Have you ever bought something… say, like a package of cookies… or a pint of phish food ice cream… or a bag of peanut butter m&m’s… or a container of smashing s’mores from Trader Joe’s… and ripped into the stash before you could even unload the rest of your groceries? Like say… in the car?

Homemade Smashing S'mores I howsweeteats.com

And maybe even… eaten the entire bag/pint/container… ? No?

Neither have I.

Phew. Glad we got that out of the way and realized that we have yet another thing in common. This is the best relationship ever. Communication people. It’s all about communication.

Homemade Smashing S'mores I howsweeteats.com

So, since I still have the entire container left *cough cough* of those Trader Joe’s smashing s’mores that I bought last weekend, I decided to recreate them in anticipation for the day when I eventually do *cough cough* run out. I like to plan ahead. Get all my ducks in a row if you know what I’m saying.

Homemade Smashing S'mores I howsweeteats.com

And you know I love a good s’more, well… a good s’more ANYTHING. If deemed appropriate I’d gladly just shove one marshmallow (okay, maybe two), a chunk of chocolate, and a graham cracker in my mouth then breathe really heavy to make it warm and chew. Don’t be grossed out. S’mores are messy. It’s just their thing.

Homemade Smashing S'mores I howsweeteats.com

I don’t really know why Trader Joe (he is a person right?!) calls these little s’more bites “smashing,” but I like it and I like him. And I like everything else he makes. So you should make a smashing s’more. It’s cute. It’s slightly bigger than bite-size. It’s the perfect size that looks like it will fit in your mouth but then when you actually try you make a huge arse out of yourself because you have to open your mouth as wide as possible and then try to chew and yeah… you know. But it is 100% worth it because these are awesome and even better – you can make one or seven or 39 at a time. Oh! And they are easy too. Easy peasy.

If you really want to go all out, you could make your own graham crackers like my friend Ashley once did and then make your own marshmallows too. This way you could make even tinier smashing s’mores (but um… why would you want to?) and ones more uniform in size that can actually fit in your mouth. And maybe you could have a bit more patience than me and make them prettier so they aren’t a slop pile mess.

Homemade Smashing S'mores I howsweeteats.com

I personally think they are the perfect snack to mindlessly pop while you watch Teen Mom and that other really intellectual show that makes you use your brain. Oh and if you want to pop this in the microwave? You are smart. Do your thang. I approve.

I’m blurry. Don’t mind me. My photographer was too busy chewing.

Smashing S’mores

copied after Trader Joe’s smashing s’mores

makes however many you want

marshmallows

graham crackers

chocolate chips or bar chocolate, melted

Melt a tiny bowl of chocolate to use as “glue.” Melt more chocolate (I used about 1 cup of chocolate chips) in a deep glass or mug to make it easy for dipping.

Break grahams into fours, then cut or snap each slice into squares. Use a dab of chocolate to “glue” the squares together, then add one more dab on top of the top graham and press the marshmallow down. Let sit for 30-60 minutes (or place in the fridge for about 15 if impatient) or until the grahams and marshmallows are “stuck” together. Using a thin fork or long pointy tool (I used a fondue dipped) and press it into the top of the marshmallow gently. Dip it in the chocolate and cover as much as you can. Remove and let set on wax paper, adding more chocolate to the top if you’d like.

I stored mine in the fridge but they are fine at room temperature too!

Homemade Smashing S'mores I howsweeteats.com

If smashing s’mores aren’t your thing, then maybe you can make some brownies or bars or throw s’mores in a jar or even make a pie. And if s’mores just aren’t your thing, well then… I don’t even know you anymore.

144 Responses to “Homemade Smashing S’mores.”

Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga — July 21, 2011 @ 7:04 am

Perfect! Love it!

And no, I never have broken into a bag of chocolate. Or cookies. Or chips. Or spicy mixed nuts. In my car or before any other groceries were put away. No, never.

(wink-wink)

Glad we got that out of the way :)

These are genius! Thanks for the recreation!

