Who would have ever thought I would get excited about seeing something green on sale in the grocery store?

Not me.

But that’s what happened when I walked by these super thin asparagus spears. How often do I find thin asparagus that doesn’t look half dead and is on sale? Rarely.

And I sort of like asparagus. Sort of. And by “sort of,” I mean I can chew a spear or two without wanting to upchuck.

The whole upchucking thing usually doesn’t happen until the third of fourth spear.

But I figured I could possibly prevent that mess if I coated these in something crispy and cheesy. That combination never fails.

These were so incredibly easy to make and tasted delicious – kind of like little asparagus “fries.” I made a big batch yesterday and ate nearly all of them before deciding to let Mr. How Sweet in on the goodness. He tasted one and decided he loved them so much that he would take the remaining ones for lunch today. I’m not quite sure how well they will reheat, but for someone who will eat an eight-day old burger with moldy cheese from the depths of our fridge… I think they will certainly fit the bill.

I also think that these will taste even better with thicker asparagus spears. While I love the thin ones (thin = less vegetable chewing), the thick ones will be extra crunchy and get more crispy and cheesy. I’m all for more crisp and cheese. Who isn’t?

[print_this]

Crispy Parmesan Asparagus Sticks

1 bunch of asparagus (mine had about 30 spears)

2 egg whites

1/4 cup flour (I used whole wheat pastry flour)

1 cup seasoned panko breadcrumbs

1/4 cup parmesan cheese

salt and pepper

Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Lay a wire rack on a baking sheet and coat with non-stick spray.

Snap off the tough ends of each asparagus spear. On two separate plates, add the eggs whites (lightly beaten) and the panko + flour + cheese. Season the panko mixture with salt and pepper if desires. Coat each asparagus spear in egg whites, then lay in the panko mixture and thoroughly cover. If the panko won’t stick, dip back in the egg whites and roll in panko once again. Lay each spear on the wire rack.

Bake at 425 for 15 minutes, or until golden brown and crispy.

[/print_this]

Okay. That’s enough of the green stuff for me.

230 Responses to “Crispy Parmesan Asparagus Sticks.”

Susan page — February 12, 2012 @ 9:56 pm

They were so tasty I could of ate the whole bunch of yummy greens,,,,loved

Haley — February 14, 2012 @ 10:55 am

Does the wire rack make a big difference? I don’t have one so could I just use a baking sheet?/

Thanks!

• Jessica — February 14th, 2012 @ 11:59 am

It helps the breading stay on and stay crispy the whole way around.

• Mackenzie — March 3rd, 2012 @ 9:16 pm

You could just place them on the rack and put the baking sheet on the rack underneath so if any crumbs fall that will catch them.

• Cindy — March 24th, 2012 @ 11:41 am

You can use foil like a rack-pull a sheet a little bigger than the cookie sheet-crinkle it up- not in a ball and no too tight- uncrinkle and lay on the cookie sheet-

• CookingMustache — May 14th, 2012 @ 12:04 am

This looks awesome and super tasty. I wonder if it would be good on the grill? If you like to cook chech out Chppd.com its fun, free, and you can win cool prizes.

Mike — February 21, 2012 @ 2:04 pm

“someone who will eat an eight-day old burger with moldy cheese from the depths of our fridge”

Hahahahahaaa…..We men are sooo misunderstood :)

I found your recipe on Pinterest and will actually be using my three day old asparagus for this tonight! Thank you, because you probably kept me from having to throw it out next week!

Heidi McDermott — February 23, 2012 @ 11:23 am

:-) I found this recipe on pinterest too and am so glad I did! I’m trying to eat more veggies, so I was so proud of myself when I bought asparagus at the store this week. But then I brought it home and thought ‘now what in the world am I supposed to do with it?’ I’ve never made asparagus before! This recipe is especially exciting to me because I actually already have all the ingredients for it, and I might even be able to get my kids to eat it too! Thanks!

Betty Hunt — February 24, 2012 @ 8:03 pm

Made it, ate it, LOVED IT!!!

Jessica — February 25, 2012 @ 7:53 pm

Found this on Pinterest and I’ll definitely be trying it tonight! I’ve never been a veggies fan but I’m trying to learn new and easy ways to cook healthier food and veggies while going to college! I’m so excited! Thanks for sharing!

Doreen M Cervenka — February 26, 2012 @ 12:41 pm

Going to try it tonight! Thanks!

