One of my fondest memories as a child is eating toast with butter and cinnamon sugar at my grandparents house.

It forever solidified my adoration for all things cinnamon sugar. My grandma even had this fun little cinnamon sugar shaker that we loved to use. It looks like a little man… and now that sounds creepy.

These days, I’m satisfied with cinnamon sugar in a bowl.

Ever since I made easy, cheesy whole wheat crackers a few months ago, I’ve been anxious to try some other versions. Next came everything flatbreads which are some of my favorites. But I thought it was time to sweeten things up a bit.

You know, since I haven’t done that in a while.

Plus, these are just too easy! You can make them from start to finish in 20 minutes and they make an excellent snack. You can eat them in less than 20 minutes too.

Trust me.

And you can make little square crackers or longer flatbreads. I’m all about the flatbreads. They are a perfect vehicle for more deliciousness.

I obviously had to add some “butter” to my crackers, after discovering that I’m the only one on Earth who found that strange. Mother Lovett would be proud, but is probably scolding me from up above that it’s not actual butter.

I made a big batch of these last weekend and we had them to snack on all week. Topped with peanut butter and bananas, or jelly, or cream cheese, or fruit salsa, or even a little slice of cheese. You know I love my sweet and salty.

And I should mention that I don’t do “little” slices of cheese.

[print_this]

Cinnamon Sugar Flatbread Crackers

makes a bunch

1 cup all purpose flour

3/4 cup whole wheat pastry flour

1 teaspoon baking soda

1/2 teaspoon salt

1/2 teaspoon cinnamon

1/2 cup + 2 tablespoons warm water

1/4 cup olive oil

2 tablespoons sugar + 3/4 tablespoon cinnamon for sprinkling

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

Combine flours, baking soda, salt and cinnamon in a bowl and mix well. Add water and olive oil and mix until a dough forms, using your hands at the end. Form it into a bowl.

Dust a baking sheet with flour and roll the dough as thin as you can with a rolling pin. Sprinkle cinnamon sugar mixture all over top and cut with a pizza slicer into small or large crackers. Bake for 10 minutes, or until golden and crisp. Let cool completely.

[/print_this]

I’m thinking I should have topped the peanut butter one with bacon. Next time!

117 Responses to “Cinnamon Sugar Flatbread Crackers.”

VeggieGirl — February 18, 2011 @ 11:58 am

THAT’S ONE OF MY CHILDHOOD MEMORIES TOO!

Matt @ The Athlete's Plate — February 18, 2011 @ 11:59 am

Toast with cinnamon and sugar used to be one of my staples!

Lauren — February 18, 2011 @ 12:02 pm

I also used to adore cinnamon & sugar toast – why haven’t I made that in the past 20 years?! These crackers look fantastic – especially with peanut butter smeared over the top! I bet they’re even better than my favorite cinnamon & sugar pita chips.

Dishes of Mrs. Fish — February 18, 2011 @ 12:04 pm

Delicious! I love the idea of eating these with fruit salsa!

Taylor — February 18, 2011 @ 12:04 pm

Cinnamon sugar on buttered toast was one of my favorite breakfasts as a kid!! I’m not sure why I ever stopped eating it now that I think of it…. I can’t wait to make these….I’ve never tried making my own crackers but these definitely got my attention.

• Jessica — February 18th, 2011 @ 12:10 pm

It’s so good!

Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg — February 18, 2011 @ 12:05 pm

Oooh, these remind me of cinnamon graham crackers!! Yum yum!

• Jessica — February 18th, 2011 @ 12:10 pm

Now that I think about it, they sort of are like graham crackers!

Estela @ Weekly Bite — February 18, 2011 @ 12:05 pm

My daughter would LOVE these! So would I :)

Brenna [fabuleuxdestin] — February 18, 2011 @ 12:07 pm

YUM! I miss Graham crackers! I’ll have to make these as a substitute!

Melissa — February 18, 2011 @ 12:11 pm

Given the fact that I make your easy cheesy whole wheat crackers for “wine & cracker night” pretty regularly, I’m excited to put these into the rotation. Please tell me I’m not the only one who can make a meal out of wine & crackers??

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey — February 18, 2011 @ 12:12 pm

We used to have a cinnamon sugar shaker too! We were all about the cinnamon sugar toast – and soft pretzels. Oooo make those next.

Katrina — February 18, 2011 @ 12:14 pm

Yummy looking crackers! I love the idea of a sweet cracker. Mmmm.

