 9:56 pm

Hi Lisa! Sorry I didn’t get to you in time (I used semi-sweet) – I’m sorry that these fell! They do have a crackle crust (like above in my photos) and there may be some space in between, but they should still be fudgey. Can you cover anything up with frosting?

Celly — March 20, 2011 @ 1:11 am

Hi. I made these they came out yummy but caved in alot. Can I leave them overnight in my cupcake holder or do they need to be refrigerated ? Thanks

chris karres — April 6, 2011 @ 4:58 pm

These cupcakes are fantastic. Easy to make and the batter is smooth and creamy. I made 15 cupcakes out of this recipe. It was hard to tell when they were done. It did take 25 minutes to cook and then it was a guess for me to determine that they were done. The instructions in recipe about when the cupcakes were cooked was not clear. The frost goes well with these rich and moist cupcakes. It is not too sweet. This is a great recipe and I will be making them again. Print this recipe and keep it.

rose — September 8, 2011 @ 9:53 pm

Hi, don’t know if you get these comments on older posts or not… but I made these for a charity bake-sale, and also some for me and the man and the fam.. They are so so good and chocolatey! I am trying to think up reasons no make more :) I added the marshmallows as from your other brownie recipe and they are gooey and perfect. Loved that crispy top… I picked it off several haha. Thanks for this lovely recipe!!
    Oh, i also made roasted green bean fries, as inspired from your blog recipe, though our oven was on the fritz so I had to use the BBQ… but they turned out great and oh my gosh are they good! Like salty and delicious! I am not a big veggie lover so me gobbling these up is a big deal :) Thanks again!

• Jessica — September 9th, 2011 @ 7:17 am

So glad you liked both! :)

Zoe — April 30, 2012 @ 2:22 pm

Do you use self-raising or plain flour? I’m going to make these tonight with a caramel buttercream frosting for my friend’s birthday tomorrow :) They look so good!!

Jaime D. — August 1, 2012 @ 11:11 am

I made these cupcakes last night for a friends birthday and they turned out amazing!!! Thank you so much for this great recipe!

Nurul — February 16, 2013 @ 8:45 am

I tried making these n they don’t look like yours at all :( the top has got many holes and texture is cakey not fudgy :( I did fold in the flour n cocoa as u mentioned.
    May I know how long to beat the eggs in? Would it be better to use a hand whisk/wooden spoon right from the start? Pls advise. Thank you…

1. Pingback: Home Sweet Home. | How Sweet It Is

2. Pingback: Tweets that mention Fudgey Brownie Cupcakes | How Sweet It Is -- Topsy.com

3. Pingback: Cinnamon Pecan Crusted Salmon. | How Sweet It Is

4. Pingback: Peanut Butter? Brownies? Cupcakes? | Sweet Tooth Sweet Life

5. Pingback: Crazy Chocolate Coconut Cupcakes « I <3 Vegetables

6. Pingback: Menu Plan Monday « M&SJ+C

7. Pingback: Red Velvet Brownie Recipe | How Sweet It Is

8. Pingback: Double Dinner Triple Dessert « Young Aspirations

9. Pingback: Birthday Wishes and Frosting Dreams

10. Pingback: Apple Pie Cupcakes « Bake, Robot!

11. Pingback: Apple Pie Cupcakes | The Baking Robot

12. Pingback: Brownie Cupcakes with Cookie Dough Frosting | Dinners, Dishes, and Desserts

13. Pingback: Brownie Cupcakes with Cookie Dough Frosting Recipe - takingtimeformommy.com

14. Pingback: | My attempt to cook my way through Pinterest while training for my first half marathon…but not simultaneously

15. Pingback: Brownie Cupcakes with Cookie Dough Frosting Recipe - takingtimeformommy.com