I’m totally cool with never eating another pumpkin cookie in my life… ever.

This is like one sixteenth of the mess I’ve had multiple days in the last two weeks.

And you all know how much I love to clean…

Ugh. The bad news is that my total count of pumpkin cookie batches totaled 14, and I am so disgustingly pumpkin-ed out that I could cry.

The good news is that I got a pretty good recipe and an even better GREAT recipe. I’m giving you both because not everyone has access to pumpkin butter… though friends? You should. You really, really should. It’s like eating everything loveable off of a spoon… like puppies and babies and cuddly blankets. Except you don’t eat that stuff because then you would be a freak.

Good thing I like freaks!

When I mentioned I was working on these chewy cookies, some of you suggested cooking down the pumpkin puree. So I did that for about an hour, stirring until my wrist fell off. Three times. And then I got these. Every single time.

#fail

Cakiest (?) cookies ever. I have a feeling that cooking the pumpkin down may work in some instances, but I don’t find it to be a guarantee. I need a guarantee. Every time. I’m impatient, immature and whiny.

Run away. Save yourselves!

This pumpkin batter is super delicious, though the thought of it right now makes me want to hurl. It was like quick sand… I nearly sank down in there and drowned.

But!

Eventually I came out with a cookie like this.

Thank you baby Jesus.

The next three pictures are three different batches of the same recipe. This cookie is made with just a bit of pumpkin puree, lots of pumpkin pie spice, brown sugar and a bit of cornstarch. Judging from the first two pictures you can see I was a little underzealous with my baking time and left these soft and gooey. If you are ill or with child or just wiser than me in general (which would probably include, uh… all of you), bake them a little longer.

Chewy Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies made with Pumpkin Puree

[adapted from the giant rainbow cookies]

makes about 24 cookies

1 stick (1/2 cup) of butter, melted and cooled

1 1/4 cups packed light brown sugar

1/4 cup pumpkin puree

1 large egg + 1 egg yolk

2 teaspoons vanilla extract

1 2/3 cups of all-purpose flour

1/4 cup cornstarch

1/2 teaspoon baking soda

1/4 teaspoon salt

2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice

1 cup chocolate chunks + 3/4 cup chocolate chips + 1/2 cup mini chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.

Mix the flour, salt, cornstarch, pumpkin pie spice and baking soda in a bowl and set aside. In another bowl, mix the melted butter and sugars until they are combined. Add the egg, egg yolk, and vanilla and stir until mixed. Stir in pumpkin puree until smooth. Gradually add flour mixture and mix until a dough forms – it will look crumbly at first, but it will come together. I even used my hands to help at one point. Fold chocolate chips and chunks.

Refrigerate dough for 30 minutes, then roll into golfball-sized balls. Bake for 8-11 minutes, then let cool completely. If you keep these in the fridge for even longer, you may get a more cakier cookie.

You’re still going to get a teeeeeny tiny bit of cakiness, but it is barely detectable. Is that even a word? Is it now.

I also used three different kinds of chocolate (chips, chunks and mini chips) here which basically made my life.

Now these… these cookies below are the ones I want to sleep with at night.

They are thin, crisp, chewy and even a little crunchy on the ends. They are a result of using pumpkin butter (I love both Trader Joe’s and American Spoon) and for those of you who suggested trying pumpkin butter? Marry me. Now.

I know many of you may not find the pumpkin butter cookie to be ideal for the simple fact that not only can it be difficult to find, but it can also be fairly expensive. However… totally worth it! You could also make your own pumpkin butter but really!? I wasn’t even going to attempt that. I’d rather make six consecutive dishes full of broccoli than make one more thing containing pumpkin.

Chewy Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies made with Pumpkin Butter

2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour

3 tablespoons cornstarch

1/2 teaspoon baking soda

1/4 teaspoon salt

1 tablespoon pumpkin pie spice

1 1/4 cups chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.

