I’m going a little crazy with feta… and tzatziki… and Greek stuff in general.

Have you noticed? Didn’t think so. I know I tend to fly under the radar like that.

Maybe I was Greek in my previous life? Because I really can see myself laying on a sparkling beach with a dark Adonis-like fellow and drinking wine while using a sand shovel to eat baklava. I can see how you might be confused as well, because sitting on a couch in a Pennsylvania suburb with my Adonis-like, red-headed husband watching Despicable Me is almostexactlythesame.

Hello you big bowlful of deliciousness.

I have a legitimate problem on my hands. I, for the life of me, cannot stop making the creamy feta. I make it at least once a week (sometimes twice) and always have it in the fridge because it’s so fabulous as a snack, on sandwiches, on bagels, and on, well… everything.

The only reason this poses a snafu in my little life is because if you are unaware, blocks of feta aren’t the most economical purchase I can make at my local grocery store. And when you’re buying two blocks… and sometimes four blocks a week… yeah. It’s a bit excessive. There I said it.

So what’s a feta freak to do?

Find a reason to buy even more of it at the store. And layer it up with a bunch of other Greek stuff like olives and artichokes and hummus. I’m obviously getting to know my Greek food, with all these fancy words like “stuff.” Someone get this girl a thesaurus. Sheesh.

Over Memorial Day weekend, my aunt made a delicious layered dip quite similar and it has been on my mind ever since. And then the feta ensued and now I have what appears to be 13 pounds of layered Greek dip in my fridge. HOW DOES THIS HAPPEN?! Send help.

I’m going to take a dip.

Seven Layer Greek Dip

makes one giant bowlful, probably serves over 10 people

1 1/2 cups hummus of your choice

1 15-ounce can of kalamata olives, drained and chopped

1 15-ounce can of artichoke hearts, drained and chopped

1 large tomato, chopped

1/2 large cucumber, peeled and chopped

1 batch of creamy feta (or 4 ounces of plain feta, crumbled)

1 1/3 cups greek yogurt

3 tablespoons fresh dill

1 teaspoon olive oil

3 tablespoons chopped cucumber

1 garlic clove, minced

salt and pepper

Begin by prepping the ingredients for the creamy feta, if needed and set aside.

In a bowl, combine yogurt, dill, garlic, 3 tablespoons of cucumber, olive oil and a sprinkle of salt and pepper and mix. Grab a large bowl or plate and begin layering ingredients: the yogurt tzatziki, the chopped olives, the hummus, the chopped artichoke hearts, the crazy feta, and the tomatoes and cucumber. You can layer it however you’d like and use other ingredients to make it your own. I did sprinkle my cucumber and tomato with some salt and pepper for flavor, but the rest of the dip was VERY flavorful since I used the crazy feta. Serve with pita chips or use in wraps and sandwiches.

Note: if you want to make this dip even more enjoyable, you could add some ground lamb!

P.S. This is totally healthy too. Like… REAL healthy. Not it-has-nuts-which-have-protein-so-I-pretend-it’s-healthy healthy. That’s a good thing. Now go buy two full bags of pita chips to devour it with. You’ll want – I mean, need – both bags. Trust me.

181 Responses to “Seven Layer Crazy Greek Dip.”

CouponClippingCook — July 7, 2011 @ 1:08 am

Seriously….I could totally eat this for breakfast, lunch and dinner! Your pictures are great too!

Tracy — July 7, 2011 @ 1:31 am

This sounds like something I have to have in my face right now! I love everything about this dip (or I should say everything that is in this dip) and my husband I have been obsessed with tzatziki sauce recently. I rarely make the same thing two weeks in a row, but Gyros were made in the house two weeks in a row and we both loved them, but the tzatziki sauce was the star. I’m pretty sure I will be buying this stuff at the store tomorrow and eating it all by tomorrow night. lol.

Jen @ keepitsimplefoods — July 7, 2011 @ 7:38 am

Brilliant idea! Love that you made this into a dip. :)

Julie F. — July 7, 2011 @ 8:22 am

LOL at “you’ll need both bags” I’ve told you this before, but I love your writing style! I actually laugh out loud reading your blog. I feel like we could be friends :) Also, the dip sounds AMAZING!

• Jessica — July 7th, 2011 @ 8:47 am

Thanks Julie!

Katie — July 7, 2011 @ 8:58 am

This is a brilliant idea. I’m going to try it this week. Everytime I read about crazy feta I decide that I have to make it, so maybe this is the push I need :)

Liz — July 7, 2011 @ 9:25 am

That looks delicious!!! I can’t wait to make it…great idea!

Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction — July 7, 2011 @ 10:01 am

LOVE this! It looks delicious and healthy… Perfect light summer snack. And, just have to say, your photos are really stunning on this post! Love the ingredients shots.

• Jessica — July 7th, 2011 @ 11:27 am

Thanks so much Jen!

Amanda Marie — July 7, 2011 @ 10:05 am

This looks amazing!!

Suzanne — July 7, 2011 @ 10:10 am

This recipe looks fabulous. You had a blog re-design since I’ve been here last and it looks great.

• Jessica — July 7th, 2011 @ 11:26 am

Thanks Suzanne!

Kalyn — July 7, 2011 @ 11:29 am

How can this not taste amazing? I buy huge blocks of Feta at Costco and I’m always shocked how quickly they get used.

stampylisa — July 7, 2011 @ 12:01 pm

this is AWESOMENESS in a bowl!! my neighbor had a 7 layer greek dip from a local grocery store over the weekend and said it was like 11 bucks for the tray of it. I bet I can make it cheaper w/your recipe!! Thanks!!

Karen — July 7, 2011 @ 12:30 pm

Jessica,
    My family loves layered salads…this dip sounds delicious! Could a person add Romain lettuce between the layered ingredients? May have to have some additional yogurt mixture….what do you think? Your suggestions are very welcome! Please advise… I have a party scheduled soon, and I would love to try this. Thanks, for posting this recipe. Happy cooking!
    Karen

• Jessica — July 7th, 2011 @ 1:09 pm

I think that would probably would… the greek and hummus layers may be a bit heavy though? You may want to try a thin layer first.

Mari — July 7, 2011 @ 2:54 pm

Jessica, have you ever made spanakopita? Do you think Crazy Feta would be good in that, too? instead of boring old regular feta?

Erin — July 7, 2011 @ 3:44 pm

YUM!!!

Rachel Wilkerson — July 7, 2011 @ 4:06 pm

Oh my gosh, I want to frame your food photos! #creepy

Kristen Hess — July 7, 2011 @ 5:16 pm

This looks delicious! I love anything Greek – hummus, feta, olives, pita..YUM! Great post lady!

Amelia — July 7, 2011 @ 11:02 pm

This recipe looks awesome! I love the Greek spin as opposed to the traditional “tex-mex” version.

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) — July 8, 2011 @ 1:00 am

That dip sounds awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jenny — July 9, 2011 @ 10:01 am

Can’t wait to make this later for a BBQ tonight! Will let you know what everyone thinks!

• Jessica — July 9th, 2011 @ 10:36 am

Enjoy!

CAGirlGrilling — July 11, 2011 @ 4:25 pm

This looks so refreshing! Much lighter than the traditional seven-layer dip…

chef katrina — July 11, 2011 @ 11:53 pm

I have a question about the recipe for the dip…I bought the ingredients tonight, to make it tomorrow.
    I was looking over the recipe and you call for 1 batch crazy feta or 4oz. plain feta. But the crazy feta recipe calls for 2 8oz. blocks of feta. Could you clarify. Seems like the crazy feta will be ALOT more feta cheese.
    really looking forward to making this. Sounds SO good.

• Jessica — July 12th, 2011 @ 6:45 am

The crazy feta definitely makes more, but 4 ounces of feta works fine it the dip too – it’s up to you, a little more or less won’t ruin the recipe. Let me know how it is!

Shaina — July 12, 2011 @ 11:33 pm

I think I’m in love. I adore Greek food, and this is just brilliant.

Tracy — July 17, 2011 @ 2:47 pm

Sounds delicious! I love feta cheese so I know I would love this…especially with some warm pita for dipping, yum!

Kaitlyn — July 19, 2011 @ 9:01 am

I am addicted to your blog… and like you mentioned in your crazy feta post… I just can’t seem to get this idea of crazy feta out of my head, and am finally on the verge of making it!!

Ashmurph — July 19, 2011 @ 2:15 pm

In-case you ever aren’t feeling up to making the tzatsiki, Trader Joe’s has a fabulous one themselves! It has a black lid I think. My dad and I are obsessed with the stuff! We’ve made it ourselves, bought different kinds; its a problem. Its super easy to make, and I may have to make him this dip and knock his socks off haha! Not to mention it seems like a nice cool and refreshing dip for us Arizonians in our 118 degrees! Thanks for the post, it sounds simply amazing. =]

Claire — July 28, 2011 @ 1:18 pm

Making this today with Greek Style Burgers, CANNOT WAIT!

sophistimom — July 30, 2011 @ 7:43 pm

FABULOUS idea. You’re so clever. Why don’t I ever think of things like this?

