For someone that is neither with child nor a growing adolescent, I have some really odd food fascinations.

Roasted Garlic and Dill White Bean Dip I howsweeteats.com

It’s been six weeks and counting, and I have been compulsively buying fresh dill because I can’t get enough. And before you tell me that I should just grow it, I will show you a picture of my basil plant that I accidentally banished to the shade and watered… once. I fear for my future children.

At the risk of identifying myself with a certain poofy-haired Jersey girl, I’m nearly positive that my love for dill started with pickles.

Man… I loooove pickles.

But not the bread and butter kind. The dill kind. The only way I can describe that skeevy bread and butter chaos is that they taste… unnaturally sour and too wet. [Hopefully that’s never what she says. Ever.]

While my pickle love is nothing new – I’ve always been a fan – I tend to go through stages. Sometimes I crave them and go through two jars in one week. Sometimes I forget about them because I can be flakey. Sometimes after finishing that second jar I’ve decided I’ve had enough.

Roasted Garlic and Dill White Bean Dip I howsweeteats.com

After eating them straight up (usually with some olives and cheese) as a child, I eventually graduated to dipping my salty potato chips in the leftover stream of pickle juice on my paper plate while eating grilled burgers for dinner. This was long before those pickle-flavored potato chips hit the shelves in the grocery store, but I vividly remember the exact morning that a girl on my school bus hopped up the steps with said potato chip bag in hand. Totally weird and delicious. I was jealous of potato chips.

One thing I absolutely never, ever did was eat peanut butter and pickle sandwiches, which my dad ate as a kid. In fact, he’d still probably scarf one now. I can’t even fathom that mess… but if you’re into that kind of thing, I pretty much love you. And if this yucky feeling I hold over peanut butter + pickles is how some of you feel about bacon? I’m crushed.

Anyway, this is just one of the many ways I’ve been enjoying some dill this summer.  I think it’s fabulous, but you could probably rub roasted garlic on a shoe and I’d demolish it. So, so good.

The dip. Not the shoe.

Roasted Garlic and Dill White Bean Dip I howsweeteats.com

Roasted Garlic and Dill White Bean Dip

make about 1 cup of dip

1 15-ounce can of cannellini beans, drained and rinsed (or about 1 1/2 cups of cooked beans)

2 bulbs of roasted garlic

3 tablespoons of fresh dill

1/4 cup of olive oil + more if desired

1/2 teaspoon salt

1/4 teaspoon black pepper

Combine beans, dill, roasted garlic, salt and pepper in a food processor and blend until smooth. With the processor running, stream in olive oil and make sure to scrape the sides and bottom a few times. Serve in a bowl garnished with fresh dill and additional drizzles of olive oil.

Roasted Garlic and Dill White Bean Dip I howsweeteats.com

I need a dip intervention.

[Also, if you’re searching for some Labor Day recipes, here is the compilation I put together for the 4th of July: 70 Party Recipes. If you have any questions about party recipes, feel free to ask in the comments!]

132 Responses to “Roasted Garlic and Dill White Bean Dip.”

DessertForTwo — September 2, 2011 @ 11:32 am

Ummmm I still drink pickle juice outta the jar. Someone told me that in Israel, a cold shot of pickle juice is a common summertime thing. This makes me feel less weird.

Love this recipe! I have a ridiculous amount of dill in the garden. You should come pick it!

• Jessica — September 2nd, 2011 @ 11:50 am

I wish I could! We could do pickle shots.

• Katrina — September 2nd, 2011 @ 1:06 pm

Last time I was in Cananda visiting family, they were doing shots of Crown Royal (Canadian Whisky) with a chaser of pickle juice.

They were popular. Even my mom liked them!

Lindsay @ Lindsay's List — September 2, 2011 @ 11:47 am

Geez – you’ve got quite the recipe collection! How long have you been blogging?

• Jessica — September 2nd, 2011 @ 11:53 am

Been blogging since Fall 2009!

CouponClippingCook — September 2, 2011 @ 11:50 am

Does this ever sound good and healthy too. Love this recipe.

Mandy — September 2, 2011 @ 12:20 pm

“Hopefully that’s never what she says. Ever.”

OMG, I cannot breathe!!! You are absolutely hilarious. I nearly spit my coffee out all over my desk and my work.

LOVE dill pickle chips. Always have, always will. Do you have ketchup chips there? They are by far my #1 fave.

My daughter who is 20 months old is OBSESSED with green olives and dill pickles. She inhales olives without chewing them (makes for a strange diaper change).

This was one of the most hilarious posts you have written – what a great Friday post!

Lindsay @ biking before bed — September 2, 2011 @ 12:27 pm

I feel for you with the plants. In college I killed I cactus. I guess leaving it under those dorm desk lamps without water for a month doesn’t work?

