It was delicious.

See, I have a little bit of a thing for tuna. When I was little my mom used to hard boil eggs and make some delicious tuna salad. Then we would eat it on toast and it was sooooo good. Total comfort food. You know what I’m saying?

The problem here is that I don’t always have mayonnaise. I don’t really love it until it’s smeared on a BLT, minus the L and T. Or just lightly thrown into tuna or chicken salad… but that’s it. So yesterday when I was craving tuna? No mayo to be found. I love mustard but not enough to make tuna salad out of mustard entirely. And no, I will never eat tuna plain again. Had enough that when training for fitness competitions and the thought makes me want to hurl myself off a bridge.

I had avocado though! I sort of bought 9 avocados last week because they are so hit or miss here in Pittsburgh and I really wanted to make that frosting. I figured if I bought 9 at least half of them had to be okay.

So I mixed the tuna with about 1/3 of an avocado, cherry tomatoes, salt and pepper.

Then I mashed it all up and made it look ugly.

I also ended up adding some feta and then had it on toast. With chips. I actually loved it more than tuna made with mayo because it was thick and dense. I ate it again today.

And now I’m craving a peanut butter cup.

68 Responses to “That Lunch I Ate Yesterday.”

Amanda (Eating Up) — May 10, 2011 @ 3:02 pm

So excited I have a can of tuna in the pantry right now. I just gotta track down an avocado…

Mila @ loftyappetite — May 10, 2011 @ 3:07 pm

wow yummy. so simple, and the avacodo is an unexpected and creative touch! *drooling in my cubicle*

janetha @ meals & moves — May 10, 2011 @ 3:07 pm

I never use mayo for tuna anymore.. avocado is a great binder! I sometimes use cottage cheese or greek yogurt.. but avocado is the tastiest by far.

Jess — May 10, 2011 @ 3:07 pm

This is the perfect idea for ME because i hate mayo!

Kelly — May 10, 2011 @ 3:08 pm

Ooo I love tuna!! And this recipe looks absolutely delicious :) So colorful and healthy!

Holly @ The Runny Egg — May 10, 2011 @ 3:10 pm

I think that avocados are nature’s mayo!

Andrea @ Vegvacious — May 10, 2011 @ 3:10 pm

Avocados rock! They are so versatile.
    I am always craving a PB cup….wanna share?!

emily W. — May 10, 2011 @ 3:11 pm

Mmm…I love all things avocado, and therefore the several ideas you’ve posted of late. We got spoiled in TX where they’re $.50 a piece regularly whereas here in GA they’re $1 on sale!
    I really love your site. I’ve been stalking it for weeks now. My lil cookin bro Stumbled on it and sent it to me…it’s a love/hate relationship: I love reading your posts, and making the foods, and hate that I have no self control…

Averie (LoveVeggiesAndYoga) — May 10, 2011 @ 3:14 pm

Necessity is the mother of invention. Glad you rocked out a couple great lunches! Avo is such a great base…for just about anything! Who needs mayo when you have avos? Ok, I do sometimes :) haha!

Melissa @ Journey to Marvelous — May 10, 2011 @ 3:14 pm

Avocado sounds like a great alternative to mayo in tuna…I hadn’t thought of it before but will definitely try it!

Kelly — May 10, 2011 @ 3:19 pm

Such a good idea and healthy alternative to mayo!

Jenna — May 10, 2011 @ 3:23 pm

Uh, I hate tuna, but thats because my mom used to make me plain tuna sandwiches for lunch as a kid (no mayo!). However, over the years, I have learned to appreciate it when mixed with stuff. Avocado and tuna sounds great :)

Robyn {Planet Byn} — May 10, 2011 @ 3:29 pm

avocados cause me so much stress. it’s like a guessing game everytime i open one! i hate it!

Jenn L @ Peas & Crayons — May 10, 2011 @ 3:32 pm

great now i’m craving a peanut butter cup too! =) haha!

