Let’s face it: sometimes we all need a dessert that only makes two servings.

Sometimes we just can’t handle 12 servings.

Sometimes we eat them all by ourselves. Sometimes we eat them all by ourselves in two hours. Sometimes we eat them all by ourselves in a matter of minutes. Sometimes it’s the best thing ever.

FYI: I have no idea what that is like.

Haven’t you always wished you could make just enough dessert for yourself? Or yourself and one other person?

Or… just yourself?

Me too.

But more often than not, I’ve found it to be a hassle to drag out the mixer, cream the sugar and butter, sift the dry ingredients and all that fun stuff for a measly two cupcakes.

What can I say? I’m lazy.

Well, I was lazy. Until I decided to make these cupcakes for two. This is only my second or third cupcake recipe completely from scratch and completely from my own recipe development, and I am so excited with the result.

It is definitely your typical white cake; fluffy and soft, full of vanilla flavor, and the perfect vehicle for some fluffy white frosting.

And it only takes one bowl! Not creaming, no mixer, no folding… just you, a bowl and a spoon. Try not eating some of that batter. Yeah right.

I think what I love most about these cupcakes is their customizability. Mr. How Sweet and I can have different flavors of frosting or even some different fruit, nuts or chocolate chips added in our cupcakes if we’d like. Meaning that I can make mine fun and fancy and he can keep his plain and boring. Nothin’ new there.

[print_this]

One Bowl Vanilla Cupcakes for Two

serves 2

1 egg white

2 tablespoons sugar

2 tablespoons butter, melted

1 teaspoon vanilla (yes, a full teaspoon – they are super vanilla-y!)

1/4 cup flour

1/4 heaping teaspoon of baking powder

pinch of salt

1 1/2 tablespoons milk

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a muffin pan with 2 liners.

In a bowl, add egg white and sugar and whisk until combined. Add in vanilla and melted butter and stir until mixed. Add flour, baking powder and salt and stir until smooth. Stir in milk. Divide batter equally between the 2 cupcake liners.

Bake at 350 for 10-12 minutes, or until cake is set. Let cool completely, then frost as desired. I used some leftover white chocolate frosting.

[/print_this]

I have an inkling that these “easy” cupcakes may be made nightly. Does that defeat the purpose?

710 Responses to “One Bowl Vanilla Cupcakes For Two.”

Holly — March 16, 2011 @ 9:50 am

BEST idea ever for a recipe! I love that you made it just for 2 people!! & I love how you put the cupcake inside of another cupcake wrapper for the picture- you are genius :)

brandi — March 16, 2011 @ 9:50 am

well, this is just trouble waiting to happen :) But I don’t mind it.

Brooke @ bittersweetb — March 16, 2011 @ 9:53 am

Genius! I have been trying to figure out something like this for a long time. Great for portion control for people like me that just can’t seem to help themselves from eating that 3rd..er 4th cupcake.

Kristen@PrettySweet — March 16, 2011 @ 9:55 am

This is an entirely excellent idea! Except I may double it to make four. ;) Seriously, great idea. And now we need some small-yield frosting recipes, too!

• Jessica — March 16th, 2011 @ 9:56 am

I know, I already thought of doubling it too… LOL!

Anne Marie — March 16, 2011 @ 9:59 am

This is pure genius. It reminds me of the chocolate mug cake. Those deadly single servings tend to get made frequently around here…

Heather — March 16, 2011 @ 10:09 am

Thank you for this! I love sweets & hubby could care less so this is perfect for me! And I could switch it up for other flavors too. Rockstar ;)

Leah @ Why Deprive? — March 16, 2011 @ 10:11 am

Best idea ever. I always wind up making a whole recipe and having to force feed my family so I don’t put myself in a sugar coma.

Tracey — March 16, 2011 @ 10:18 am

Great idea! Dangerously good in fact – cupcakes every night! :)

EatLiveRun — March 16, 2011 @ 10:18 am

love! These are adorable!

Fresh and Foodie — March 16, 2011 @ 10:27 am

I LOVE that this recipe is for 2! Now I have an excuse to make cupcakes any time!

Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg — March 16, 2011 @ 10:38 am

Yay for single-serving desserts!!! I shy away from baking often because I know that if I make a batch of 2 dozen somethings, they’ll be gone in about two days!!

laura — March 16, 2011 @ 10:39 am

I love it, but it’s still high in fat with 2 tablespoons of butter, that’s at least 10g fat each, could we reduce the butter or use yogurt?

