I know what you’re thinking.

Roasted Blueberry Cupcakes with Chocolate Fudge Frosting I howsweeteats.com

These sound really flippin’ weird.

And they kinda look weird too.

Roasted Blueberry Cupcakes with Chocolate Fudge Frosting I howsweeteats.com

It’s like Barney upchucked batter then baked it. But I promise! …. no food coloring. Really. These pretty [weird] little purple cakes are the result of roasting some blueberries until they burst and explode. Fun fun fun. And messy. Oh! And hot. RIP taste buds.

Remember when I made dark chocolate blueberry muffins? And remember when I fell in love with the whole blueberry + chocolate combination? And remember when I ate all of those muffins and didn’t share? And! Remember… remember when I mixed a small ramekin of hot fudge with blueberries and ate it as a snack??? I’m whispering.

No you don’t. Because I keep such dirty details of my private life private. I’m not a hussy. [But it was really good, FYI.]

Roasted Blueberry Cupcakes with Chocolate Fudge Frosting I howsweeteats.com

I was on a mission to create a blueberry cupcake – much like this strawberry cupcake – that was easily distinguishable from a muffin. I didn’t want to just plop some blue juicy berries into vanilla batter because that would be just like… breakfast. Seriously, we all know that muffins are just an excuse to eat cupcakes for the most important meal of day. The jig is up.

Roasted Blueberry Cupcakes with Chocolate Fudge Frosting I howsweeteats.com

So… I went the extra mile and roasted the heck out of my berries [thus creating a massive mess that is probably still hanging out on my stovetop while I float on a lake hundreds of miles away] and then stirred them into the batter, creating a bowl of purple people eaters. Look at me gettin’ all natural and stuff with fruit food colorings!

My mission was accomplished and these baby cakes turned out tasting entirely different than blueberry muffins. While they taste like blueberries, the flavor is deeper, more rich and almost velvety. They are not a sugary-sweet blueberry tasting cupcake. I totally would smash one of these right in your face and promise you’d love it.

Roasted Blueberry Cupcakes with Chocolate Fudge Frosting I howsweeteats.com

Roasted Blueberry Cupcakes

makes 12 cupcakes

1 cup white sugar

1/2 cup butter

2 eggs

2 teaspoons vanilla extract

1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour

1 1/4 teaspoon baking powder

1/4 teaspoon salt

1 1/2 cups fresh blueberries + a few additional ones rubbed with sugar for garnish

2-3 tablespoons milk, if needed (I used 2.)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

Spread blueberries on a baking sheet (with sides) and roast for 10-15 minutes, or until berries start to burst. Remove from oven and let cool.

Beat butter and sugar together in the bowl of an electric mixer until fluffy, about 4-5 minutes. Add eggs and vanilla extract and mix until combined, another 2-3 minutes. Add flour, baking powder and salt with the mixer on low speed, then gradually increase speed. Scrape in blueberries and beat on medium speed until the berries break down – about 2-3 minutes. At this point, the berries most likely have enough liquid that you only need to add a small amount of milk to the batter. Begin adding 1 tablespoon of milk at a time and beat with the mixer until the batter is smooth. You definitely want it to be cake batter and not dough.

Pour into cupcake liners, filling 2/3 of the way full, and bake for 18-22 minutes or until cake is set. Let cool completely, then frost.

Chocolate Fudge Buttercream

1 cup of butter (2 sticks), softened

3-4 cups of powdered sugar

1/3 cup cocoa powder (I used Hershey’s Dark, it’s what I had)

1 tablespoon vanilla extract

1/3 cup hot fudge sauce (at room temperature or cold, and using store bought is fine)

1-2 tablespoons milk, if needed

In the bowl of an electric mixer, beat butter until smooth. Gradually add in powdered sugar about 1/2 cup at a time with the mixer on low, increasing it to medium-high speed once all the sugar has been added. Add the cocoa, vanilla and hot fudge, and mix until completely combined (while scraping down the bowl every few minutes) for about 5-6 minutes. If the frosting seems very thick, simply add some milk 1 tablespoon at a time and mixer for another minute or 2 until it comes together.

Note: this makes enough frosting for me to frost 12 cupcakes with a pastry bag. If you use a spatula for frosting, you will most likely have frosting left over. If you use a pastry bag and add a lot of frosting, you may not have enough. I add about 1/4 cup of frosting on my cupcakes when piping. If you have some leftover, simply store it in an air-tight container in the fridge (a few days) or the freezer (3-4 months!).