Kristina @ Life as Kristina — February 18, 2011 @ 12:25 pm

Yum..I would be munching on those all day!

Cara — February 18, 2011 @ 12:28 pm

We used to have cinnamon sugar toast all the time as kids! My mom and gramma also had a little man for a shaker, that was ALWAYS full of cinnamon and sugar. These crackers look amazing. They remind me of cinnamon sugar graham crackers which I love!

Jil @ Big City, Lil Kitchen — February 18, 2011 @ 12:28 pm

Ohhh – these look delicious!!

Hannah — February 18, 2011 @ 12:29 pm

True story: I used to work at a cafe that had cinnamon toast on the breakfast menu. However, the Australia owner thought that this meant toast, butter, and cinnamon. No sugar.

I always pitied the poor customers who ordered it, not realising the savoury “treat” they were about to get…

• Jessica — February 18th, 2011 @ 12:46 pm

Oh my gosh… hahah!

Aimee Shugarman — February 18, 2011 @ 12:30 pm

Yum! These look great! Do you have to seperate the dough before baking?

• Jessica — February 18th, 2011 @ 12:46 pm

Nope, just cut with the slicer and bake. They come apart while baking.

• Aimee Shugarman — February 18th, 2011 @ 1:20 pm

Wow, that makes them even easier! I am trying these today!

Melanie @ SpareTimeBaker — February 18, 2011 @ 12:37 pm

Cinnamon sugar on buttered toast has always been one of my favorite things!!! I still eat it, I can’t stop! :) btw, I love your yield quantity: “makes a bunch”!!!

Kristen @ That Hoosier Girl — February 18, 2011 @ 12:39 pm

I used to LOVE cinnamon sugar toast (with butter on first of course!)! It was always for special treats in the mornings before the bus showed up :)

Amy at TheSceneFromMe — February 18, 2011 @ 12:42 pm

These are like little thin and crispy graham crackers. I need to make these and put my SPREAD peanut butter on them!
    My mom used to make us cinnamon and sugar log houses by cutting up toast in pieces and stacking them.

• Jessica — February 18th, 2011 @ 12:46 pm

Ah! You definitely need to do that!

Lauren at KeepItSweet — February 18, 2011 @ 12:44 pm

I love all things cinnamon and sugar! These look like the perfect vehicle for peanut butter or cream cheese!

Natalie — February 18, 2011 @ 12:47 pm

Yay! Best little sweet snack ever…. :) I might dip mine in butter haha

Joanna Sutter (Fitness & Spice) — February 18, 2011 @ 12:47 pm

Num three times!

I can almost taste and smell them from here!

Christie {Nourishing Eats} — February 18, 2011 @ 12:53 pm

My husband and I were just talking about eating cinnamon toast as kids. I can vividly remember the cripsy layer of sugar and the melty cinnamon underneath and the crisp edges of the toast.

Yum :D

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat — February 18, 2011 @ 1:00 pm

You had me at cinnamon. :D

Julie @ Shining From Within — February 18, 2011 @ 1:01 pm

These look delicious! Theres so many things you could do with these too. Yum!

Sarena (The Non Dairy Queen) — February 18, 2011 @ 1:02 pm

Ok, this is weird, I was actually imagining that I was smelling cinnamon toast all afternoon yesterday. I was either having a stroke or I was craving cinnamon and sugar. These look perfect!

As for you comment to me yesterday…thank you so much for being there for me! I am so lucky to have you in my life! Have a great day Jessica!

• Jessica — February 18th, 2011 @ 1:38 pm

You are the best. <3

Jen @ keepitsimplefoods — February 18, 2011 @ 1:02 pm

Sounds perfect with some cream cheese or apple butter!

• Jessica — February 18th, 2011 @ 1:11 pm

Didn’t even think of apple butter! Yum.

melissa — February 18, 2011 @ 1:13 pm

These look delicious…definitely comforting!

Kim in MD — February 18, 2011 @ 1:21 pm

I love cinnamon sugar on toast! These crackers looks amazing, Jessica!

Elizabeth@The Sweet Life — February 18, 2011 @ 1:23 pm

What a great idea–I agree, cinnamon toast is the ultimate comfort food!

Erica — February 18, 2011 @ 1:39 pm

Oh my gosh! My best friend & I (growing up) used to make cinnamon sugar toast and say that we were such expert chefs haha. These crackers look phenom.