Julie @SavvyEats — July 21, 2011 @ 7:04 am

These have been on my to-make list ever since I had the TJ’s version in April. YUM!

Kathryn — July 21, 2011 @ 7:04 am

Oh man, I could eat approximately 83 of these right now. They look so good.

Lauren at Keep It Sweet — July 21, 2011 @ 7:05 am

So cute, I’d probably eat about 50 off these. Oops!

Brittany @ Itty Bits of Balance — July 21, 2011 @ 7:06 am

I’m afraid to make & eat these because I don’t know if I’d be able to stop.

…On second thought, so be it :) Added to my “to make” file!

Hilliary @ Happily Ever Healthy — July 21, 2011 @ 7:09 am

So cute! Great for when you are craving a smore and there is no campfire!

Leanne @ Healthful Pursuit — July 21, 2011 @ 7:11 am

These are fantastic! I agree with Brittany though, I don’t know if I could save these for later.

Jenny @ Fitness Health and Food — July 21, 2011 @ 7:11 am

simply adorable, they look like bonbons but are much much tastier mm mm :)

Lisa @ Sunny Seed Stories — July 21, 2011 @ 7:18 am

Oo another Teen Mom viewer. I want to hear some thoughts!

• Jessica — July 21st, 2011 @ 7:43 am

Hahahaha I really haven’t watched it since the first season so I’m not sure what’s going on. It just happened to be on yesterday while I was flipping through the channels!

Melissa — July 21, 2011 @ 7:20 am

Awesome! :) I wonder if it would be too little marshmallow if you cut the marshamallow in half first? …but I guess if they are easier to pop into your mouth, they become even more dangerous!! :)

• Jessica — July 21st, 2011 @ 7:42 am

That would probably work as long as you put the marshmallow cut-side down!

Katrina — July 21, 2011 @ 7:22 am

These sound amazing! Awesome idea!

Julie H. — July 21, 2011 @ 7:30 am

Ooooo, so good! …..Way to plan ahead and make them for the day *cough cough* you run out of the TJ’s ones.
    Girl it is only 6:30 here and I’m having a sugar attack now!

Erica — July 21, 2011 @ 7:34 am

Breaking into bags of goodies before getting them home always reminds me of being a kid and eating one of those packages of animal crackers while my Mom shopped. Awesome. These look so good. Oh my gosh….I seriously cannot wait until July 29 when our TJs opens-whooop

Holly @ The Runny Egg — July 21, 2011 @ 7:41 am

Smores are definitely my thing! I have yet to try TJ’s smores although I can guarantee I’d eat them all in the car – TJ’s is 1/2 hour away and I need road fuel!

Caroline @ chocolate & carrots — July 21, 2011 @ 7:41 am

Woah. Awesome. I need these right now. And you’re so right, communication is key. Never done that either. ;-) Haha!

Heather (Heather's Dish) — July 21, 2011 @ 7:42 am

i wish i knew trader joe and the goodies he makes…but i like that you recreated this so we could at least try! they look soooooo good. i would totally smash them into my mouth and breathe heavy to melt it all :)

Tara @ The Butter Dish — July 21, 2011 @ 7:48 am

Smores are definitely in season Jess. I have been seeing recipes popping up like daisies. These are not only just total cutie patutie but a great portion size!! Love the idea.

Molly — July 21, 2011 @ 7:51 am

died laughing while reading this post. haha. umm, yeah..I never rip into chocolate/anything sweet before getting home from the store with it… thinking if no one sees me eat it then it didn’t really happen… :)

heather — July 21, 2011 @ 7:58 am

Those look so good! I’ll have to try them since we don’t have a TJ’s here….I’m so deprived.

