Did this seriously happen?

Crockpot Caramel Apple Crumble I howsweeteats.com

Did I seriously make a dessert in the crockpot?

Wait… I’ll answer that for you.

But also… no. Because it’s not really dessert when you eat it for lunch, now is it? And then again for an afternoon snack. And not even for dessert, because at that point it has disappeared.

Don’t ask me.

Crockpot Caramel Apple Crumble I howsweeteats.com

I wanted to tell you that this was the best dessert I’ve had all month… I almost just said that it topped my weekend too. I was totally prepared! Except last night I ended up having my first bite of a napoleon and I practically melted onto my plate. The filling was creamy but custard-like, fluffy but thick… and all I could think about was how I wish I had some of these apples left so I could dollop a massive spoonful on top.

Well that, and how amazing the green chile cheeseburgers we ate for dinner were. And how I always seem to manage to smash both of my whole hands inside of hot chile peppers then immediately into my eyeballs. I’m a treat.

But anyway. I don’t want to get off track. It’s not like I’m sitting here watching Dirty Soap or anything because I’M DEFINITELY NOT. You have my full attention.

Crockpot Caramel Apple Crumble I howsweeteats.com

Dessert in the crockpot is cool. Kinda weird… but cool. I’ve always been hesitant to slow cook something sweet, considering I’m such a visual person and need my desserts to look somewhat appealing, albeit smothered in drizzled chocolate and peanut butter. But this managed to still resemble an apple dessert after taking a long, hot bath on a layer of sugar. I call it a “crumble” because the topping is not crisp enough to be a “crisp”, but is still crumbly and chewy and fantastic. If you cook it a little longer, it may get more crispy. Whatever. I want to live inside it.

And I used honeycrisp apples. Which I’m pretty sure are not meant for baking or spending a ton of time in a heat-blasted environment, but uh… they’re honeycrisps. I wait all year for these. No way I wasn’t using them. And they were delicious.

Crockpot Caramel Apple Crumble I howsweeteats.com

Oh and wait! Here’s a thought… how about you don’t ask me if you can forgo the sugar in this recipe? You know, like the blanket of sweetness that covers the entire bottom of the pot? It’s necessary for the whole “caramel” thing we’ve got going on here. Because of that, you really only need a tiny bowl with a small scoop of vanilla bean ice cream, and you can watch it slowly melt over each apple chunk and flow into a river of caramel. Completely decadent and fall-like. In fact, I just described my perfect ending.

Crockpot Caramel Apple Crumble I howsweeteats.com

Crockpot Caramel Apple Crumble

[crisp from my blueberry balsamic crisp]

serves 4-6

1 cup brown sugar

1/2 cup granulated sugar

5 large apples, cut into chunks

1/4 teaspoon salt

1 teaspoon cinnamon

topping

2/3 cup oats

2/3 cup loosely packed brown sugar

1/4 cup flour

1/2 teaspoon cinnamon

3-4 tablespoons softened butter

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Toss apple chunks with salt and cinnamon.

In the bottom of your slow-cooker [mine is 7 quarts], mix brown and granulated sugars, then spread evenly to cover. Layer apples on top, keeping them in a single layer as much as possible, then adding the rest of top.

Mix the crumble topping together in a bowl, using your fingers to distribute the butter evenly and thoroughly and clump it together. Sprinkle it over top of the apples. Cook apples on low for 4 hours, or high for 2 hours. Turn off heat, unplug, and let sit, covered, for one hour. During this time the caramel will thicken a bit more. Serve with vanilla ice cream.

Note: this “caramel” sauce is not your typical thick and gooey caramel – it does thicken in the crockpot once cooled.

Crockpot Caramel Apple Crumble I howsweeteats.com

Ugh. You have no idea how badly I wish a plate of this was sitting in front of me right now.

173 Responses to “Crockpot Caramel Apple Crumble.”

Katie — October 25, 2011 @ 9:17 am

Oh My Goodness! and Yum! is all I have to say…

Skinny Fat Kid — October 25, 2011 @ 9:57 am

I’m on a crazy slow cooker fix, but have never done dessert! There’s a first time for everything!

Connie — October 25, 2011 @ 10:23 am

LOOKS so YUMMY!! I’m also VERY interested in the recipe for green chile cheeseburgers!

