Sooo… it appears that this whole wheat thing isn’t going anywhere anytime soon, is it? Drats.

Whole wheat pasta, whole wheat cakes, whole wheat breads, whole wheat muffins… looks like we’re in for the long haul. About 5 miles away Mother Lovett just took a good long roll in her grave and asked Jesus (I hope) for another slice of buttered white bread.

I was fortunate enough to inherit the wheat-loving gene. I like things hearty. It obviously came from my dad’s side, as my mom can’t fathom life without fluffy Town Talk bread, greasy Ritz crackers and enriched flour-laced angel hair. Mom’s motto: wheat is atrocious.

I firmly believe that there is a time and a place for wheat, and well… dessert isn’t it. But last week I got a bit saucy with our Sunday night dessert and threw whole wheat flour into the cookie instead of the regular stuff. Wild, I know.

I live on the edge.

And I teased you about it. My apologies.

You should know a few things:

1. Wheat cookie bowls don’t taste like they have wheat in them. Win.

2. They have (lots of?) butter. Wheat totally cancels that out. (<— good at math.)

3. They are best when left gooey, but if that whole raw egg thing skeeves you out, then… eat them fully baked. In which case you won’t have truly lived, but I forgive you.

4. I obnoxiously stood over the sink last night and ate all the crispy skin off a freshly roasted chicken. Then tried on bathing suits and cried. Overshare?

Look! They are just begging you to make them.

Whole Wheat Chocolate Chip Cookie Bowls

makes 4 ramekins (3 1/2 x 2)

1 stick butter, softened

3/4 cup brown sugar, loosely packed

1 egg

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

1 1/3 cups whole wheat pastry flour (or all-purpose)

1 teaspoon baking soda

1/4 teaspoon salt

3/4 cup chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Sift whole wheat flour, baking soda and salt together and set aside in a bowl.

Cream butter and sugar together in the bowl of an electric mixer until it’s light and fluffy. Add egg and vanilla and beat until combined. Add in dry ingredients and mix until just combined. Fold in chocolate chips.

Spray 4 oven-safe ramekins with non-stick spray and divide the dough into 4 equal parts. Press the dough into the ramekin – each one should have about 1/3-1/2 cup dough.

Bake for 18-20 minutes, or until the top is golden brown and the middle is still slightly gooey. Set aside and let cool for 5 minutes until they can be handled then serve with vanilla ice cream.

Note: I don’t think the whole wheat pastry flour is “study” enough to make this recipe in cookie form but I have yet to try. It works perfectly for the cups!

Bake them? Don’t make me ask you twice.

168 Responses to “Whole Wheat Chocolate Chip Cookie Bowls.”

Molly — May 5, 2011 @ 6:20 pm

Cookie bowls…this is a new (and fabulous) concept to me!

Tracy — May 5, 2011 @ 6:22 pm

Mmm, sounds so good, even with the whole wheat! ;-)

Alaina — May 5, 2011 @ 6:38 pm

Oh yum. Now I just need to add ramekins to the list of kitchen items that I yearn for.

I am definitely making these soon! :-)

Christine — May 5, 2011 @ 7:46 pm

Umm, thank you!

Kat @ Cupcake Kat — May 5, 2011 @ 8:36 pm

Holy chocolate chip cookie! My tongue deserves this magic.
    I love whole wheat flour. These have to be healthy because they’re whole wheat

Lisa — May 5, 2011 @ 9:13 pm

sounds so good! I am afraid of raw egg, I wonder if you can replace the egg with anything so it can still be eaten uncooked? regardless, I think ill give this a try! I may have to buy ramekins though… :)

Ashley — May 5, 2011 @ 11:11 pm

This reminds me of a Pizookie (have you had one? MMMM) but better. if thats possible. I’ll have to try and see..

• Jessica — May 6th, 2011 @ 6:49 am

I never have had one!

elle marie — May 6, 2011 @ 3:46 am

In a bowl? Now that is super creative!!!

Happy When Not Hungry — May 6, 2011 @ 8:17 am

Wow these look amazing! Such a great idea and I love the whole wheat flour too. Yum as always!

jenna — May 6, 2011 @ 9:08 am

this makes my mouth water…..I need to make these now!! btw….i was wondering…do you have an extra room in your house? Can I come live with you and be your personal taste tester?? pretty please? I”m sure your husband has alway wanted a 27 year-old kid ;)

• Jessica — May 6th, 2011 @ 2:36 pm

Sure. :) But I think he already has a child that age… me.