• Jessica — March 16th, 2011 @ 10:50 am

I definitely don’t consider 10g of fat high for a dessert, but that is just me. I didn’t make these as a “healthy” dessert. I don’t recommend using any subs with the recipes I create as I recipe test numerous times to come up with best version. You are more than welcome to try it though!

• laura — March 16th, 2011 @ 10:59 am

It’s not high if it’s once in a while, but there is also the frosting to count in ;)

Also, why not just bake a whole batch and freeze the rest? It’s just me, but I don’t like using my oven for just two.

• Jessica — March 16th, 2011 @ 11:04 am

I’ve mentioned it before in my blog, but I am not a fan of freezing baked goods. I also don’t really have the room. There are only two of us in our house so I use my oven for “just two” every single day, whether it’s dinner or dessert.

• laura — March 16th, 2011 @ 11:21 am

that’s fine, i’m not judging you, just asking, i have loved reading your blog and this is the first time i’ve commented, you’ve seemed sweet in other replies (that are positive comments), but with my questions your replies seem a bit “snappy” i’m sorry i haven’t had the time to read and already know that you don’t like freezing things, just making a suggestion that’s all…..

• Jessica — March 16th, 2011 @ 11:32 am

I definitely don’t mean to sound snappy at all! I try to respond to as many comments as I can, whether they be positive or negative, and I certainly didn’t think your comment was negative. I encourage all kinds of conversation on my site, including positive and negative feedback as well as suggestions. I apologize if you took offense to my responses!

Briana — March 16, 2011 @ 10:41 am

This is a perfect Idea! Especially because I am normally the one who eats 11 out of the 12 cupcakes when they are made in this house!! Thanks for sharing!!!

Clarissa — March 16, 2011 @ 10:45 am

Great idea!! I always make a whole batch and then they go bad unless I bring ‘em into work or something.

Rachel @ The Avid Appetite — March 16, 2011 @ 10:45 am

This is utterly genius!!!!!!! And dangerous.

Jessi — March 16, 2011 @ 10:49 am

Sigh. You’re killin’ me smalls! These recipes…so amazing…my ass is going to expand. Thank god for your workout section!!!!

• Jessica — March 16th, 2011 @ 10:56 am

LOL! I love The Sandlot reference. I say that all the time!

Ashley — March 16, 2011 @ 10:51 am

Yum! Dangerous, or genius? Probably both! If you start coming out with flavour variations I’m doomed!

A Tablespoon of Liz — March 16, 2011 @ 11:03 am

This is an awesome idea! I can’t count how many times I crave something sweet but don’t feel like making a huge batch of something.

Jenny — March 16, 2011 @ 11:22 am

I want to make ONE!:)

Natalia - a side of simple — March 16, 2011 @ 11:30 am

Portion control? What’s that? ;)

Camille — March 16, 2011 @ 11:36 am

I love the idea of making just enough for 2! Plus, they sounds delicious :)

Mansee — March 16, 2011 @ 11:37 am

Yay, these are perfect for a single girl who can’t control herself around 12 cupcakes (aka ME)!

Sara — March 16, 2011 @ 11:42 am

mmmmmmm Yummy! Look delicious :) I’ll have to whip these up sometime soon.

If I wanted to make them chocolate how much cocoa would I need to add you think?

Sara — March 16, 2011 @ 11:42 am

Oh my goodness, I love this idea! I’m going to make some tonight…and I’m not sharing with my husband. :)

Lee Ann L. — March 16, 2011 @ 11:46 am

Yes! This is perfect as it’s just Dan and I. I’ve bookmarked this post. Thank you!

Jess — March 16, 2011 @ 12:02 pm

i made mini red velvet cupcakes for one a few weeks ago, the portion control was a huge bonus! i’ll have to try these this weekend:)

Kelly — March 16, 2011 @ 12:09 pm

You have the best cupcake decorating skills! I also love the sound of your stuffed crust pizza. I love goat cheese and stuffed crusts and putting them together is genius and elevate something that people might otherwise dismiss.

janetha @ meals and moves — March 16, 2011 @ 12:12 pm

this is too funny. i have the tasty kitchen recipes in my reader, and i scroll through them each morning and star the ones i like. i starred this one–and didn’t realize it was your recipe! then a bit later i come to your blog only to see this post.. you are the best.

