I have very important news.

I bought some bread.  It was not whole wheat. It was delicious. And fluffy.  Soft and pillow-like too.

Then I invested in some cheese. Not just any kind of cheese. Mascarpone cheese. Which I can never spell. Or say.

And for the shocking finale, I picked up some butter. Sweet cream butter.

Butter.

It’s what I walked into the kitchen some 20 years ago and found my brother eating, fingerful by fingerful, perched on the kitchen table.

True story.

It’s what I live and breathe by.

[I say that like you haven’t noticed. ]

And it’s also what this French toast took a bath in last week.

Now that is a bath I’d like to have.

You probably weren’t expecting such a decadent breakfast on a Monday morning. You probably weren’t expecting to have to change your breakfast plans rightthisminute and make a pit stop at the store so you could make this morning treat. Today. Today, I tell you. It is a must.

It’s just your basic build-it-yourself French toast. It’s easy. No rules. No fancy stuff. Soak, fry, spread, fork. In that order.

No excuses.

1/2 tablespoon cocoa powder

1/2 tablespoon sugar

1 tablespoon honey

4 tablespoons butter

maple syrup for serving

sliced strawberries for serving

Sliced one loaf of challah bread into 1-inch thick slices. In a large baking dish, combine eggs, cream, vanilla extract, sugar, cinnamon and 1/2 tablespoon instant coffee powder and whisk together. Lay bread in dish and let soak in the egg mixture for about 30 seconds each side.

Heat a skillet on medium heat and add 1 tablespoon of butter. Add french toast and fry until golden brown. Flip (adding more butter if needed, use your judgement) and fry on other side. Repeat with remaining slices of bread and tablespoons of butter.

Mix mascarpone cheese with honey and remaining coffee powder and spread on french toast slices while warm. Sprinkle with cocoa powder and serve with syrup and strawberries.

I have an inkling that tonight Mr. How Sweet is going to sit down and attempt to educate me on why cheese is not an investment. I will not listen. Nor will I agree.

[P.S. You can get some of my better-than-crack brownies here for a good cause!]

176 Responses to “Tiramisu French Toast.”

Lauren — April 12, 2011 @ 8:45 am

I used to eat butter by the finger-fulls when I was younger…guess that’s my inner-Paula Dean. Love this recipe by the way, I’m always looking for new ways to jazz up French toast, though I don’t really think it needs it! Have a peaceful day.

Holly — April 12, 2011 @ 11:32 am

My Mom’s favorite dessert is tiramisu..and I’m TOTALLY bribing her with this recipe to come down to visit me :D

kate — April 12, 2011 @ 1:22 pm

these actually look like the best thing i’ve ever seen in my life. um, tiramisu for breakfast? yes please.

thank you for continuing to bring joy to my day. and delicious eats to my future.

Maranda — April 12, 2011 @ 2:52 pm

This is pretty much the most amazing thing ever. The best dessert and the best breakfast all in one. Genius!

Angie@Angiesrecipes — April 12, 2011 @ 3:31 pm

I enjoy your true story ;-)) and it looks truly delish too. I would say it’s a dream breakfast.

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) — April 12, 2011 @ 10:10 pm

Holy sh*t.

Those look so good, profanity is necessary.

Linn — April 13, 2011 @ 4:21 am

yummy!!!

Samantha Ullrich — April 13, 2011 @ 9:55 am

I’m SO happy I came across this post just in time for the boyfriend’s birthday. I know exactly what I’ll be making him that morning and I know he’ll love this! Thanks for the beautiful post!

lisa {smartfoodandfit) — April 13, 2011 @ 10:48 am

Looks amazing, so creative. I’ll have to try this one!

Jennifer — April 14, 2011 @ 1:03 pm

These look amazing. I love tiramisu and I love French Toast, so I’m sure I’m going to love this. Sounds soooooo yummy and that marscapone looks good enough to eat by itself.