Kim in MD — July 21, 2011 @ 8:01 am

I haven’t gotten to TJ’s to buy these yet…now I don’t have to! You are a culinary genious, Jessica! Thanks for re-creating them! :-)

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat — July 21, 2011 @ 8:03 am

These look amazing! Sadly we don’t have TJs in Canada but I’m glad I can make my own smashing s’mores now. If you have any other favourite TJ re-creations, I’d love to see the recipes! :)

Gina @ Running to the Kitchen — July 21, 2011 @ 8:05 am

and s’mores continue! Does it get any better than this with s’mores? Yeah, I didn’t think so. These look adorable and delicious!

Stephanie — July 21, 2011 @ 8:07 am

omg! this looks like a little slice of heaven! i MUSt try these! thanks for the idea/recipe

Amy @ Vitamin Amy — July 21, 2011 @ 8:11 am

Why must you torture me so early in the morning? ;-) These look absolutely delicious!

Brooke @ BittersweetBrooke — July 21, 2011 @ 8:15 am

I am notorious for coming back from the grocery store with bags of already half eaten things. I just can’t help myself when my car is full of food and my mouth is empty even thought the grocery store is only 3 minutes away haha. And I generally think I can rock the crazy full mouth look, you know when you think somethings bite size and then it turns out to be a huge bite like these yummy looking s’mores, not everyone can pull something like that off haha.

Krystina (Organically Me) — July 21, 2011 @ 8:18 am

I would, no joke, eat each one of these in one sitting. S’mores are one of my favorite things on earth, and I am a glutton.

Jen @ keepitsimplefoods — July 21, 2011 @ 8:19 am

Fun! These look like a blast to make! :)

Katie — July 21, 2011 @ 8:21 am

Hello there! I e-mailed you around a month ago about how amazing your blog is. I’ve been reading it everyday ever since, cause you’re awesome. But I have a question. I go to Duquesne University, which is in Pittsburgh (like you), and I’ve never seen a Trader Joes! Where is it?!

• Jessica — July 21st, 2011 @ 9:30 am

Thanks Katie!! Trader Joe’s is in East Liberty (on Penn Avenue), right past Bakery Square. I hear they are opening a new one in Upper St Clair too!

• Katie — July 21st, 2011 @ 5:52 pm

Thanks for the info! I’ll definitely be checking it out :)

kaceyt @ om&nom — July 21, 2011 @ 8:28 am

these look fabulous! why haven’t i made these yet? i’m seeing some w/ peanut butter in there too!

• Jessica — July 21st, 2011 @ 9:29 am

Didn’t even think of that. Oh man. SO good.

Joanna Sutter — July 21, 2011 @ 8:29 am

YOU = AMAZING!

Doing this.

Angela (Oh She Glows) — July 21, 2011 @ 8:30 am

These are so cute! And why don’t we have TJ’s in Canada yet?

• Jessica — July 21st, 2011 @ 9:28 am

Seriously! I feel for you!

Amber — July 21, 2011 @ 8:36 am

the only problem with the pint of ice cream is you really can’t get very far w/o a spoon :)

nancy — July 21, 2011 @ 8:38 am

These look & taste so yummy! I have eaten these treats from TJ’s! So happy that I can make my own!
    Thanks for sharing!! Love your blog!

Maryea {Happy Healthy Mama} — July 21, 2011 @ 8:45 am

I’ve never seen these at TJ’s but they look amazing. They would be dangerous at this house!

Lynne @ 365 Days of Baking — July 21, 2011 @ 8:49 am

I’m wondering how long the finish products lasted. ;-)
    They are quite delicious looking morsels!

• Jessica — July 21st, 2011 @ 9:28 am

Hahah I suggest only making a few at a time… that way you don’t consume 20 in a sitting.

brandi — July 21, 2011 @ 8:55 am

well it’s probably a good thing i haven’t seen these at trader joe’s yet. but yum! they look awesome!

