One of my fondest memories as a child is eating toast with butter and cinnamon sugar at my grandparents house.

It forever solidified my adoration for all things cinnamon sugar. My grandma even had this fun little cinnamon sugar shaker that we loved to use. It looks like a little man… and now that sounds creepy.

These days, I’m satisfied with cinnamon sugar in a bowl.

Ever since I made easy, cheesy whole wheat crackers a few months ago, I’ve been anxious to try some other versions. Next came everything flatbreads which are some of my favorites. But I thought it was time to sweeten things up a bit.

You know, since I haven’t done that in a while.

Plus, these are just too easy! You can make them from start to finish in 20 minutes and they make an excellent snack. You can eat them in less than 20 minutes too.

Trust me.

And you can make little square crackers or longer flatbreads. I’m all about the flatbreads. They are a perfect vehicle for more deliciousness.

I obviously had to add some “butter” to my crackers, after discovering that I’m the only one on Earth who found that strange. Mother Lovett would be proud, but is probably scolding me from up above that it’s not actual butter.

I made a big batch of these last weekend and we had them to snack on all week. Topped with peanut butter and bananas, or jelly, or cream cheese, or fruit salsa, or even a little slice of cheese. You know I love my sweet and salty.

And I should mention that I don’t do “little” slices of cheese.

[print_this]

Cinnamon Sugar Flatbread Crackers

makes a bunch

1 cup all purpose flour

3/4 cup whole wheat pastry flour

1 teaspoon baking soda

1/2 teaspoon salt

1/2 teaspoon cinnamon

1/2 cup + 2 tablespoons warm water

1/4 cup olive oil

2 tablespoons sugar + 3/4 tablespoon cinnamon for sprinkling

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

Combine flours, baking soda, salt and cinnamon in a bowl and mix well. Add water and olive oil and mix until a dough forms, using your hands at the end. Form it into a bowl.

Dust a baking sheet with flour and roll the dough as thin as you can with a rolling pin. Sprinkle cinnamon sugar mixture all over top and cut with a pizza slicer into small or large crackers. Bake for 10 minutes, or until golden and crisp. Let cool completely.

[/print_this]

I’m thinking I should have topped the peanut butter one with bacon. Next time!

117 Responses to “Cinnamon Sugar Flatbread Crackers.”

Alaina - The Jogging Concierge — February 18, 2011 @ 3:59 pm

Those look amazing! I remember having white bread, flattened out, topped with butter and sugar. And then I rolled it up. Called it a rocket ship. :-P

• Jessica — February 18th, 2011 @ 11:35 pm

Hahahah! Cute.

Moni'sMeals — February 18, 2011 @ 4:01 pm

Like giant cinnamon toast crunch cereal, but better!

YUM!

Shawn @ I Wash...You Dry — February 18, 2011 @ 4:27 pm

Yum! Those look delicious!!

Clarissa — February 18, 2011 @ 4:37 pm

They look just like homemade graham crackers, YUMMY!! I used to eat graham cracker cereal (no explanation needed!)

Jess — February 18, 2011 @ 4:41 pm

i always used to put cinnamon and sugar on my toast, it’s so comforting:)
    i made crackers once and they turned out great, nice to have a sweet variation now too.

Rachel @ The Avid Appetite — February 18, 2011 @ 4:47 pm

I LOVE cinnamon and sugar, especially on buttered toast. Love the idea of using them on crackers!

Katie@Cozydelicious — February 18, 2011 @ 4:51 pm

Amazing! I want to eat the whole batch! I can;t believe I have never made crackers… but sweet cinnamon ones sound like a great place to start!

Ivy — February 18, 2011 @ 4:54 pm

That is funny, because I have the same wonderful memories of my grandparents making me nighttime snacks of wonder bread, with tons of butter, melting and a perfect dusting of cinnamon sugar, somehow it is hard to replicate it now.

• Jessica — February 18th, 2011 @ 11:34 pm

I know, it definitely doesn’t taste as good.

marla {family fresh cooking} — February 18, 2011 @ 5:17 pm

These look amazing Jessica – especially with giant dabs of PB on top!

Rachel — February 18, 2011 @ 5:21 pm

I find the whole butter on the cracker thing odd! I have never heard that before!

Melissa (MelissaLikesToEat) — February 18, 2011 @ 5:21 pm

I have a little glass shaker that’s shaped like a bear for cinnamon and sugar. It was my grandmas too!

Jeannette — February 18, 2011 @ 5:21 pm

I bet these would be great with your cookie dough dips too! You should figure out a way to make chocolate flatbread crackers!

• Jessica — February 18th, 2011 @ 11:34 pm

I thought about that too – definitely good with cookie dough dip!

EatLiveRun — February 18, 2011 @ 5:33 pm

these look wonderful! I could use one with pb right now..

blackbookkitchendiaries — February 18, 2011 @ 5:39 pm

these look amazing! i need to make some soon:) thanks for sharing this.

Ashley — February 18, 2011 @ 6:06 pm

Yum! I bet my mom would love these.

When I saw cinnamon, my mind immediately went to cinnamon buns. I didn’t see it listed under your recipes. Have you ever blogged any?

• Jessica — February 18th, 2011 @ 11:33 pm

I make pioneer woman’s and they are by far the best. I’ve never posted a recipe of my own but I did make a vanilla cream glaze for them! http://www.howsweeteats.com/2010/12/26/vanilla-cream-glaze/

• Ashley — February 20th, 2011 @ 12:50 am

Thank you!! Don’t know how I missed that. I blame pregnancy brain (which is also my excuse for the cinnamon bun craving… and, now, naan. Eating for 2? More like 4. Whoops)

Karly — February 18, 2011 @ 6:18 pm

These look so delicious! I’ve always loved cinnamon graham crackers with peanut butter…bet these are just as yummy!

