I’ve never been one to turn down a margarita.

Crispy Margarita Chicken Tacos with Strawberry Avocado Salsa I howsweeteats.com

The coarsely salted rim… the icy tartness… the bright lime paired with tangy tequila. I’m strictly an “on the rocks” kind of girl, but if my only option was a frosty, frozen drink, I wouldn’t hesitate to put it in my face.  Extra salt please.

Crispy Margarita Chicken Tacos with Strawberry Avocado Salsa I howsweeteats.com

My fascination with margaritas began at a young age, but before you feel the need to enlist a help team for my transport to AA, you should know that the relationship was strictly platonic until my later years. It happened long after the days of writing notes to my 7th grade BFF, notes neatly folded into that pocket square signed “LYLAS,” and summer afternoons playing 16 games of MASH in a row just so I could get the correct combination of husband, mansion and quantity of kids for my future. I mean, there was no way I was living in a shack in Alaska with my 4th spousal choice. Please.

If I could go back in time and tell my 12-year old self about how slim the chances are that I’ll marry my current crush of 4 years and live in a mansion in the Bahamas, I’d be a heck of a lot richer. Retail therapy is expensive.

Crispy Margarita Chicken Tacos with Strawberry Avocado Salsa I howsweeteats.com

It was around that time that I found margaritas to be glamorous – sandy beaches, bikinis, summer love and beverages with umbrellas are things that any young girl dreams of. Especially a plump one with skin the color of pink milk. I waited for what seemed like forever just to order my own margarita, and I’ve never really looked back.

So, I’m giving you a heads up. These tacos are addicting. New favorite dinner right here. I know, I know – I say that every time. Just let me be, okay? I might like them more than the crispy shrimp tacos. I might eat my weight in margarita chicken tacos for the rest of my life. I might have a margarita every day this week. I might write a blog post drunk. I might force you to drink a margarita with me while eating these tacos. It’s simply necessary. Are you in?

Crispy Margarita Chicken Tacos with Strawberry Avocado Salsa I howsweeteats.com

Crispy Margarita Chicken Tacos with Strawberry Avocado Salsa

serves 3-4

4 chicken breasts

8 4-inch tortillas (corn, whole wheat, flour)

3 cups panko bread crumbs

1 medium tomato, chopped

1/4 red onion, chopped

4 large strawberries, chopped

juice of half a lime

1/8 teaspoon salt

1/8 teaspoon pepper

toppings: shredded lettuce, freshly grated monterey jack cheese, cilantro, lime wedges

2-24 hours before making the tacos, combine the marinade ingredients in a baking dish. Tenderize chicken, season it with salt and pepper, then slice it into strips lengthwise. Add the chicken to the dish and let marinate in the fridge until ready to make.

Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. Combine panko, flour, lime zest and coriander in a bowl. Lay a wire rack on a baking sheet and spray with non-stick spray. Remove chicken from marinade and coat strips in panko mixture, pressing so crumbs adhere. Let them on the baking sheet then give them a quick spray of non-stick spray or olive oil. Bake for 10 minutes, flip, then bake 10 more.

While chicken is cooking, combine avocado, tomato, strawberries and onion. Mix with salt, pepper and lime juice.

Heat tortillas if desired, then serve with crisp chicken, salsa, and toppings. Spritz with lime wedges.

Crispy Margarita Chicken Tacos with Strawberry Avocado Salsa I howsweeteats.com

Are margaritas good for breakfast? I’ll let you know.

158 Responses to “Crispy Margarita Chicken Tacos with Strawberry Avocado Salsa.”

The Teenage Taste — May 3, 2011 @ 7:04 am

That strawberry mango salsa is making me curious. It sounds like an odd combination, but it’s probably amazing, like all the food you make. ;-)

Matt @ The Athlete's Plate — May 3, 2011 @ 7:05 am

This looks freaking delicious.

Vicky @ Recipe Adaptors — May 3, 2011 @ 7:07 am

I recently made Nigella Lawson’s Margarita Ice Cream – you should try that with your tacos!

