No more boring chicken meals for you!

These skewers are a spinoff of our favorite healthy chicken fingers, and taste quite similar. By skipping a few steps, the skewers can be completed within 45 minutes (or less) and I think we can all agree that eating something off a skewer is much fun than a boring old piece of dry chicken. Easy, quick, delicious… check!

Although in case you were wondering, Mr. How Sweet would still eat a piece of boring, old dry chicken for the simple fact that it has the word “chicken” in it in. He’d probably even savor it.

I, on the other hand, need a little somethin’ somethin’ with my chicken fingers. Or chicken strips. Or chicken skewers. I love dipping sauces from horseradish to honey mustard to BBQ sauce. The wackier the better. The fancier the better. I mix my sauces while Mr. How Sweet smothers everything in ketchup.

If you’ve never made homemade BBQ sauce, you are missing out. In my opinion, there is nothing like it. Good enough to drink. I’ve been making it long before I ever had a blog. It’s one of my favorite things. So can someone explain the 3 bottles of Sweet Baby Ray’s in my fridge?

These chicken skewers are known to be a peace offering in our house. For the days when I break the bank on basil, and shoes, and other unnecessary foodie purchases that make Mr. How Sweet squirm. Just ask him. Last night I roasted a chicken and he instantly forget that I spent our life’s savings on exotic mushrooms this past weekend. I probably shouldn’t remind him.

Crispy Chicken Skewers

serves 2-4

4 large boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into cubes

3 egg whites

2 cups panko breadcrumbs

1/4 cup whole wheat pastry flour (any flour should work)

1 tablespoon BBQ seasoning (I use McCormick’s)

1/2 teaspoon salt

1/2 teaspoon pepper

Preheat oven to 450 degrees. If using wooden skewers, soak them in water for at least 15 minutes before use.

Cut chicken into cubes and tenderize it if desired. In a bowl, combine egg whites and lightly beat with a fork. In another bowl, add panko, flour, 1/4 teaspoon each of salt and pepper, and 1/2 tablespoon BBQ seasoning. Lay a wire rack on a baking sheet and spray it with non-stick spray.

Season chicken with remaining salt, pepper and BBQ seasoning. Dip each piece in egg whites then in the panko mixture. Skewer, repeat with remaining chicken pieces, and lay on the wire rack. I skewered about 4-5 pieces of chicken on each stick (depending on size) and got 6 skewers. Spray with non-stick spray or spritz with olive oil. I find that spraying them with spray gives them crunch but does not cause the oven to smoke at the high temperature.

Bake for 12 minutes, flip over, and bake for 12 more. Serve with honey BBQ sauce.

Honey BBQ Sauce

slightly adapted from The Neely’s

2 cups ketchup

1 cup water

1/2 cup apple cider vinegar

5 tablespoons light brown sugar

1/4 cup honey

1/2 tablespoon molasses

1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper

1/2 tablespoon onion powder

1/2 tablespoon ground mustard

1 tablespoon lemon juice

1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce

Combine all ingredients in a saucepan and let come to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and cook uncovered for approximately 2 hours, stirring occasionally. The mixture will thicken and reduce a bit.

I’m just glad I have enough chicken to last the rest of the week. Means I can do a little more damage.

116 Responses to “Crispy Chicken Skewers with Homemade Honey BBQ Sauce.”

The Teenage Taste — March 29, 2011 @ 7:07 am

I didn’t even know it was possible to make your own BBQ sauce! I have loads of Sweet Baby Rays in my house. It’s so good!

That last picture is really nice. I feel like the chicken is calling my name! Haha! :-P

• jane litterini — April 11th, 2011 @ 8:17 pm

Wow Jessica, That looks so good I may have to try it!!! I love all your recipes and your stories

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) — March 29, 2011 @ 7:08 am

I could just drink the sauce. It looks awesome and love how crispy looking the chicken got. And I don’t even eat chicken :)

But seriously, me and sauces/dips..I swear, I like to have a little food with my gallon of sauce :)

Erica — March 29, 2011 @ 7:08 am

They look perfect! I really enjoy making healthier chicken fingers as home. I haven’t homemade bbq sauce yet (We’re sort of obsessed with sweet baby rays and all of its HFCS goodness)- I must give it a go

Blond Duck — March 29, 2011 @ 7:12 am

I would adore this. Ben would whine about the big hunks of meat.