Carolapederson pederson — February 26, 2012 @ 7:10 pm

Just tried this today. Yummy. Nice and crunchy

Kanndice — February 27, 2012 @ 8:41 pm

Making these tonight. Wish me luck! Thank you Pinterest.

joanne — February 28, 2012 @ 7:05 pm

I am going to try this tonight. I was scrolling thru pinterest looking for asparagus recipes, and yours looked really good and different. Thank you for your humor!

gina allison — February 28, 2012 @ 8:13 pm

Very yummy and it was especially tasty with a quick little dipping sauce we whipped up (mayonnaise and dijon mustard). I feel like I”ve been reunited with asparagus.

Amy — March 2, 2012 @ 2:51 am

I have a bunch of thick asparagus spears who are definitely sitting in my fridge waiting for this recipe right now! Can’t wait to use them up!

Marie Landry — March 2, 2012 @ 6:39 pm

I actually just bought asparagus today, how timely! Going to try this for dinner tonight – thank you!

Marir — March 4, 2012 @ 3:18 pm

Found these on pinterest. They are in the oven now!

maggie — March 7, 2012 @ 1:39 am

Hey….loved it ! However…I tweeked it….

I always do that….I just can’t seem to mind my own business…..
    I did not mix the flour into the Panko mixtue…I had a plate of flour w../a little cornstarch
    So, I dipped in egg white, then in flour/cornstarch ..then again in egg white.then in Panko mixture….it made a thicker crunchier coating….pretty awesome !!!

Cheryl — March 7, 2012 @ 2:28 am

Oh, these look soooooo good! I absolutely LOVE asparagus! I can eat a whole pound at one sitting, just steamed ’til tender with mock hollandaise sauce. Yumm!
    Anyway, I digress. :D Given my love for asparagus – AND for cheesy crunchiness, I’ll have to make these ASAP!
    And thanks for that tweeking, Maggie. Thicker and crunchier is a good thing. :)

Amie B — March 7, 2012 @ 11:17 pm

I made these tonight (paired with tilapia and seafood rice). I made the whole bunch of asparagus and only had three pieces leftover (which I’m taking to lunch tomorrow). Even my husband who swore he hated asparagus said they were good. “It tastes like what I imagine fresh cut grass to taste like” is what he said. Even my almost-seven year old daughter loved it. VERY happy with this recipe. NOT the mess, but I will figure out a more streamllined way to create it, then I’ll make it again some day. Delicious!

Endre — March 11, 2012 @ 2:15 pm

These looks great. I have planed to grow my own asparagus this year, and know I will try this one

Theresa — March 14, 2012 @ 5:13 pm

Until about 2yrs ago, I was NOT a fan of asparagus! That was until my sister intrduced me to her new recipe, which is similar and dead easy. Prepare asparagus and place on cookie sheet/ coat with olive oil/sprinkle a little salt and broil for 5 min (or desired tenderness)/remove and top with fresh grated parmesan/return to oven until cheese melted……enjoy. My family loooooves these and we cant get enough. Sometimes we make them as a snack.

Cindy Lassiter Rossetti — March 14, 2012 @ 5:45 pm

Did anyone else have any problems getting the crumbs to stick? I tried dipping back into the egg but still didn’t have much success. Any suggestions?

Rachel — March 14, 2012 @ 11:50 pm

new favorite asparagus dish! :)

Jill — March 15, 2012 @ 9:11 am

Excited to try this after I buy farm fresh asparagus, and I bet it would be good on fresh green beans as well!! A two-fer recipe!! :0)

Pamela Goodyear — March 17, 2012 @ 3:48 pm

I tried this this afternoon for lunch with a small twist. I first made a bed of spinach and hearts of romaine. To this I sliced up one roma tomato. I then added a few chucks of freshly made mozzeralla cheese. Just a few fresh organic green beans cut up. I sprinkled on a little fresh shredded parmesan cheese (not too much). I then drizzled just a little extra virgin olive oil with an even smaller drizzle of balsalmic vinegar. I then placed about 5 toasted asparagus sprigs on top. They were wonderful! Much better than a crunchy crouton. I took a picture of it, but I don’t know if I can post it here. I will be making these again for sure.

DeAnn Smith — March 17, 2012 @ 5:42 pm

Im trying tonight.

