Late last summer, I made some buffalo chicken burgers that rocked the house.

BBQ Chicken Burgers I howsweeteats.com

They were so delicious that even I, who doesn’t need chicken to survive, loved them. And Mr. How Sweet, who absolutelynomatterwhat needs chicken to survive (fact), who calls himself a chicken connoisseur (even though he really just likes to eat it plain), who would lay in a lifeless lump on the floor and allow me to hand-feed him chicken in his last hours (notjoking), loved them too.

See, Mr. How Sweet is not a foodie.

BBQ Chicken Burgers I howsweeteats.com

In case you haven’t noticed, I sort of am.

Sort of. That may be the understatement of the decade. But it is only 2011, so it’s a little too early to tell.

Mr. How Sweet says that I wasn’t a foodie back when we got married. But I say that indeed I was. Maybe a closeted foodie? A foodie yet to be discovered? When we got hitched, I wasn’t quite the foodie that I am today. I have matured as a foodie. Mr. How Sweet says I lied and tricked him into marrying a foodie.

I take these words with a grain of salt, considering they come from the man who became entranced in a Pajama Jeans commercial last night and said they looked “cool.”  Twice. Because that’s normal.

BBQ Chicken Burgers I howsweeteats.com

Anyway, where was I?

It can be challenging to be a foodie not married to another foodie. It forces me outside of my comfort zone, because instead of just spicing up plain turkey burgers and fried eggs, I have to spice them up, then spice them down. Make sense?

It doesn’t to me either.

BBQ Chicken Burgers I howsweeteats.com

But I have mastered the art of trickery when it comes to delicious food that doesn’t scare those non-foodies away. With a few simple spices that you probably have in your cupboard (and if you don’t have smoked paprika, you must go get it now – quite possibly the best spice ever) and a pound of ground chicken, I made another non-beef, non-turkey burger that we both went crazy for. But if I’m being honest, who wouldn’t go crazy for anything topped with sweet, caramelized onions and a thick, melted slab of gouda cheese?

I love that I’ve grown as a foodie and as a foodie scam artist.

And just so you know, Mr. How Sweet has grown as a foodie himself. Just last week I saw him layer dippy eggs in between pancakes (barf!) and add mustard to his usual ketchup-only burger (snooze!) and well… that is a huge improvement. Trust me.

BBQ Chicken Burgers I howsweeteats.com

BBQ Chicken Burgers

makes 4 burgers

1 pound ground chicken breast

1/4 cup finely grated sharp cheddar cheese

1 teaspoon smoked paprika

1/2 teaspoon onion powder

1/4 teaspoon garlic powder

1/4 teaspoon black pepper

1/4 teaspoon salt

1/4 cup BBQ sauce – use homemade or your favorite!

4 whole wheat buns

1 onion, sliced

1 tablespoon olive oil

BBQ sauce for topping

gouda cheese for topping

In a large bowl, combine chicken, BBQ sauce, paprika, onion and garlic powder, salt, pepper and cheddar cheese. Mix until just combined, then form 4 patties. Preheat the grill or a skillet and cook the burgers until fully cooked through. I used a skillet and cooked mine about 8 minutes per side – they were juicy and not dried out, but cooked thoroughly.

While burgers are cooking, heat a skillet on medium heat and add olive oil. Add sliced onions with a pinch of salt and saute until caramelized, about 10 minutes.

When burgers are ready, top with gouda (or more cheddar), onions, BBQ sauce and fresh romaine. I also toast the buns!

BBQ Chicken Burgers I howsweeteats.com

P.S -> Serve these with sweet potato fries. You won’t hate it.

161 Responses to “BBQ Chicken Burgers.”

Carlyn — July 10, 2011 @ 6:56 pm

I’ve made this recipe twice because I love it so much. However, both times the chicken burgers sunk into the grates of my grill a bit and I ended up losing some of the burger to the flames. I think it may because there’s the addition of the BBQ sauce but no breadcrumbs, maybe? Anyways, I love these guys, so next time I’ll just have to remember to pan-fry or broil them instead of grilling. Do you have any suggestions for keeping the burgers from sinking into the grates? Thanks

• Rachel — February 17th, 2012 @ 7:54 pm

I tried the bread crumbs and it does hold them together better, though I think it made them not as tasty. I am going to stick with the pan fry method .. they turn out fantastic!

• kc — August 26th, 2012 @ 1:31 pm

We make chicken burgers all the time (bc I don’t eat red meat) and we put them in the freezer for a few minutes and they hold together really well! Hope that helps! :) This recipe is on our menu this week. Can’t wait to try them!!

Vivian — September 26, 2011 @ 8:35 am

Place a sheet of aluminum foil…I think it would work!!

Kristen — September 26, 2011 @ 2:28 pm

I too am a foodie with a non foodie! I sooo know what you go through. Chicken, chicken and more chicken! These burgers look amazing, can’t wait to try ‘em!

Justin — November 13, 2011 @ 9:06 pm

StumbledUpon this recipe a few weeks ago and couldn’t get it out of my head. Couldn’t find ground chicken so ended up using ground turkey. It still came out great. My GF and her roommate loved them.

Dave — November 15, 2011 @ 8:54 pm

Bun top looks over-toasted and too dry. Try buttering your buns and toasting them on a flat-top or a griddle pan. In fact, I’d ditch the bland, soft, predictable wheat roll (just like at Islands!(tm)) and explore the world of the ciabatta. Hell, even a nice thick piece of GOOD sourdough would be more appropriate, I think.

