Do you want to know what I did yesterday?

Blue Cheese Biscuits with Pinot Noir Butter I howsweeteats.com

Probably not. You probably don’t care because uh, hello… you have a real life.

But I don’t have any friends and need to tell someone, so you’re out of luck today.

I went on a hunt for a new scent for my husband. Basically, because I have NO IDEA WHAT TO GET HIM FOR CHRISTMAS (even though you gave me some excellent ideas last week) and have almost considered buying Hickory Farms beef sticks for his stocking. Not joking.

I thought maybe I could get him some new cologne, although it is safe to say that I am obsessed with what he currently wears – Burberry Touch – and can hardly think straight when I smell it. Take that as you will.

Anyhoo. I joined the throngs of shoppers and since it was com-pah-letely insane out there in shop world, there were no little paper tester thingies to spray cologne on and place below your sniffer. Uh, problem!

Blue Cheese Biscuits with Pinot Noir Butter I howsweeteats.com

So I sprayed it on myself. My arms… my hands… my neck… my elbow. That little crevice thing between my thumb and fore finger. About 13 different kinds. Not entirely sure why I found this to be a wise idea since I can barely stand in Bath and Body Works without sneezing my actual face off. Yes, my actual face. But I did it anyway. Me = loopy.

I was just soooo desperate.

After about 10 minutes I started to feel pretty ill. And I smelled like a man. Not a good man either. Like one of those dirty old men that drenches himself in cologne then puts on a fedora and heads to the nearest college watering hole hoping to pick up girls 40 years younger than him.

And just so you know, all these times I’m typing cologne? I’m saying it out loud like CO-LOG-NEE.

Blue Cheese Biscuits with Pinot Noir Butter I howsweeteats.com

Then it gave me a migraine. I scrubbed my body down with soap and loofahs but to no avail – I could NOT get rid of the scentseses. I had to scrap all plans of exciting stuff I had going on at night, which was precisely nothing. I came home giftless but with one major decision: Mr. How Sweet will never wear anything but Burberry Touch for as long as he lives. Ever.

Even though I was on the verge of upchucking thanks to the manly fumes lingering on my body, I was starrrrrved. Holidays do that to you. So I ate an egg on top of one of these biscuits.

Oh… My… Gawd.

Blue Cheese Biscuits with Pinot Noir Butter I howsweeteats.com

I made the biscuits earlier in the week – nervously, I should add, since they were a bit out of the flavor box even for ME. But the minute they came out of the oven, I inhaled three. THREE! Before I even snapped a shot, I gobbled them. Well, I gobbled 2 1/3 of them. Note picture #4.

Is it too wild to declare this my favorite thing I have made in all of 2011? Because I’m pretty sure it is. The flavor… OMG the flavor. Can’t even explain. Out of this world. So in love. One of my personal goals for 2011 was to challenge myself and bake more bread type things. I’m trying to experience as much bread making as I can in hopes that soon enough I’ll be able to develop my own yeasted bread recipes because that’s like, sort of hard. Do you want a fun goal for 2012? Do this.

Blue Cheese Biscuits with Pinot Noir Butter I howsweeteats.com

I’m pretty sure that these biscuits and butter would make an excellent addition to your holiday cheese plate. And I’m ever surer that they’d make a fabulous side dish.

And a really good snack. (I should know.)

And even a nice little mouth for a mini sandwich. (Hello egg.)

Blue Cheese Biscuits with Pinot Noir Butter I howsweeteats.com

And the best part of this whole thing? I opened a bottle of wine at 1 o’clock in the afternoon just to snap these photos for you. Oh… and to make butter. BUTTER. Butter with WINE in it. Butter made with wine! I have a TON of this butter left. I could not be more excited because the next thing it is going on? A thick, juicy piping hot filet. I may just die on the spot.

Ooooh and make sure you use some wine that you actually like to drink. I used La Crema because that’s what I drank in Sonoma with Christina, and it tasted gooooood. But you don’t have to listen to me. After all that time in wine country I still don’t know jack, and drink Riesling with tomato sauce and put ice cubes in my Merlot. Sorry.

