Big, big problem here.

Peanut Butter Cupcakes with Chocolate Cheesecake Frosting I howsweeteats.com

Huge.  Monumental.

Someone made frosting that tastes like chocolate cheesecake. Ugh. This is just great.

Someone who… has quite the fixation with cheesecake. Someone who started eating the frosting and the cupcakes and the sprinkles and sixteen more spoonfuls of frosting and didn’t take a solitary photograph until multiple cupcakes were consumed. Someone who completely forgot about even snapping one shot until the next day.

Someone is in trouble. And someone needs a life. Only so much chocolate cheesecake frosting can be consumed in 13 minutes. And it’s still not enough.

Peanut Butter Cupcakes with Chocolate Cheesecake Frosting I howsweeteats.com

The worst part is that the cupcakes are pretty darn scrumptious too. The general consensus from the taste testers? Cupcakes that taste like Girl Scout Tagalongs.

Sweet. Someone doesn’t hate it.

Especially when one of those testers stacked together a double cheeseburger and topped it with salty, grilled kielbasa yesterday then claimed that he “didn’t want to waste the calories” from the vanilla ice cream offering I presented. Innnnnteresting. Instead he asked, “what about those peanut butter cupcakes you made last week?” Now that I can handle. Even if he did plan on stuffing one in his I’m-asking-for-a-heart-attack burger.

Peanut Butter Cupcakes with Chocolate Cheesecake Frosting I howsweeteats.com

Peanut Butter Cupcakes

makes about 12 cupcakes

1/4 cup butter, softened

1/2 cup creamy peanut butter

1 cup sugar

2 whole eggs

2 teaspoons vanilla extract

1 1/2 cups flour

1 1/4 teaspoon baking powder

1/3 cup milk

3/4 cup peanut butter chips/morsels

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

Cream butter and peanut butter together in the bowl of an electric mixer until smooth and creamy. Add sugar and eggs and beat together until fluffy. Add vanilla and mix for another minute or so.

Combine dry ingredients in a bowl. Add half of the dry ingredients, mixing until just combined. Add the milk. Once mixed, add remaining dry ingredients. Fold in peanut butter morsels.

Pour into cupcake tins and fill 2/3 of the way full. Bake for 15-20 minutes at 350. Let cool, then frost.

Chocolate Cheesecake Frosting

1/2 cup butter, softened

1 block cream cheese (8 ounces), softened

1 tablespoon vanilla extract

4 cups powdered sugar

1/3 cup dark cocoa powder

1-2 tablespoons milk, if needed

In the bowl of an electric mixer, beat butter and cream cheese together until smooth. Add in vanilla. With the mixer on low speed, slowly add powdered sugar 1/2 cup at a time and add cocoa powder, increasing the speed to mix. If the frosting it a bit too thick, add milk 1 teaspoon at a time, until desired consistency is reached.  If it is too thin, add additional sugar gradually. Frost cupcakes once cooled. Top with chocolate sprinkles.

Peanut Butter Cupcakes with Chocolate Cheesecake Frosting I howsweeteats.com

P.S I topped fresh strawberry cupcakes with this frosting. Mmmmm. I thought I died.

P.P.S Did you see some of these fabulous blogs?

182 Responses to “Peanut Butter Cupcakes with Chocolate Cheesecake Frosting.”

Ann — June 7, 2011 @ 7:37 am

Wow – these look amazing! Anything with peanut butter & chocolate is a good idea. Fun-to-read post and great recipe! Thanks!

Amanda — June 7, 2011 @ 8:04 am

Wow. Just…. wow. And…. wow. I love these!

Kathleen @ KatsHealthCorner — June 7, 2011 @ 8:39 am

YUM!!!! :D

Mackenzie@The Caramel Cookie — June 7, 2011 @ 9:39 am

These look so delicious! I’m sure I could eat about 4 right now :).

Happy When Not Hungry — June 7, 2011 @ 9:49 am

OMG these cupcakes look amazing!!!!!! I could eat all of them :-)

Abby — June 7, 2011 @ 11:41 am

1) I LOVE the new look. I’m sorry if I’m late on that, but I’ve been on vacation. You know. But really, I am IN LOVE with this.

2) I NEED THESE CUPCAKES RIGHT NOW. RIGHT NOW!!!!!!!!

3) We need to catch up.

Paula at Dishing The Divine — June 7, 2011 @ 1:13 pm

Seriously!? Chocolate cream cheese frosting. YES! Brilliant. May have to make these *soon*!!!!!!!!

Sherry — June 7, 2011 @ 2:27 pm

This might be slightly off topic, but I was wondering if you had ever tried the cupcakes at Vanilla Pastry Studio in East Liberty (I live in Shadyside). If you haven’t, I suggest you give them a try. Best cupcake I’ve had the pleasure of eating in Pittsburgh so far. Although these might give them a run for their money….

