1. I found a stinkbug on a window this morning. I almost tossed my cookies. I despise those things. Was it naive for me to assume they would just disappear? I want to move to that place where no bugs or rodents exist.

2. Instead of yoga, I went back outside for a walk today after the gym. It was so nice because it is in the 60s. In February! I would have tried running, but I didn’t want to die.

3. I checked out that bathing suits on the Victoria’s Secret website this morning. Then I contemplated jumping out the window.

4. I used cream in a recipe instead of butter this morning. I don’t know why that’s Spring-like, but I’ve decided that it is.

5. I considered making a “s’mores bowl” since the s’mores pie is long gone. Nothin’ feels like summer more than s’mores, right? But I ate an apple instead because, well… see #3.

6. I’ve had James Taylor music blasting for the last 3 weeks, which fuels my unnatural obsession with him. It reminds me of summer and Michigan and my childhood and how I am really a 60-year old in a 20-something’s body.

7. I’m in denial about the weather going back to being cold tomorrow. I will probably complain about it and be really annoying.

8. I desperately want a salad. A really, really big one. I’m going to triple this recipe and eat it in one sitting. Salads are healthy! In fact, I’m leaving to get all of the ingredients right now.

50 Responses to “8 Signs of Spring.”

Beth @ Beth's Journey to Thin — February 17, 2011 @ 8:50 pm

Wow. Caramel apple salad is my kind of salad!

Erika @ FoodFitnessFun — February 17, 2011 @ 8:51 pm

I accidentely stepped on a stinkbug at school today. Is it just me or do they kinda smell like cilantro?!

Rachel @ I'm Loving Today — February 17, 2011 @ 8:51 pm

Another sign of Spring – moisture in the air and frizz in my hair!

Sarena (The Non Dairy Queen) — February 17, 2011 @ 8:55 pm

I LOVE Sweet baby James too! All the time…anytime! I NEED a huge salad too! I want spring here so badly!

Kita — February 17, 2011 @ 8:58 pm

#9 My lavender and lemon thyme have started to perk up in the garden.

Im glad Im not the only one craving salads all of a sudden and blaming it on spring. This is a completely new craving for me but Im liking it :D

Julie @ Shining From Within — February 17, 2011 @ 9:06 pm

Haha you’re a goof =) I ate a salad today too it was so warm I just had to!

Lauren at KeepItSweet — February 17, 2011 @ 9:14 pm

yikes on #3! I wish this weather would stick around!!

Jil @ Big City, Lil Kitchen — February 17, 2011 @ 9:31 pm

Love James Taylor – we’re trying to get him for an event at my work!

• Jessica — February 17th, 2011 @ 10:05 pm

I would seriously DIE.

• Jess — February 19th, 2011 @ 12:46 am

I LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE James Taylor! Believe me, Jessica…you are not the only one trapped in a 60 year old’s body!!! My Dad and I danced to Sweet Baby James for our Father-Daughter dance at my wedding!!
        By the way…YOUR SITE ROCKS!!!! Keep up the great work!!! :)

Jen @ keepitsimplefoods — February 17, 2011 @ 9:59 pm

I know what you mean about wanting ice cream when the weather warms up. I had a fro yo (and a nice long walk) in the sunshine this afternoon. Was heavenly.

Sarah R — February 17, 2011 @ 10:09 pm

1. I also went on a walk outside today.
    2. I saw a caterpillar on my walk, boy is he in for a surprise when it gets cold again.
    3. I’ve been playing the James Taylor station on Pandora for weeks. I’ve seen him in concert twice, once with Carol King and it was magnificent.
    4. I’ve been eating big salads all week long, because it’s the only thing that sounds good right now. Well, besides…
    5. I want a big fat milkshake. Chocolate preferably…

Evan Thomas — February 17, 2011 @ 10:19 pm

I love number 4. It’s cream instead of butter, so you could practically slap a “Light” sticker on it and call it low-fat.

Stephanie @ The Cookie Battle — February 17, 2011 @ 10:19 pm

I too looked at the victorias secret bathing suits. Suicide was contemplated. And then I ate a stickers bar. Same thing.