The tuna salad with avo looks awesome! I’ll have to try this sometime! <3

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat — May 10, 2011 @ 3:40 pm

Yummm! I’ve never tried mixing tuna with avocado because my usual go-to is Greek yogurt (which is also fabulous by the way – mix in some dill, black pepper, and lemon juice, or do a curry variety… both are the bomb!!) The boiled eggs and tuna salad sounds delicious too!

Marisa @ Loser for Life — May 10, 2011 @ 3:42 pm

I made tuna salad with guacamole a couple of weeks ago and it was AMAZING!!!

Gen — May 10, 2011 @ 3:43 pm

That sounds really, really good!!!! I bet the avocado makes the tuna so creamy and flavorful!!! Plus, if I ever get to make this, I’ll once again get it all to myself!! hahaha

Rachel @ Rachel's Recipe Reviews — May 10, 2011 @ 3:43 pm

Genius! I’m going to have to make this for hubby. He loves tuna but eats it with JUST plain yellow mustard (YUCK) because he thinks the mayo will make him fat. Which it will. But he loves gauc–maybe this will spruce things up a bit for him :)

Heather (Heather's Dish) — May 10, 2011 @ 3:45 pm

I love lunch…I think it’s my favorite meal of the day, right behind happy hour anyway ;)

Aneta — May 10, 2011 @ 3:45 pm

I totally looooove tuna as well. gonna make myself some tuna for tomorrow’s lunch.
    yumm!

allison @ thesundayflog — May 10, 2011 @ 3:52 pm

last week i combined tuna, eggs, and white bean hummus for my sandwich spread! i dont really care for mayo either, and the hummus was a perfect addition (even if my entire body reeked of fish, eggs, and garlic…) yum haha

Anna @ Newlywed, Newly Veg — May 10, 2011 @ 3:57 pm

Mmmmm…there’s a veg restaurant in Shreveport that serves tuna + avocado sammies…they’re my FAVORITE!

misty — May 10, 2011 @ 4:10 pm

SOUNDS divine!

VeggieGirl — May 10, 2011 @ 4:11 pm

Ooooh, YUM! And go follow it up with a PB cup for sure :D

Heather from Snacktive — May 10, 2011 @ 4:18 pm

haha! It looks really good. Avocado makes anything better.

Taylor — May 10, 2011 @ 4:19 pm

Hey Jess! First time posting, but your blog is fantastic (I won’t say out loud that I stalk it multiple times daily) and your tuna creation looks delicious! Perfect for a quick lunch. This comment is random and has nothing to do with tuna, but I was wondering if you had any good jelly/jam recipes? I creeped around your site for a bit and couldn’t find any so I thought I’d ask! :-)

Kristen @ Chocolate Covered Kristen — May 10, 2011 @ 4:23 pm

Saw this and immediately tried it… added abt a tsp of light ranch dressing. Love it!

Amy @ A Little Nosh — May 10, 2011 @ 4:37 pm

Holy hell that sounds good!

Gina @Runningtothekitchen — May 10, 2011 @ 5:13 pm

Wow, what an awesome alternative to mayo!

Lisa @ healthyHFX — May 10, 2011 @ 5:20 pm

I usually mix my tuna with Greek yogurt, a little Dijon mustard and dill spice. but since I have an avocado and no Greek yogurt, im definitely having this for lunch tomorrow. Thanks.

Beth @ Persnickety Hall — May 10, 2011 @ 5:23 pm

Looks tasty!

Kat @ Cupcake Kat — May 10, 2011 @ 5:27 pm

I love tuna. I used to have tuna sandwiches every day for lunch. Avocado and tuna sounds like a great combination

Julie (Food & Other Things) — May 10, 2011 @ 5:27 pm

I love tuna and I love the idea of mixing it avocado!