Gen — March 29, 2011 @ 7:18 am

I’ve never ever made my own bbq sauce….and I’m from Memphis! hahahaha
    Will probably start making it soon, though….we don’t get bbq here!

• Jessica — March 29th, 2011 @ 7:34 am

Ah! You must try to make some. It is so delicious.

Katrina — March 29, 2011 @ 7:20 am

The honey BBQ sauce sounds so tasty! Great recipe :)

Holly @ The Runny Egg — March 29, 2011 @ 7:22 am

The chicken looks delicious — and that BBQ sauce? I love BBQ sauce.

Marisa @ Loser for Life — March 29, 2011 @ 7:27 am

I know my family would love these!

Heather — March 29, 2011 @ 7:37 am

i love that neely’s recipe too…it’s so fun to spin off and add some fun flavors and it’s perfect exactly the way the recipe is too!

J3nn (Jenn's Menu and Lifestyle Blog) — March 29, 2011 @ 7:38 am

Panko takes everything to a new level of YUM!

Estela @ Weekly Bite — March 29, 2011 @ 7:41 am

Yum!!!

Food on a stick is way cooler ;)

Jen @ keepitsimplefoods — March 29, 2011 @ 7:54 am

PANKO!

Lindsay @ Pinch of Yum — March 29, 2011 @ 7:56 am

You are inspiring me to jump back on the chicken wagon. I just don’t like making chicken. Eating chicken is a different story. This would be the perfect little app for a Friday night!

Matt @ The Athlete's Plate — March 29, 2011 @ 8:15 am

Oh man those look so good!

Dishes of Mrs. Fish — March 29, 2011 @ 8:21 am

Oh yum! How appropriate for a Tuesday. At the school where I teach, they always serve chicken nuggets or chicken fingers on Tuesday.

However, these look so much better! I’ve been wanting to make my own bbq sauce for awhile now, thanks for the great recipe to start with!

Kim in MD — March 29, 2011 @ 8:24 am

YUM! My family will love this chicken, and I love that it isn’t fried!

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat — March 29, 2011 @ 8:26 am

That sauce looks fantastic!! Perfect for the crispy chicken. Great recipe Jess!

Liz @ Blog is the New Black — March 29, 2011 @ 8:27 am

Delicious!

Cara Craves... — March 29, 2011 @ 8:40 am

I love everything about these! Mmmm!
    Especially the sauce. I would eat the sauce with
    a little chicken on the side :)

• Jessica — March 29th, 2011 @ 10:47 am

Just like me!

Julie @ Shining From Within — March 29, 2011 @ 8:40 am

MMMmmmmMM. I have been looking for a homemade BBQ sauce and this is perfect for the upcoming Spring/Summer time!

jenna — March 29, 2011 @ 8:45 am

mmmmmmm….my baby would love these!! She loves chicken so much her nickname is, nugget! :)

• Jessica — March 29th, 2011 @ 10:47 am

That is so cute!

Sarah — March 29, 2011 @ 9:06 am

These look delicious!! I’m excited to try the sauce too, I haven’t yet found a simple homemade bbq sauce recipe I like, so hopefully this one’s a winner!

Question – why do you only use the egg white to coat the chicken? Just to eliminate the extra fat?

• Jessica — March 29th, 2011 @ 10:46 am

No, I use the egg whites only in some of my recipes to prevent that “eggy” flavor. Sometimes when baking the panko can easily fall off in the oven (since it takes about 25 minutes total) and leave an eggy coating. I usually use whole eggs when I pan fry something first – like chicken romano, pork chops, etc. You are welcome to use the whole eggs if you’d like!

• Sarah — March 29th, 2011 @ 11:34 am

Great explanation – thanks so much!

Claire @ Live and Love to Eat — March 29, 2011 @ 9:21 am

So pretty! Borrowed your similar fish sticks recipe last weekend and they were wonderful!

• Jessica — March 29th, 2011 @ 10:45 am

I love those fish sticks!