• Jessica — May 3rd, 2011 @ 7:27 am

That sounds like my dream ice cream.

Joianne — May 3, 2011 @ 7:11 am

I want one…. Now…. Do you think it’s wrong to have this as a late breakfast? With the margarita I mean…

• Jessica — May 3rd, 2011 @ 7:27 am

Never!

VeggieGirl — May 3, 2011 @ 7:11 am

I’ve still never had a margarita before… maybe I can change that with these tacos :D

• Jessica — May 3rd, 2011 @ 7:27 am

You NEED to change that!!

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey — May 3, 2011 @ 7:18 am

Oh margaritas. I too share a love for them. In fact, for my 21st birthday, the bar we went to has this insanely huge fishbowl glass and the birthday person gets to fill it with their drink of choice for free. I chose a margarita. It was insane.

• Jessica — May 3rd, 2011 @ 7:27 am

Sounds like my kind of birthday!

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) — May 3, 2011 @ 7:24 am

“Are margaritas good for breakfast? “–
    YES!! When you’re on spring break or vacation, they are perfectly acceptable :)

Love this recipe! and I love margaritas, too

I posted a few hours ago about guacamole. As an aside, I cannot for the life of me figure out how to get my images from lightroom properly sized for TS or FG when they are vertical. horizontal, fine. It’s my pet project from hell. I need a margarita!

Estela @ Weekly Bite — May 3, 2011 @ 7:24 am

Margaritas are by absolute favorite drink in the world! If there’s anything I miss about not being pregnant, Its imbibing is those tangy, salt laced, tequila infused beverages…

p.s. those tacos look amazing :)

Blond Duck — May 3, 2011 @ 7:30 am

Writing contest at the Pond! Bring these tacos with you!

Holly @ The Runny Egg — May 3, 2011 @ 7:33 am

These look delicious — and I love thinking about playing MASH when I was younger. What a hilarious game!

Heather (Heather's Dish) — May 3, 2011 @ 7:36 am

i remember the days of MASH and making sure that you put the right hubby choices and number of kids even spaced apart…of just making sure that you didn’t pick anything that could be THAT bad. not that i did that or anything…

Victoria (District Chocoholic) — May 3, 2011 @ 7:39 am

Why have I never thought of strawberry salsa before? Oh, right, because I’m not a culinary genius like you.

Alicia at AliGirl Cooks — May 3, 2011 @ 7:51 am

Margaritas are acceptable at any time of the day! I can’t smell a lime without thinking “boy I could use a margarita”. (I’m realizing that sounds a bit problematic)

I made some awesome margarita fish tacos earlier this year. I think I’ll need to add margarita chicken tacos to my list!

Lindsay @ Pinch of Yum — May 3, 2011 @ 7:54 am

MASH – yess!! The ultimate future-predictor.

Lauren @ Healthy Food For Living — May 3, 2011 @ 7:54 am

These tacos look fantastic! I especially love the addition of strawberries in the salsa.

I remember thinking – as a little girl – that scotch must taste delicious. Probably because I connected it to butterscotch. I had it in my head that scotch must taste like the sweet candy… once I tasted it I changed my tune pretty quickly ;).

Margaritas, however, I love!

• Jessica — May 3rd, 2011 @ 9:12 am

Hahahaha now that is priceless.

Lauren at Keep It Sweet — May 3, 2011 @ 8:00 am

I love that strawberry avocado salsa! I’d eat that on anything.

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat — May 3, 2011 @ 8:04 am

Margarita chicken? Sounds like the perfect meal to appease your love for margaritas and Mr How Sweet’s passion for meat!! I’m a big fan of both too, so I’m pretty sure these would be amazing!

Erica — May 3, 2011 @ 8:06 am

Strawberry avocado salsa? I’ll take a large bowl please. These look fantastic- such a fun cinco de mayo recipe. I’m all for Mexican food- I could eat it every night and never complain

• Jessica — May 3rd, 2011 @ 9:12 am

Me too. Love it.