Roasted Blueberry Cupcakes with Chocolate Fudge Frosting I howsweeteats.com

Sure looks like breakfast to me.

154 Responses to “Roasted Blueberry Cupcakes with Chocolate Fudge Frosting.”

Talia — September 4, 2011 @ 7:14 pm

A friend and I made these cupcakes tonight and we substituted vanilla mascarpone frosting and loved them! Thank you for the recipe.

Sally — February 14, 2012 @ 12:20 am

This is an AMAZING recipe. I am so in love right now. I’ve always wanted a blueberry cupcake, but not a simple vanilla batter with some blueberries tossed in it. I’m also a huge fan of blueberries and I would defiantly recommend this recipe to a friend… to ALL my friends!
    Thanks so much for making my dream come true! Haha :)

Jenni — April 11, 2012 @ 11:35 am

Great information here. Some people say chocolate is better then anything. We have to agree 100%.

emelreem — April 11, 2012 @ 12:34 pm

My daughter just baked these and said they were amazing, she said “they are so fluffy, they taste like ice cream!” I can’t wait to try them! Thank you!

Noelle Marie — April 26, 2012 @ 2:50 am

I made these with cinnamon buttercream and blogged about them here:http://noellephant.blogspot.com/2012/04/week-without-computer.html
    These are perfect cupcakes. I’ve never met their equal.

Annie — May 30, 2012 @ 1:06 am

I just made these with my Mom for my birthday! They were DELICIOUS! Thanks so much for the recipe! We plan on using the frosting on absolutely everything!

Colette — July 24, 2012 @ 3:51 pm

Love the teethmarks in the frosting! Good stuff right there.

Alexandria — July 31, 2012 @ 8:39 am

Hi! I LOVE your blog! You have some wonderful ideas that I just can’t wait to whip up! For starters, I am looking at this recipe and wondering what type of milk to use, Whole Milk, Almond Vanilla, 1%, Coconut, ect..? What do you think would be best?

Thanks in advance for your time! You have an AWESOME blog!

• Jessica — July 31st, 2012 @ 10:58 am

I usually use almond breeze, but if you want to use dairy, I’d stick to at least 2%!

hudsondebb — September 1, 2012 @ 9:37 pm

We made these and they are scrumptious! We decided on a dollop of simple lemon icing instead of chocolate. Also I used Pamela’s gluten-free flour mix right out of the bag, omitting the baking powder in the recipe, and used coconut oil instead of butter, but otherwise used recipe as written. Yummm!!!

Karen — March 22, 2013 @ 9:56 pm

Can you use frozen blueberries? I don’t imagine they would roast well. . .

Becky — April 8, 2014 @ 12:13 am

Just made these yesterday and they turned out a bit bread-like (dense) as far as consistency. Were yours that way or were they like and fluffy like cupcakes?

1. Pingback: Madame Mix-A-Lot » 30 DoS – Day : Roasted Blueberry Mini Muffins

2. Pingback: Things to Check Out 2 | thefluffybread

3. Pingback: Roasted Blueberry Scones — Savvy Eats

4. Pingback: Roasted Blueberry Cupcakes with Chocolate Fudge Frosting « Too Southern to Snack

5. Pingback: a breezy spin on a classic dessert « Inquiring Chef

6. Pingback: Blueberry CUPCAKES | thefluffybread

7. Pingback: {Food} Roasted Strawberry Cupcakes with Strawberry Sauce Buttercream « Jane B

8. Pingback: Roasted Strawberry, Goat Cheese and Asparagus Farro. | How Sweet It Is

9. Pingback: Cupcake Day @ Work :: June Edition | Cultivating Heather

10. Pingback: Roasted Blueberry Basil Margaritas | How Sweet It Is

11. Pingback: Roasted Blueberries | Better with Cake

12. Pingback: Cupcakeando » Arquivos » Cupcakes de mirtilo assado

13. Pingback: roasted blueberry cupcakes | nutmeg.

14. Pingback: roasted blueberry cupcakes with cream cheese frosting & a virtual baby shower | the sequined cupcake

15. Pingback: Roasted | Friday Night Dinners -- PDX