Mix the flour, salt, cornstarch, pumpkin pie spice and baking soda in a bowl and set aside. In another bowl, mix the melted butter and sugars until they are combined. Add the egg, egg yolk, and vanilla and stir until mixed. Stir in pumpkin butter until smooth. Gradually add flour mixture and mix until a dough forms – it will look crumbly at first, but it will come together. I even used my hands to help at one point. Fold chocolate chips and chunks.

Refrigerate dough for 30 minutes, then roll into golfball-sized balls. Bake for 12-15 minutes, or until cookies are crisp and slightly golden on the edges, then let cool completely.

But now that I’m staring at this picture… I sort of want to eat that cookie up there. Crud.

269 Responses to “Chewier! Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies. [2 Ways]”

Kelli — November 12, 2011 @ 12:53 pm

I made these last night for some friends that came over. I was actually embarrassed to serve them. I followed the recipe exactly, but they turned out pretty bad. Really disappointed in this recipe. I think I will stick with allrecipes.com from now on.

• Jade — January 30th, 2014 @ 6:56 pm

i’ve made these cookies plenty of times and they were great, don’t blame the recipe here for your mistakes.

Lanette — November 16, 2011 @ 5:08 pm

I just made the 2nd recipe and they turned out AMAZING! Followed the recipe exactly (using TJ’s pumpkin butter), except my husband didn’t like the sound of chocolate chips with pumpkin, so we omitted the chips and they are exactly what he was hoping I’d find a recipe for. They are just a little crisp around the edges and nice and chewy in the middle. Thank you so much for your hard work on this!

Lanette — November 16, 2011 @ 5:15 pm

Oh, and I thought I should mention that I baked them on parchment paper lined baking sheets, which I know can sometimes make a big difference.

Michele — November 20, 2011 @ 1:30 pm

made these for the second time yesterday. the first time i halved everything except the eggs and they turned out.. weird.. and.. fluffy? and hard. bleh.

but this time they turned out reeeeeaaallly nicely ^_^ they didn’t look like yours, but i mean, not everyone can be a cookie goddess like you.
    sniffle.
    but yeah. i had them for breakfast today. three of ‘em. muahhh.

Justeen @ Blissful Baking — November 22, 2011 @ 5:45 pm

I made the pumpkin butter recipe, and it turned out perfectly!! I never thought it would be possible to have a thin, chewy, crisp-around-the-edges pumpkin cookie. You are a genius!!

Jeff Boyce — November 23, 2011 @ 12:15 am

I’ve made these 3 times now, they come out awesome! They end up looking like the puffy peanuts butter chocolate chip cookies, which I love. I think its because they are rolled into golf balls. I can’t get them to lay flat like in the photo. They are coming to the thanksgiving dinner party and will show up all other desserts! Love the recipe!

Polly O — November 28, 2011 @ 2:26 pm

I made these for the holiday and they were a hit. I made the second recipe and used William-Sonoma’s Pecan Pumpkin butter (that I am obsessed with) and they were awesome. Thanks and Happy Holiday season! Can’t wait to see what else you come up with!

TeddiJ — November 30, 2011 @ 10:03 pm

These are quite possibly the most perfect cookie! WOW! I made my own pumpkin butter because I had left over pumpkin puree I needed to use up. http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/pumpkin-butter/detail.aspx
    I also left out the corn starch because I didn’t have any. The consistency was perfect. THANK YOU!!! I will keep this forever.

Dena — December 2, 2011 @ 10:51 pm

I used the second recipe, and the texture was amazing!!!!! Didn’t seem to have as much of a pumpkin flavor as I would have liked. I’m wondering if you have any ideas on how to increase/enhance the pumpkin flavor.

Sam — December 10, 2011 @ 11:08 pm

Ugh, tried a different brand of pumpkin butter today and the cookies still were puffy. Delicious, but still not chewy. I guess I’ll have to find some trader joe’s pumpkin butter.

JoyChaos — December 12, 2011 @ 6:55 pm

hi. love the cookies. pure greatness but when i make them they always turn out like a loose batter and not like a doh…..am i doing something wrong somehow?