Jaan — October 25, 2011 @ 10:29 am

O.M.G. It looks like Heaven!! But did you really have to describe it in a way that, well, is making me crazy? We don’t have crockpots/slowcookers over in this part of the world. BUT, that doesn’t mean I can’t come up with a way of cooking it. Hmm, maybe in a claypot over charcoal. Oh, must really try a way to make this one.

Sara @ Sara Says.. Bake. — October 25, 2011 @ 12:25 pm

I wanted to make this today, but I got home and realized I was out of brown sugar. That won’t do at all!

Laura — October 25, 2011 @ 2:13 pm

YUMMM! This looks so good! I am definitely going to try this :)

Keshia — October 25, 2011 @ 4:56 pm

I’m assuming that the cinnamon and the salt in the top gets mixed in with the sugars??? Right????

• Jessica — October 25th, 2011 @ 5:05 pm

Nope – you toss the apples with it. First step in the recipe!

• Keshia — October 25th, 2011 @ 5:41 pm

Ha! Shows how well I can read!!! Well I made a little tweak. Can’t wait to try it!

Jen at The Three Little Piglets — October 25, 2011 @ 9:02 pm

At least you waited until lunch! I was thinking man that would be good for breakfast…

Jessie — October 25, 2011 @ 9:19 pm

Um I made this immediately after I read your post yesterday even though it was already 7 pm. I had a big helping at lunch and will be having more momentarily. this is amazing. and felt so much easier than the oven for some reason. thank you!

Kaitlin — October 26, 2011 @ 9:04 am

This was sooo amazing! My fiance decided it is his perfect dessert, definitely making it again soon!

Also, like you when I was home along last week i had to change the channel every time the Paranormal Activity 3 previews came on, so creepy.

Michelle G — October 26, 2011 @ 11:18 am

Made it and LOVED it! Hubby is not (normally) a fan of fruit crumbles/cobblers because the fruit is too mushy for him, but with the peels left on the apples still had a tiny bit of texture to them and he loved it as well. Another winner… thanks!

Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction — October 28, 2011 @ 7:52 am

Just the other day, I was contemplating if making apple crisp in the slow cooker would work. And you’ve answered my question with a resounding yes… Looks delish!

Shelly Knight — October 29, 2011 @ 8:50 pm

This is amazing! We made it and are trying to now find motivation to carve pumpkins…but we might just keep eating. Soooooooo good!

Marla @ Your Full Plate — October 30, 2011 @ 10:32 am

Made this yesterday and absolutely LOVED it! I added extra crumble, because that’s my favorite part. Also, it was really easy to make it gluten free by using brown rice flour and gluten free oats. This was such a delicious, easy way to use the apples we brought home from apple picking… thanks so much.

Tessa — November 4, 2011 @ 12:53 am

I would absolutely have to scoop some of this caramel sauce over the ice cream too. Sounds great!

Katie — November 4, 2011 @ 10:17 am

This looks so, so good. Making it this weekend for a brunch. One question: can you make it ahead a day and warm in in the crockpot in the morning? Seems like you could but don’t want to overcook!

Ronda — December 15, 2011 @ 10:08 am

I made this the other day and brought it over to my parents and my mom keeps asking when I’m going to make more. It is wonderful and perfect and thanks for sharing because it was one of the best and easiest desserts I ever made.

Stephanie — January 22, 2012 @ 4:58 pm

Just put this in the crock pot! Can’t wait to try it! I peeled the apples, so hopefully it holds it shape! Thanks for the pictures to get my mouth drooling!

Ellen — February 14, 2012 @ 8:41 pm

Looks deadly. Do you think steel cut oats would work with this recipe or do we need the bulk of the fluffy part?

• Jessica — February 14th, 2012 @ 8:52 pm

Haven’t tried but I want to say no – I don’t think they will soften up enough.

lint — April 19, 2012 @ 3:10 pm

This looks so delicious. I will definitely start following you, this is amazing.

Em — August 27, 2012 @ 7:55 pm

I was searhing for a slow cooker apple crumble recipe and came across this. It just finished cooking and it is incredible!!! Thanks for the wonderful recipe and a new blog to follow!

