I am always looking for new and exciting ways to eat fish.

Crispy Bourbon Glazed Salmon I howsweeteats.com

It has turned out that I’ve made at least one new seafood dish every week for the last month. We love seafood so much and now that the spring is coming, I find myself craving it more and more. If only we lived in an area where fresh seafood was accessible. Pittsburgh… that is not you.

I really don’t discriminate when it comes to seafood. Okay, well I have a hard time actually eating the tentacles when it comes to calamari, but a good bit of breading always helps. When it comes to salmon, I love it two ways: grilled and broiled. When broiled, it develops a crispy, crunchy crust that I absolutely adore. You just can’t beat it!

Crispy Bourbon Glazed Salmon I howsweeteats.com

It’s my go-to way for preparing salmon. Especially because I am afraid of the grill. Perhaps this summer I will set a goal to get more comfortable with the grill? Girl meets grill. Then grill will meet bacon.

When my mom made that romano crusted fish last week, she also baked some store-bought bourbon glazed salmon that left us all less than impressed. But I loved the sound of bourbon glazed salmon and was dead set on creating my own glaze this past weekend.

Crispy Bourbon Glazed Salmon I howsweeteats.com

I was thrilled with the results. Even Mr. How Sweet, who moaned and groaned and refused to try the glaze on it’s own, stating that he “doesn’t eat bourbon” absolutely loved the salmon. And I think that the glaze will be delicious on chicken and shrimp and maybe even… dare I say it? Vegetables.

Crispy Bourbon Glazed Salmon I howsweeteats.com

The recipe makes a good bit so you have leftovers – simply store it in the fridge and use for a glaze or dipping sauce later. And if you don’t like the taste of bourbon, don’t fear… it’s nothing like drinking the straight stuff. It’s sweet and a little bit tangy, somewhat reminiscent of a barbecue sauce. I could eat it with a spoon, but that shouldn’t surprise you.

It compliments the salmon so perfectly that you can serve it as the main course, in a taco, in a salad (boo!), on a bagel or in some sort of sandwich. The possibilities are endless!

Crispy Bourbon Glazed Salmon I howsweeteats.com

Bourbon Glazed Salmon

makes about 1/2 cup of glaze

1 pound fresh salmon

1 tablespoon coarse sea salt

1/2 tablespoon black pepper

3/4 cup bourbon

2/3 cup brown sugar

1 garlic clove, minced

1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar

1 tablespoon worcestershire sauce

1 tablespoon honey

1/2 teaspoon ground mustard

Combine the bourbon, sugar, mustard, garlic, honey, vinegar and worcestershire in a small saucepan and whisk. Heat over high heat and allow it to come to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and let simmer for 8-10 minutes, or until mixture reduces by about half. Pour mixture in a bowl and let sit at room temperature while the salmon cooks. The glaze will thicken a bit at this time.

Preheat the broiler in your oven. Make sure the salmon is dry and season it with the coarse salt and pepper on both sides. Lay it on a non-stick baking sheet.  Broil for about 5-6 minutes on each side, until the top develops a crispy crust. If your salmon is very thick, you may need to go a little longer.

Remove the salmon from the oven and brush it with the bourbon glaze. Add as much or as little as you would like. Feel free to use it as a dipping sauce too. The glaze can be stored in the fridge for a week or two – just allow it to come to room temperature (or slightly warm it) before using.

Crispy Bourbon Glazed Salmon I howsweeteats.com

Salmon for breakfast, anyone?

144 Responses to “Crispy Bourbon Glazed Salmon.”

Claire @ Live and Love to Eat — March 23, 2011 @ 12:44 pm

Wholley’s isn’t a terrible option for fish in Pittsburgh =)

Gorgeous photos, making me hungry!

• Jessica — March 23rd, 2011 @ 2:16 pm

You are right – they are great!

Natalia - a side of simple — March 23, 2011 @ 1:11 pm

I adore the little bit of green garnish in the background. I like the way you think. It’s always nice when you don’t have to actually eat it ;)

• Jessica — March 23rd, 2011 @ 2:16 pm

Ain’t that the truth!

Anne — March 23, 2011 @ 1:50 pm

I’m dropping everything and making this tonight. End of story.

• Jessica — March 23rd, 2011 @ 2:16 pm

Let me know if you like it!!

