I’m chatty today.

Crispy Shrimp and Mango Spring Rolls I howsweeteats.com

Want to talk about things that aren’t fun? Good. I’ll go first.

Coming home from vacation. What.the.heck. Whoever decided that you should leave vacation paradise is out of their mind. Who even coined the word vacation? I’m not their biggest fan. I’d like to pie them in the face. Wait… no… I want to eat that pie and punch them in the face. Much better.

It should have be called something more like A Quick Teaser of What Life Should Really Be Like That Leaves You Sunkissed, Exhausted and Craving Another Week Away. And Hungover. Leaving sun and lobster and waves? I don’t like it. Not one bit. I tried to bury myself in the sand to escape, but I’m a big baby and the crabs started pinching and the sun burned my eyes and everything started to chafe and there was just soooo much sand in my swimsuit and… and…

… I got hungry.

Imagine that. I don’t know why, but those crabs crawling on the actual shoreline don’t taste nearly as good as the freshly steamed ones that took a long, hot bath in a vat of butter.

Crispy Shrimp and Mango Spring Rolls I howsweeteats.com

Sigh. Monday Schmonday.

Guess what I ate a lot of while on vacation? Vegetables!!

Not.

I think my current vegetable intake is at negative 27. That’s how many vegetables I didn’t eat.

Crispy Shrimp and Mango Spring Rolls I howsweeteats.com

Oh oh oh but… I made these spring roll thingies before I left. Just like lettuce wraps, but wrapped in rice paper. I like rice paper. Sometimes I like lettuce wraps. Sometimes. But really… I can only consider them a meal if I eat a loaf of bread before and a chunk of cheesecake after.

Kidding! Sort of.

Remember the crispy shrimp tacos I made? I realllllllly liked them. I think we have eaten them almost 20 times since and that is not an exaggeration. These are sort of like those. You know… if you want to subtract the soft, pillowy tortilla and the fresh, crisp salsa and the tangy cheese.

Hmmmmmm. Yeah. I don’t really want to do that either. But the spring rolls are delicious in their own right. I promise. I wouldn’t lead you astray now would I? Plus, since you’re eating all these vegetables wrapped up in lettuce and stuff, you get to eat even more guacamole and chips. <— that’s a secret. See? I knew there was a point to this. I like that. I really, really like that. And I like you. I don’t just share my secrets with anyone.

Crispy Shrimp and Mango Spring Rolls I howsweeteats.com

Crispy Shrimp Spring Rolls

serves 2-4

1 pound of raw, deveined shrimp (I also butterfly mine)

1 cup flour

1/2 teaspoon salt

1/2 teaspoon pepper

2 tablespoons olive oil

1 mango, peeled and sliced into matchsticks

1 bunch of bibb lettuce or rainbow chard leaves

2 seedless cucumbers, peeled and chopped

1 avocado, peeled, pitted and chopped

1 bunch of cilantro

12 rice paper wrappers (optional)

In a bowl, combine flour with salt and pepper. Dredge each shrimp through the flour to lightly coat. Heat a skillet over medium-high heat and add olive oil. Once hot, add shrimp and cook on each side for 2-3 minutes, just until they develop a light, golden coating. Remove shrimp and set aside on a paper towel.

Cut mango, cucumbers and avocado, and set them in a bowls in an assembly line. Wash and dry lettuce or chard, tearing it into smaller leaves if needed. You can fill the leaves with the shrimp, mango, cucumber and avocado mixture and stop here if desired. If using the rice paper wrappers, fill a 9 x 13 pan with water. Dip each wrapper in the pan for a second and lay on a paper towel to dry. If the wrappers are circular, fold in the left and right sides just until they touch. Layer lettuce, shrimp, avocado, mango and cucumber, then roll the roll rice wrapper up until it seals at the top. Voila!

Cilantro Dipping Sauce

adapted from epicurious

1 cup chopped fresh cilantro leaves

2 garlic cloves, minced

2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar

1 tablespoon fresh lime juice

1 tablespoons sweet chili sauce

2/3 cup olive oil

Combine cilantro, garlic, vinegar, chili sauce and lime juice in a blender or food processor. Blend until pureed, then stream in olive oil with the processor on. Serve immediately.

Crispy Shrimp and Mango Spring Rolls I howsweeteats.com

I’m going to buy a sandbox today.