Bridget — January 1, 2012 @ 11:19 pm

Shoot, looks like I’m with the batch of readers whose cookies didn’t turn out. :( Mine were still cakey. Maybe I should just keep the pumpkin in pies and bars and let the chocolate and peanut butter have the cookies!

Emily — February 12, 2012 @ 8:23 pm

After making these a few times unsuccessfully (for chewy cookies…the “failures” were still very tasty “cakey” cookies), I thought I would share the adjustments I made. I combined this recipe with a brown eyed baker recipe for chocolate chip cookies and a few adjustments of my own — I used softened butter, which I creamed with the sugars, 2 cups + 2 tbl flour, and I omitted the corn starch. I kept everything else the same (I used the williams sonoma pumpkin pecan butter), including the baking temp, and they turned out beautifully! I finally have crisp edges, chewy centers and all-around gooey pumpkin chocolate chip cookies! Thank you so much for the recipe!

Jennifer — March 1, 2012 @ 8:54 am

Another source for pumpkin butter is below. It is great!

Julie — March 4, 2012 @ 12:19 am

Delicious!
    AND my hard to please parents liked them!
    It’s a keeper :-)

Joy — August 26, 2012 @ 9:36 pm

This recipe was recommended by “A Bitchin’ Kitchen” and I am very excited to try it out :) Based on all the comments I will try them with the pumpkin butter. Thanks for providing a great recipe… and with chocolate how can it get any better?!

Lauren — September 8, 2012 @ 7:53 pm

Just made these today (the first recipe). Great flavor but mine did not turn out quite the way I wanted them to. Your’s looked chewy, flat, and gooey but mine turned out just like the traditional pumpkin chocolate chip cookies- with a cake like texture. They were still good but I wanted a a chewy one. I didn’t change much- I used 1/4 cup less sugar not quite as much chocolate chips. They were in the fridge exactly half and hour and I baked mine for about 12 minutes. I do not think baking them less would change everything- they looked plump and cakey at 8 minutes. Would appreciate an suggestions you might have. Thanks!

Rachel — September 20, 2012 @ 12:14 pm

Just made the pumpkin puree version of these and they are little pieces of HEAVEN! I’ve been looking for a good pumpkin chocolate chip cookie recipe that isn’t cakey, and these are perfect. THANKS!

Hannah — October 2, 2012 @ 12:32 pm

I made the pumpkin butter version but without cornstarch just because I didn’t have any and was too lazy to go get some. But they still turned out great. The chewiest cookies I’ve ever made, and I even cooked them a little longer too.

Bunny — October 22, 2012 @ 11:26 pm

OMG, thank you SO much for this recipe! This cookie is moist, chewy and gooey and exactly what I was looking for. Absolutely perfect!

Amanda — October 27, 2012 @ 12:59 pm

I made these for a potluck at work – they were gone in a flash. I love how they taste like pumpkin bread in cookie form. YUM!!

Christina Holland — October 29, 2012 @ 12:34 pm

I just made these last night and dear lord were that amazing. I would maybe add a little less butter (Maybe 1 1/4 sticks altogether) as they were almost too soft. I think I ate like 9 and 4 for breakfast. NOT diet food people! Just the perfect amount of pumpkin too, I wouldn’t change that.

1chefmommy — November 17, 2012 @ 10:05 pm

My cookies didn’t turn out either. :( My favorite texture is chewy so I was nearly in heaven when I saw this post. I made the 2nd recipe, with pumpkin butter, but the cookies turned out cakey. :( I followed the recipe exactly, but still no luck. I tweaked the recipe some and finally got a flatter cookie, but the texture was still cake-like. Even underbaked them and still no luck. I don’t know why the recipe only works for 1/2 the people that try it, but I’m bummed I’m in the unsuccessful half. Still on the hunt for chewy cookies.

Joe — November 20, 2012 @ 9:20 pm

So disappointed. I followed the recipe with pumpkin butter and they turned our like pancakes. I’m going to refrigerate them tonight and toss the in the oven again topside down to see if I

Joe — November 20, 2012 @ 9:23 pm

So disappointed. They turned out fluffy like pancakes. I’m going to refrigerate them overnight and then throw them in a super hot oven tomorrow nto see if I can get them a bit crispier.