• Anne — March 24th, 2011 @ 12:23 pm

We LOVED this! Seriously, my husband’s eyebrows shot straight up after his first bite. He said it rivals — maybe even outdoes — our favorite salmon recipe. Since we have fish at least once a week, I have a feeling we’ll be seeing more of this in our future!

• Jessica — March 24th, 2011 @ 6:31 pm

Yay! Thrilled you liked it!

Jil @ Big City, Lil' Kitchen — March 23, 2011 @ 1:54 pm

This literally made my mouth water – looks so good!!

Amy @ A Little Nosh — March 23, 2011 @ 2:04 pm

This is probably the stupidest question ever, but is it safe to give my preschooler? I’m assuming the alcohol cooks off, right?

• Jessica — March 23rd, 2011 @ 2:15 pm

Not stupid at all Amy! I honestly don’t know much about how and when the alcohol cooks off, but I simmered mine for a good 10 minutes, so I’m assuming yes. While you can get a hint of a bourbon flavor in the glaze, it tastes nothing like alcohol.

Laura — March 23, 2011 @ 2:04 pm

OMG YUM. Want. I have been craving salmon for the last few days…tonight is the night for it, methinks.

One quick thing–I don’t live in Pittsburgh, but my boyfriend is from there and his family still lives there, so we go back constantly. I feel like it’s pretty easy and inexpensive to get fish there, particularly at the Strip! (at Wholeys, in particular). Am I just totally wrong???

• Jessica — March 23rd, 2011 @ 2:16 pm

Oh yes, you can get it there and it is great. I don’t live close enough to go every week though. I just think it would be nice to live somewhere that you can get it freshly caught. :)

Nicole, RD — March 23, 2011 @ 3:02 pm

Awww snap! That looks so good! I saw an orange glazed salmon earlier, and now this…I want salmon for dinner!

Jo @ Jo In the Kitchen — March 23, 2011 @ 3:12 pm

That sounds so delicious! I’m definitely giving it a try.

Jenna — March 23, 2011 @ 3:25 pm

I love this recipe, and I don’t exactly love salmon! Will have to try it out soon!

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) — March 23, 2011 @ 3:36 pm

I think I need this recipe in my life! Seriously it looks amazing. I loved salmon back in the day and love anything bourbon + brown sugar. Oh yum!

Biz — March 23, 2011 @ 4:41 pm

I’ll have to give salmon another try – maybe with this glaze? I am not a huge fan of fish, until I tried Chilean Sea Bass -yum! Too bad my store sells it at $24.99 a pound – WTF?! :D

• Jessica — March 23rd, 2011 @ 4:45 pm

OKay, that is insane!

Holly @ yepiatethat — March 23, 2011 @ 4:55 pm

Yumm!! This glaze might have to make it’s way onto some grilled veggies tonight!

Krista — March 23, 2011 @ 9:53 pm

Well, doesn’t that just look perfect! Adding it to my must-make list.

Melissa — March 24, 2011 @ 12:55 am

I love love love salmon. I love it grilled. I’ve never tried it broiled but will have to change that soon. The burbon glaze looks yummy i think i may have to give it a try.

Amanda — March 24, 2011 @ 7:51 am

Jessica. Its 6:50am and I am drooling for this.

Cant wait to try it… maybe tonight! :)

bronsont — March 24, 2011 @ 9:53 am

I can’t wait to try this, but I have one question. My wife is allergic to both onion and garlic.

Can you suggest something to substitute for the garlic in the recipe?

• Jessica — March 24th, 2011 @ 6:34 pm

Possibly more peppers?

justine @ you're so martha — March 24, 2011 @ 4:57 pm

ok. alcohol and brown sugar. i will be making salmon for the first time ever tonight now. thanks!

• justine @ you're so martha — March 24th, 2011 @ 5:13 pm

my husband informed me we are out of bourbon — the travesty! do you think dark rum would work instead? he thinks it will but i’m skeptical.

• Jessica — March 24th, 2011 @ 5:45 pm

I think it would work! I love rum.

Anna — March 24, 2011 @ 7:24 pm

Hi. I’m a stylist in LA and I’m totally obsessed with your blog. I’d love if you visited my new blog for multiple posts a day on all things fashion. I just moved to California after graduating back in south with a degree in visual merchandiser. In attempt to get my heel in the door, I’ve launched a site all about celebrity fashion and the trends that create it. Check out what Brad, Rachel Zoe’s former associate shared with me and find out my latest trend report. I’d love the support. I’m following you, I hope you’ll do the same. Thanks so much.

