Waffles are totally underrated.

They get a bad rap as pancakes’ not-quite-as-fluffy and not-quite-as-simple ugly cousin, with nooks and crannies just deep enough that the glob of butter won’t melt and a front left quarter that frequently hogs all the syrup.

I mean, really. Waffle irons are kind of a pain. As if I don’t have enough pots, pants, mixers, bowls, lids, quesadilla makers, toasters, platters and other necessary items that I use twice a year, you’re telling me that I need to find a uniquely shaped space, somewhere between my cupcake-shaped cake pan and my never used must-have All Clad asparagus pot, for a 13-pound waffle maker that I might drag out on occasion?

Yes. I am. If only to make these waffles. Go buy one. I’ll take the blame. I listen well. Just try me. You can scream and yell and holler all you want at your screen and I will just… sit here and listen.

I would’ve been positively devastated if I didn’t get that asparagus pot, by the way.

Pancakes were much more accessible and commonplace when I was younger, so when it came time to register for wedding gifts, I was over the moon to spy a waffle iron and add it to the list. I once spent an entire summer burning the skin off each of my fingertips making waffle cones at Bruster’s, but it was totally worth it given the french vanilla aroma that I went to bed smelling of every night. And the banana cream pie ice cream that I used to eat by the bucketful. Back-to-school shopping was a blast that year.

Not only did I envision lots of waffle making, but I had grand plans to make waffle cones and maybe even cheese-soaked sandwiches and whatever else you could use a waffle maker for. Which is basically nothing.

Which is what I’ve used the waffle maker for. Nothing. I’ve made nothing about six times.

When I came across a dying pint of blackberries in our fridge, I decided it was high time to break out the iron. I don’t even know why I buy blackberries. I hate the seeds in my teeth. Seeds in my teeth make me lose.my.mind.

FYI: These waffles aren’t terrible for you. It’s not like I threw together flour and sugar with reckless abandon and dumped a gallon of Haagen Dazs atop. So you can drop the raised eyebrows. Sure, there is something creamy and vanilla beany on top, buuuut who doesn’t eat ice cream on their waffles? Not me.

Blackberry Cobbler Waffles

serves about 4

1 1/2 cups flour (I used whole wheat pastry, all-purpose is fine too!)

1/3 cup rolled oats

2 teaspoons baking powder

1/3 cup brown sugar

1/4 teaspoon salt

1 teaspoon cinnamon

2 eggs

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

1 1/3 cups milk

1/4 cup butter, melted

2 pints fresh blackberries

vanilla ice cream + maple syrup for serving

Preheat your waffle iron and spray it with non-stick spray. (I also sprayed mine before each waffle)

In a bowl, combine flour, oats, baking powder, sugar, salt and cinnamon. Stir in eggs, milk, vanilla and butter, mixing until combined and smooth. Fold in about 1 cup of blackberries. Make waffles per your iron’s directions.

Heat the remaining berries in a saucepan over low heat and mash with a fork until saucy. Serve waffles with warm mashed berries, syrup and vanilla ice cream.

Oh yeah… the title? They totally taste like cobbler. And that’s coming from someone who shoveled in three bowls of cobbler Sunday afternoon. I can’t tell a lie.

136 Responses to “Blackberry Cobbler Waffles.”

becky — May 14, 2011 @ 1:44 am

aaaaand i am drooling over my macbook at 12:44am…..gee thanks *tummy grumble*

John — July 20, 2011 @ 10:35 am

Stunning scoop. I like the way you write . I just bookmarked your page and Ill make sure to drop in regularly.

Feel free to write me if you have some choice tips on this topic. I’d like to hear from you,

best regards
    hari

Kim — August 8, 2011 @ 9:47 pm

Seriously??!!! I just finished dinner and I am actually tempted to go make this…right…now….just sayin’. Totally bookmarked this page! Thank you for sharing!!!!!!

Erin — March 23, 2012 @ 8:33 pm

Hi there! I saw this recipe on Pinterest and knew I had to make it for my family this weekend! While at the store this afternoon, I just saw Whole Wheat All Purpose flour, not Pastry flour. Is there a difference? If so, would the Whole Wheat All Purpose work or does it need to be Pastry flour?
    Thank you so much! And thanks for the great looking recipe! I can’t wait to look at the rest of your yummy creations!! Have a great day!

Thanks a lot for sharing this with all folks you really understand what you are speaking approximately! Bookmarked. Kindly additionally talk over with my site =). We will have a link exchange contract between us

Savannah — September 9, 2013 @ 8:39 pm

My mouth is watering looking at this recipe. I found it through tasty kitchen and I hope you are willing to share it in the waffle/pancake link up that I am hosting. Here is the direct url – http://hammocktracks.com/savannahs-savory-bites/chocolate-gingerbread-waffles/

New Gagets — September 17, 2013 @ 3:56 pm

great issues altogether, you just won a emblem new reader.

What could you suggest about your publish that you simply
    made some days in the past? Any sure?

1. Pingback: eat what you want. « meals & moves

2. Pingback: Chocolate Chip Waffles « The Hoot Eats

3. Pingback: Steph's Bite by Bite » Blog Archive » A Birthday Feast

4. Pingback: 70 Recipes for the 4th of July | How Sweet It Is

5. Pingback: 70 Recipes for the 4th of July | How Sweet It Is – recipes

6. Pingback: Blackberry Spelt Bread – Reluctant Entertainer - Lifestyle, Entertaining, Food, Recipes, Hospitality and Gardening by Sandy Coughlin

7. Pingback: Mouth Watering Monday: 20 Breakfast in Bed Ideas for your Sweetheart | My Blog

8. Pingback: Berry Cobbler Waffles | Better with Cake

9. Pingback: Mouth Watering Monday: 20 Breakfast in Bed Ideas for your Sweetheart

10. Pingback: Brown Butter Banana Waffles | Banana Waffle Recipe | Two Peas & Their Pod

11. Pingback: Around the Web: National Waffle Day | SocialCafe Magazine