Melissa — September 2, 2011 @ 12:31 pm

Really? No PB and pickles? But it’s so delicious!!! I also like to put pickle juice into my tuna salad.

I tried a pickle juice martini once. It was a misguided effort. Add some tomato juice to that mix, however, and you’re on your way to a kick ass bloody mary.

Alison — September 2, 2011 @ 12:38 pm

I love peanut butter and pickle sandwiches!!!

Maya — September 2, 2011 @ 12:47 pm

I know I said this yesterday. But I am seriously obsessed with your blog. I’ve been exploring things all morning, and doing things like having insane cravings for sweet and spicy beef at 9:24 am.

Bev Weidner — September 2, 2011 @ 12:59 pm

I’m so with you on having a love for dill pickles. I would pretend that a pickle was lipstick and I’d smear it on my lips and lick my face. Then eat the lipstick (pickle.)

I had no friends.

Adrianna from A Cozy Kitchen — September 2, 2011 @ 1:12 pm

I have a serious thing for roasted garlic. Like it’s serious. And dill is awesome. So I get it.

Jessica C — September 2, 2011 @ 1:17 pm

I adore Dill too. With all that Dill you’ve been stocking up, you should imidately make this soup: http://www.101cookbooks.com/archives/new-year-noodle-soup-recipe.html. I’m still dreaming about it. It was amazing!

Eleni — September 2, 2011 @ 1:28 pm

I didn’t want to ask since I’m going to sound stupid but this looks so yummy that I need to make it! Are garlic bulbs another way to says heads of garlic? Two heads of garlic seem like so much so I just want to make sure! I even googled ” what is a garlic bulb” and wikipedia says it is a head of garlic. Haha! Just want to make sure!

• Jessica — September 2nd, 2011 @ 1:34 pm

Not stupid at all! And yes, you are correct. Roast two whole heads – trust me, it’s super sweet and buttery! :)

Amanda Marie — September 2, 2011 @ 2:26 pm

I’m obsessed with pickles and do the same exact thing: sometimes, I eat 2 jars a week, and others I totally forget that I need to buy new pickles and don’t eat them for a month.

Kiran @ KiranTarun.com — September 2, 2011 @ 2:27 pm

That looks so delish Jessica. I bet with some smoked paprika, this would go up a notch :) What to do, I am a spicy eater :D

Kerry — September 2, 2011 @ 2:29 pm

I want to make and eat this RIGHT NOW so I’m skipping the roasted part of the garlic step. So now that you know how lazy and hungry I am, did you bother breaking the dill off of the main stem before you threw it into the food processor?

• Jessica — September 2nd, 2011 @ 3:28 pm

I did… but I’m weird about anything vegetable-like so I’m guessing you’d probably be ok leaving them on?

Mary @ What's Cookin' with Mary — September 2, 2011 @ 2:39 pm

Just did a compilation post this morning… def wasn’t 70 recipes. That’s insane! Love it. :)

Caitlin @ Vegetarian in the City — September 2, 2011 @ 2:44 pm

wow that did looks amazing!! have you ever had dill pickle chips? I grew up in Canada & these were my favorite as a kid.

Jamie (Thrifty Veggie Mama) — September 2, 2011 @ 4:02 pm

This looks delicious! I love pickles too. In fact, reading this made me wish I had a jar of them right now. Ever had dill pickle soup? It is so good!

Charissa — September 2, 2011 @ 4:59 pm

And it’s like a protein dip too. Brilliant.

janetha — September 2, 2011 @ 5:29 pm

Wow, Jess, this looks SO good! I think I will make it this weekend!

Yaminatoday - a litblog — September 2, 2011 @ 8:05 pm

Yummy. And you know what? It’s healthy. I am proud of you, Jessica. Garlic is in the onion family, which is a vegetable and white beans are like, kind of vegetable-like, you know?…delish…

Sarah — September 2, 2011 @ 8:59 pm

YUM! This looks great!

Margie Wilson — September 2, 2011 @ 9:07 pm

I have some fresh dill in my garden, a perfect recipe to use some of it. Thanks.

Debby — September 3, 2011 @ 4:19 am

Congrats on the top 9, I looooove your blog! New follower! xoxo :D

Claudia — September 3, 2011 @ 6:40 am

It is simply delicious, part of it already gone. The garlic is super tasty. Thank you for the recipe!

Tara @ The Butter Dish — September 3, 2011 @ 7:49 am

WOAH!! What’s the DILLio Jess, you made this and didn’t share?? ☺

Ok you know I had to find a pun in here somewhere. I’m with you though, I love dill and WizKid could eat 1000 dill pickles in one sitting easy if I let him, that and kalamata olives. :)
    I like to put fresh dill in my tuna fish salad and right now at 7:40 am dip and chips sounds sooo good. :)

Tracy — September 3, 2011 @ 10:29 am

Haha see, I’m not a big fan of dill pickles but I looove bread & butter. This dip looks lovely though and I definitely wouldn’t pass it up!

