Have you ever bought something… say, like a package of cookies… or a pint of phish food ice cream… or a bag of peanut butter m&m’s… or a container of smashing s’mores from Trader Joe’s… and ripped into the stash before you could even unload the rest of your groceries? Like say… in the car?

Homemade Smashing S'mores I howsweeteats.com

And maybe even… eaten the entire bag/pint/container… ? No?

Neither have I.

Phew. Glad we got that out of the way and realized that we have yet another thing in common. This is the best relationship ever. Communication people. It’s all about communication.

Homemade Smashing S'mores I howsweeteats.com

So, since I still have the entire container left *cough cough* of those Trader Joe’s smashing s’mores that I bought last weekend, I decided to recreate them in anticipation for the day when I eventually do *cough cough* run out. I like to plan ahead. Get all my ducks in a row if you know what I’m saying.

Homemade Smashing S'mores I howsweeteats.com

And you know I love a good s’more, well… a good s’more ANYTHING. If deemed appropriate I’d gladly just shove one marshmallow (okay, maybe two), a chunk of chocolate, and a graham cracker in my mouth then breathe really heavy to make it warm and chew. Don’t be grossed out. S’mores are messy. It’s just their thing.

Homemade Smashing S'mores I howsweeteats.com

I don’t really know why Trader Joe (he is a person right?!) calls these little s’more bites “smashing,” but I like it and I like him. And I like everything else he makes. So you should make a smashing s’more. It’s cute. It’s slightly bigger than bite-size. It’s the perfect size that looks like it will fit in your mouth but then when you actually try you make a huge arse out of yourself because you have to open your mouth as wide as possible and then try to chew and yeah… you know. But it is 100% worth it because these are awesome and even better – you can make one or seven or 39 at a time. Oh! And they are easy too. Easy peasy.

If you really want to go all out, you could make your own graham crackers like my friend Ashley once did and then make your own marshmallows too. This way you could make even tinier smashing s’mores (but um… why would you want to?) and ones more uniform in size that can actually fit in your mouth. And maybe you could have a bit more patience than me and make them prettier so they aren’t a slop pile mess.

Homemade Smashing S'mores I howsweeteats.com

I personally think they are the perfect snack to mindlessly pop while you watch Teen Mom and that other really intellectual show that makes you use your brain. Oh and if you want to pop this in the microwave? You are smart. Do your thang. I approve.

I’m blurry. Don’t mind me. My photographer was too busy chewing.

Smashing S’mores

copied after Trader Joe’s smashing s’mores

makes however many you want

marshmallows

graham crackers

chocolate chips or bar chocolate, melted

Melt a tiny bowl of chocolate to use as “glue.” Melt more chocolate (I used about 1 cup of chocolate chips) in a deep glass or mug to make it easy for dipping.

Break grahams into fours, then cut or snap each slice into squares. Use a dab of chocolate to “glue” the squares together, then add one more dab on top of the top graham and press the marshmallow down. Let sit for 30-60 minutes (or place in the fridge for about 15 if impatient) or until the grahams and marshmallows are “stuck” together. Using a thin fork or long pointy tool (I used a fondue dipped) and press it into the top of the marshmallow gently. Dip it in the chocolate and cover as much as you can. Remove and let set on wax paper, adding more chocolate to the top if you’d like.

I stored mine in the fridge but they are fine at room temperature too!

Homemade Smashing S'mores I howsweeteats.com

If smashing s’mores aren’t your thing, then maybe you can make some brownies or bars or throw s’mores in a jar or even make a pie. And if s’mores just aren’t your thing, well then… I don’t even know you anymore.

144 Responses to “Homemade Smashing S’mores.”

Casey @ Pocket Full of Sunshine — July 21, 2011 @ 9:58 am

Yum. :)

Ann Claire — July 21, 2011 @ 10:00 am

Yum! I need these in my life.

Jill — July 21, 2011 @ 10:08 am

I saw someone mention cutting the marshmallows in half to make them easier to eat, but you’ll never guess what I found in the store the other day. STACKABLE MARSHMALLOWS! The are flat and square for easier smore’s consumption!