Jo @ Jo In the Kitchen — March 16, 2011 @ 12:25 pm

Brilliant! Well done, and I can’t wait to try :)

Joanna@ Drizzle of Sunshine — March 16, 2011 @ 12:29 pm

I love these small type recipes! I’m SO BAD at math so to calulate measurements…well, I’ll leave that to someone smarter than me…like you! :) Thanks!

Do you think you can sub milk for Almond or Soy?

Heather @ Get Healthy With Heather — March 16, 2011 @ 12:31 pm

These could be serious trouble! But the good kind of trouble of course :)

Kristina — March 16, 2011 @ 12:32 pm

Um, AMAZING. I needed a perfect recipe for a white cake to make for my brother, and I am going to use this one. Which means I need to multiply it by EIGHT. which means I will be putting a POUND of butter in it.

Which is, in my opinion, the best way to bake :)

I am also making a white chocolate frosting, (great minds think alike!) and a pistachio cream as a filling.

SUPER excited about this cake, ive been planning it for weeks!
    Thanks for the consistently awesome posts!

Elena — March 16, 2011 @ 12:38 pm

This is perfect! With just me and my husband, I need more “recipes for two” around. I don’t have a lot of self control when it comes to sweets, so I will definitely be trying this recipe soon!

nikki — March 16, 2011 @ 12:40 pm

Ah! BRILLIANT!!.. I love love love making cupcakes, and would do it more often, except that it yeilds so many! I usually try to make them and try new recipies around when I have to go to a party or something, but this is perfect!! :] more flavors please! I am seriously in awe!

Sweet Bella Roos — March 16, 2011 @ 12:47 pm

OMG yes!!!! So many times I find myself looking for something sweet at 11pm when the BF and I sit down to watch a movie or something. I just want one little cupcake but of course no cupcake place is open and I am not about to bake 24 cupcakes. Thank you!!!!! So proud of you for coming up with the recipe too!

Alyssa @ Life of bLyss — March 16, 2011 @ 12:50 pm

feel free to judge me, but on a typical night, I just want one brownie.

so naturally, I pour the powdered mix into a bowl, add some hot water, and dig in with a spoon.

yup.

I’m not ashamed.

• Jessica — March 16th, 2011 @ 5:33 pm

No judgement! ;)

Ashley — March 16, 2011 @ 12:57 pm

Ummm, me thinks I need a photo lesson from you! I LOVE the blue wrapper w/the blue towel. Looks amazing!!!!!!!!!!!

Mackenzie@The Caramel Cookie — March 16, 2011 @ 1:09 pm

I love baking in small batches. It makes me feel better when I end up eating the all of them :).

Amy at TheSceneFromMe — March 16, 2011 @ 1:24 pm

This is the perfect recipe for me! I can make it and eat both since my hubs isn’t really a sweet eater. I love that I can add in whatever additions my heart desires on that day:)

Anne @ Baking Me — March 16, 2011 @ 1:34 pm

What a great idea! I often find myself wanting just a little dessert, one for me and one for my husband. This is perfect :)

Katie — March 16, 2011 @ 1:43 pm

Yesssss. What a brilliant idea! I’m so excited to try these out.

Nikki — March 16, 2011 @ 1:55 pm

This is so perfect because we are just as guilty of inhaling all of the cupcakes at once! Do you put water in the other non-utilized cupcake slots in the pan?

• Jessica — March 16th, 2011 @ 5:32 pm

Nope, I just didn’t add anything. Should I have added water??

• Nikki — March 16th, 2011 @ 8:37 pm

Well, my mom always told me to when there were empty slots… but I’m from the south and women like to make stuff up down here! Lol!

• Jessica — March 16th, 2011 @ 8:50 pm

LOL! Well, good to know.

Summer S. — March 16, 2011 @ 2:17 pm

amazing. period.

Becky J. — March 16, 2011 @ 2:24 pm

I think you should make a red velvet version of these. My husbands birthday is tomorrow, and red velvet is his favorite. And Lord knows we don’t need a whole red velvet cake around here! So, if you could develop that recipe by tomorrow that would be great! Thanks! ha

Brye — March 16, 2011 @ 2:33 pm

I can’t get the link to the frosting to work. Is it just me??