Tracey — February 18, 2011 @ 7:21 pm

These look awesome! Cinnamon sugar reminds me of being a kid too, my grandmother had the same little man :)

Brooke @ bittersweetb — February 18, 2011 @ 7:22 pm

Home-made cinnamon sugar graham cackers? Yes please!!!!!!!!

Lisa {Smart Food and Fit} — February 18, 2011 @ 7:45 pm

Just like a cinnamon toast crunch vs. cinnamon gram cracker. Yummo!

Kulsum at JourneyKitchen — February 18, 2011 @ 8:14 pm

Recently found ur blog through tastespotting and then saw on your tastykitchen and then again saw your on foodgawker so its time I said HellO :-D This looks absolutely delicious!

• Jessica — February 18th, 2011 @ 11:31 pm

Thank you for saying hi! :)

Lauren — February 18, 2011 @ 8:15 pm

These sounds amazing. I too remember eating cinnamon sugar toast…..ahh memories. Thanks for the post.

Amy B @ Second City Randomness — February 18, 2011 @ 8:19 pm

I made flatbread crackers last week- and they were pretty good!

Actually, they were supposed to be super thin like wheat thins… but yeah… I was not as strong as I thought I was with a rolling pin. :)

Ellie@fitforthesoul — February 18, 2011 @ 8:48 pm

That reminds me of Corner Bakery’s harvest cracker/breads!

Meaghan — February 18, 2011 @ 10:46 pm

I have a cinnamon and sugar shaker! I haven’t used it in awhile, but this is giving me the urge to start using it again :) I haven’t had cinnamon sugar toast in agessss. And I need to get me some pastry flour so I can make these stat!

• Jessica — February 18th, 2011 @ 11:29 pm

Ah! Yes you do. It’s too good to go that long without it.

Christina — February 19, 2011 @ 4:07 am

I love them. Great for snack time!

Sylvie @ Gourmande in the Kitchen — February 19, 2011 @ 4:54 am

Perfection! This has all my favorite snack components – savory (crackers), sweet (sugar), and spicy (cinnamon). And I love the peanut butter topping.

Nicole @ Of Cookies and Carrots — February 19, 2011 @ 4:55 am

That is brilliant, it looks delicious! I totally want to make it…

Biz — February 19, 2011 @ 4:58 am

Two things remind me of my grandma – her cinnamon toast – she used only Butternut bread, and then broiled it in the oven so that the edges were crispy, yet the inside was soft, buttery deliciousness. The second is fresh cantaloupe. Every time I cut open a cantaloupe I am transported back to her kitchen!

Have a wonderful weekend Jessica!

jenny eats nutella from a spoon — February 19, 2011 @ 10:02 am

GAH i am making these for SURE!

Mackenzie@The Caramel Cookie — February 19, 2011 @ 1:09 pm

I too love all with things cinnamon sugar!

Gabrielle — February 19, 2011 @ 1:48 pm

My mum used to tell us off for eating cinnamon-sugar on toast. Apparently it wasn’t a ‘proper’ breakfast. We had to be pretty sneaky when we needed our cinnamon-suagr fix

Eliana — February 19, 2011 @ 2:22 pm

These could not look more perfect :)

Kelly @ Laughter, Strength, and Food — February 20, 2011 @ 4:59 am

I will totally be making these because I think I have made 500 batches of the cheese crackers! I can’t wait to try them! :-)

katie — February 20, 2011 @ 10:06 pm

Seriously come to your blog and smile and drool every time : p U are amazing! Do u have a cookbook, if not you need to be published for sure! I love that you have the option for us to print the recipe too! I love when bloggers have that!

Cinnamon graham crackers is what these look like , I used to LOVE those when I was little!

• Jessica — February 21st, 2011 @ 3:06 am

Thanks girl! :)

Kristen — February 21, 2011 @ 4:02 am

my grandmother, then my mom, and now I make my son these thin crisp and put cinnamon and sugar on top. YUMMY!

Becca — February 21, 2011 @ 6:26 am

Ooo! Looks like cinnamon and sugar graham crackers almost…. Delicious….

Melissa Bakes — February 21, 2011 @ 8:35 pm

These look awesome! I would make these today if I just need pastry flour! Dang it.

Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction — February 24, 2011 @ 2:05 am

Yum!! These totally remind me of those cinnamon sugar graham crackers.Adding these to the baking list!

Justeen @ Blissful Baking — February 28, 2011 @ 11:57 pm

I made these crackers this morning, and they were a success! Delightfully crispy, crunchy crackers and just perfect for spreading with nut butter! Thanks so much for such an awesome, easy recipe!

Maranda — March 17, 2011 @ 12:22 pm

I think my kids will love this! Can I use whole wheat flour if I can’t find whole wheat pastry flour? Thanks!!

• Jessica — March 17th, 2011 @ 12:33 pm

I wouldn’t use whole wheat – they will probably be very dry and gritty. If you can’t find the whole wheat pastry, just use all all-purpose!

1. Pingback: Tweets that mention Cinnamon Sugar Flatbread Crackers | How Sweet It Is -- Topsy.com

2. Pingback: “Excuses” « Fitnessnfoodiegirl's Blog

3. Pingback: Cooking Challenge Day #19 – Cinnamon Sugar Flatbread Crackers « Ella Rose Entertaining

4. Pingback: a new crunch « the edible perspective