Melissa — March 29, 2011 @ 9:25 am

Your pictures always make me want to eat. Like, chicken skewers for breakfast? Um, yep. Dunked in lots of that BBQ sauce! This looks like a winner!

• Jessica — March 29th, 2011 @ 10:44 am

Thanks! ;)

Rachel @ Baked by Rachel — March 29, 2011 @ 9:30 am

I love panko chicken! So soo good. Gonna have to make some homemade bbq sauce one of these days. Looks great! :)

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey — March 29, 2011 @ 9:33 am

There’s no better way to ease a man’s troubled mind about finances than through food!!!

Cara — March 29, 2011 @ 9:33 am

And I was just starting to think I was getting sick of chicken…. this is just what I needed! I can’t wait to make the BBQ sauce!

Caelyn — March 29, 2011 @ 9:43 am

Mmm…I remember you posting the healthy chicken tenders and I’m almost glad I waited to try them so that I can try this incarnation. yum.

Lucy @ The Sweet Touch — March 29, 2011 @ 9:55 am

I didn’t even know it was possible to make BBQ sauce?!

And, I’m not sure I will ever use plain breadcrumbs again now that I’ve tried panko!

• Jessica — March 29th, 2011 @ 10:44 am

I know. I adore panko.

Kristi @ KristiAteIt — March 29, 2011 @ 9:58 am

I’m not a big fan of BBQ sauce ,but I know what I’m making this weekend. That chicken looks delicious. Putting it on a skewer makes it much less boring!

Foodiesonthefly — March 29, 2011 @ 9:58 am

Great recipe! Thanks for sharing!

Cliff @ livelovepasta — March 29, 2011 @ 9:59 am

Those look so good! I don’t know if I’ll be “drinking” the BBQ sauce, haha, but I’m gonna definitely have to try these out! Great pictures too!

Ashley — March 29, 2011 @ 10:14 am

One thing I haven’t made before is homemade bbq sauce! Will definitely be trying yours soon. There is a local mushroom farm right in Ft. Collins. They’re at all the farmers markets. I’ve never actually bought any, but they always look superb! I luuuurve mushrooms!

• Jessica — March 29th, 2011 @ 10:43 am

I need to come visit!

Kelly — March 29, 2011 @ 10:18 am

Yum! This looks fabulous!! Dinner tonight?!

• Jessica — March 29th, 2011 @ 10:43 am

Do it!

thehealthyapron — March 29, 2011 @ 10:18 am

Oh my hubby would LOVE LOVE LOVE these! I have never made homemade BBQ sauce but I want to bc of the HFCS in seemingly every brand! Thanks for another wonderful recipe to try!

Megan (Braise The Roof) — March 29, 2011 @ 10:29 am

I’ll have to try that BBQ sauce recipe- the only times I’ve tried to make my own have been lackluster at best. Putting meat on a stick (or really putting anything on a stick) makes it so much more fun. I’m like a child. I wrote about a ketchup bottle farting last night. Doesn’t take a lot to entertain me.

• Jessica — March 29th, 2011 @ 10:42 am

LOL!

Fallon — March 29, 2011 @ 10:33 am

We were BBQing pork ribs over the weekend and I was sent to go buy BBQ sauce. I’ve made homemade before and agree that it tastes so good! But we were in a pinch and store bought was the way to go. Umm each other contained HFCS! I’m like how can BBQ have this much sugar, let alone made with HFCS.

I really like your BBQ recipe and can’t wait to try it out once we are settled in GA! Love easy meals like this one.

• Jessica — March 29th, 2011 @ 10:42 am

Yes, most of them do contain HFCS!! Crazy! We still use them though, just not a ton.

Cookbook Queen — March 29, 2011 @ 10:39 am

Is there anything better than food on a stick?

Yep. Food on a stick with stuff to dip it in. YUM!!!

Lindsey @ Gingerbread Bagels — March 29, 2011 @ 10:54 am

Oh my do these chicken skewers look incredible. The honey BBQ sauce looks amazing too. Thanks so much for the recipes! :)

Kelly — March 29, 2011 @ 10:54 am

Chicken nuggets on a skewer are adorable. I have to admit I am probably the only American who is NOT a chicken fan, but I love the idea of remaking these with tofu. Definite winner I can tell.