Blue Cheese Biscuits with Pinot Noir Butter I howsweeteats.com

Soooo yeah. No doubt, you gotta make these. Today please.

Blue Cheese Biscuits with Pinot Noir Butter I howsweeteats.com

Blue Cheese Biscuits

[slightly adapted from my cranberry biscuits, which were adapted from bon appetit]

makes about 20 round biscuits

3 cups all-purpose flour

1/2 teaspoon granulated sugar

4 teaspoons baking powder

1/2 teaspoon salt

1 teaspoon baking soda

1 1/2 sticks (3/4 cup) cold butter, cut into pieces

1 1/4 cups milk (whole or 2%)

6 ounces gorgonzola cheese (or your favorite blue), crumbled

Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.

In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, salt, baking powder and soda, and whisk until combined. Using a fork, pastry blender or your hands, add butter pieces to the flour and mix until coarse little crumbles remain. Add in crumbled gorgonzola. Pour in milk and stir with a spoon until just combined, not overmixing. Use your hands if needed to bring the dough together – I did.

Use a 1/4 cup measure to drop batter onto a nonstick baking sheet, or press dough on a sheet of parchment paper or cutting board, then using a biscuit cutter to shape the dough into rounds. Bake for 10-12 minutes, or until biscuits are golden brown.

Pinot Noir Butter

[slightly adapted from Bobby Flay’s Bar Americain]

1 stick (1/2 cup) unsalted butter, softened to room temperature

1 1/2 cups pinot noir

1/8 teaspoon sea salt

pinch of black pepper

Bring the wine to a boil in a saucepan (be careful so it does not boil over!) and cook until reduced to just under  1/4 cup – this took me about 15 minutes. Let cool completely.

Once wine is cool, combine with softened butter, salt and pepper, and mix thoroughly to combine. I had some issues with the butter absorbing all of the wine, so what I did was place the entire bowl in the fridge, and pop it out every 15 minutes or so, mixing really well with a spoon until all of the wine mixed in. Once mixed completely, chill in the fridge for about 5 minutes, then form into a square or log with your hands and wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate until ready to use – best if used after 2-3 days so the flavors can mesh!

Blue Cheese Biscuits with Pinot Noir Butter I howsweeteats.com

K thanks bye.

172 Responses to “Blue Cheese Biscuits with Pinot Noir Butter.”

Sandra — December 16, 2011 @ 9:59 am

One of the most fun things for me in 2011 was discovering your blog. You crack me up!
    Have a wonderful holiday!!!!!

Angela — December 16, 2011 @ 10:05 am

Bread, blue cheese, wine…you sure do know the way to this girl’s heart. Seriously…I need this in my life!

Kat Collins — December 16, 2011 @ 10:12 am

This sounds absolutely to die for~ it combines three of my favorite loves – bread, cheese, and wine! I am so going to be making this for Christmas dinner!!

Oh…and shopping for men’s cologne is a beast…most smell like greasy old men or a pimp trying to impress.

Love the blog!

Kat

HeatherChristo — December 16, 2011 @ 11:06 am

I’m having the worst time finding present’s too. He literally has everything x10., and it’s his 40th right after new years- double screw. Try Taschen.com for amazing books- I wind up getting him one every year. I’m also considering going to salumi (mario batali’s dads place) and buying like huge salamis and a prosciutto leg, etc and hanging them in the wine cellar. Meat’s a good gift, right?

Adele — December 16, 2011 @ 1:27 pm

OH MY EFFING GOD!! I can’t believe you did this! And WINE butter!!!!!!!?? I will def be making these. Also this post is sooooo hilarious, but I’m sorry you got the migraine!!

Cheryl — December 16, 2011 @ 3:01 pm

Thank you so much for bringing good food and laughter to us everyday! You crack me up with your wonderful wit and your recipes are absolutely scrumptuous. I hope you and Mr. Sweet have a wonderful Christmas and a Happy Happy New Year! I look forward to more laughs and recipes with you :)

Jolene (www.everydayfoodie.ca) — December 16, 2011 @ 7:21 pm

Can’t wait to make that butter!!!!!

amy s — December 16, 2011 @ 8:00 pm

uhhhh i just made these. my mouth exploded with delish. so freaking good!!! i even sub’ed the butter for 1 small carton of plain greek yogurt and some smart balance butter. and they are still divine. love them!! <3

Michaela — December 16, 2011 @ 8:45 pm

you don’t really put ice cubes into your Merlot, do you?!
    ooooooooommmmmmmmmmg, you have to, really, you HAVE TO make ice cream with this butter!!! I mean it. Seriously. It is divine.