And don’t forget to follow on Twitter for all the latest celebrity fashion news, from an LA stylist.

Andrea @ CanYouStayForDinner.com — March 26, 2011 @ 11:58 am

Your food styling lately has been OUT.OF.THIS.WORLD. I love the perspective shots with lots of background. They add such dimension and visual interest. Truth: Someday I’d like to be you.

Maranda — March 26, 2011 @ 4:19 pm

Salmon is one of the few types of fish I will eat. I can almost taste this glaze. Yum!

Kendel @ Eating Abroad — March 27, 2011 @ 11:10 am

What type/ brand of bourbon did you use?

linzo — May 15, 2011 @ 3:55 pm

I realize this is an older post but can’t wait to make this! I’ve had bourbon chicken with shallots and it’s FAB, so I can only imagine how amazing this is since I love salmon!

Arantha — June 2, 2011 @ 12:31 pm

I made this last night for dinner…seriously the best salmon I have ever cooked. You could just drink that glaze on its own! YUM!! Thanks! :) I am trying your Crispy Shrimp Tacos on Friday. Every recipe I have tried on your blog has been fantastic (Clams Casino, Artichoke Bread, Bourbon Salmon)…I can’t wait to make more of your delicious food!!!! I love your blog and read it every day.

Sinfully Scrumptious — August 4, 2011 @ 9:23 pm

So happy I found this blog! Can’t wait to try more recipes!

Lauren — August 17, 2011 @ 5:51 pm

I’m making this as we speak. EXCELLENT recipe. Also, just so you know…adding like 2/3 cup balsamic vinegar makes a totally different but still AMAZING glaze. Just simmer a bit longer to account for the added liquid. MMmmmm you should try it! Thank you SO much for this recipe.

Lauren — August 17, 2011 @ 8:53 pm

OOooooooh it turned out SO good. THANK YOU! (Gorgeous photography btw!)

Amanda — August 23, 2011 @ 3:48 pm

Penn Avenue Fish in the Strip is THE best place to get quality fish in Pittsburgh. Wholey’s is a great option too, but PAFC is tops for sure. They also have a great menu if you are looking for lunch while you are shopping. I’m a resident in the Strip so I’m spoiled; the ability to just pop over to PAFC and Penzey’s to pick up a few things is bliss!

Sarah — October 5, 2011 @ 3:26 pm

Hi! This looks amazing and I’m making it on Friday. What do you suggest to serve it with? I’m never sure what would be the best side with salmon!

Mrs. Smith — October 12, 2011 @ 9:52 pm

I made this tonight. FABULOUS. Thank you for such a wonderful recipe.

rose — November 3, 2011 @ 10:36 pm

I made this for dinner tonight it was so delicious!! I used a lot of substitutions because I didn’t have all ingredients on hand.. I used 1/3 Jack Daniels + 2/3 Canadian Club Rye + splash of vanilla instead of bourbon because I didn’t have any. Also soy sauce instead of worcestershire, and red wine vinegar instead of apple cider… anyways it is so delicious and flavourful on the salmon, and I can only imagine how good it is with the right ingredients LOL! Of course my boyfriend covered it in ketchup (seriously!) but I chose to not notice. And broiled salmon is awesome, I never knew how to cook it that measured up to grilling because grilled salmon is THE BEST!! But broiled its crispy too and juicy! Thanks for the fab recipe and cooking tip :) I’m excited for yummy salmon all year now, not just in the summer!

KARA — April 2, 2012 @ 4:38 pm

i soooo LOVED it the 1st time i made it & so did my fiancee im going home to make it again tonight it’s been 3 months since we last had it GO GiRL :)

Tammy — April 8, 2012 @ 8:08 am

I made this for my husband and a friend last night and we all gave it thumbs up! Delicious!

Kathleen — July 1, 2012 @ 12:21 pm

This is a very good recipe! I live in Pensacola, Florida and we have all kinds of fresh seafood – this is great on sea scallops as well! Thanks!!!

Sam — July 9, 2012 @ 4:48 pm

This looks amazing!

Silly question, though…
    For the “ground mustard” are you referring to prepared ground mustard or ground mustard in spice form? I know I have the prepared stuff and mustard seeds as well as mustard powder, but not sure I have the ground mustard spice.

Thanks!

• Jessica — July 9th, 2012 @ 8:11 pm

Spice form!

Meredith — September 15, 2012 @ 7:20 pm

Yet, another fablous recipe!!!!! The hubster loved it! Plan on using the extra glaze this week over chicken! So far everything I have made from your blog has been terrific!

