File the following under my list of current obsessions.

Piled Portobello Gouda Burgers with Roasted Garlic I howsweeteats.com

Perfect single serving margaritas… with lots of salt.

Creating the extra smokey [aqua] eye with a $24 dollar brush and MAC’s Talent Pool.

Surviving on toast, cheese, chocolate, avocado and butter-sauteed mushrooms while playing single lady for an entire week.

Real World. What.a.trainwreck. But I don’t watch it. That’s just what I’ve heard.

Piled Portobello Gouda Burgers with Roasted Garlic I howsweeteats.com

Searching for the only self tanner in the universe that doesn’t turn me 6 shades of dirty Jersey Shore orange.

Hugging it out.

Daily long walks that are triumphant to any other form of cardio.

Ice cold water studded with strawberries and cucumbers.

Piled Portobello Gouda Burgers with Roasted Garlic I howsweeteats.com

See also:

Trashy celeb magazines.

Blake Shelton. Huuuuuuge girl crush.

Pinterest. Still can’t stop.

Vacuuming up a 2 pound container of spilled sprinkles in the crevice of my counter.

Eating burgers off of English muffins.

Piled Portobello Gouda Burgers with Roasted Garlic I howsweeteats.com

Have you ever eater a burger on top of the crusty nooks and crannies? Obsessed. I can’t get over the toastiness and the crunchiness and all-around goodness.

My current fixation on mushrooms finally led me down the dusty and sometime-fungied path of a giant portobello burger. I’m waaay too much of a beef lover to order something like this on the reg, so I took it upon myself to create a little snack that I am now enamored with.

Buttery roasted garlic, creamy avocado, marinated portobello caps and syrupy balsamic. Oh, and two thick slices of gouda. What are you waiting for?

Imagine how much better your day is going to get after eating this. I think it’s time to drop whatever you’re doing and make one. You have my permission.

Piled Portobello Gouda Burgers with Roasted Garlic I howsweeteats.com

Piled Portobello Gouda Burgers with Roasted Garlic

makes 4 burgers

4 English muffins (light multigrain are our favorites)

4 portobello mushroom caps

for mushroom marinade:

1/3 cup olive oil

2 tablespoons soy sauce

2 tablespoons cooking sherry

2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar

1 garlic clove, minced

Two hours before serving, combine the marinade ingredients in a shallow dish and add mushrooms. I let them lay on their top side in the marinade, and spoon some marinade into the bottom-up side to let it soak. Marinate for two hours.

One hour before serving, preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Slice off the top of the heads of garlic and drizzle a bit of olive oil (1/2 tablespoon) on top. Wrap in foil and roast for 45 minutes. Let cool completely. Heat the balsamic vinegar in a small saucepan and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and cook for 3 minutes, then turn off heat and set aside to thicken.

Slice red onion into rings and add 1/2 tablespoon olive oil into a large skillet on medium heat. Add onions and let soften and caramelize for 10-12 minutes. Set aside once finished, leaving the skillet on. Add the marinated mushrooms to the skillet top side up. Cook for 5 minutes, then flip and cook for 4 more. Turn back over, add a slice of gouda on top, and turn off heat.

Toast the English muffins. Using your fingers, squeeze roasted garlic out of the head into a bowl. Mash with a spoon. Spread on both sides of each English muffin.

Top English muffin with a portobello cap, onion rings, tomato, avocado, and butter lettuce. I recommend a light sprinkle of salt and pepper on the tomato and avocado for flavor. Finish with a drizzle of syrupy balsamic and serve.

Piled Portobello Gouda Burgers with Roasted Garlic I howsweeteats.com

Only made better with bacon. Duh.

154 Responses to “Piled Portobello Gouda Burgers with Roasted Garlic.”

Maya — September 6, 2011 @ 11:20 am

Made this last week and they were amazing! I didn’t have gouda so I used whatever we had. So, these were so good that MY carnivorous husband even said he could do another dinner out of them. Only he also told me as long as we had a “solid side dish”. Progress?

Krissy @ Make It Naked — September 14, 2011 @ 10:39 pm

Holy crap. Just had these as our main dish at cooking club. Awesome. And there was bacon. Awesomer.

Emily@ Living Longfellow — January 4, 2012 @ 7:22 pm

Oh yes, I definitely could live on cheese, chocolate, and avocados. Everything in butter too, please!

Meghan — April 30, 2012 @ 1:38 am

Do you think it would be alright to marinate to mushrooms all day?

• almostveg — May 28th, 2012 @ 5:03 pm

I think it would become too soggy since mushrooms have a tendency to absorb moisture – hence the common belief that they should not be washed, but just brushed with a damp paper towel.

Hope it helps

stacia — October 18, 2012 @ 8:22 pm

will you marry me?

if not, will you be in a triad with me and my husband?

if not, will you marry my husband and be my sister wife?

because I feel like we might be soulmates. are you thoroughly creeped out? sorry bout that.

Austen — March 18, 2013 @ 12:19 pm

I’ve spent the last hour tootling around your blog. I’m starving, near-drooling, and absolutely delighted. I’d love to stick around longer, but I have a great deal of shopping ahead of me, and several years’ worth of cooking to get to.
    But I WILL be back. :)

Robin — May 26, 2013 @ 12:30 pm

I made this for my husband and he devoured two of them… right before asking if I would make it again next week. Thank you for introducing me to the world of roasted garlic!

RalphLauren Outlet — June 12, 2013 @ 2:26 am

Very good website you have here but I was curious
    if you knew of any message boards that cover the same topics discussed here?
    I’d really like to be a part of online community where I can get responses from other experienced people that share the same interest. If you have any recommendations, please let me know. Thanks!

Laura — February 5, 2014 @ 12:36 pm

Amazing!! I didn’t have time to do the 2hr marinade and it turned out perfectly! I’ll be adding this to our menu on “meat- free Mondays” :)

1. Pingback: 3 Square Meals | Yes, I want cake.

2. Pingback: dive into summer — Eat, Live, Run

3. Pingback: Portobello Burger

4. Pingback: Garlic Scape Pesto and Portobello Burger for One « 321delish

5. Pingback: Portobello Mushroom Burger Recipe | Two Peas & Their Pod

6. Pingback: 2011 Blogger Love « Make It Naked

7. Pingback: Crockpot Parmesan Garlic Chicken with Whole Wheat Orzo | How Sweet It Is

8. Pingback: Portobello Burgers with Gouda and Roasted Garlic | Galaxy Fitness Club's Blog

9. Pingback: Portobello Burgers with Guoda and Roasted Garlic | Westmoreland Athletic Club's Blog

10. Pingback: Balsamic Portobello Burgers with Pepper Jack Cheese and Roasted Garlic | Kathleen's Mean Bean Machine

11. Pingback: 2011 Blogger Love | Make it Naked

12. Pingback: Asiago Portobello Burgers with Roasted Red Peppers + Balsamic Glaze | How Sweet It Is

13. Pingback: The Best Thing I Ever Made | Little Red Delicious

14. Pingback: 70 Recipes for the 4th of July | How Sweet It Is

15. Pingback: Climbing Grier Mountain » foodie fridays: portobello burgers with roasted garlic

16. Pingback: Quickie Black Beans and Meatless Meals For Lent | Aggie's Kitchen

17. Pingback: Just In Case You Forgot About Memorial Day Too | oh so decadent

18. Pingback: Setting the Table: Festive 4th | Channeling Contessa

19. Pingback: Asiago Portobello Burgers with Roasted Red Peppers + Balsamic Glaze | How Sweet It Is

20. Pingback: Asian Turkey Burgers with Spicy Lime Mayo. | How Sweet It Is