On Monday, I spilled an entire bowl of tomato soup on our like-new beige carpeting.

It literally flew 15 feet in each direction. At least I had enough sense to not photograph it before it set. I cried. I scrubbed. Mr. How Sweet came home. He got annoyed. He scrubbed. I threw a hissy fit. I threw his pillow down the stairs. He slept on the couch. He cuddled up to me in bed at 3 am. I sleep-elbowed him in the nose.

Oh marriage!

I think we all know what happened to this infamous egg. It committed eggicide (coined by NancyC in the comments) on Wednesday.

I learned my lesson and kept this spill from Mr. How Sweet. Until I posted it on my blog this afternoon.

I’m still learning.

Tonight, I tried to reheat some corn. It exploded in the microwave.

Like… all over the microwave.

Ignore the filth of the microwave.

Oh yeah, and today my kitchen looked like this.

I feel better. You guys are like therapy.

61 Responses to “One Of Those Weeks.”

Michele @ Healthy Cultivations — January 7, 2011 @ 12:52 am

Sorry you’re having a rough week! It’s bound to get better. :)

Sarena (The Non Dairy Queen) — January 7, 2011 @ 12:54 am

Holy crap, that was my kitchen yesterday! I couldn’t breathe when I stepped back and saw it. I swear it did not look like that while I was actually cooking! I hate that you go through this, but I love that I am not alone!

Torrie @ a place to share... — January 7, 2011 @ 12:56 am

Thank you for making me feel normal- about my MESSY kitchen (okay- house) and my irritable mood as of late (my husband was close to getting the “couch” last night… well, one of us was, anyways. :)

It can only go up from here, right??

Meaghan — January 7, 2011 @ 12:57 am

Hope you got the soup out ok! Not that long ago I spilled an entire plate of spaghetti on my carpet, so I feel your pain.

Blog is the New Black — January 7, 2011 @ 1:00 am

My kitchen looks like that every day.

Rene Rodgers — January 7, 2011 @ 1:03 am

Wine, cheese and crackers for dinner! You need it :P

Lisa @ Dishes of Mrs. Fish — January 7, 2011 @ 1:03 am

Fifty hugs.

It was one of those weeks in my classroom this week too.

Like I go to defy gravity with some magnets and couldn’t do it.

Epic fail. I looked like an idiot in front a bunch of third graders.

Ms. Frizzle I’m not.

You need a dog. Mine is better than anything Hoover makes. :)

Melissa — January 7, 2011 @ 1:11 am

Oh dear God . . . we are twins. Hang in there, love. :)

Nourhan @ Miss Anthropist's Kitchen — January 7, 2011 @ 1:14 am

I’ve learned that the best thing to do while you’re waiting for something to bake is to clean the mess you’ve made. It’s less frustrating and makes the wait worthwhile :)

Justeen @ Blissful Baking — January 7, 2011 @ 1:18 am

Have a glass of wine and a bubble bath :) Sounds like you’ve had a rough week!

Cynthia (It All Changes) — January 7, 2011 @ 1:22 am

I love that you make such fabulous food and your kitchen looks exactly like mine…I have faith that my cooking skills will improve.

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey — January 7, 2011 @ 1:23 am

I’m glad other people write about their wacky marriages too – it doesn’t make me feel so bad for the crazy things that happen around here!

Alexandra — January 7, 2011 @ 1:24 am

Haha- Isn’t blogging the BEST therapy!? You can bitch about WHATEVER YOU WANT and generally SOMEONE cares and is willing to console you! Believe me, I know how “those weeks” go. Sorry to hear about the carpet :-( Hope your weekend gets better!

Natalie — January 7, 2011 @ 1:26 am

Aw Jessica I love you! Believe me if you only saw the disasters at my house…. I made oatmeal Sunday morning and proceeded to spill it all over myself and the couch before I could take my first bite… Hope your taste buds are healing!

Kelly — January 7, 2011 @ 1:32 am

Man, it must be that kind of week for everyone! Tonight as I was mixing up some of your cornbread and it exploded all over the place. Aaaaaallll over the place. As my husband put it: It was like you spun a baby around and this came spinning our of its mouth. Gross.

Just think of this as your spill quota for a while. :)

• Jessica — January 7th, 2011 @ 2:39 am

LOL. Ew.