• Jessica — March 16th, 2011 @ 5:31 pm

Just fixed it – sorry about that!

Dorothy @ Crazy for Crust — March 16, 2011 @ 2:41 pm

I love this! Thank you. I’ve been wondering how to do this for awhile!

Angharad — March 16, 2011 @ 2:42 pm

Oh my gosh, this is effing genius! I just died and went to heaven. Making asap!

the domestic fringe — March 16, 2011 @ 3:19 pm

Looks good! Your blog has had me longing for a cupcake since I found it. I really must do some baking.
    -FringeGirl

Ellie@fitforthesoul — March 16, 2011 @ 3:35 pm

I agree~sometimes, small serving amounts are so convenient. This looks so good~I feel like I’ve been having a sweet tooth lately. Yikes. have a great day! :)

Ashley — March 16, 2011 @ 3:38 pm

Wow. This is the most perfect idea in the whole world. Now I can have dessert while watching The Biggest Loser and not feel totally guilty! Thanks!

1. Pingback: Post Valentine’s Day « oh the places you'll go

11. Pingback: Vanilla Cupcakes for Two | Beauty and the Bod

12. Pingback: {Marbled Cupcakes for Four} «

13. Pingback: Cupcake Project « widyarustiawan

14. Pingback: Cupcakes for Two « one thousand bites

15. Pingback: Two for me… « NONE FOR MAVERICK

16. Pingback: Cup Cake 4 2 « Nachgekocht

17. Pingback: Cupcakes for Two and Butter Cream Icing Recipe « gingerworldproblems

18. Pingback: Day 132: Birthday Cupcakes « The Girl Behind the Lens

19. Pingback: Two cupcakes recipe | Sweet new world!!

20. Pingback: Dairy Free Cupcakes with Vegan Frosting | Carrie's Creations

21. Pingback: Mini Cakes From a Can « Peppered Thought – The Spice of Life

22. Pingback: Cupcake for ONE | cupKaykes

23. Pingback: Cupcakes for Two « Kay's Sweet Obsessions

24. Pingback: One Bowl Vanilla Cupcakes for Two « The Best Cupcake Recipes

25. Pingback: Friday Reader Roundup — SoEclectic

26. Pingback: Just One, Please « latte issues

27. Pingback: Hundreds and Thousands White Hot Chocolate Cupcake | cupcakes and showtunes

28. Pingback: Lingering Halloween Celebrations « Second City Randomness…

29. Pingback: One. « One girl. One kitchen.

30. Pingback: On se détend comme on peut – recette de cuisine inside !

31. Pingback: The Return of Bits and Bytes | UBC Food Society

32. Pingback: cupcakes for two | Living Well Kitchen

33. Pingback: “Mom, I’m Bored!”-Making a bored jar | The Heart Overflows

34. Pingback: Cupcakes for 2 (and a Half) « Breakfields

35. Pingback: One Bowl Cupcakes | Barks and Baking

36. Pingback: Vanilla Cupcakes with Lemon Cream Cheese Frosting - Weight Watchers | The Slender Kitchen

37. Pingback: Ostercups und Osterkeks

38. Pingback: Fatty has a sweet tooth! | Tattoosandsippycups's Blog

39. Pingback: Happy Anniversary, Blog! *sniffle* | Learn 2 [use the] Kitchen

40. Pingback: Alex Tries it Out: Inventing Recipes & Torpedo IPA Mini Cupcakes - Alex Tries it Out

41. Pingback: Tuesday Things | {ariffalala}

42. Pingback: Foodie: Glazed Ham and Potato Pancakes with Salad | 2by30

43. Pingback: Vanilla Cupcakes for 2 | Branny Boils Over

44. Pingback: Gebacken: Muffins für zwei | Frau R. und Herr C.

45. Pingback: Cupcakeando » Arquivos » Cupcakes para dois, no Dia das Mães

46. Pingback: Camouflage Cupcakes | The Finished Plate

47. Pingback: Watermelon Cupcakes | The Finished Plate

48. Pingback: TGIF | praysweetchild

49. Pingback: Fluffy Vanilla Cupcakes for Two…and Happy Birthday to Emma’s Baking Addiction! | Emma's Baking Addiction

50. Pingback: Chocolate Cupcakes for Two | Whitney Makes