Courtney — February 17, 2011 @ 10:24 pm

Come to New zealand we have no dangerous spiders OR snakes! I don’t think I could ever live anywhere with so any creepy crawlies.

Alaina — February 17, 2011 @ 10:31 pm

Spring is a-comin’! Of course I can do without the bugs, thankyouverymuch. It’s going to be cold for you tomorrow? Just a matter of time before it makes its way to Boston. ;-)

Kristen @ That Hoosier Girl — February 17, 2011 @ 10:31 pm

I did the run…and I think I’m officially dead. The wind here is no. joke.

Meaghan — February 17, 2011 @ 10:45 pm

Oh my god…I spent an abortive nine months in Delaware last year – part of what made me leave the place was the stink bugs constantly getting into my apartment through the air conditioner and buzzing around. I tried so many different ways of getting rid of them…nearly lost my mind. I highly recommend moving somewhere they do not yet exist, like my homeland of New Hampshire, or my current location of Ireland – where you can also run outside for most of the winter!

Lisa — February 17, 2011 @ 10:55 pm

Growing up I woke up every Sunday morning to my mom cooking amazing breakfast’s and James Taylor playing. I could listen to him everyday….so comforting.

bridget {bake at 350} — February 17, 2011 @ 11:00 pm

I LOVE James Taylor, too! Sweet Baby James! ♥

Thank you so much for linking to my light and oh-so-healthy salad. ;) You know, now I’m craving it, too!

Amanda @ The Artsy Kitchen — February 17, 2011 @ 11:06 pm

I really really love James Taylor too, I took my mom to one of his concerts a few years ago for Mother’s day, and it’s still one of our favorite memories ever!!

That salad… looks ridiculously good. It is a salad, and it does contain apples, so it has to be healthy! :)

Melissa — February 17, 2011 @ 11:12 pm

I have been craving salads lately, too. It’s so odd. I think I might be getting sick.

James totally screams Michigan summers! Up on My Roof? Forget it. <3

eliz@the sweet life — February 17, 2011 @ 11:24 pm

I grew up summering in Michigan, too! I didn’t realize we had that in common. Some of my most precious memories!!

Kocinera — February 18, 2011 @ 12:02 am

Ohhh, this post made me giggle! I have to applaud you for going anywhere near the swimsuit section on VS’s website. There is no way that I’ll be reminding myself that bathing suits even exist for quite some time still. Which isn’t such a bad thing, because I have buttercream to distract me. :D

Hannah — February 18, 2011 @ 12:06 am

Oh, please make us the s’mores bowl. Please!

Haley C — February 18, 2011 @ 12:34 am

I love James Taylor! I have seen him in concert twice! He is so wonderful in concert and sounds just like the albums!

Eileen — February 18, 2011 @ 1:23 am

Did you grow up in Michigan? I have seen you mention Michigan a couple times and have seen some of your pictures. I live in Michigan!

• Jessica — February 18th, 2011 @ 2:05 am

Nope – but have vacationed there every Summer. My grandparents and great grandparents were from there.

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey — February 18, 2011 @ 1:43 am

It was warmer here today too, but it was cloudy and mucky. Gross.

I want spring to come so bad!

Lindsay @ Summit Sandwiches — February 18, 2011 @ 1:57 am

You do not need to feel bad about the whole James Taylor thing because I love him too. There is absolutely no shame in the awesomeness of his soft rock/folk music. Plus, I dare anyone to find anything wrong with Fire & Rain. Such a great, beautiful, poignant, moving song!