Rachel @ The Avid Appetite — June 7, 2011 @ 3:45 pm

Um…yum! And your photos are gorgeous. Can you come over and give me some lessons?!

Emily — June 7, 2011 @ 5:38 pm

If you ever were near beautiful Johnstown, PA and wanted to swing by the hospital while I’m on crazy twins wanting to be born early bedrest and wanted to bring these cupcakes, I would love you forever. Just an idea ;) haha

Yum Yucky — June 7, 2011 @ 9:52 pm

That’s some thick-azz frosting! haha! Love it.

Lacey @ dishfolio.com — June 7, 2011 @ 11:32 pm

Your photos and recipes are great! We’d love for you to submit your stuff to dishfolio.com! :)

CBarry @ Barry's Bites — June 7, 2011 @ 11:37 pm

YUM!

Shauna from Piece of Cake — June 7, 2011 @ 11:53 pm

I can’t deal. Just can’t deal. Wow. That is all.

Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction — June 8, 2011 @ 2:12 pm

These look amazing… I love the chocolate and peanut butter combo, and I especially love that you flipped things around and made peanut butter cupcakes with chocolate frosting.

Kristen — June 12, 2011 @ 10:20 am

Hi! I had to let you know these were DELICIOUS! I made them for a summer sunset beach picnic and shared the link to your recipe on my blog. These were, to quote a neighbor, “The best cupcakes you’ve made yet. You must keep these in the rotation.”

Hayley — June 12, 2011 @ 6:49 pm

I made this frosting to put on top of butterscotch chocolate chip blondies….and I’m ashamed to say that my friend an I took the bowl of the frosting to the couch with a couple of spoons! This recipe is delightfully sinful but definitely a treat.

Heather Smoke — June 14, 2011 @ 8:15 pm

These look absolutely amazing! I can’t wait to make these.

Noemi — June 15, 2011 @ 2:47 pm

Last week, for my fiance’s birthday, I was so excited to be able to try out one of your recipes that I actually took three different recipes and smooshed them together to make one delicious delicious cake. One layer was banana cake (taken from your banana cupcake recipe), the second layer was the Moist Chocolate Cake recipe from your grandmother, and the absolute BEST part about it was the Chocolate Cheesecake frosting! I made one minor tweak and added about 1/2 cup creamy peanut butter to the frosting and it became Chocolate Peanut Butter Cheesecake Frosting– so delicious, that I hid a small container of excess frosting in the fridge so that I could just eat straight-up frosting after the cake was gone. Thank you so much for all the deliciousness and joy you and your blog have brought!
    And, by the way, my fiance asked if I had really made it or if I had bought it at a bakery. Your recipes are making me look like a professional! Thanks again!!

Margaret — June 15, 2011 @ 2:56 pm

I made these this past weekend for my husband’s birthday and they were a huge hit! That frosting is dangerously delicious :)

MJ — June 17, 2011 @ 9:45 pm

how oh HOW do you get your frosting to be so cute and pretty? My frosting techniques never seem to work… sigh. PLEASE SHARE! I may need a step-by-step tutorial. ;)

Lauren — June 25, 2011 @ 2:00 pm

I just discovered your blog, and I have to admit I am a little obsessed with it. I made these yesterday for a friend’s birthday. My store didn’t have dark cocoa powder so i just used regular. The cupcakes themselves had a great flavor, but I left them in a couple of minutes too long so they were a little dry. The frosting was good but not as chocolaty as I would have liked so I’m a quest to find dark cocoa before my next attempt. :)

alison @ Ingredients, INc. — July 4, 2011 @ 5:33 pm

omg yum!!

Whitney M — July 30, 2011 @ 3:13 pm

I made the frosting once before, but today I tried the cupcakes as well, and they are SO good! The cupcake is dense and moist and had a great taste! Thanks a lot for this recipe :)

Katie — August 2, 2011 @ 2:30 pm

I just made these and they are SO DELICIOUS! I still have about half a bowl or frosting left and I’m eating it with a granny smith apple. It might not sound as good as it tastes but it I’d recommend trying it

TopBaker — August 23, 2011 @ 7:09 pm

I don’t get it, what mix do we need? But im going to try it anyway without this MIX. Thanks.

Jac — September 11, 2011 @ 11:33 pm

Can i use choc chip instead of PB? will it make much difference?

Marie @ Chocolate & Wine — September 16, 2011 @ 12:04 am

Ok – so here’s the deal with these cupcakes.

I made them for my boyfriend’s birthday (which was today) because boyfriend loves PB and chocolate. From the start, I had a huge problem – I couldn’t stop eating the cupcake batter. Like, I think I could’ve made 3 more cupcakes with all the batter that got to my stomach before getting to the cupcake liners. Second, the frosting made me want to stick my face in the bowl. I had extra and it’s currently in tupperware in the freezer because I couldn’t even imagine throwing the leftovers out. I’ll eat it by the spoonful for the next week or so.