Jen @ keepitsimplefoods — May 3, 2011 @ 8:07 am

Margaritas are totally acceptable for breakfast, so long as there’s a splash of OJ involved. ;) Love this recipe! Since I don’t eat chicken, I may try to make a shrimp version of this! YUM!

• Jessica — May 3rd, 2011 @ 9:11 am

I think shrimp would be perfect in these!

Cara — May 3, 2011 @ 8:08 am

Oh boy I remember the days of MASH! We would spend hours trying to get the right combination. So much fun.

Those tacos look great and I can’t wait to try the salsa!

Due to all the rave on here about margaritas I guess I should order one sometime, I’m clearly missing out!

• Jessica — May 3rd, 2011 @ 9:11 am

Um, yes you should!

Liv @ The Salty n' Sweet — May 3, 2011 @ 8:08 am

I’ve never had a margarita … yet. Just need to wait 2 more years before I can order one. I don’t think our homemade concoctions can cut it ;)

OMG MASH! I loved that game! Many car rides were passed playing it.

Mmm avocados and strawberries sound amazing :)

• Jessica — May 3rd, 2011 @ 9:11 am

2 years… eeeek!

Emma Aubry (La Vie en Ginger) — May 3, 2011 @ 8:09 am

Oh my Goddddd these look INCREDIBLE but I’m a vegetarian! Any thoughts on what might be a good replacement for the chicken? I do eat fish, but not sure how the flavors would pair. Regardless: GOOD JOB. Drooling.

• Jessica — May 3rd, 2011 @ 9:10 am

Do you eat shrimp? I made these shrimp tacos before and I think you could swap the chicken for shrimp: http://www.howsweeteats.com/2011/03/crispy-shrimp-tacos/

Or maybe you could even do something crispy tofu? I’ve never made tofu though so I’m not quite sure how to do that!

• Emma Aubry (La Vie en Ginger) — May 3rd, 2011 @ 11:40 am

Oh duh. Margarita shrimp sounds delicious. Can’t wait to bust these out for Cinco de Mayo!

Sarah — May 3, 2011 @ 8:34 am

Is it bad that I am craving tequila, tacos, and margaritas and it is before 8 am?

• Jessica — May 3rd, 2011 @ 9:09 am

Bad?? It’s AWESOME.

Kim in MD — May 3, 2011 @ 8:40 am

Oh my gosh…that is the most gorgeous taco I have ever seen! :-)

Nicole, RD — May 3, 2011 @ 8:40 am

I’m so glad I’m having Mexican tonight…you just struck up some major cravings! Looks wonderful!

Claire @ Live and Love to Eat — May 3, 2011 @ 9:10 am

These are absolutely gorgous – I might have to try them with fish!

How is it that you always bring up things that I’ve forgotten for so many years and then laugh at loud thinking about again? Reading your blog makes me want to cook, eat, and call my best friend from gradeschool. Such a talent! ;)

Alison (Fueling for Fitness) — May 3, 2011 @ 9:11 am

I’m not entirely sure that salsa would make it into the tacos because it might be gone by the time the chicken is ready. This looks fantastic!

Kelly — May 3, 2011 @ 9:19 am

Hell to the yes!! I want these now!!! haha!!!

Emily @ A Cambridge Story — May 3, 2011 @ 9:23 am

I love using tequila in marinades! In fact , I just ate cajun drunken shrimp last week! http://bit.ly/gyWice

brandi — May 3, 2011 @ 9:42 am

chicken + lime + tequila is always a good idea. it’s so delicious in that marinade!

I can’t wait to break out the grill soon.

jenna — May 3, 2011 @ 9:45 am

what a perfect taco! :)

Elizabeth@The Sweet Life — May 3, 2011 @ 9:48 am

What gorgeous looking party food! Perfect for a spring-time backyard gathering!