Jseebald — September 9, 2011 @ 12:33 pm

I’m trying this dip on sunday to serve for the football game!! What a great healthy alternative!

Tanvee — October 31, 2011 @ 11:22 am

I made this dip on Friday and it was AMAZING! The flavours exploded, in a beautiful garlicy way <3

I love your blog, thanks for the great recipes. Keep up the excellent work Jessica!

Alexandra — November 3, 2011 @ 11:21 am

This looks amazing! Living in Greece, so this should be an easy “ingredient-getter”! Your pictures are beautiful!

Andrea @ The MF Dre — November 28, 2011 @ 5:11 pm

I pinned this recipe, Oh, well it looks like about 6 months ago now. Did it the day you posted it. I am FINALLY going to make it tonight and I am so.super.excited.
    You inspire me every day. Thank you!

MrsG — January 20, 2012 @ 5:42 pm

My sister in law made ths last night and it was AMAZING! I could eat it as a meal! Loved everything about it!

Lynn @ Order in the Kitchen — February 7, 2012 @ 8:45 pm

hey jess….i’ve got a lunch thing at work tomorrow and i’m bringing this…i was ripping my hair out about what i could bring that wouldn’t need to be heated back up (we only have a microwave)…just got all these ingredients…love this and you for giving it to us! <3 thanks jess… oh an ps i made your sweet potato fries tonight too…i'll tweet u a pic

Shilo — February 7, 2012 @ 9:33 pm

This dip was AMAZINGLY yummy! Thank you for a great recipe that tastes good and is super easy!

Laura King — February 11, 2012 @ 3:28 pm

Saw the Crazy Feta and 7 Layer Dip on Pinterest and repinned so I could serve at a wedding reception I’m catering this summer. I always do a trial run if I’ve never made something before, and Super Bowl Sunday was just the right event…pretty even number of men and women present. I was just going to serve the Crazy Feta, but at the last minute found out there was going to be a bigger crowd than I thought so with 45 minutes until the event and no groceries in the house, I went straight to the market for the ingredients to make it into the 7 layer dip. Problem was, the clock was ticking and there was no time for “pretty” or actual measuring, so I had to buy everything as close as I could to the correct amounts, throw it all in one big bowl and stir…OMG, I don’t think you can mess this up!! It was super delicious and men and women alike LOVED it. Had enough left over for a ladies craft night a couple of days later and they also were practically eating it with a spoon! I’m going to be keeping an eye on your creations :)

Christina — March 9, 2012 @ 10:14 pm

As a Greek woman who’s grown up ALWAYS having feta and olives in the fridge, this is something I am soooo freakin excited to make! And I know my best friend who has always opened up my fridge and helped herself to feta will enjoy this dip together with me :)
    Thanks for such an awesome idea!

Cat — April 23, 2012 @ 9:32 pm

Made this tonight and decided to mix it all up and top with diced tomatoes. I only used a portion of the olives and I think that I would pass on the olives next time (not a fan of them). Was pretty good considering I don’t like chick peas either. The olives were a pain (as I could not find that kind of olive without pits – took me a while to pit and dice them). I see the black olives come pitted already – would they be too strong? This made quite a bit – taking to work to see how the ladies like it. They are always crazy about hummus, so I’m sure they will like this. Wonder if it gets even better sitting over night?

Vicky — May 27, 2012 @ 6:41 pm

It looks amazingly delish!

Brittany — June 11, 2012 @ 10:34 pm

Had this dip at a blogger meet up yesterday and it was amazing!!

Talli — August 10, 2012 @ 4:53 am

Hi Jessica – just discovered your blog today. My husband wants to make the avo brownies.
    Great recipes and great writing. Looking forward to reading more.

Nicole — March 20, 2013 @ 2:21 pm

Def making this! What hummus flavor/brand taste best with this recipe/dip? Thanks!

Savannah — May 16, 2013 @ 12:08 pm

Hi Jessica!
    Just wanted to let you know I made your “crazy” feta this past weekend for a BBQ, and it was a hit! I can’t wait to make it again this week to use in the layered Greek dip.
    Also, I wanted to let you know I got my blocks of feta at Trader Joe’s for about $2.00 a block! A good deal when you’re making this stuff in bulk!
    Just a little tip from one feta lover to another! :)
    Savannah

Barbara Rice — June 23, 2014 @ 4:14 pm

I just made this and the Crazy Feta on Saturday night and people went WILD for it.
    I have posted both on my food blog and given you the credit and the glory. Keep on writing!