Oh – and EVERYONE loved them; boyfriend had 2. I’m pretty sure that goes without saying though =)
    You’re amazing, that’s all!

xo Marie
    Chocolate & Wine

Veronica — January 23, 2012 @ 5:28 pm

I just came across your blog today and have I hit the jackpot! Your recipes are awesome!!! As soon as I get home I have to try this… New year’s resolution will just have to wait a bit longer to get done. This cupcake looks to die for and that frosting sounds so heavenly…

You’re genius!

Jessica — February 29, 2012 @ 8:41 pm

I want to make these tomorrow for a pot luck I’m going to. However, I could only find salted butter and regular baking cocoa. Do I need to make any adjustments?

Hilary — March 10, 2012 @ 3:19 pm

Hi Jessica
    What are peanut butter morsels?
    I think you could slightly improve the frosting by omitting the vanilla and the milk and substituting Baileys ……!
    I’ve made in the past a chocolate Baileys cheesecake OMG its fabulous.
    I’ll look out the recipe and also the recipe for Baileys – you cannot tell the difference between Baileys and homemade!
    Cheesecake: 1cup low fat plain yoghurt, 1cup of dark chocolate chopped and melted, 1cup plain low fat cream cheese, 1 cup of double cream – whipped to soft peak, whip yog and cheese tog, add superfine sugar to taste or use sweetener, add in choc and mix well, and dissolve enough gelatine to set 2pints, add to mix enough Baileys to taste, mix in gelatine and fold in whipped cream.
    Pour over base of crushed (1-2cups) chocolate biscuits and 0.25 cup of melted butter mixed together pressed into 9” greased springform tin.
    Topping : 2cups double cream put in saucepan and bring to almost a simmer take off heat and pour over 2cups of chopped dark chocolate mix, well until completely combined, let it cool slightly add in more Baileys to taste mix well again and let it cool and thicken pour over cheesecake and refrigerate till completely set. Then Enjoy!
    Baileys: 14oz (1.75) cups tinned cream, 6fluid oz( 0.75)cup whiskey scottish not bourbon, 1desert spoon (10 ml) or 2tsp Camp Coffee ( bottled coffee not granules this is liquid,) 2 large eggs, and 4oz (0.5) cup superfine sugar.
    Put in liquidiser or whisk with a wand on top speed for a few mins then bottle and enjoy! Keep in fridge as you would Baileys!

Bicki — April 15, 2012 @ 11:21 pm

Hi,

First of all let me say, I luv you blog! Secondly, I wanted to ask if these PB cupcakes get hard fron their lump within two days. I followed your recipe exactly but i noticed they got hard on the lump. The frosting became sticky and gummy like after a day or two! Was it maybe because i placed them in the fridge? Please help!! They tasted great by the way!! Even after they became hard from the top :)

Krystal — August 21, 2012 @ 6:35 pm

Has anyone made a cake with this recipe?

Mimi — September 6, 2012 @ 9:56 am

These cupcakes don’t have a bad taste but they are dry. Also the next day try to eat them I dare you…very nasty. I am so disappointed with these.

Melissa — September 17, 2012 @ 12:23 pm

definitely going to try these tomorrow night!

1. Pingback: too hot breakfast, too hot kitchen « the edible perspective

2. Pingback: peanut butter cake with salted chocolate ganache — Eat, Live, Run

3. Pingback: baby shower cliff notes « the edible perspective

4. Pingback: a spoonful of sugar « Blogs By Tara

5. Pingback: Nutter Butter Cupcakes

6. Pingback: It’s My Birthday, Let’s Talk Cake! | Not Rachael Ray

7. Pingback: chocolate cheesecake frosting: an apology « spill the beans

8. Pingback: From good, to bad, to OH MY GAWD | Munch Ado About Nothing

9. Pingback: Fluffernutter Cupcakes | How Sweet It Is

10. Pingback: This Weeks Delish: June 11, 2011

11. Pingback: randomnimities and.. an award?? | O to the No

12. Pingback: Peanut Butter Cupcakes | Fat Girl Trapped in a Skinny Body

13. Pingback: Chocolate Peanut Butter Girl Scout Cookie Cheesecake Recipe | Chicken Recipe

14. Pingback: Buy Lipitor Without Prescription » We Always Have The LOWEST Pharmacy Online-Offers » Blog Archive » PB cupcakes & Chocolate buttercream frosting

15. Pingback: Boston Cream Pie Cupcakes with Chocolate Cream Cheese Frosting « Peace, Love and French Fries

16. Pingback: Refried Friday – The Sweet Life