• Jessica — July 21st, 2011 @ 10:22 am

Ah seriously?! I need those!

• Beth — July 21st, 2011 @ 10:37 am

What store did you see those stackable ones in? I’d love to get this!

Laura (Cookies vs. Carrots) — July 21, 2011 @ 10:09 am

These are so cute! Put in a cute little bag, they would make great party favors or gifts!

Jill — July 21, 2011 @ 10:09 am

*s’mores (apostrophe in the wrong place) oops!

Kelly @ Laughter, Strength, and Food — July 21, 2011 @ 10:16 am

I love your obsession with S’mores! :-)

Bev Weidner — July 21, 2011 @ 10:17 am

Nibble, nibble. Snuggle snuggle. Love, love.

Gwen — July 21, 2011 @ 10:20 am

I love these little gems from Trader Joe’s and was just thinking they would be easy to recreate! Thank you for showing me the way!

Karly — July 21, 2011 @ 10:23 am

Well, those pretty much look amazing.

Shanna, Like Banana — July 21, 2011 @ 10:43 am

I picutre your house like the willy wonka factory..or at least your kitchen because everything you produce is sweet perfection!

Erin — July 21, 2011 @ 10:46 am

How could anyone not love s’mores?

Kristen — July 21, 2011 @ 10:53 am

Thank you for recreating those tasty little treasures! They are a staple on all of my TJ’s trips and I never thought about making them myself. As always…YOU ROCK!

shannon — July 21, 2011 @ 11:03 am

these. look. awesome.

Jodi @ Southern Flavored Life — July 21, 2011 @ 11:06 am

I’ll skip the home-made grahams and the home-made marshallows because I need to eat these as quickly as possible!

Heather @ Get Healthy With Heather — July 21, 2011 @ 11:06 am

So cute! I’m glad you prepped ahead… You know for all of us :)

Kelsey — July 21, 2011 @ 11:11 am

Mmm, s’mores! I need more of these in my life. :) These are adorable!

Have you ever made s’meeps? My family keeps stashes of marshmallow peeps so we can roast them over a fire and make s’mores with them. The caramelized sugar works wonders!

Aine @ Something to Chew Over — July 21, 2011 @ 11:32 am

These look so good. Seriously good!

Joelle (On A Pink Typewriter) — July 21, 2011 @ 11:39 am

Oh good God- that looks incredible! I looooooove Smores, and this would be the perfect snack for the movies or anytime you’re not at a campsite basically.. love.

Lisa — July 21, 2011 @ 11:42 am

i agree! anything by trader joe’s is usually absolutely DELICIOUS! I hear they have a chocolate molten lava cake thing (haha dont know the exact name apparently :P) thats rediculously good. I have yet to buy it ( i know, shame on me) but I want to!!
    these are a really cute idea! I havent seen the smashing s’mores at my TJ’s yet. your TJ’s must be better than mine :(
    ahaha at least I can make them at home though :)

• Lora — July 22nd, 2011 @ 9:42 am

They usually have them up by the register, or up above in the frozen aisle. I want to try them!!

Carissa — July 21, 2011 @ 12:05 pm

S’mores are totally my thing. The only thing that might make this even better is to add a layer of peanut butter in there. Mmmmm!

Katie D — July 21, 2011 @ 12:11 pm

So glad you posted this! I ran to Trader Joe’s on Sunday and searched up and down every aisle looking for the smashing s’mores, just to find that they were out of them. I was bummed!! But I probably would have ate the entire container on the drive home, too… :)

Ashley — July 21, 2011 @ 12:18 pm

hahahaha love the “i’m blurry…” photo :) They look freaking amazing! I will trade you these for donuts!

Maggie @ A Bitchin' Kitchen — July 21, 2011 @ 12:24 pm

Seriously drooling over here. I want these in my mouth right now.

