I sort of have a relationship with margaritas.

I’m sort of in love with them.

I’m sort of a huge snob about them.

I’m sort of positive that the only ingredients you need are tequila, grand marnier, lime juice and homemade simple syrup. Nothing else.

I’m sort of still hungover. Good sign.

Margaritas

a single serving

2 ounces Grand Marnier

1 1/2 ounces Tequila

2 ounces lime juice

1 1/2 ounces simple syrup

orange + lemon + lime slices for garnish

salt for the rim

Rim the ridge of your glass with a lime wedge and dip in margarita salt. Fill the glass with ice. In a cocktail shaker, combine tequila, grand marnier, simple syrup and lime juice with ice, and shake for about 30 seconds. Pour over ice and squeeze in lemon, lime and orange slices.

For simple syrup: combine equal parts sugar and water, bring to a boil and let sugar dissolve, then turn off heat and let cool completely.

This recipe can be easily doubled, quadrupled, etc. Since everyone’s tastes differ, add simple syrup 1/4 cup at a time and go from taste. I also suggest buying the lime juice if you plan on making a pitcher (or 2) considering you’d have to squeeze a billion limes to get enough juice.

I’m sort of convinced you don’t need much convincing. Make them.

97 Responses to “Margaritas on the Rocks.”

Erin — May 15, 2011 @ 6:48 pm

We had margaritas last night. They were not as pretty as yours, but still fresh, simple and yummy. Oh, and we had mojitos too. Cheers!

Jenny — May 15, 2011 @ 8:10 pm

Beautiful photos!! Makes me want summer to come faster! That pitcher is so cool! I think whoever gave that to you for your wedding has good taste!

Cookbook Queen — May 15, 2011 @ 9:11 pm

LOVE me some Margarita. I have been drinking Skinnygirl, and although it probably isn’t nearly as good as yours, it’s low calorie and pretty good.

I will have to try your recipe next time instead!!

Isabel — May 15, 2011 @ 9:16 pm

Try Agave Nectar!! I work at a tequila bar that had over 120 bottles of tequila (!!) and they made the most to-die-for margaritas with agave instead of sugar, and Milagro Silver Tequila. Amazing!

Taryn — May 15, 2011 @ 10:12 pm

…can I come live with you?

PS. The Buffalo Mac was a big hit! DELICIOUS.

Melissa @ Journey to Marvelous — May 15, 2011 @ 10:55 pm

Those are definitely the prettiest margaritas I’ve seen in a while! I love the touch of the three citrus slices.

Kacy — May 16, 2011 @ 10:33 am

Coolest pitcher ever! I love margs!!

bridget {bake at 350} — May 16, 2011 @ 2:25 pm

Mmm….is it Friday, yet? ;)

the Ninja — May 16, 2011 @ 3:48 pm

Wonderful presentation. I too love a good margarita on the rocks, this one looks splendid!

Caelyn — May 16, 2011 @ 11:28 pm

coolest pitcher i’ve ever seen. i love it.

Carly — May 17, 2011 @ 10:17 am

This is almost identical to my Dad’s recipe, although he uses more Patron and less Grand Marnier. And I can tell you from experience this is one tasty cocktail! Thanks for sharing

Kacey — May 18, 2011 @ 8:46 am

This looks like my type of margarita! I’ll be making it this weekend…or sooner!

Kirsten — May 19, 2011 @ 9:37 pm

This looks so delicious! I’ll have to make a trip to the store tomorrow since I don’t have any of the Grand Marnier at my place.

Coryn — May 25, 2011 @ 5:15 pm

Mmm this is cruel when I’ve been trying hard to only drink those Skinny B**** magaraitas (is this a PG blog? lol). They’re not nearly as good, but wooo do margaritas pack some calories. I think I may have to spoil myself and try your recipe for Memorial Day weekend!

• Jessica — May 25th, 2011 @ 10:36 pm

Doooo it. :)

Elle — June 2, 2011 @ 12:25 pm

I need a pitcher like that! Full of margaritas. Like this.

Ben — July 2, 2011 @ 2:33 pm

SO GOOD! Though I do recommend less simple syrup if you use Key Lime juice (it was all I had around and I *NEEDED* a margarita!)

Sandi — July 2, 2011 @ 10:08 pm

I’ve been making your margarita’s all weekend (ok I started Thursday) and now I’ve added your guacamole to the mix. I’m in heaven and may only pull it together enough to run to the store for more supplies!! Happy 4th of July!!!!

Annie — July 2, 2011 @ 10:16 pm

I just stumbledupon this and I’m sort of in love margaritas too. And I sort of love the way you blog. This alone has made me a follower:)

Alisa — July 15, 2011 @ 11:47 am

Absolutely a must, this steamy DC summer needs more citrus and tequila…

Crystal — August 21, 2011 @ 4:26 pm

These are delicious!! My husband and I have been rocking these all weekend :) Just wondering if you have tried using the Gran Gala liqueur? I’ve heard it tastes just like Grand Marnier, but is half the price…thought maybe since these have become a staple in our afternoons/evenings, something a little cheaper than Grand Marnier may be a great option!

Steven — January 16, 2012 @ 2:06 pm

Would love to know how you get that nice mojito green color with Margaritas that are more GM than tequila.

• Jessica — January 16th, 2012 @ 2:08 pm

Green color? These aren’t really ever green and are more clear than anything. If you’re referring to the color in the pitcher it might just be from the citrus slices and reflections of glass against the window while photographing.

Kristi — June 4, 2012 @ 10:01 pm

I am obsessed with your delicious margarita recipes.I plan to make some of them up for the 4th. You wouldn’t have the recipes for a pitcher would you?

Emily R — July 21, 2012 @ 10:47 pm

Awesome recipe; so delicious! One weird thing – we followed the recipe to the T, and ours turned out to be a cloudy orange (I’m guessing from the Grand Marnier). Not clear at all. Still delicious! Just thought it was odd that the color was different. Yours were definitely more beautiful than ours :)

Maggie — July 21, 2012 @ 11:59 pm

Excellent recipe! Tried it tonight and it produced one of the best margs I’ve ever had! :)

Tonya Lee — March 2, 2014 @ 7:49 pm

Girl, you can MAKE a margarita. In 2014, I had committed myself to the “summer (um, spring???) of margaritas” and my challenge: To make as many types of authentic, nix-the-mix margaritas as I can. My goal: A glorious attempt to find an amazing yet simple margarita among the throngs. (I thought it wouldn’t be easy.)

I think I can stop with your recipes. Oh dear, what to do the rest of the summer?

Drink ‘em!

Tonya Lee — March 2, 2014 @ 7:56 pm

Btw… Your Coconut Creamsicle Margarita is next in my tummy. Beware, coconuts! (wink!)

1. Pingback: Last Supper | Heather's Dish