I currently have the world’s worst sunburn.

Well, that’s probably a lie. I slightly dramatize every single aspect of my life and my red forehead, chest and shoulders are taking the heat today. Literally. But I went walking without any sunscreen on (stupid stupid!) yesterday and let me tell you… not a wise choice for someone who could be passed off as a True Blood extra.

That really has nothing to do with these fruit pizzas I want to re-shove in my face, but I needed to get it off my chest. No… really… someone get this sunburn off my chest.  Or else I will complain for the next 96 hours.

So. I like pizza. I like fruit. You probably like pizza and fruit too. I like eating cute little things. Mainly because you can eat a lot more and it doesn’t count. But you already knew that. Just felt like it was worth repeating after we took down an entire box of Trader Joe’s vanilla bon bons in less than two minutes last night.

But I neeeeeed this pizza today. I seriously do. See all the e’s? I’m needy. I need you. In fact, I need you to come make this pizza for me. Maybe we can eat it together… ? I’ll pay you in aloe vera rubs. That sounds nice… for me.

I knocked this idea off of my traditional fruit pizza that is a scrumptious sugar bomb.

I love that stuff. But I love these better. They are cuter. Prettier. Tinier. Mini-er. More lovable and slightly better for your waistline. I like.

And you get to eat a giant biscuit-like cookie that is… whole wheat. Win!

Personal Pan Fruit Pizzas with Whole Wheat Cinnamon Sugared Crust

[crust adapted from food.com]

makes 4 pizzas

1 1/4 cups whole wheat pastry flour

1 teaspoon baking powder

3 tablespoons brown sugar

1/4 teaspoon salt

1/4 teaspoon cinnamon

1/3 cup milk

2 tablespoons olive oil

3/4 cup whipped cream cheese

1 tablespoon brown sugar

assorted fruit: blueberries, raspberries, strawberries, peaches, kiwi, bananas, etc.

2 tablespoons sugar + 2 teaspoons cinnamon for cinnamon sugar

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

In a bowl, mix flour, baking powder, 3 tablespoons brown sugar, salt, cinnamon and stir. Make a well in the middle and add olive oil and milk, mixing with a spoon until a ball forms. Using your hands, combine it until it comes together and shape it into a ball. Separate it into 4 equal sections (I actually used a kitchen scale and portioned it into 2.5 ounce balls of dough), then using a rolling pin or even your hands, flatten and shape it into a small circle. Mine were 3 1/2 – 4 inches in diameter. Rub each side with cinnamon sugar and place on a baking sheet. Bake for 10 minutes, remove from oven and let cool completely.

While crusts are cooling, mix cream cheese and brown sugar until combined and creamy. Chop fruit of your choice. Once crusts have cooled completely, spread each with a few tablespoons of cream cheese and top with fruit. I like the idea of having a dessert pizza “bar” and allowing everyone to make their own.

Note: this crust results in a more biscuit-like crust. The pizzas can be made ahead of time, however the crust will soften a lot in the fridge. It still tastes delicious and we ate one the next day.

Ouch.

168 Responses to “Personal Pan Fruit Pizzas with Whole Wheat Cinnamon Sugared Crust.”

Mackenzie@The Caramel Cookie — July 18, 2011 @ 8:23 pm

Yum! Such a great summer time dessert:).

Alaina — July 18, 2011 @ 8:35 pm

These look adorable! Perfect for breakfast…or dessert. :-)

Jenna — July 18, 2011 @ 9:02 pm

These are the cutest, most amazing looking creations ever! I had forgotten about fruit pizza until my aunt made it a few weekends back for a family gathering!

Emily @ Comfortable Home Life — July 18, 2011 @ 9:14 pm

Sunburns are the WORST! I had one on the back of my legs a few weeks ago. Hands down the most terrible place to have a sunburn. I was limping around for days. I hope you feel better soon!

LOVE the colors in your photographs! Looks so tasty!

Erin — July 18, 2011 @ 9:32 pm

These photographs are B-E-A-U-tiful!

Becki@beckiswholelife — July 18, 2011 @ 10:11 pm

Sorry about your sunburn. These are adorable. Would be fun for the kiddos to put together. if you did the cookie and the cream…although they might just eat that and forget the fruit…ok, never mind. These look awesome though!

foodwanderings — July 18, 2011 @ 11:09 pm

love it cinnamon and sugar sprinkled crust and fruit. yum!

Laura — July 19, 2011 @ 12:23 am

I have just completed the How Sweet Marathon! I kid you not! Over the past 3 days your blog has been my go to leisure activity…and if you ask my hubby there was more leisure than anything else in the past 3 days!
    Words cannot express how much I love your blog! Your writing is fantastic, the photo’s are fabulous and the ideas are sometimes outrageous, but more often than not made me wonder “now, why didn’t I think of that!”
    You are the first person I have “met” besides my daughter that has a bacon infatuation…as a matter of fact bacon is the reason our Miss Megs deemed herself and meatatarian at the ripe old age of 4!
    Keep doing what you are doing Jess! You light up my days!
    Now if only we had a Trader Joe’s or access to some of your ingredients up here in Canada!

• Jessica — July 19th, 2011 @ 6:35 am

What a lovely comment to wake up to! Thank you so much!