Codes for Plndr — December 11, 2011 @ 4:43 pm

Can’t believe I didn’t think of this, even though I’ve tried ostrich burgers before. Are those sweet potatoe fries?

Amanda — January 5, 2012 @ 2:57 pm

I made these last night, and my manfriend and I think they are the best chicken burgers we’ve ever had! I was having trouble working with them because they were a bit sticky, so I added between 1/3 and 1/2 cup of panko bread crumbs. They stiffened up a bit for easier handling and they were still juicy and tender after cooking! Thank you!

Rachel — January 11, 2012 @ 8:35 pm

OMG these were so good! I pan cooked mine with just some olive oil cooking spray on the bottom of the pan. I didnt have the cheese called for but pepper jack worked just great! I couldnt see being able to grill unless foil was used since they are pretty sticky at first. Definately am going to make again! Thanks for the post!

Tazeen — January 14, 2012 @ 4:58 pm

I made a slight variation of these the other day! Thank you so much for this recipe, they were AMAZING!

bobby onodugo — January 19, 2012 @ 10:50 am

I tried the recipe and it was awesome and it had a very great taste and it was the best I had ever eaten

Justin — May 8, 2012 @ 6:59 pm

Tried this with different spices and without the cheese or barbecue inside and they were delicious. Definitely a new take on the burger.

Sonia — June 27, 2012 @ 9:14 pm

These are the best chicken burgers I have ever made. My family loves them! Thanks!

M.Bailey — August 30, 2012 @ 9:55 pm

I have made this recipe three times since I came across it in earlly July.
    The smoke paprika is expensive but worth it. I added italian breadcrumbs and dash of liquid smoke. DELISH

Thanks for the recipe

carla — September 13, 2012 @ 7:23 pm

Wich is the accompanion of these burgers? are those sweet potatoes?

Alyssa B. — October 14, 2012 @ 6:10 pm

Very good recipe! I tried it for a football Sunday appetizer and I baked the patties at 400 for 10 minutes and they turned out very good!

Courtney — November 2, 2012 @ 8:17 am

These were delicious. I was so excited to find this recipe. Over the weekend, I was at Beerworks and had a grilled chicken sandwich with BBQ sauce and smoked gouda. I knew I had to incorporate that idea into dinner at some point. Love the chicken burger idea. My only issue was that I used Bone Suckin Sauce, and I think it was too thin a sauce to be incorporated into the chicken mixture, so two of the burgers fell apart. Next time I would either use a thicker sauce, omit from the mixture entirely (and just use as a topping), or maybe throw in some panko breadcrumbs. But you know, we’re not picky here, so whether the burger is one piece as a burger should be, or like in 5 pieces, it gets eaten anyway. Point being, they were wonderful. Gouda is just not on enough things, in my opinion. Oh btw my boyfriend is a freak and doesn’t like gouda (wth, right?), so I put cheddar on his. He was pleased.

Dale — January 18, 2013 @ 7:23 pm

We are trying to eat healthier foods and we have been having a hard time finding something that is healthy and taste good. When I stumbled upon this recipe it sounded so good we had to try it…and to our amazement it was great..loved the flavor and the onions we will make this again.. Looking forward to trying some of the other ones..

M Jazeel — March 16, 2013 @ 7:58 am

Wonderful recipe, i just now tried this, and the taste was amazing.. i don’t have words to describe it at all… thanks thanks :)

Dubturbo Download — April 26, 2013 @ 6:56 am

Haha This is crazy, My lips are watering.. I like barbecue very much, I hope to make it in my garden :D Dubturbo Download

Tina — May 16, 2013 @ 2:11 pm

These are sooo good! I’ve made these in burger form quite a few times but just recently I didn’t form them into patties and just sorta cooked everything together in the skillet an ate them over mashed potatos. AMAZING. Trying them over rice next!

mrsblocko — March 16, 2014 @ 5:54 pm

I made this burger and the sweet potato fries and wrote about it here. Wow! This dinner turned out amazing! Thank you so much for sharing the recipe.

Tracy — April 6, 2014 @ 6:17 pm

Found this while looking for burger recipes since beef is so expensive. Great flavor. Will definitely be making these again.

1. Pingback: Monday. | How Sweet It Is

2. Pingback: Calories Blog » Blog Archive » Cranberry Bulgur Wheat Pilaf, a. k. a. Bulgur Wheat is the Best

3. Pingback: BBQ Chicken Burgers MMMMMMMMMMM « Anywhere I go you go

4. Pingback: Things I Can Do One-Handed Part II

5. Pingback: 7 Quick Takes Friday – Volume 3 | Forgot the Flour

6. Pingback: things change! « cupcakedynamite

7. Pingback: Web Deliciousness: Burgers! | The Pioneer Woman Cooks | Ree Drummond

8. Pingback: From the Kitchen « Rocket Poo Baby Grins

9. Pingback: Different Twist on a Burger « Beaumont Parenting Program

10. Pingback: Homemade chicken burgers Mmm - - Network Panda – cPanel Web hosting, PHP, MySQL, unlimited disk space and bandwidth

11. Pingback: » Views from the Weekend Life Love and Waffles