Jen — December 16, 2011 @ 11:07 pm

As I think to myself there is no way…then looking at the pictures I say (out loud I might add), “oh yes she did!” Then you totally had me at the picture of the purple butter and the words LA CREMA! Totally one of my fav-o-rite Pinot Noir. Oh and my husband will add ice to anything, including the La Crema.

Katie @ Peace Love & Oats — December 17, 2011 @ 2:30 pm

oh my gosh, pinot noir butter??? that looks soooo good! My mother loves wine and would love that! Such a cool idea!

Lisa [With Style and Grace] — December 17, 2011 @ 5:15 pm

shut up. pinot noir BUTTER?! I love you.

Karla Cole — December 17, 2011 @ 8:48 pm

I’m getting my something so romantic- new batteries for his Makita drill- Is that great or what? Romance , schmorance- ain’t happenin’ here but will definitely make the biscuits and wine butter.That sounds divine!
    Can’t wait to try it .
    Love your site- so fun
    Merry Christmas ( I don’t care if it’s not proper, that’s the way I was raised and I like it)
    and a Happy Prosperous 2012

Lauren — December 18, 2011 @ 1:14 am

I didn’t make the butter, but I DID make these biscuits for a potluck tonight, and they were a huge hit! I’ve been making biscuits forever but somehow putting cheese in them had never occurred to me–so good!

The Americaine — December 18, 2011 @ 6:29 pm

This pinot noir butter is so beautiful! I will definitely have to give it a try…on everything!

julia — December 18, 2011 @ 11:05 pm

Ice cubes in wine, it’s like ice cubes in chocolate milk, which is a very good idea. I am IN LOOOOOOVE with these biscuits and butter. Amazing flavor combo. I’d like te bottle thee and wear them as perfume…

Foodiewife — December 19, 2011 @ 1:02 am

My husband drinks wine out of jelly glasses. So Ghetto. For real. I love him anyway. I’m not wine expert. But, this butter is one of the most brilliant idea I’ve ever seen! I’ve seen gorgonzola butter. Bleu Cheese butter. But wine butter? I love this. I’m so borrowing this one, on top of a steak. That’s got the O-M-G factor. By the way. My husband can’t wear cologne. He’s allergic. So, I sniff sample bottles. Fortunately, I’m not allergic.

Gwen — December 19, 2011 @ 1:40 am

I’m up for the challenge! This is so fancy, I totally think my friends will be impressed

Katy @ HaveYouHurd — December 19, 2011 @ 11:40 am

You are seriously so freaking funny. I started reading your blog after I found it on CookinFanatic.com and I’m so glad I did. This recipe looks UNREAL! And I’m oh oh sorry to hear about your smell-like-a-50-year-old-creep incident. Good thing you still have your face though.

MariaBJ — December 19, 2011 @ 11:44 am

I can’t stand the smell either the taste or flavor of blue cheese – I’d WISH I could!!!! STILL, you make me want to give these a try. Way to go, Jess!!! Beautiful mouthwatering pictures, as always. You really made me laugh hard (again!) with this post, as I am sitting here, all alone in my apartment. Only feeling a liiiittle bit nuts, ha ha ha :)
    Love, Maria

Lane — December 22, 2011 @ 4:29 pm

Success! I made these biscuits and butter for a party on Sunday. Everyone enjoyed them! I probably only got a few tablespoons into the butter though. I have no idea how you got a whole 1/4 cup in there. It was still good though! Then I used my new Christmas cookie cutters as biscuit cutters for fun. : )
    Merry Christmas Jessica, thank you for sharing so much happiness with us!

Brandon @ Kitchen Konfidence — December 27, 2011 @ 1:52 pm

Such a wonderful color on that butter! I’m thinking you could also melt a dab or two of it over some freshly grilled steaks. Yum!