Cookin' Canuck — July 19, 2011 @ 1:08 am

This would be such a fun make-together dessert at a backyard barbecue. Fun idea!

Diane {Created by Diane} — July 19, 2011 @ 2:02 am

These look fantastic, and so colorful!!!

Sabrina @ Radioactive Runner — July 19, 2011 @ 8:14 am

these look soooo good. they would be perfect for a dessert after a bbq.. or good for breakfast or lunch too…. i’d eat these babies any time of day!

Sandra — July 19, 2011 @ 9:04 am

Coolness!

Amanda — July 19, 2011 @ 9:15 am

Love it!

Stephanie @cookinfanatic — July 19, 2011 @ 9:20 am

Hello to the prettiest food pics I’ve seen all week (month?) !!!!! Gorgeous, and just delicious looking times a million.

• Jessica — July 19th, 2011 @ 10:09 am

Thanks friend!

Leslie — July 19, 2011 @ 11:05 am

I love the bowl with the National Flour stamp on the inside …. Are they old, new? Where did you get them?

• Jessica — July 19th, 2011 @ 12:20 pm

New! Got them at Kohls. 60% off… they were seriously only a few dollars.

Ann — July 19, 2011 @ 11:49 am

You’re right…those ARE cuter and I bet they taste WAY better! Fruit pizza has needed a makeover for some time! I hope your sunburn heals quickly!

Kat @ Living Like the Kings — July 19, 2011 @ 12:10 pm

Do you spend $5M /month on groceries? These look amazing but berries are so freakin’ expensive around these here New England parts…

• Jessica — July 19th, 2011 @ 12:18 pm

Hahahaha no way! I mentioned it in a post last week that I ended up with 6 pints of berries – they were all buy 1, get 1 free. :)

Jen — July 19, 2011 @ 3:03 pm

This looks so delicious!!! I’m trying it this weekend. Yum.

Mike @ How To Make A Smoothie At Home — July 19, 2011 @ 3:06 pm

Fruit Pizza Yum!! Thanks for the great ideas!!

thehealthyapron — July 19, 2011 @ 3:44 pm

might make this wednesday night for a potluck on thursday!

Krista {Budget Gourmet Mom} — July 19, 2011 @ 4:59 pm

Oh. My. Goodness. Gorgeous. What a beautiful dessert to serve to guests or just a little self indulgence!

Bethany @ Accidental Intentions — July 19, 2011 @ 7:42 pm

Ohhhh baby do these look fantastic. I’m obsessed with fruit pizza.

Char — July 19, 2011 @ 9:16 pm

I would gladly rub aloe vera on you for this pizza…is that weird girl-to-girl? Men would probably say no. I would most likely treat this pizza as dinner instead of dessert though, since it is technically pizza. Then I’d treat it as breakfast and lunch. It’s a good thing you made this pizza and not me!

Jennifer @ Mother Thyme — July 20, 2011 @ 2:55 pm

Hi! This recipe looks amazing! It is definitely going on my to make list. I just got my twins down for a nap and I was going to relax in the sun for a few minutes but I hope I don’t get a sunburn too, ouch! Maybe I should just stay in and keep reading your amazing blog! Love it!!! :)

• Jessica — July 20th, 2011 @ 3:16 pm

Thanks Jennifer!

Megan @ Sweet B's Homemade — July 20, 2011 @ 8:07 pm

Love it! The individual sizes are super cute! YUM!!

Tracy — July 20, 2011 @ 9:18 pm

Love, love love this! All that luscious fruit on top is calling my name!

lizzie — July 25, 2011 @ 3:03 pm

I made these this past weekend, not only were they pretty but they were easy to make and so so delicious! thanks for posting :)

Meghan — July 26, 2011 @ 3:24 pm

Love these! Would I be able to make this from break and bake sugar cookies? Add anything? (I’m always looking for steps to cut out, haha)

Miranda Grimm — July 29, 2011 @ 1:34 pm

That looks SSSOOO good! My sister makes these only not in whole wheat and not with cinnamon! I will have to share with her!

a spoonful of yumm — July 31, 2011 @ 6:24 am

i love love your creative ideas ! truly enjoy reading your blog & seeing the gorgeous pictures :-)

Z — August 1, 2011 @ 4:16 pm

So i’m a college student, not quite the chef material, made these, they are awesome. Didn’t have a rolling pin so mine were probably thicker than yours lol.

Great Recipe, THANKS :D

Mollie — August 6, 2011 @ 11:47 pm

I tried these tonight as the dessert I promised at a dinner party. They are fab! So light, sweet and delicious. Thank you!

Z — August 26, 2011 @ 3:40 am

College student, made these, they were the best. So think’s the girl I made them for :D

sophistimom — August 29, 2011 @ 12:17 pm

Scrumptious. I love how you piled the fruit so high. My kids would go crazy for these.

Sam Lawson — July 16, 2012 @ 7:41 am

The personal pan fruit pizza looks Yummy! Can you freeze the dough? thaw and make at a later date..

1. Pingback: Dark Chocolate, Peanut Butter, Banana Healthy Dessert Pizza Recipe — Family Fresh Cooking

2. Pingback: Stop what you’re doing and look at this! « kerrycooks