Amy @ ElephantEats — September 3, 2011 @ 10:44 am

Glad to know I’m not the only non-pregnant pickle enthusiast. I bought a quart of them from the awesome pickle store a few blocks from me and they were completely gone in 3 days. The more spicy and garlicky, the better. This store has horseradish dill pickles…soooo good!

Your dip looks amazing!

Naomi(onefitfoodie) — September 3, 2011 @ 12:21 pm

WHOLE roasted garlic…omg amazing that won me over…I could eeat a whole bulb roasted on its own!

Ann — September 3, 2011 @ 7:23 pm

Wow – that looks fabulous! I love bean/hummus style dips! I like the dill in it!

Katie@Cozydelicious — September 3, 2011 @ 10:35 pm

I’m making this tomorrow! I have a ton of dill – perfect! And just cooked up a big batch of white beans. I’m so excited…. awesome party dip for a BBQ!

Krysten — January 4, 2012 @ 11:21 pm

I. Love. Pickles. And garlic. And dip. You’re my hero.

Billie St. Marie — March 7, 2012 @ 10:39 pm

The white bean and dill looks great, but it seems like waaay too much oil?

• Helen — March 19th, 2012 @ 3:43 pm

I used 2.5 tbs and it was (imo) ample – the great thing about olive oil is that you can always add more and blend to your taste.

Helen — March 19, 2012 @ 3:42 pm

Hi – I found your recipe via Pinterest and modified it because I had no dill. I blogged my version and included links to your blog & Pinterest. Hope this is okay – if not, please let me know:

Christine — May 2, 2012 @ 11:02 pm

This post cracked me up. We are very much alike. Can’t wait to try this recipe. I’m thinking of using 6 tbs. of dill though :) Maybe some lemon too? Hmmm.

Anne — September 8, 2012 @ 7:48 pm

You should definitely try peanut butter and pickle sandwiches! My dad ate them as well, and got me hooked. But it has to be crunchy peanut butter on toasted bread!

Tiffany — September 19, 2012 @ 10:36 am

Made this this afternoon and its a bit salty. THink i’m just sensitive to salt. Love how smooth the beans go and the dill is lovely. Got some Gravlax in the freezer this is going with that on a Ryvita cracker :) xx

Emma and Emily — January 27, 2013 @ 6:57 pm

love this recipe. but we had to add a little more dill and juice from a slice of lemon. perfect!

Pamela — May 4, 2013 @ 5:01 pm

This was yummy – thanks for sharing! :)

Arden Kort — May 23, 2013 @ 2:58 am

Tomato ketchup was sold locally by farmers. A man named Jonas Yerks (or Yerkes) is believed to have been the first man to make tomato ketchup a national phenomenon. By 1837, he had produced and distributed the condiment nationally.[7] Shortly thereafter, other companies followed suit. F. & J. Heinz launched their tomato ketchup in 1876.*:”`

http://www.caramoan.phRemember to find out about this useful webpage

Bracha — March 4, 2014 @ 4:11 pm

this was a huge hit with my family. i used an extra head of roasted garlic because we love it so much! this was healthier version of a dill hummus i used to make. thanks!

1. Pingback: Labor Day Eats: Feature Fridays | Savoring Today

2. Pingback: Let the Games Begin | Stylish, Stealthy & Healthy.

3. Pingback: A Day in the Life of Mosa » In the Kitchen – On the list for 2012.

4. Pingback: Roasted Garlic + Caramelized Veggie Tostadas. | How Sweet It Is

5. Pingback: » Garlic Dill Dip

6. Pingback: For Your New Years Party « oh so decadent

7. Pingback: diggin’ the dip | white bean dip with garlic and basil:. | sweat.to.eat | fat.kid.tweets

8. Pingback: Roasted Garlic and Dill Cannellini Dip | PEAs and Cues

9. Pingback: Vegan for the holidays | Mojo Central

10. Pingback: peace. love. quinoa

11. Pingback: Roasted Garlic and Dill White Bean Dip | How Sweet It Is | Pots, Pans and Proverbs

12. Pingback: 10 Incredible Garlic Recipes – CA Grown

13. Pingback: Box Contents & Recipes: KW | Cambridge | Guelph | Ayr & Surrounding Area – October 7, 2014 | Organics Live

14. Pingback: Box Contents & Recipes: Toronto | GTA | Barrie | Aurora | Oakville | Mississauga | Burlington – October 9, 2014 | Organics Live

15. Pingback: White Bean And Basil Dip - Food Recipe