Rosa - Fitness, Food, Fulfilled — July 21, 2011 @ 12:37 pm

Drooling! S’mores are my favorite. I’m thinking of making them two ways; milk and dark chocolate. Is using a chocolate graham cracker for some of them a little over the top? Nah.

carolyn — July 21, 2011 @ 12:54 pm

We have S’more Saturday Night as a tradition in the summer. We love them!

CouponClippingCook — July 21, 2011 @ 1:12 pm

Sounds super easy and quick…and they are so cute.

Coryn — July 21, 2011 @ 1:24 pm

My husband insists that S’mores are exclusively a fall tradition. You know what I say? Nothing, because I usually already have them shoved in my mouth in “chubby bunny” fashion. Also, I plan to try and make some s’mores ghetto-style by simply throwing my marshmallows on the grill for a minute. Should be fun to clean up lol

Jaimee H. — July 21, 2011 @ 1:47 pm

OK, I just made these 7 Crackers Keebler® Grahams Original
    2 1/2 cups miniature marshmallows
    1 package (12 oz., 2 cups) semi-sweet chocolate morsels
    2/3 cup light corn syrup
    3 tablespoons butter or margarine
    1/2 cup crunchy peanut butter
    3 cups Ready-To-Eat Cereal Rice Krispies®
    Why use Kellogg’s® Rice Krispies®?

Why use Kellogg’s® Rice Krispies®?As the first crisped rice cereal, Kellogg’s® Rice Krispies® has been bringing families together in the kitchen for over 80 years.
    To experience the timeless flavor, make your Rice Krispies Treats® squares with the original Rice Krispies® brand cereal.
    Where to buy

1. Coat 13 x 9 x 2-inch microwave-safe dish with cooking spray. Arrange KEEBLER GRAHAMS ORIGINAL crackers in single layer in dish, breaking crackers as needed to fit. Sprinkle marshmallows evenly over crackers.

2. Microwave on HIGH 1 minute or until marshmallows are puffy. Remove from microwave. Cool completely.

3. In 2-quart microwave-safe mixing bowl combine chocolate morsels, corn syrup and butter. Microwave on HIGH about 1 1/2 minutes or until chocolate is melted, stirring every 30 seconds. Stir in peanut butter. Add KELLOGG’S RICE KRISPIES cereal, mixing until combined.

4. Spread evenly over marshmallows. Cover and refrigerate about 1 hour or until firm. Cut and store in airtight container in refrigerator.

CONVENTIONAL DIRECTIONS:
    Follow step 1 above using 13 x 9 x 2-inch baking dish coated with cooking spray. Bake at 375°F about 7 minutes or until marshmallows are puffy. Cool completely. In medium saucepan combine chocolate morsels, corn syrup and butter. Cook stirring constantly, over medium-low heat until melted. Remove from heat. Stir in peanut butter. Add KELLOGG’S RICE KRISPIES cereal, mixing until combined. Complete as in step 4 above.

Recipe is from RiceKrispies.com and they are called chocolate yummies – and they were quite delicious and smores like. I used the flat marshmallows that someone else mentioned. I live in MN and found them at Cub Foods. :)

KosherCorvid — July 21, 2011 @ 2:27 pm

Oh wow. Now what if one were to smash some graham crackers and melt the marshmallows and stir them together before dipping in chocolate? Too much work? Or would it be awesome? My project for tomorrow, for sure!

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) — July 21, 2011 @ 2:37 pm

Those are so cool!!!!

Chad Marano — July 21, 2011 @ 2:51 pm

Heaven! I would love to make these but here in Denver there are no Trader Joe’s. Any alternative suggestions?

• Jessica — July 21st, 2011 @ 4:31 pm

You don’t need anything from Trader Joe’s to make these!

Paige @ Running Around Normal — July 21, 2011 @ 3:48 pm

Wow…fastest way of making a smore ever. Breathing heavy. That’s even faster (and a little less messy, heyo!) than cupping a marshmallow, chocolate, and graham cracker inbetween the palms!

tiffiny — July 21, 2011 @ 4:00 pm

YUM! i just ate a smore….but then i saw these and was disappointed with my smore!! i’ll have to do these next time :)

Susan — July 21, 2011 @ 4:24 pm

In Australia we do the same but for the glue we use a dollop of jam (i think maybe you guys call is jelly) – like a strawberry jam or something simular – taste awesome!