The Duo Dishes — January 7, 2011 @ 1:39 am

We’ve all been there. It can only go up from here.

Ashley — January 7, 2011 @ 1:51 am

Ohhh this is so amazing. I had pasta sauce explode in the microwave recently…such fun ;)

Donna — January 7, 2011 @ 1:52 am

So nice to know i’m not the only one that is a wee bit disaster prone!
    Your egg looks super yummy even if it is on the floor :o)
    Hope your day improves!!!

Corey @ the runners cookie — January 7, 2011 @ 2:05 am

Haha why do things like that always happen in the same week? I think a messy kitchen means amazing creations are to follow :)

Brynne — January 7, 2011 @ 2:17 am

I love that BBQ sauce is hanging next to the rolled oats ..

• Jessica — January 7th, 2011 @ 2:39 am

I know.

Jess — January 7, 2011 @ 2:26 am

We ALL have those days..the other day my dad’s wine flew all over (even on his head, haha)

Oh life ;)

Vanessa — January 7, 2011 @ 2:26 am

Oh I love this. At least I know I’m not the only one who has kitchen disasters like that. I spilt coffee on my rug today, before I even took a sip!! Ugh.

Kristel — January 7, 2011 @ 2:26 am

I recently found your blog and I think it’s like therapy for me! I’m trying to get better in the kitchen and knowing that you and your readers experience the same “natural disasters” in the kitchen that I do makes me feel better. Hopefully next week will be better for all!

• Jessica — January 7th, 2011 @ 2:38 am

So glad you like it Kristel! :)

Healthy chocoholic — January 7, 2011 @ 2:55 am

I blew up my chicken once. Don’t really know how that happened, but it was supposed to be dinner and then it was all over the microwave. Then I dropped the rest of the container of it onto the kitchen floor and my cat came running in to stick his nose in it. So not only did I screw up my dinner, I screwed up everyone else’s! =P

Paige @ Running Around Normal — January 7, 2011 @ 3:12 am

Oh girl! The week’s almost done – and tomorrow’s Friday! Good things :)
    And LOL at the tomato soup story. I heart you :)

Andy — January 7, 2011 @ 3:15 am

luckily your brother is in cleaning chemical sales and will be home this weekend!

Mary @ Bites and Bliss — January 7, 2011 @ 3:18 am

Hmmm..looks like a job for Mr. How Sweet ;)

Carbzilla — January 7, 2011 @ 3:32 am

Thank you so much for sharin your REAL life making the rest of us feel normal. Life is hard sometimes! Hang in there.

Maggie — January 7, 2011 @ 4:08 am

I feel your pain. I made quinoa stuffed peppers earlier this week, and while attempting to move one of them from the pan to a plate dumped the entire hot mess of quinoa all over my counter. My counter recovered from that, but it’s questionable if it will survive after the red velvet cupcakes I made tonight. Red food dye is easy to wash out, right???! :(

Leah @ Why Deprive? — January 7, 2011 @ 4:47 am

Two things.

First, if you cook for me, I will clean your kitchen.

Second, once I tried to hard boil an egg in the microwave. Like, I put a whole egg in a bowl of water, into the microwave. It didnt work. Water and egg bits were everywhere. I feel your pain.

Alaina — January 7, 2011 @ 5:03 am

Hmm…Sweet Baby Ray’s :-)

I always try and keep spaghetti from exploding in the microwave but the paper towel keeps slipping off!

Sues — January 7, 2011 @ 5:30 am

Hehe that kitchen is all too much a familiar site to me :) Messy kitchens just mean you’re working hard in it! Clean kitchens are totally boring. And go you for not taking a photo of the tomato soup before cleaning it!!

Kocinera — January 7, 2011 @ 6:11 am

Oh, I feel your pain! Spills and mishaps definitely come with the cooking territory, don’t they? Think of your messy kitchen as a badge of honor!! That’s how I like to see it. :D

Tracy — January 7, 2011 @ 6:27 am

Oh, I feel your pain on the spilling stuff on the floor. We have aggregate flooring in our kitchen and in one weekend, my husband dropped a bowl of guacamole and I dropped a big (HUGE) blob of butter on the floor. Not pretty. Then when I was making cranberry sauce, I put it in the blended when it was still too hot and the lid came off and it wasn’t pretty. lol. Also, for spots on the light colored carpet, SpotShot works very well. I have light carpet and a very pukey cat. lol. Good luck!