Justeen @ Blissful Baking — May 6, 2011 @ 11:58 am

I’ve been waiting for you to post the recipe for this fabulous creation. I can’t wait to try it!!!

Annie@stronghealthyfit — May 6, 2011 @ 7:40 pm

Oh my. SO cute!

Connie — May 6, 2011 @ 8:18 pm

OMG these look delectable!!!!

Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction — May 6, 2011 @ 10:23 pm

I happen to like the taste/texture of whole wheat flour, too… I have thrown it into baked goods a few times, and lots of butter and other tasty things (like heavy cream!) definitely help! Love these cookie bowls… Definitely something I need to try!

Katrina — May 7, 2011 @ 3:15 am

Whole wheat is my friend. I like these!

Julia Legrand — May 7, 2011 @ 8:39 pm

My friends and I do something very similar to this! When we’re in the mood for a quick chocolate chip cookie fix, we bake an entire roll of store-bought dough on a cookie sheet for about 15 minutes. The outside and edges gets crispy, while the inside stays gooey. We call it a “dough loaf.” Dee-licious!

Pretty. Good. Food. — May 8, 2011 @ 4:10 pm

Oh my deliciousness!!!!!!!! Man, that looks so ridiculously good!

Sophia — May 10, 2011 @ 11:32 am

Wow, this looks incredible!! And healthy?? So awesome! I could eat ten of these haha!

Cara — May 10, 2011 @ 2:20 pm

Finally! I have got to bookmark these and make them as soon as I get home from Italy! I’m dying for a good chocolate chip cookie bowl!

Danielle — May 10, 2011 @ 3:48 pm

So did you eat the 4 ramekins of cookies before or after the chicken skin? Now there’s a breakfast of champions! Count me in.

Jordan — May 13, 2011 @ 9:28 pm

Can I just say these were amazing! Thank you! I didn’t use whole wheat just all purpose flour but they worked out amazing and were a hit! I made these for a family dinner and they were so simple and my parents were impressed.

Here’s a picture of mine!

Rebekah @ Making Miracles — May 15, 2011 @ 4:17 pm

These look awesome!! Adorable, fun and YUMMY!!! Mmmm… cookie pie! :)

Rebekah @ Making Miracles — May 16, 2011 @ 10:03 am

I made these last night – they are absolutely PHENOMENAL… ooey, gooey, chocolatey decadance… mmmm….

Kristin — June 1, 2011 @ 5:32 pm

I just found the recipe and my husband is currently begging me to make these right now. Thanks!

Natalie Boenker — July 11, 2011 @ 9:09 pm

I’m about to put these in the oven, they look SO SO SO good!! Thank you for your always amazing recipes.

Kathryn — July 13, 2011 @ 4:20 pm

I made these a while ago and they were so good. I think I’m going to change the recipe a little tonight and add some marshmallows and crushed up graham cracker to make them kind of like a s‘more cookie. Hopefully they turn out just as good if not better!

shannon mundelius — July 23, 2011 @ 10:40 am

I make cookies all the time with whole wheat flour (choc. chip & oatmeal craisin). They’re delicious, and hold up great! They also tend to make me full more quickly…you’d think I’d eat fewer, but it doesn’t always happen that way. I can’t wait to try a cookie bowl!!! My kids and hubby will be in HEAVEN!!!

Jillian — August 2, 2011 @ 11:35 pm

I love these bowls and I made them tonight. I posted about it on my blog with some modifications for a single serve version. Thanks so much for the recipe. It hits the spot every time!

mrsblocko — August 9, 2011 @ 10:39 am

I made these and wrote about them here. Thank you so much for sharing the recipe!

Jackie — October 6, 2011 @ 11:00 pm

This is one of the best things I’ve ever tasted in my life. I made it for company twice (with all purpose flour) and some of my guests didn’t finish theirs off (WHAT?!?) Anyway… I stood over the sink and finished it for them:) There is NO WAY I am throwing away even a crumb of this liquid gold. The ramekins are magic makers…

chefteena — October 24, 2011 @ 9:19 pm

These are in the oven and #1 son is on his way to pick up some vanilla frozen yogurt. (I’d rather have ice cream but dh and #1 son can’t handle it!) I’ll be at Curves more than 3 times this week!

Marie — February 6, 2013 @ 10:06 pm

I am making these for 40 people tonight! Love this recipe!

Amanda — February 10, 2013 @ 10:35 am

I was wondering-do you put the ramekins on a baking sheet or directly on the oven rack? (sorry, Rookie ‘cook’)! Thanks!

anonymous — December 2, 2013 @ 10:45 pm

you guysssss just use a oven safe mug