Oh and thanks for all the cake batter recipes. I made the rice krispie treats for my sister’s birthday and they were a huge hit.

Lauren from Lauren's Latest — March 29, 2011 @ 11:00 am

Looks easy and delicious! Love the honey addition in your BBQ sauce!

Angela — March 29, 2011 @ 11:02 am

Can’t wait to try these!!! Thanks for sharing :)

janetha @ meals & moves — March 29, 2011 @ 11:13 am

Yesterday was national something on a stick day! These would have fit the bill.

Lisa @ healthyHFX — March 29, 2011 @ 11:14 am

Between this recipe and the pretzel & honey roasted peanut crusted chicken on Rachel Ray today I think its the worlds way of saying “make chicken for dinner”

It’s not even lunch time and I cant wait t’il dinner.

Mary (What's Cookin' with Mary) — March 29, 2011 @ 11:20 am

I’ve been wanting to make chicken fingers for ages now. I need to get on that! I love how yours get so crunchy, crispy.

Tracey — March 29, 2011 @ 11:42 am

I’d already planned to make chicken tonight, and now I’m going to make your sauce to go with it! Looks awesome :)

• Jessica — March 29th, 2011 @ 11:49 am

Let me know if you liked it!!

Newyorkerbyheart — March 29, 2011 @ 11:54 am

Wow, I SO have to make these, they look amazing :-)

My best,
    Birthe from Denmark

Allison — March 29, 2011 @ 12:28 pm

Ooooh these look so yummy! One of my favorite guilty pleasures is chicken strips and BBQ sauce. There’s just something so tasty about that combo! I love that this recipe makes it not quite so “guilty” though! :)

Amanda @SomethingSavory — March 29, 2011 @ 1:16 pm

Ah I’ve made these before! They definitely make chicken more fun. How can you go wrong with breaded skewers! I had mine with sweet chili sauce which is absolutely delicious! If you haven’t had it before definitely give it a try!

• Jessica — March 29th, 2011 @ 1:38 pm

Yes, I love sweet chili sauce!

Diana @ frontyardfoodie — March 29, 2011 @ 1:18 pm

I’ve been meaning to make bbq sauce but just don’t have all the ingredients. I could drink bbq sauce made by almost anyone so I’m sure my own would be too hard to resist!

1. Pingback: Let’s go bowling. | Yes, I want cake.

2. Pingback: Fun Dinner Idea – Crispy Chicken Skewers with Honey BBQ Sauce « Anywhere I go you go

3. Pingback: Menus, Week of 4/3 | Adventures in Swedenland

4. Pingback: Saturday Stumbles: April 2, 2011 | OAMC from Once A Month Mom

5. Pingback: winner winner chicken dinner | What Kelly Said

6. Pingback: Cooking Challenge Day #61 – Crispy Chicken Skewers « Ella Rose Entertaining

7. Pingback: Healthy Crunchy Onion Rings and Grilled Flank Steak Recipe | How Sweet It Is

8. Pingback: i have a confession | she cooks, he eats

9. Pingback: there’s nothing like nuggets and boobies! | she cooks, he eats

10. Pingback: » Where is all the good Chinese food? Goofy Can Cook

11. Pingback: Just Want S’More! « Doings And Dinings Of Dana

12. Pingback: Christmas Recap! | Ramblings of A Suburban Mom

13. Pingback: Maple Mustard Buttermilk Crusted Chicken Tenders. | How Sweet It Is

14. Pingback: Top 5 dips & sauces {french fries} | Ambitious Kitchen

15. Pingback: 135 Recipes for Football Season | How Sweet It Is

16. Pingback: Cheddar Crusted Chicken Fingers | How Sweet It Is

17. Pingback: Crispy Chicken Skewers « Pure Complex

18. Pingback: Penne with Trapanese Pesto | The Spiffy Cookie

19. Pingback: Buttermilk Almond Crusted Chicken Fingers | How Sweet It Is

20. Pingback: Honey Barbecue Chicken Drumsticks Recipe | Mom Spark™ - A Trendy Blog for Moms - Mom Blogger