Don’t leave me just yet.

Cheese…

sugar…

weird?

I know you. I know what you’re thinking. Specifically you there… who is eating breakfast while reading your screen with glazy eyes and wondering why.the.heck I’ve gone and ruined cornbread. Hush.

By the way, you have milk on your chin.

Same goes for you, with your eyelids drooped halfway because it’s Friday and… well, you just want to get out of work. Is it the happiest hour yet? Let’s start early.

But no. These are not weird. Trust me.

See that little golden brown jacket the muffin below is wearing? That’s a caramelized coating of mixed brown sugar, sharp cheddar and… crunchy cornbread stuff. I think that’s what it’s called. You bowl of chili is begging for one.

Plus, we all know that muffins are just cupcakes without hats.

Cheddar + Brown Sugar Cornbread Muffins

[adapted from my fluffy delicious cornbread]

makes 12 muffins

1 cup whole wheat pastry flour

1 cup finely ground cornmeal

1 tablespoon baking powder

½ teaspoon salt

3 tablespoons brown sugar

1/4 cup creamed corn

1/2 cup butter, melted

1/2 cup milk

1/3 cup heavy cream or half and half

1 egg

1/3 cup freshly & finely grated cheddar cheese

Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.

Combine flour, cornmeal, sugar, salt and baking powder together and mix with a spoon. Add the egg, corn, heavy cream, melted butter and milk, stirring until smooth. Fold in cheddar cheese. Spray a muffin tin with non-stick spray (or use liners) and using a 1/4 cup measure, spoon batter into each muffin tin. Bake for 15-18 muffins, or until tops are golden and muffins are cooked through. Serve hot with cinnamon or honey butter.

I think the wisest thing you could do would be to spread these muffins with some of this.

113 Responses to “Cheddar + Brown Sugar Cornbread Muffins. {Dinner Tonight: Part 2}”

Cait's Plate — September 16, 2011 @ 12:26 pm

If there’s brown sugar, I’m there.

mis-cakes — September 16, 2011 @ 1:05 pm

so what you are telling me is that i am making these now too with the chili i was already planning to make? when you post pics looking this good i guess i have to.

• Jessica — September 16th, 2011 @ 2:35 pm

Kaitlin — September 16, 2011 @ 1:08 pm

These look amazing, I’ve been craving corn bread!

Kirsten — September 16, 2011 @ 1:30 pm

I HAVE to try these! You come up with the most interesting combinations/creations! It is weird-sounding, but in a good way!

Rachel @myurbanoven.com — September 16, 2011 @ 1:47 pm

MMM… I feel like ths signs are all around me. All the blogs out there are making corn bread and chili. I love fall food. I think I will make these this weekend for Sunday Football :)

Lindsay @ Lindsay's List — September 16, 2011 @ 3:01 pm

Jiffy has nothing on these..except for the fact that I KNOW I can bake Jiffy.

Sarah K. @ The Pajama Chef — September 16, 2011 @ 3:14 pm

oh goodness, these look spectacular!

Jenna — September 16, 2011 @ 3:40 pm

These look fantastic! I have been majorly craving corn bread and your recipe looks like a winner! I will be making these this weekend! Maybe with some of that cinnamon sugar butter :)

Alice — September 16, 2011 @ 4:34 pm

If I don’t have any whole wheat flour, can I substitute with AP flour??

• Jessica — September 16th, 2011 @ 5:22 pm

Yep!

Christina @ This Woman Cooks! — September 16, 2011 @ 5:43 pm

Muffins without hats! Yes they are!

Anna — September 16, 2011 @ 6:04 pm

you’re right, i was totally eating breakfast as i was reading your post.

interesting recipe, I can’t wait to try it!

Lauren from Lauren's Latest — September 16, 2011 @ 6:22 pm

There is nothing about these that I wouldn’t like. Holy hannah.

kerry — September 16, 2011 @ 6:31 pm

“plus we all know muffins are just cupcakes without hats”
    made me literally laugh.out.loud.
    i needed that today =)

Jen — September 16, 2011 @ 6:41 pm

When I first saw the title of this post, I was really hoping that the recipe would call for all cornmeal and no flour, so that it would be gluten-free and I could eat it. Brown sugar and cheddar sounds like a total win. Your photographs are always drool-worthy, but I can rarely make any of the recipes that accompany them! So sad. So, so, so sad.

Melissa (MelissaLikesToEat) — September 16, 2011 @ 7:41 pm

The combination of sweet and savory makes the world go round.

MELANIE — September 16, 2011 @ 7:55 pm

I had a feeling yesterday it was a spruced up cornbread for you dinner pt.2….green chili creamcheese would be just mah-va’lus!!(lickin my lips!) i love sweet and salty/sweet and spicy foods!

Kristen — September 16, 2011 @ 8:49 pm

This is an interesting twist on a typical cornbread muffin. I love it!

Lisa {With Style and Grace} — September 17, 2011 @ 5:46 am

you just rocked my world, girl. in a good way, that is. i think everyone needs a cheddar & brown sugar cornbread with a little [ or a lot ] of cinnamon & sugar butter in their life. very wise, i agree.