Tom — September 18, 2012 @ 11:50 pm

I’ve had this recipe floating around in my bookmarks for the last year and change. FINALLY got around to making it tonight. HoLEE CRAP. Delicious!

• Tom — September 18th, 2012 @ 11:52 pm

I should mention, I used quick oats instead of old fashioned and the topping kinda clumped up. Still tastes amazing but the texture isn’t what I’d call remotely crumbly. Kinda more like little clobs of oatmeal cookie dough in there…still though. Yummo.

Rachel — September 29, 2012 @ 12:20 am

I want to make this for a family gathering. Do you think you could double it and still get great results?

Noemi — October 29, 2012 @ 8:33 pm

I just made this, and it is just soooo sweet, I hate to say that it is too sweet for me. Next time I attempt it, I will be using far less sugar!

Jen P. — November 1, 2012 @ 2:56 pm

Do you peel the apples or leave the skin on?

LC — November 16, 2012 @ 4:43 pm

OH MY GOSH. I put this together before I went to work (perfect timing becuase I only worked a 4 hour shift) and I just got home and tried it. I could eat it all! I may not be able to save it for my party tonight! Thanks!

rapid weight loss — April 16, 2013 @ 12:42 pm

I’ve read some excellent stuff here. Certainly worth bookmarking for revisiting. I wonder how much attempt you place to make the sort of excellent informative site.

Bronwyn — October 11, 2013 @ 8:58 am

Silly question…can you forego the sugar?

JUST KIDDING!

But seriously, can you leave out the oats? Are they strictly there for texture, or do they serve a larger purpose in life? Only reason I’m asking is because I have all the other ingredients at home already, and I’m too lazy to go to the store before I make this. Unless or course the oats are a requirement.

• Jessica — October 12th, 2013 @ 9:07 am

i think it depends on what you want… without the oats this really won’t be a crumble, it will just be apples. so if you don’t mind that, then you can prob leave out the oats!

Hielspoor — October 23, 2013 @ 4:20 am

Looks delicious! Thank you very much.

Emma — October 25, 2013 @ 10:57 am

This looks amazing and YUMMY! I’m going to have to try it. I even featured it in a post today http://www.agoodmanymiracles.com/2013/10/october-recipe-round-up.html

Heather — October 28, 2013 @ 9:04 pm

I served this for dessert tonight with a scoop of pumpkin ice cream from Trader Joe’s. It was fantastic! My whole family was raving! Perfect fall flavors!

Thanks for sharing.

Alexandria — February 1, 2014 @ 9:49 pm

I actually made this last night, and it took around an hour and a half to finish. I substituted granola instead of oats. I like sweet things but it was definitely to sweet for myself and my family. I would cut the sugar down by half. I also used Granny Smith apples because those are my favorite to bake with. Other then those small changes definitely worth it!! We will be making this again!

Emily W — September 20, 2014 @ 8:12 pm

I made this tonight for guests and it was so delicious! I was looking forward to having leftovers but there was none left! Thanks so much for sharing!

1. Pingback: Rather Be Baking « crockpot caramel apple cranberry crumble

2. Pingback: Easy Amazing Recipes | love your way

3. Pingback: Winter Fruit Crockpot Crisp

4. Pingback: Slow Cooker Roundup | Baked by Rachel

5. Pingback: Crockpotting « seetastelove

6. Pingback: Why Is My Mac Slow Starting Up

7. Pingback: Crockpot Caramel Apple Crumble « Pure Complex

8. Pingback: Crockpot Apple Caramel Crumble « summday summway

9. Pingback: Visiting Saugerties + Mushy Foods | Sweet and Savoring

10. Pingback: Visiting Saugerties Lighthouse + Mushy Foods | Sweet and Savoring

11. Pingback: 7 Ways to Have a Stress Free Holiday Meal + 7 Holiday Crock Pot Recipes | A Day in Motherhood

12. Pingback: Crock Pot Recipes

13. Pingback: Football Food! [135 Recipes For Football Season.] | How Sweet It Is

14. Pingback: Whole and Heavenly Oven - Over 30 (Time-Saving!) Slow-Cooker Recipes

15. Pingback: Crock Pot Desserts – Slow Cooker Sunday | Allie Gower