Lisa Reed — March 18, 2012 @ 9:44 pm

I loved this recipe! Thank you! I was wondering if you used fresh parmesan cheese or the kind in a plastic container. I had trouble getting the mixture to stick to the asparagus…I did try to double dip it like you suggested. The pieces that did stick were so good. I will definitely make this again.

Ravi — March 24, 2012 @ 7:38 pm

Hey, i think those asparagus are yummy! But do i need to boil them first?? Thankx!!! :)

Erin — March 28, 2012 @ 8:22 pm

Made this tonight. Didn’t have bread crumbs so crushed up some croutons. It was AWESOME! Trying the same on green beans tomorrow. Thanks for the inspiration!

Gayle Metcalf — March 29, 2012 @ 9:16 am

These sound delicious. I’ve already started thinking of other veggies this would work on. My sweetie was HIGHLY offended when I suggested that he would eat the moldy burger from the depth of the fridge. Isn’t it nice that Pinterest aficionados make you chuckle first thing in the morning.

joanne — March 30, 2012 @ 9:56 am

I use the same batter for other veggies. There is never any leftovers in my house!!! :)

jenny — May 1, 2012 @ 8:34 pm

Just made these…. so good! Thanks for the recipe.

Kaitlin — May 9, 2012 @ 12:51 am

This was not a good as I thought it would be. It definitely lacked in flavor…

Summer — May 14, 2012 @ 1:55 am

Thanks for this recipe! I made these tonight for my husband, mother-in-law and grandmother-in-law and everyone loved them!! :)

Tanya Gumkowski — May 20, 2012 @ 9:23 pm

You might try Panko bread crumbs instead of flour. They will be even crunchier! I will try this with an egg replacer wash and my Vegan “Parmesean” to see how it turns out!

• Adinaserot — March 27th, 2014 @ 12:32 pm

I need to know! How about veganaise to make it stick?

amy — May 22, 2012 @ 6:36 pm

I would make sure it is a very deep plate. My fiesta plates made a mess. Maybe I will use bread pans next time.

Catherine Chan — May 31, 2012 @ 10:29 am

I order it in restaurant and I love it. awsome

Danielle — June 5, 2012 @ 8:18 pm

I tried these (minus the flour)…they came out great! My six year old even ate them :-) I’m interested to see how they reheat tomorrow night. Thanks for sharing the recipe!

When you get a free moment, check out:
    ChatterOutLoud.com

I’ll be searching for more recipes on your site…thanks!

Christi — June 15, 2012 @ 8:10 pm

I liked the crunchiness BUT these had no flavor! Definitely could use some garlic and spices…

keli gatlin — June 23, 2012 @ 11:55 am

omg these look so good and easy to make!

Jennifer — July 15, 2012 @ 1:44 am

We usually eat grilled asparagus with a drizzle of olive oil and garlic so I thought why not try this recipe. We all thought there was no taste. They were very crunchy, but I think the flour is what made it tasteless. I know we will stick to our simple yet tasty way!

Brittny M. — August 29, 2012 @ 2:07 am

Made these tonight! Even had skinny asparagus lol. Sooo good. Don’t feel like enough of the breading stayed on, will add a touch of olive oil to the egg wash next time and let you know!!!

here’s my page, I’ll post your recipe for my fans!

Ferdinand Vanstrander — April 20, 2013 @ 10:33 am

Asparagus has been used as a vegetable and medicine, owing to its delicate flavour, diuretic properties, and more. It is pictured as an offering on an Egyptian frieze dating to 3000 BC. Still in ancient times, it was known in Syria and in Spain. Greeks and Romans ate it fresh when in season and dried the vegetable for use in winter; Romans would even freeze it high in the Alps, for the Feast of Epicurus. Emperor Augustus reserved the “Asparagus Fleet” for hauling the vegetable, and coined the expression “faster than cooking asparagus” for quick action.`

My current web portal

haven — April 24, 2013 @ 5:40 pm

I found this on Pinterest. I’ve made in a few times and they turn out perfect every single time! I love this recipe and I would say that a wire rack is required to make them perfect!

sherry @ diets — July 7, 2013 @ 2:24 pm

I love asparagus and this recipe looks delicious. it is great for a healthy low calorie diet. I can’t wait to try it.

iherb promo codes — August 12, 2013 @ 3:41 am

What’s up it’s me, I am also visiting this web page daily,
    this web site is really fastidious and the users are really
    sharing fastidious thoughts.

Rachras — August 20, 2013 @ 4:09 am

“upchuck, 8 day old, moldy” Chefs, Beware!