Kristen @ notsodomesticated — July 21, 2011 @ 9:06 am

I really want to be your friend. I’d probably gain 50 pounds, but I would be OK with that! ;)

Laura McNamara — July 21, 2011 @ 9:14 am

wow wow wow, It’s only 9:15 this morning and I am dying to just leave work, go home and make these IMMEDIATLY. So easy and yet I am sure they taste perfect. And what a beautiful presentation. I will absolutely be making these this week :)

DessertForTwo — July 21, 2011 @ 9:15 am

We are so addicted to the smashing s’mores! I never thought to make my own! My only problem with the TJ ones is that the graham cracker is a little soggy on the bottom. I bet making them from scratch fixes that!
    I have to have these at my next girls’ night out!!

• Jessica — July 21st, 2011 @ 9:27 am

Wow really?? My grahams from TJ’s definitely weren’t soggy – I couldn’t believe how crispy they were! But alas… this way your grahams will always be crunchy. :)

kate — July 21, 2011 @ 9:17 am

yum these look amazing I havent heard of smashing smores but im making these asap!

Liz @ IHeartVegetables — July 21, 2011 @ 9:17 am

This is so freaking adorable! I have to make these!

Anne @ Baking Me — July 21, 2011 @ 9:19 am

What a great idea! These looks so good, I’d love to try them :)

Melanie — July 21, 2011 @ 9:19 am

I love s’mores so much that I have a bag containing all the ingredients that I take with me every time I leave the house……..ok, not to work….I’m actually not THAT pathetic, but when we go anywhere fun, like my mom’s house, or on vacation, or to the lake, or, the backyard. Ok, so I’m a little pathetic.

• Jessica — July 21st, 2011 @ 9:26 am

Um, no… you are amazing. And fun!

faith — July 21, 2011 @ 9:24 am

What do you find is the best way to just straight up melt a chocolate bar or chocolate chips, like in this recipe?

• Jessica — July 21st, 2011 @ 9:26 am

It depends, sometimes I use a double boiler but other times I just use the microwave. If I use the microwave I usually melt for 30 seconds, then stir, then do it in 30 second increments until fully melted.

natalie (the sweets life) — July 21, 2011 @ 9:28 am

keep the s’mores treats coming! I am obsessed!! :)

ps. you rule

Kelley @ Just Call Me Jack — July 21, 2011 @ 9:41 am

Oh my gosh, these look divine. I could eat these right now… for breakfast.

Because just like I’ve never (cough, cough) finished a half a bag of peanut lovers chex mix before I got it home… I’ve also never (cough, cough) eaten dessert for breakfast.

It would be a wonderful thing to try, I believe (wink, wink)

KC Quaretti — July 21, 2011 @ 9:42 am

My oh my you are a genious! These look so easy really and absolutely delicious! Just posted the recipe for S’more Chocolate Cake at KCintheKitchen…guess I’m not the only one absessed with s’mores! Really enjoyed this post and I’ll be back often!!!
    KC

Cait's Plate — July 21, 2011 @ 9:43 am

You need to open a bakery and I need to come work for you and eat all the yummy leftovers :)

These are amazing Jessica! I know I always say that but you should see how I read your posts – mouth open, jaw dropped, drooling. So, so, so yum.

• Jessica — July 21st, 2011 @ 10:23 am

Hahahah! Thanks girl.

Andrea @ Vegvacious — July 21, 2011 @ 9:51 am

I rip into my goods pretty much the second I drive out of the grocery store parking lot. Grocery Shopping + Hungry Girl = trouble!! It drives my husband crazy! These look awesome!!!

Bianca @ Confessions of a Chocoholic — July 21, 2011 @ 9:55 am

I love those smashing smores!

1 2 3

1. Pingback: Recipe: S’mores S’mores S’mores | HIPLIP

2. Pingback: Favorites Friday: My Favorite Posts of the Week | The Journey to Marvelous

3. Pingback: S’mores Remixed « Family Times

4. Pingback: S’more Babies « om&nom

5. Pingback: Random Monday Items « The Triple Dish

6. Pingback: Dinner Club |

7. Pingback: Weekend Recap |

8. Pingback: Inside Out S’mores « From the Bookshelf

9. Pingback: Monthly chai date

10. Pingback: my favorite things from trader joe’s part 2 | between breakfast and lunch.