Paul jennette — January 7, 2011 @ 12:14 pm

Ah, kitchen issues…I would say that anyone who cooks regularly has a kitchen that looks like that a couple of time a week. Sorry about the carpet, egg and tomato soup = No good. I hope you have a GREAT weekend and a better week next week!!

Beth @ 990 Square — January 7, 2011 @ 12:19 pm

We all have those weeks. On Wednesday night I dumped an entire plate of dinner (chicken, peas, rice) into my lap because I was trying to read a message board and eat at the same time. And I left my house a total disaster before we left to go to Florida (where we are right now because I’m running the WDW Half Marathon tomorrow!!). My husband isn’t thrilled about these things, but he understands in the long run.

That’s why we get married, because it’s for better or worse. We have to be there to hold hands on the beach with each other, but also there to scrub stains out of carpet with each other. :-)

jenna laughs — January 7, 2011 @ 1:26 pm

Barbecue sauce and chocolate chips on the counter at the same time? You are my kinda woman.

Kim in MD — January 7, 2011 @ 1:35 pm

Oh, Jessica! I would have cried about the tomato soup all over the carpet, too! I hope you were able to get the stain out! I’m sorry you had such a rough week…I hope your weekend is better!

Stephanie — January 7, 2011 @ 2:30 pm

hah! Just wait til you have kids. Not only am I a disaster but three mini disasters running around can wreak a whole lot of household havic. :)

brandi — January 7, 2011 @ 2:42 pm

I hope the soup came out of the carpet! Everything is else is okay – frustrating, but okay :)

My microwave looks the same. Pitiful! :)

Kacy — January 7, 2011 @ 2:42 pm

Sunday morning I burnt two waffles. Cooked two more waffles and then dropped one covered in syrup on the floor along with half a plate of scrambled eggs. I cried.

Fallon — January 7, 2011 @ 3:23 pm

LOL oops! I hope you were able to get the soup out of your new carpet, that is stressful. As for microwaves I blew up an egg in there and it EVERYWHERE. It also didn’t get the microwaved smelled like egg for a few days.

Marg — January 7, 2011 @ 3:52 pm

Haha, I’ve done the same with coffee! Kinda sounds like our arguments!

Jessie K — January 7, 2011 @ 4:37 pm

So I know an EXCELLENT hardwood floor guy… ;)

Samantha — January 7, 2011 @ 5:30 pm

I am quickly becoming a “How Sweet it Is” Junkie. Your posts are like looking at my house from a distance. I have had days, weeks and months like yours as well. This is why I have hardwood through out the house. But you give me hope! Thanks for your posts!

• Jessica — January 8th, 2011 @ 2:08 am

Thank you for reading!

mary (what's cookin' with mary) — January 7, 2011 @ 5:34 pm

you crack me up!

i am totally a clean as I go cook and looking at your kitchen makes me want to come clean it ;)

Brenda — January 7, 2011 @ 6:46 pm

OMG!!!

I love how you are normal like me and most of the people that commented.
    Don’t stress about the mess enjoy it a little.

We all have our days when we just want to stare and stare and just stare, hopping that the mess will eventually disappear.

My solution is to play some music and dance while I clean up my mess :)

Kelly — January 7, 2011 @ 7:00 pm

This sounds like what happens in my house. My kitchen is sadly currently a disaster as well. :-/ Which was pretty embarassing as I had an unexpected visitor (my building’s maintenance guy) this morning.

Michelle — January 7, 2011 @ 7:07 pm

My kitchen looks like that more often than not. I wanna know what you made with oats, bbq sauce, and chocolate chips! :)

Alisha @ Wee Foodie Fashionista — January 7, 2011 @ 8:06 pm

I can’t even tell you how many times I’ve sent full glasses of water (which is okay) or milk (which is awful) flying across the living room. Luckily we have hardwood floors and puppies to help out. I recently bought a bunch of those starbucks cups with a screw-on lid so I can drink in safety. Yay adult sippy cups!

Oh, and I’ve definitely dumped entire plates of food on the floor. Nachos, spaghetti, etc. I don’t think I can ever have carpeting.