Lynne — September 17, 2011 @ 6:23 am

I love sweet-savory combinations like this – thanks for sharing!

Sandra — September 17, 2011 @ 8:49 am

Weird is the new creative, count me in.

Candy — September 17, 2011 @ 10:28 am

Can I just say that this is more a work of fine art than a mere recipe? Brava.

Piccola Italiana — September 17, 2011 @ 10:29 am

I seriously just checked to see if I had milk on my face. Luckily, I didn’t. But this cornbread is making my cereal and orange juice seem more pathetic than usual… ;)

Molly @ RDexposed — September 17, 2011 @ 11:10 am

I like your definition of muffin with the comparison of a cupcake. hahahah

Samantha — September 17, 2011 @ 6:52 pm

I made white chili tonight and made these to go with it – huge hit! My boys each ate 3 and now I have to make more tomorrow to go with the leftovers! LOL

Ann — September 17, 2011 @ 7:18 pm

Looks delicious! I love corn muffins!

Kate — September 18, 2011 @ 8:41 am

These were very good. Especially warm with honey and butter. They were a little crumbly, and fell apart when eating them. Are they supposed to be crumbly?

Melissa — September 18, 2011 @ 9:01 am

You are just evil. Sweet sweet evil.

Rayna — September 18, 2011 @ 10:03 am

You’re making me drool all over my keyboard. :)

Brittany — September 18, 2011 @ 2:32 pm

I grew up on cornbread and it holds a special spot in my heart/belly. This recipe looks delicious!

Hope you are well Jess.

Robbie — September 18, 2011 @ 3:40 pm

They look absolutely delicious!!! I’ll have to try those :) yummm
    ps: I love you blog and your recipes are lovely!
    Definitelly added to my faves! x

Amanda — September 18, 2011 @ 4:49 pm

I omitted the cheese, these were delicious!!

Caitlin — September 18, 2011 @ 5:36 pm

My husband is picky, he doesn’t like bits of corn in his corn bread/muffins, do you think I could leave it out and they’d still be yummo?

Grant Turner — September 18, 2011 @ 7:20 pm

Something that made me smile – instead of 15-18 minutes, it says 15-18 muffins :)
    I don’t have that setting on my oven! Maybe I need an upgrade! :)

• Grace — October 3rd, 2011 @ 1:29 am

Haha I noticed that too!! Someone’s thinking about muffins too much…

can’t blame you because muffins are just oooooh, so delicious!! mmm <3 the cornbread is in the oven right now and i can't wait for them to be done *_*!!

Mrs. O — September 19, 2011 @ 12:32 pm

You had me at “muffins are just cupcakes without hats.” Can we be BFFs?

Rebekah V. — September 19, 2011 @ 3:26 pm

Jess, can you use regular flour with these? I wanted to make them tonight but don’t have the pastry flour on hand.

• Jessica — September 19th, 2011 @ 4:29 pm

Yes definitely!

Jessica @ Bake a Little — September 20, 2011 @ 10:43 am

Love this! great combo of sweet and salty and corn muffins are such a classic!

janetha — September 20, 2011 @ 3:28 pm

What a great contrast of flavors. I have been dreaming of your cornbread recipe lately (the one you sent me the recipe to last year–it is my go to) but I think I need to try these cheesy, sweet muffins. Thanks, lady!

• Jessica — September 20th, 2011 @ 7:15 pm

This is similar girl – adapted from that!

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) — September 22, 2011 @ 12:17 am

Brown sugar and cheddar!!!!!?? You are wild!

Brooke — December 2, 2011 @ 12:21 am

After months of drooling at every recipe on here, I finally attempted this one for a holiday potluck. Let me just say, I didn’t want to share these! So delicious! You’re amazing!

Amy — January 13, 2012 @ 8:29 pm

I just made these and have to say they were very dry. Great flavor but too dry for my taste. I will have to adjust the recipe next time.

Anna — September 13, 2012 @ 3:51 pm

Your food looks so deliciously bad… in a good way. the best way, haha. Happy I found your blog!

Marjie — November 17, 2012 @ 1:32 pm

Made these over at my friends house. She didn’t have butter (I know who doesn’t keep at least 12 sticks of butter on hand). Stuck them in the oven and loaded them with butter when they came out. Delicious. Might be my new go to cheesey cornbread recipe. And that is saying a lot coming from a southern raised Georgia girl.

Anna Wilson — May 7, 2014 @ 11:28 pm

I’ve read a few posts here and I can actually relate. I am in love with Marie Callender’s cornbread. They are simple to make and super yummy, especially with honey butter. I’ve been a fan of MC’s ever since I was a little girl, and have fond memories of eating it with my family back in San Jose, CA. Check out their website ww.mccornbread.com to order your cornbread mix. They also stock a variety of gourmet products I’m sure you will enjoy.

1. Pingback: Cheddar Chili Cornbread Pasta Bake. {Dinner Tomorrow.} | How Sweet It Is

2. Pingback: Chipotle Turkey Chili with Apples & Cornbread Muffins « Newly Bread

3. Pingback: Lemon Cream Flax Muffins | How Sweet It Is