Jody — January 20, 2013 @ 11:09 pm

Just tried this for a birthday dinner. Would limit broil to 3 min. Per side. Really too well done at 5-6 min. Needed to boil sauce down more. Too thin, but tasty! Will try again.

Lora — February 6, 2013 @ 9:22 pm

Delicious! Even the two year old loved it. Thanks!

DELMAR — February 23, 2013 @ 9:34 pm

something just ain’t right with this recipe, i followed it to the “T” and i got a sauce with a strong bourbon taste accompanied with a taste of worchestershire sauce. being from Kentucky, i certainly like that Makers Mark Kentucky bourbon taste, but prefer a little milder bourbon flavor on my salmon, On the other hand, i’m not a professional chef, so maybe the problem lies with the writer of this dissertation.

Brandon — March 16, 2013 @ 5:23 pm

When broiling do you broil with the skin side up first?

Http://Www.Gpoaccess.Info/Article.Php?Id=30470 — April 16, 2013 @ 10:11 pm

Yes! Finally something about baked salmon recipes.

northierthanthou — May 14, 2013 @ 1:49 am

Looks tasty.

Online Kredite — May 21, 2013 @ 12:04 pm

sqkyfxw iwdeww dgcneozgcq uebantuo vmnfxuwkzye

Michael — July 21, 2013 @ 11:50 pm

We made this tonight. I had Salmon and the wife had it on chicken. Both were very good. The sauce doesn’t loose the bourbon flavor at all. My sauce came out thinner than expected, perhaps I should have boiled longer than 10min. It was still amazing

Reta — January 13, 2014 @ 4:58 pm

Would this work to use swai fish too??

Emma — January 28, 2014 @ 9:04 pm

This is an amazing glaze! My brother, who barely acknowledges that there’s food in front of him sometimes, complimented it, and my mother asked me for the recipe. I halved the amount of glaze and ended up with plenty.

pam — February 17, 2014 @ 10:08 pm

This is seriously delish! The only suggestion I would make is to brush some of the glaze on when the salmon is done and let it caramelize in the oven a bit. :) I also added a bit of chopped scallion to the garlic and cooked it ahead of the other ingredients, and added a squeeze of fresh lime juice to the mixture.

Linda — March 27, 2014 @ 7:29 pm

I made this for supper tonight and it went over very well. Even my 20 year old son who won’t eat anything hardly, liked it. I did broil it then add the glaze on towards then end to let it caramelize. Definitely a keeper.

Elizabeth — April 10, 2014 @ 8:12 pm

THIS IS TO DIE FOR! exactly what I was looking for.very easy to make, I had to substitute the dry mustard for 3 tsp of regular yellow mustard and it was delightful.
    Will he remaking it soon.

1. Pingback: recipe reco: crispy bourbon (rum) glazed salmon | you're so martha

2. Pingback: Finally Friday « Trails and Treats

3. Pingback: Eat right with color! | Move over, Celery!

4. Pingback: Salmon: Take One | The Mod Antiquarian

5. Pingback: Lighten Up. | How Sweet It Is

6. Pingback: Easy Pantry Meals: Dinners with Simple Ingredients

7. Pingback: The First Hot Run of the Season | Healthy Happier Bear

8. Pingback: Roasted Bourbon-Glazed Chicken Breasts | How Sweet It Is

9. Pingback: Maple Bourbon Glazed Pork Chops. | How Sweet It Is

10. Pingback: » Crispy Bourbon Glazed Salmon from How Sweet It Is

11. Pingback: Bourbon Glazed Pork Chops with Apples and Onions | Hudson on the Potomac

12. Pingback: Vanilla Cinnamon Walnuts & Blueberry Vinaigrette – A “Connection” « legallybaked

13. Pingback: Crispy Bourbon Glazed Salmon & Balsamic Roasted Asparagus | Gourmet Beauty

14. Pingback: My Weekend In Food Pt 11 « IamSimplyTia

15. Pingback: Bourbon, Blogs, and Bitter Roommates | The IsharaComix GradBlog

16. Pingback: Wine: Chateau Ste Michelle – 05/08/13 | books, life, & wine

17. Pingback: Crispy Bourbon Glazed Salmon | Cluck, Cluck, Doo!™

18. Pingback: Bourbon-Glazed Salmon With Mint Salad And Brussels Sprouts | Haris