Alaina — May 10, 2011 @ 5:38 pm

I don’t like mayo now too. I wonder if tuna and Greek yogurt will work? Hmm…

Bianca @ South Bay Rants n Raves — May 10, 2011 @ 5:38 pm

Avocado trumps mayo. Nice twist!

Serena — May 10, 2011 @ 6:21 pm

I’ve never eaten tuna + avocado together, but it sounds delicious! Does it taste like guacamole with tuna mixed in?

Krystina (Organically Me) — May 10, 2011 @ 7:07 pm

I’ve done this! It’s awesome.

laurie — May 10, 2011 @ 7:11 pm

My turn…I just licked my screen…three times…hehe! (still laugh at that post from one of your followers…)

This sounds awesome. May have to try it. We must be kindred souls. I made tuna salad yesterday but I never thought of this. i am the hard boiled eggs and mayo girl…=) My husband a newfound workout fiend would probably go for this!

Cait @ Beyond Bananas — May 10, 2011 @ 7:15 pm

Even mashed up.. I think it looks beautiful!

Stephanie @cookinfanatic — May 10, 2011 @ 7:16 pm

Oh I will most definitely be trying this one!!! What a great idea! I’m not a big mayo lover so I usually like to make tuna w/ olive oil, white balsamic, tomatoes and onions plus some s,p & oregano – however what a fun idea with the avocado, love it :)

helana — May 10, 2011 @ 7:31 pm

i had an avocado for lunch drizzled with balsamic and olive oil and salt and pepper and ate it with peta chips it was soooo yummy… and when i was eating it i was thinking it would of been good with tuna…

Phyrra — May 10, 2011 @ 7:34 pm

That looks awesome! At a restaurant a few weeks back I had raw tuna & avocado with a ginger dressing. It was amazing! My favorite salad to date! Avocado makes EVERYTHING better.

Brittany @ B Out There — May 10, 2011 @ 7:47 pm

Excellent. Now the three sad little avocados on my counter feel like they have a purpose. Ever tried Pb and avocado? I’m told it’s earth shattering. Looks like I have two sandwiches to make :).

• Jessica — May 10th, 2011 @ 8:28 pm

Nope I never have!

Maryea {Happy Healthy Mama} — May 10, 2011 @ 10:00 pm

Wow this looks great!! Must try.

Heather A. — May 10, 2011 @ 10:24 pm

Tried this today and loved it! It was tasty and super filling…way better than with mayo! Thanks for being a genius :)

Liv @ The Salty n' Sweet — May 10, 2011 @ 10:55 pm

Avocado is seriously nature’s butter. I usually make tuna salad with greek yogurt, but I’ll definitely try this next time!

Elena @ GagaForGrapefruit — May 10, 2011 @ 11:17 pm

yummm! i don’t know how to pick good avocados!

elle marie — May 11, 2011 @ 1:19 am

Have you had the chunk tuna before? After vay-cay I went back on my wagon, and I had this Thai curry with rice under 500 cals… nom nom… I wish avocado wasn’t post harvest here… boo

Amanda — May 11, 2011 @ 7:51 am

Any chance you are preggers???????? :)

• Jessica — May 11th, 2011 @ 9:24 am

Hahaha nope!

Angie@Angiesrecipes — May 11, 2011 @ 9:05 am

Love those mushroom fries! Very special.

1. Pingback: Tuesday Things. | How Sweet It Is

2. Pingback: Tuesday Things. | How Sweet It Is

3. Pingback: Avocado Tuna Tacos | Yeah…imma eat that.

4. Pingback: Mini Roasted Tomato Cups with Avocado, White Bean + Tuna Mash | How Sweet It Is

5. Pingback: Mini Roasted Tomato Cups with Avocado, White Bean + Tuna Mash. » A Bowl Full Of Blogs

6. Pingback: Mini Roasted Tomato Cups with Avocado, White Bean + Tuna Mash. | Lifestyle Pins

7. Pingback: What happens when avocados are on sale « the not quite chef