Casey — March 16, 2012 @ 2:54 pm

Oh my goodness. I’m so glad I’ve found you. I want to be your neighbor. Everything I’ve clicked on here is phenomenal, and hysterical. I’m well aware that you wrote this months ago but, oh well. I especially loved the fragrance hunting bit. I worked at a fragrance store and used to come home smelling like a French hooker. I feel your pain. Anyways thanks. You’re amazing.

Elle — June 13, 2012 @ 1:36 am

So, I saw this a while ago, and FINALLY decided to make them. The biscuits were very easy. My style. But when I tasted them, they seemed much too salty. Is this just my taste buds? The blue cheese I used? Would the texture be the same w/o the salt? (So many questions).

Also, when I made these, I was planning on bringing them to a little party, and I figured that not everyone likes blue cheese. So I split the dry mix in half and added 3oz parmesan cheese and a whole ton of fresh basil to them. Those were phenomenal.

I did blue cheese with the rest, and I only used 3oz. Why so salty? Any advice?

Ps- I look forward to reading your blog daily!

• Jessica — June 13th, 2012 @ 7:00 am

If the parmesan ones tasted okay, then I’m guessing your blue cheese was just really salty??

Ashley — July 6, 2012 @ 2:14 am

This sounds amazing!! Can’t wait to try!

Kathy — July 16, 2012 @ 5:09 pm

Incredible! I am trying this for friends/neighbours next week for sure. Delish!

Tina CMW — December 13, 2012 @ 10:32 am

I was wondering if you have tried freezing the biscuit mix to keep for later? I would like to give these recipes as a gift to my daughter-in-laws parents…and making it ahead of time… Going to add a bit of roasted garlic and some fresh thyme to the butter, how long would it keep if wrapped tightly? Freezing would be ok?

• Tina CMW — December 14th, 2012 @ 12:10 pm

just going to mix the dry ingredients, and give that plus the other ingredients with the recipe…the butter should be ok, thx for the recipes, you rock

drea — January 23, 2014 @ 12:56 am

I still cannot believe how incredibly moist these biscuits are! Going to experiment with goat cheese next, brilliant idea!

PS: Do you have any tips or recipes for off the charts cinnamon baked goods? I want something as moist as these biscuits but exploding with cinnamon flavor and not too sweet.

Cheryl — February 4, 2014 @ 11:17 am

I made these last night and they were delicious!! So glad I stumbled across your blog (thanks Pinterest). I would like to make these this weekend but I’ll be in a time crunch. Do you think I could make the dough the night before and bake them off the next day? I’m guessing it should be fine but your expertise would be appreciated. :) I want to take them with me while they’re still warm. Great recipe!

1. Pingback: Current Obsessions, Vol. 1 |

2. Pingback: weekend cooking « the pilot's wife

3. Pingback: Because they’re buttery, boozy, biscuits… and because I said so. | My Blog

4. Pingback: gorgonzola biscuits and pinot noir butter « spill the beans

5. Pingback: An Ode to Biscuits | Living Aloud Allowed

6. Pingback: Amaretto Soaked Strawberry + Blueberry Shortcakes with Mascarpone Whipped Cream | How Sweet It Is

7. Pingback: Boozy Red, White + Blueberry Shortcake Sliders with Mascarpone Whipped Cream. | Lifestyle Pins

8. Pingback: Amaretto Soaked Strawberry + Blueberry Shortcake Sliders with Mascarpone Whipped Cream | How Sweet It Is

9. Pingback: Boozy Red, White + Blueberry Shortcake Sliders with Mascarpone Whipped Cream. » A Bowl Full Of Blogs

10. Pingback: Sweet Potato Breakfast Biscuits | How Sweet It Is

11. Pingback: Sweet Potato Breakfast Biscuits. | Lifestyle Pins

12. Pingback: Sweet Potato Breakfast Biscuits. » A Bowl Full Of Blogs

13. Pingback: RePost: Personal Favorite | Blue Cheese Biscuits – How Sweet It Is | Living Aloud Allowed

14. Pingback: Blue cheese biscuits from How Sweet It Is | the Pen and the Pan