Heather of Kitchen Concoctions — May 3, 2011 @ 9:56 am

These look and sound fabulous! I know what I’ll be serving on Thursday for Cinco de Mayo! : )

PS
    I am really LOL because I so felt that way too when I was in the 6th grade and played that silly game!

dani — May 3, 2011 @ 10:02 am

Looks sooo friggin good

Liz @ Blog is the New Black — May 3, 2011 @ 10:03 am

Yum!

megan — May 3, 2011 @ 10:04 am

Those tacos and that salsa sound to die for. A must try!

Jihane @Sinful Sundays — May 3, 2011 @ 10:04 am

So I read this post at work and my co-workers and I immediately started playing MASH. After 2 games I ended up in a shack both times, lol. Sigh.

That salsa with the strawberries and avocado—YUM! I could just eat that alone.

• Jessica — May 3rd, 2011 @ 10:10 am

That darn shack…

Lori @ RecipeGirl — May 3, 2011 @ 10:09 am

These look freakin’ amazing. Margarita-worthy :)

Shanna, Like Banana — May 3, 2011 @ 10:10 am

This looks faboosh for cinco de mayo! Nice!

Naomi — May 3, 2011 @ 10:13 am

YUMMMMMYYY perfect summer recipe….margarita with salt on the rocks..please!

Jenny @ Fitness Health and Food — May 3, 2011 @ 10:14 am

Margaritas are my drink of choice as well.

I can’t drink at the moment and as the warm weather returns all I want is an icy cold one. On the rocks, no salt for me ;)

Looks delish! :)

Jenna Caring — May 3, 2011 @ 10:16 am

OH MY GOODNESS!!!!!!! M.A.S.H popped into my head a months ago, but I couldn’t remember it’s name. It’s been driving me crazy. Thank you for ending the insanity with this post…the second I saw those four capped letters, it was almost as if I heard choir bells…”THAT’S it!!”

Tina @ Faith Fitness Fun — May 3, 2011 @ 10:27 am

I think a drunk blog post would be quite interesting to read. And what better way to get there than with some margaritas? I’m officially craving one now! Good thing we have plans for Mexican this weekend. :D

Feast on the Cheap — May 3, 2011 @ 10:28 am

Oh yes. I HAVE to make these

Ashley — May 3, 2011 @ 10:34 am

Okay no cringing…but I bet this would be fabulous with tofu. :)

Erin — May 3, 2011 @ 10:37 am

I have to say, that is one beautiful meal.

In other news, I am buying a big hat today yippee!!

Cookbook Queen — May 3, 2011 @ 10:48 am

These sound amazing!! Perfect flavor for Cinco de Mayo.

I am currently obsessed with Skinnygirl Margaritas. I even ditched my wine in favor of it. Its so good and low calorie. :)

Maggie — May 3, 2011 @ 11:05 am
    Joanna@ Drizzle of Sunshine — May 3, 2011 @ 11:08 am

I have issues mixing savory with strawberries. I don’t know why. These look good and I must give in to try the strawberry salsa!! You should’ve made a strawberry margarita on the side!

Kelly — May 3, 2011 @ 11:21 am

Yum. These days I am loving strawberries in savory combos and the lighting in your pictures = gorgeous. Nice job dear.

1 2 3

1. Pingback: Strawberry Mustard Crusted Tofu with Balsamic Strawberries

2. Pingback: Bears Over Radio | Sugar Coated Sisters

3. Pingback: California Summer Salsa | Sugar Coated Sisters

4. Pingback: Fresh Margarita Chicken Tacos – Sprinkle Joy.

5. Pingback: Let’s Make Tacos! « life in green

6. Pingback: Healthy Thai Beef Tacos | How Sweet It Is

7. Pingback: Crispy Margarita Tofu Tacos with Strawberry Avocado Salsa «

8. Pingback: Cinco de Mayo Treats

9. Pingback: Mocha Coconut Iced Coffee, Vitamix style « A Freckle in Time

10. Pingback: Coconut Lime Chicken Tacos With Mango Strawberry Salsamole « A Freckle in Time

11. Pingback: Utilize word of mouth signing up to reduce your staff