Hey hey, check it out!

We’re making muffins today.

Specifically, muffins of the lemon variety.

I know what you’re thinking.

WHY lemon? WHY not chocolate chip or bursting blueberry or cinnamon struesel or more importantly, chocolate chip?

I too, was a lemon hater once, but it turns out that when it’s mixed with lots of sugar? I totally love it.

Who knew?

Lemon and I have got some sort of freaky thing going on at the moment. I’m all about it with that sugar because it just gets so sweet and… and… lemony. First it was cookies, but I’ve since left them in the dust. My reputation is probably not so hot at the moment.

These muffins are the perfect vehicle for transporting delicious holiday breakfasts into your belly. They are slightly sweet, super lemony, dense and fluffy – but still a bit chewy – and even have a twinge of nuttiness happening from the flaxseed. The glaze is so super creamy that is practically melts in your mouth, and I think you might be the most popular kid on the block if you make these for you holiday guests.

And… and as I’ve said before, they are definitely just cupcakes without the hat. For sure.

Many Christmas mornings my mom would make those orange rolls from the can with the glaze and stuff… you know? But I think these may even beat them out. I’ve decided that I’m going eat my weight in lemon cream muffins in two weeks, and if you’d like to join me, I suggest some cake batter cinnamon rolls, cookie dough cinnamon rolls, or cinnamon sugared bacon. That’s what the holidays are all about!

Lemon Cream Flax Muffins

2 teaspoons vanilla extract

1 teaspoon lemon extract, emulsion or essential oil

6 tablespoons butter, melted and cooled

1 cup cream

1/4 cup milk

zest of 3 lemons

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a muffin tin with liners.

In a bowl, combine flour, salt, soda and flaxseed, then mix well to combine. Set aside.

In a large bowl, whisk sugar and egg until smooth. Add in lemon zest, vanilla and lemon extracts, whisking again until smooth. Add in cream, milk and melted butter, mixing until combined. Add dry ingredients to batter, mixing with a spoon until just combined – do not overmix. The batter will be thick and almost doughy (in the second picture). Using an ice cream scoop or about a 1/3 cup measuring cup, scoop batter into muffin liners.

Bake for 14-17 minutes, or until muffins are set and no longer jiggly in the middle. While muffins are baking, mix glaze, and as soon as they come out of the oven, drizzle glaze over top. These are best served warm, straight from the oven.

Lemon Cream Glaze

1 cup powdered sugar

1 tablespoon lemon zest

1/2 teaspoon lemon extract, emulsion or essential oil

1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

2-3 tablespoons cream

Combine all ingredients together and mix thoroughly until a runny glaze forms. If too thick, add more cream. If too thin, add more powdered sugar until desired consistency is reached.

All of your holiday people (like, uh… family) are going to love you!

88 Responses to “Lemon Cream Flax Muffins.”

Maggie @ A Bitchin' Kitchen — December 14, 2011 @ 3:28 pm

Hurray for lemon baked goods! I’ll be honest…sometimes I pick lemon over chocolate. I just love it!

Steve @ the black peppercorn — December 14, 2011 @ 3:55 pm

Oh I love lemon! I am a zest nut – both lemon zest and lime zest. I also love lemon in desserts. I made lemon cookies and lemon squares last month. oh my word. Lemon squares – I could eat them all in one sitting! These that you have made look great!!

Sally @ Spontaneous Hausfrau — December 14, 2011 @ 4:00 pm

Oh, these just look delightful. My hubby would be all over these, too. Maybe I’ll make these to suck up to him for a pair of shoes ;)

Corrie — December 14, 2011 @ 4:21 pm

This makes me happy…I have SO many lemons in my fridge. I made Pioneer Woman’s lemon crumb bars (delicious) and still have a ton left! Thanks for the recipe, I’m making these today!

Adrienne @ Midwestern Belle — December 14, 2011 @ 4:44 pm

When life hands you lemons…Make Lemon Cream Flax Muffins! Just sayin :)

honeywhatscooking — December 14, 2011 @ 4:50 pm

looks delicious, i love how you incorporated the flaxseed.