Beth @ 990 Square — February 18, 2011 @ 1:41 pm

You’re not the only one who butters crackers. My grandma taught me to do that…and sometimes we would even top them with cinnamon and sugar too!

Allison @ Novice Life — February 18, 2011 @ 1:41 pm

YUM! These look fantastic and I bet my niece and nephew would love them too!

Heather — February 18, 2011 @ 1:45 pm

my mom used to take homemade pizza dough that was leftover and add butter and cinnamon and sugar…heaven!

Liz @ Blog is the New Black — February 18, 2011 @ 1:45 pm

Ohhhh, yum!

mary (what's cookin' with mary) — February 18, 2011 @ 2:04 pm

Oh my heavens, these look so good!

Fallon — February 18, 2011 @ 2:11 pm

It like those Stacy pita chips with cinnamon sugar… You eat the whole bag!!

These look so good and very sturdy. A great vehicle for PB ;)

Andrea @ Vegvacious — February 18, 2011 @ 2:29 pm

….I love cinnamon sugar toast too!! Once in a while if I have a sweets craving and there’s no chocolate to be found I will make a piece to satisfy my sweet tooth. Love the thought of making it into a flatbread.

• Jessica — February 18th, 2011 @ 11:37 pm

I make it to satisfy my sweet tooth too!

Justeen @ Blissful Baking — February 18, 2011 @ 2:30 pm

Yum! These flatbread crackers look fantastic!
    I love eating toast with butter and cinnamon sugar too! :)

Jenny — February 18, 2011 @ 2:30 pm

Cinnamon Sugar..yum. They would be pleasently delightful dipped in coffee. Or crushed on ice cream..the options are endless:)

Annie — February 18, 2011 @ 2:34 pm

my Mom was always a butter-er of crackers, too … saltines to be exact, so of course i did too at times. I then loved dipping them into chicken noodle soup!

Krystina (Organically Me) — February 18, 2011 @ 2:35 pm

These look so simple! I must make a batch for snacks.

DessertForTwo — February 18, 2011 @ 2:44 pm

Maybe these will replace my Stacy’s cinnamon pita chips at $50 a bag! I can’t wait to make these!

Have you seen Oh She Glows homemade wheat thins? I think it’s going to be a cracker-makin’ weekend for me!

Happy Friday! :D

• Jessica — February 18th, 2011 @ 11:37 pm

I devour those Stacy’s chips. They are addicting!

Ari @ ThE DiVa DiSh — February 18, 2011 @ 2:44 pm

Oh Yum! I am totally OKAY with topping them with PB! I think I would have dipped them in chocolate too! :)

kate@ahealthypassion — February 18, 2011 @ 2:47 pm

cinnamon sugar toast was my favorite when I was a kid we were only allowed to have it when we were sick though so I loved getting sick! I have to try these they look amazing!

brandi@BranAppetit — February 18, 2011 @ 2:57 pm

cinnamon sugar toast and cheese toast were always tied as my favorites growing up.

These would be awesome with nutella, too!

Ricki — February 18, 2011 @ 3:21 pm

I’m 30 years old and I still love cinnamon sugar toast! In fact, I ate some this morning for breakfast! I can’t wait to make these crackers. Thanks for sharing the recipe! :)

Chloe @321delish — February 18, 2011 @ 3:24 pm

I just recently found your blog and LOVE IT. My boyfriend claims that food isn’t good unless it has cream and butter and also LOVES bacon. You two should meet haha.

Those crackers look delish and I bet would be pretty awesome with some type of cream cheese dip!

Have a great day!

• Jessica — February 18th, 2011 @ 11:35 pm

Thanks so much Chloe!

Michelle — February 18, 2011 @ 3:30 pm

They look great. What a wonderful after-school snack they’d be.

Sydney — February 18, 2011 @ 3:42 pm

I definitely grew up with cinnamon & sugar. I now have a big container of my own all mixed up and ready to go on toast or anything else at a moment’s notice! I just saved this link, I am totally making them soon, thank you!
    Have a good weekend!

1. Pingback: Tweets that mention Cinnamon Sugar Flatbread Crackers | How Sweet It Is -- Topsy.com

2. Pingback: “Excuses” « Fitnessnfoodiegirl's Blog

3. Pingback: Cooking Challenge Day #19 – Cinnamon Sugar Flatbread Crackers « Ella Rose Entertaining

4. Pingback: a new crunch « the edible perspective