Tulika — July 21, 2011 @ 4:37 pm

oh. em. gee. this is amazing!!!! i’m pretty obsessed with TJ’s smashing s’mores as well.

Clare — July 21, 2011 @ 5:03 pm

Completely mouth-watering! I just got back from camp and had s’mores overload there. What a wonderful dilemma to have.

Katie — July 21, 2011 @ 6:08 pm

I eat in the car almost everytime I go to the grocery store. In fact, I make it a point to pick up something snacky that I CAN and WILL tear into the moment I get my groceries loaded into the trunk.

Also, I haven’t had a smore all summer. That must change.

And I made your ‘roasted potatoes to change your life’ last night and they were a major hit. You are the best.

• Jan — July 21st, 2011 @ 6:38 pm

Pleasseeeeeeeeeee stop! Lol I am begging you! Love love your blog <3

Dee at Deelicious Sweets — July 21, 2011 @ 7:47 pm

Holy yum! Why didn’t I ever think of this. Gosh, I am totally having a slap on my head type of week. Thanks for sharing these “smashing” smores. I feel like I have to talk like a rich person when I use the word “smashing”…. “They’re smashing, darling, just smashing”. Did you hear it? Did my accent come through?

Tracy — July 21, 2011 @ 7:48 pm

These are cute! Anything s’mores sounds good to me!!

The Slow Roasted Italian — July 21, 2011 @ 8:00 pm

These look exactly like what I have been looking for ALL day!!! YUM!

Wei-Wei — July 21, 2011 @ 8:28 pm

Ever seen those “Jet-Puffed” marshmallows which are shaped like slabs especially for s’more-making? I saw them on my recent visit to the USA and I was completely fascinated. What about SLABS of homemade smashing s’mores?

(Is it obvious that I smile with glee at the thought of slabs and slabs of marshmallows forming a great cloud-like pyramid in Egypt? I think I just like the word slab.)

ali — July 21, 2011 @ 9:41 pm

i went to a phish festival [superball ix] over fourth of july weekend and the ben + jerrys tent was there. they were giving out phish food and let me tell you, after a few too many ithacas, wow. just wow. forget getting back to the campgrounds, you were sitting in front of the ferris wheel enjoying this crazy delicious party in your mouth.

Christina @ This Woman Cooks! — July 21, 2011 @ 9:43 pm

I think I laughed out loud throughout your entire post. I don’t just come on here for your amazing-crazy-delicious-creations-that-I-don’t-know-how-you-do-it-stuff, but for your…humor. :)

Heather of Kitchen Concoctions — July 21, 2011 @ 10:36 pm

I also have a major addiction to S’mores! So glad to know I am not alone. These look perfect! Oh and I wish I had a Trader Joes near me so I could try their version, but I guess I will just have to make them at home!

Hayley — July 21, 2011 @ 11:02 pm

I’m a new reader and I just wanted to say three things: 1) Your blog is amazing and I can’t stop obsessively going through all of your archives to read old posts 2) I loved reading about your career change from personal trainer to writer–very inspiring and 3) Keep doing what you’re doing because you’re awesome at it!

Kathleen — July 22, 2011 @ 12:24 am

Oh wow! I love me some s’mores! These look really yummy!

Nindya — July 22, 2011 @ 12:40 am

I wanna ask about how to melt a chocolate? Hehehe I know it’s a silly question, but I’m afraid to make mistakes. Can you give me steps to melt a chocolate? Thank you and Have a nice day

Jennifer@MotherThyme — July 22, 2011 @ 12:57 am

I love these! We have been on a S’mores kick this summer so this is right up our alley! My husband is going to love these too. I can’t wait to show him this! :)

Amy — July 22, 2011 @ 1:43 am

I just made these mini size for my kids. Dipped mini mellows in chocolate then in gram cracker crumbs. They are sooo cute. Kids loved them.

thehealthyapron — July 22, 2011 @ 8:44 am