Bethany @Bridezilla Bakes — February 18, 2011 @ 2:21 am

YAY spring — and I’m like you… “What temperature change? The high is going to be 30 degrees tomorrow? Can’t here you… I have the ceiling fan going…”

Kristina — February 18, 2011 @ 3:07 am

That’s my #1!! I found a stinkbug last night and about flipped out on my husband who lovingly flushed it down the toilet for me =)

Brenna [fabuleuxdestin] — February 18, 2011 @ 7:54 am

I can’t wait for Spring either! I’m sick of running in the cold…

Kathleen @ Kat's Health Corner — February 18, 2011 @ 11:24 am

You walk sounds lovely! :D

Jason — February 18, 2011 @ 11:35 am

When it’s warm in Orlando. I wake up with lizzards everywhere. I’ll take lizzards over bugs any day. When I work at 4 am, I always seem to walk into a spider web somewhere along the way. I made Pepper Jack Biscuits with buttermilk AND butter for a Fried Egg and Prosciutto on a Pepper Jack Biscuits. Yes they were good.

• Jessica — February 18th, 2011 @ 12:11 pm

They sound amazing.

Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine — February 18, 2011 @ 12:14 pm

I think all your stink bugs have been hibernating in my house all winter. And now they’ve multiplied. I found one in my pajama shirt last night, and one on my toothbrush this morning. Old houses are awesome until you’re trying to keep anything- from stink bugs to the cold- out.

Paulette — February 18, 2011 @ 12:25 pm

I can’t wait for spring also. Another sign is a large centipede running across the bathroom floor. You try to kill it with a shoe it escapes and you wait, finally it sneaks out from a tiny crevice in the floor, as it runs faster you finally succeed and kill it and scream to youself, its spring. I HATE BUGS. But I love spring. Paulette

Amy at TheSceneFromMe — February 18, 2011 @ 12:39 pm

Finally, a yard without ice and snow! My puppies are happy. They wouldn’t go on the ice. And I can finally walk outside without my nose hairs freezing :)

Rivki Locker (Ordinary Blogger) — February 18, 2011 @ 12:52 pm

I am CRAVING Jersey tomatoes and basil. Just a few more months to go! And I love your salad recipe. Now, that’s a salad I could eat any day! :)

Kim in MD — February 18, 2011 @ 1:29 pm

We are getting a tease of warm weather, too, but tomorrow it’s back to the cold, and next week it is going to snow! Enough already!

I found a stink bug in my house yesterday, too. I was hoping all the cold and snow wiped them out for good! No such luck, I guess!

Kay — February 18, 2011 @ 2:49 pm

First I have to LOL LOL reading your blog to all the posts What is with these Stink Bugs? I found two in my house yesterday too, where are they hiding!
    I think MN has been the new cryogenics testing site after this winter, maybe that is why so many like lutefisk? So bring on Spring and salads, and starting gardens of veggies.

Love your recipes

Callie — February 18, 2011 @ 3:45 pm

I said it once, (think it all the tme!) I’ll say it again–reading your posts make my day. Kudos to you for bringing wit and charm into the kitchen and into so many lives! If you’re ever in the Pacific Northwest, let’s do lunch!

• Jessica — February 18th, 2011 @ 11:35 pm

Thank you so much Callie!

Rachel — February 18, 2011 @ 5:45 pm

Hint about the stinkbugs: Fill a spray bottle with dishsoap-water and go outside and spray the heck out of those suckers. They’ll die, it’s not toxic so you don’t need to worry about spraying to your heart’s content, and (most importantly) it keeps them from breeding so you don’t get round 2 in the fall. It’s oddly satisfying hunting and killing them, too. It really works!

• Jessica — February 18th, 2011 @ 11:33 pm

I will get so much satisfaction out of this.

Amanda — February 18, 2011 @ 6:58 pm

You are too funny!! And witty! And adorable!

Alyssa — February 18, 2011 @ 8:20 pm

I lol-ed for real after reading #3. I totally feel ya! I think I’ll hide under oversized sweatshirts a little while longer ;)

Mary @ Bites and Bliss — February 18, 2011 @ 9:47 pm

I love VS bathing suits!! But yes..looking at them does spike a slight “jumping out the window” feeling. :P

sasha — February 19, 2011 @ 12:17 am

ah, i have also been recently horrified by the vs website while bathing suit. because of this, i posted a picture of marisa miller from the catalog my fridge. to remind myself everytime i reach for something with too much fat. not sure if its working yet…