Nicole W — December 2, 2012 @ 10:55 pm

OH MY GOSH I AM SO EXCITED

I’m seriously flipping out right now — I made the first recipe with pumpkin puree exactly according to your recipe, and they are PERFECT!! exactly like the picture and taste absolutely phenomenal.

Thank you so much!!

Kristen Connelly — January 29, 2013 @ 5:59 pm

Amazing. I like what you did.

evelyn — November 30, 2013 @ 11:29 pm

oh my god best cookies i’ve ever tasted

bobbie joh — October 16, 2014 @ 11:24 am

Made these yesterday as bar cookies: used the chewy cookie version, left out 1/2 cup of sugar (too sweet for my family!) and cooked in 9×13 pan. let them cool completely out of the oven before slicing.. they are SO GOOD i’m making another batch right now to take to work! THANK YOU for the recipe!

1. Pingback: Bake Bake Bake: Pumpkin Cookies, Brownies and Bread

2. Pingback: Pumpkin Coffee Cake. | How Sweet It Is

3. Pingback: The Chewy Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies that Weren’t «

4. Pingback: Menu Plan Monday « very necessary

5. Pingback: Chewy Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies and Contest Winner « thebitesizedbaker

6. Pingback: Weekend Recap: Pumpkin « Fear of Bananas

7. Pingback: Chewy Chocolate Chip Pumpkin Cookies « om&nom

8. Pingback: When Life Hands You Pumpkins… « Ginger Foodie

9. Pingback: pumpkin… again. «

10. Pingback: beka stays creative : inspired 10.23.11 « beka stays

11. Pingback: Swappy Seconds | Stylish, Stealthy & Healthy.

12. Pingback: Pumpkin Obsession « thearmydoctorswife

13. Pingback: This Weeks Delish!

14. Pingback: pumpkin chocolate cookies « Inquiring Chef

15. Pingback: Oh hi, pumpkin! | Healthy and Sane

16. Pingback: Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies « The Lucky Duckling

17. Pingback: inspired : 10.23.11 « beka stays

18. Pingback: Pumpkin Cookies « Black Martha

19. Pingback: Pumpkin Spice Pecan White Chocolate Chip Cookies « Zucca Bakes

20. Pingback: Pumpkin Scented Candles Got Nothing on Me | Susan Lynn Cope

21. Pingback: Tasty Tidbits: Oatmeal Pancakes, Pumpkin Cookies, and more — Kuchen Together

22. Pingback: More Pumpkin Deliciousness « 321delish

23. Pingback: Finally! | That Deep Breath

24. Pingback: Pumpkin Pie Fudge Brownie Bars. | How Sweet It Is

25. Pingback: Pumpkin Butter Chewy Chocolate Chip Cookies | The Whimsical Cupcake

26. Pingback: Thanksgiving 2011: A Hot Mess « Cait Plus Ate

27. Pingback: fried fish + cookie crazed. | meals & moves

28. Pingback: Chewy Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies. « :: Playing House ::

29. Pingback: Apple Butter Chewy Cinnamon M&M Cookies | The Spiffy Cookie

30. Pingback: Banana Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies | McCutcheon's Blog

31. Pingback: the most wonderful time of the year. (50+ pumpkin recipes!) « ciao mama

32. Pingback: Fudge Striped Pumpkin Peanut Butter Cookies | How Sweet It Is

33. Pingback: Fudge Striped Pumpkin Peanut Butter Cookies. | Lifestyle Pins

34. Pingback: Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Truffles «

35. Pingback: Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies | The Baking Vet

36. Pingback: Chewy Pumpkin Cookies with Toffee Bits

37. Pingback: WIAW: Thanksgiving! « Cait Plus Ate

38. Pingback: Chewy Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies

39. Pingback: Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookie Cheesecake | Tasty food for apostates

40. Pingback: Spiced Orange Pumpkin Cookies | LunaCafe