86 Responses to “Crispy Shrimp and Mango Spring Rolls. [or Lettuce Wraps.]”

Emily — June 20, 2011 @ 4:52 pm

You’re never too old for a sandbox. My brother bought me one for my 17th birthday. Of course, he’s just lazy, it was sitting outside of WalMart and he thought it would be a funny gift and I may have never ACTUALLY used it — but you know, tomay-toe, tomah-toe.

taylor — June 20, 2011 @ 4:59 pm

what’s going on here?! these look a little too healthy.

Skinny Fat Kid — June 20, 2011 @ 5:17 pm

These look awesome! Something about shrimp and mango that just tastes amazing!

Lisa — June 20, 2011 @ 5:54 pm

I have to say that your blog is my fave. I love your recipes and your wit. Keep up the good work and thank you for amazing recipes!

• Jessica — June 20th, 2011 @ 9:35 pm

Thank you so much Lisa!

Cookin' Canuck — June 20, 2011 @ 8:05 pm

Okay, I think I am in heaven with these spring rolls. The flavors sound fantastic and I’m sure that the crunchiness of the shrimp would cause my eyes to roll back in my head (that’s a good thing).

sarah — June 20, 2011 @ 8:45 pm

These are so beautiful, and look so fresh and delicious. I’m going to put a pin in this for sure.

Adrienne @ Midwestern Belle — June 20, 2011 @ 9:02 pm

I’m super bummed – I just got back from the beach today too! These are a fun reminder of the beach and being on vacation, though…Can’t wait to try them.

Laura — June 20, 2011 @ 9:33 pm

Jessica, you are so inspiring to me! I’m 16 and just started my blog today, littlegirlbigtaste.com. It’s devoted to my love of baking and fashion, and I really hope you get the chance to check it out! Your recipes are awesome and you are truly one-of-a-kind!! :)

• Jessica — June 20th, 2011 @ 9:35 pm

Thank you Laura! Congrats on starting your blog!! :)

Naomi(onefitfoodie) — June 20, 2011 @ 9:48 pm

oh my gosh! those fresh spring rolls from vietamenese restaurants are one of my FAVORITE appetizers in the whole world! i have always wanted to try to recreate them but get scared about the rice paper for some reason lol

those look beyond delicious, Jessica! YAY for vacation!

Lita — June 20, 2011 @ 10:34 pm

2/3 olive oil? Is that in cups?

Also, how do you get your shrimp to turn out so damn crispy! Mine always cook too fast on the outside but stay raw on the inside.

• Jessica — June 21st, 2011 @ 6:45 am

Oops sorry – yep it is cups. And the key to getting crispy shrimp is to have the pan REALLY hot. I let mine heat up for at least 5 minutes or so. They only need to be cooked for 2-3 minutes a side, if that. And dredging them in flour gives them the crisp!

Khushboo @ Two Megapixel Food — June 21, 2011 @ 12:23 am

I was googling mango recipes today so this post is god sent! Now I know what to do with all those mangoes sitting in my fridge. Plus, its so healthy. I make a different kind of cilantro sauce, its more like a chutney.

• Jessica — June 21st, 2011 @ 6:44 am

That sounds delicious!

Jenn — June 21, 2011 @ 10:08 am

i’m betting the shrimp would taste hella-good fried in coconut butter/oil…

• Jessica — June 21st, 2011 @ 10:28 am

I often fry shrimp and tilapia in coconut oil and it is SO good! It smells like popcorn while cooking too!

Tracy — June 21, 2011 @ 11:21 am

Gorgeous spring rolls! I’ve never made spring rolls before so I think these will have to go on my menu. :-)

Paula at Dishing The Divine — June 21, 2011 @ 1:15 pm

these look beautiful and delicious!

Dominique — June 22, 2011 @ 12:21 am

Would these be acceptable made with chicken instead of shrimp? Sadly I’m allergic to the family of crustaceans (shrimp, lobster, crabs, etc) but this looks so good. My BF loves cilantro so when I gave him a rundown of the ingredients he said he wants those rolls stat! I might make him make his own shrimp ones and I’ll make the chicken ones.

• Jessica — June 22nd, 2011 @ 6:52 am

Yep!

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) — June 22, 2011 @ 8:16 pm

Crispy shrimp spring rolls sound perfect to me right now :-)

Mafalda — June 27, 2011 @ 11:12 pm

I made them today for my dad’s birthday and everyone loved it!!!

Thank you Jessica!!

I’ve been enjoying your blog for a long time now; I hope you keep on cooking and writing.

Hugs from Madrid.

Yvonne funderburgh — February 13, 2014 @ 7:27 pm

Oh my god. I love this stuff. I could eat it breakfast lunch and dinner
    Thanks