Angel @ | 77inspire | — April 14, 2011 @ 4:39 pm

Omg. I just discovered your blog and i must say… it makes me super hungry. Tiramisu french toast??? Genius!

megan — April 15, 2011 @ 8:00 am

I can die a happy woman…these rock!!!!!!

Tricia — April 15, 2011 @ 9:35 am

Are you SUREEE you are married? I have my brother addicted to your blog and after this recipe he sent me an email this morning saying “That’s it, I’m taking out Mr. How Sweet”
    :-)

megan — April 16, 2011 @ 3:07 pm

Pure decadent. I luv it!

Jason — April 16, 2011 @ 5:51 pm

Looks bueno! I must say.

Becki Sue — April 17, 2011 @ 12:19 pm

Made this for brunch today with homemade sourdough bread. A perfect way to use up the half container of mascorpone cheese in the fridge! Absolutely decandent and delicious. Applewood smoked bacon on the side. Thank you for inspiring all my indulgences!!

Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction — April 21, 2011 @ 3:07 pm

Wow… Love this!

chelon — May 9, 2011 @ 10:05 am

my husband made this for me yesterday morning for mother’s day. best. breakfast. ever. i think i teared up with emotion it was so good. thank you jessica. i heart you for this recipe and many others. but mostly this one.

Caitlin — June 18, 2011 @ 2:37 pm

Made it this morning… forgot to pick up cocoa powder but it was amazing regardless! Hubby practically inhaled it. I will be making this again for sure!

darkscot — June 29, 2011 @ 12:18 pm

You Americans really eat some shit! no wonder you all look like blimps!

• Jessica — June 29th, 2011 @ 5:59 pm

Aren’t you a sweetie?

megan — October 26, 2011 @ 9:02 pm

ew to that last comment left on your blog. just because we’re home of the free (to eat whatever we want) and have the resources to flush our toilets frequently, auto start our cars, and smother french toast in whatever we please… don’t hate.

Jamie — December 24, 2011 @ 10:02 am

Christmas Eve breakfast of champions??? I do believe so!

Kelly — February 16, 2012 @ 11:59 pm

Oh my…I am so making this for my sons birthday brunch! Thank you so much!

Gianni — February 29, 2012 @ 10:19 pm

We found my brother peeling the paper off a stick of butter and eating it like a banana when he was quite young. Won’t touch butter now! I, however, am a fan and can’t wait to try this recipe!

Kathy — March 23, 2012 @ 2:39 pm

Made this and it turned out marvelous! Will definitely make this again!

Rachel — August 19, 2012 @ 4:08 pm

Remember how I told you that I love you? Friend, you are my new BFF. Tiramisu is my wicked indulgence. Nholy Moses. I think I teared up reading this.

O. Em. Gee

Are you single???? LOL LOL LOL.

Tara — January 31, 2013 @ 1:29 pm

I just died. How have I missed this recipe?! Seriously, I’m contemplating nixing the quinoa for dinner tonight and going with this instead. Gah!

Peter — May 17, 2013 @ 9:16 pm

you killing us with this but it is so awesome. Are you Italian Jessica?

Nikki — November 3, 2013 @ 2:55 am

I’m on it! Tiramisu French Toast for today’s breakfast… FIngers crossed! Looks heavenly!

1. Pingback: French Paper Expects Rolling Heads At Renault As Board Convenes - Car News

2. Pingback: Chocolate Socca Pancakes & a Smile « Fitforthesoul's Blog

14. Pingback: tiramisu french toast « Ambs Loves Food

15. Pingback: Tame the Beast | JolynnToma.com – Blog

16. Pingback: (38) Tiramisu French Toast « 52 Foods

17. Pingback: Wednesday Gourmet: Coffee French Toast | Tommy and Ella

18. Pingback: National French Toast Day…Who Knew! | My Life as Robin's Wife

19. Pingback: National French Toast Day Desserts – Best Friends For Frosting

20. Pingback: Le Partie Sugar » Blog Archive » {Inspiration Board} :: Mother’s Day Ideas

21. Pingback: Tiramisu French Toast | Breakfast Recipe