Brandon @ Kitchen Konfidence — December 14, 2011 @ 4:55 pm

I LOVE lemony baked goods :) Sweet yet bright. I’m glad you got over your lemon hatred :)

Sommer J — December 14, 2011 @ 6:20 pm

these sound so gooood. i need some pep in my step especially as of late. I can get all my little ones in on this one as well. thank you for sharing!!

nicole {sweet peony} — December 14, 2011 @ 6:41 pm

LIIIICK! i want that glaze in my face now! i’m a huge fan of lemon baked yummies

jennifurla — December 14, 2011 @ 7:12 pm

wow, these look so tangy and delish

Stephanie — December 14, 2011 @ 8:02 pm

AHA! Finally a way to use up all those flax seeds I bought at Whole Foods when I was in a granola-bar-making-craze. THANKYOUTHANKYOUTHANKYOU!

Sylvie @ Gourmande in the Kitchen — December 14, 2011 @ 11:59 pm

Lemony goodness with a side of healthy flax seeds?! Yes please.

Kelly @ Foodie Fiasco — December 15, 2011 @ 12:27 am

And now I should buy bigger pants.

CouponClippingCook — December 15, 2011 @ 2:01 am

These look amazing! Love the lemon cream glaze too.

Stephke — December 15, 2011 @ 5:54 am

Looks DE-LI-CIOUS!!!

Tali Simon @ More Quiche, Please — December 15, 2011 @ 7:24 am

I’m not especially into lemons, but these sound really nice. I’ll have to look for lemon extract.

** I’m giving away a copy of Barefoot Bloggers on my blog. A must-read for anyone who blogs or is interested in the behind-the-scenes of blogging!

Cynthia — December 15, 2011 @ 11:38 am

OMG…I’m goin’ to die! I Love lemon…and I’m going with the breakfast idea!!!

Right now I’m using lipgloss from MILLAN’S Buzz Worthy line. My absolute favorite is Beegone, a beautiful golden champagne color. MILLAN has since changed the packaging, but I love the glass effect. Tis the season for all things shiny!

Ashley @ Wishes & Dishes — December 15, 2011 @ 11:47 am

These pictures are seriously making me drool!

Katie — December 18, 2011 @ 1:55 pm

These are absolutely wonderful!! They just came out of the oven, and my kitchen now smells of lemony goodness. I had to take out the flax seeds because I forgot to buy them, and I used Lactose-Free milk, but they still taste amazing!

Stylista — January 15, 2012 @ 8:16 pm

Making these right now….is there a typo?….the recipe asks us to incorporate the 1 egg, twice! Once with the sugar, and then the second time with the lemon zest, etc…sorry, I’m making these for the first time, and want to get it right. :)

Thanks!

• Jessica — January 15th, 2012 @ 8:26 pm

Oops sorry! Yep, you mix it with the sugar. Just fixed it!

Jackie — September 24, 2012 @ 11:14 pm

Just made these muffin’s this evening. The batter wasn’t quite as thick as yours. It was closer to a normal muffin batter, I’m not sure why (possibly because I used regular all purpose flour instead of the pastry flour?). They also took closer to 20 minutes to really cook properly. My glaze wasn’t really white like yours and I’m thinking maybe I used too much lemon zest or lemon extract… Either way we did a taste test and they seem to have turned out edible : )

Thanks for posting your recipes, this is about my 4th recipe of yours that I am trying. They are pretty easy to follow and the result is always tasty! You have brought my love of food and cooking/baking back!

Ezequiel Unland — April 26, 2013 @ 12:58 am

Flaxseed was cultivated in Babylon as early as 3000 BC. In the 8th century, King Charlemagne believed so strongly in the health benefits of flaxseed that he passed laws requiring his subjects to consume it. Now, thirteen centuries later, some experts say we have preliminary research to back up what Charlemagne suspected.;”

Go look at our own internet site as well
    <a href="http://www.caramoanpackage.com

Nicole Bernhardt — September 1, 2013 @ 8:49 pm

I didn’t have my muffin pan with me so I made this as a bread. It was DELICIOUS! I left it in the oven for 45 minutes and it came out perfectly moist. I poured the glaze over the bread. Absolutely wonderful..

1. Pingback: Lemon Cream Flax Muffins | *bespoke* zine