I’m sharing this with you today in hopes that you are exactly like me.

Which means you have nothing done for the holiday that is taking place… today. Which means you’re a last minute sorta person. Which means that you will get your act together in, oh… maybe an hour or so. Which means I really love you.

Hmmmm so what do we have here?

Sky high vanilla bean biscuits.

Lightly sweetened mascarpone whipped cream.

Amaretto drenched berries.

A fresh mint sprig! For looks. You know.

And for all you crazies who enjoy a lighter dessert… without anything too rich or too sweet… because you lack a sweet tooth or some wacko business like that… well, these are for you! Seriously. Celebrate we will.

Boozy Strawberry Blueberry Vanilla Bean Shortcakes

[idea adapted from bon appetit, biscuits adapted from blue cheese biscuits]

makes about 12 cakes

2 cups chopped strawberries

1 1/2 cups blueberries

1/2 cup amaretto liqueur

3 cups all-purpose flour

1/4 cup granulated sugar

4 teaspoons baking powder

1 teaspoon baking soda

1/2 teaspoon salt

1 1/2 sticks (3/4 cup) cold butter, cut into pieces

1 large egg

1 cup milk

1 1/2 tablespoons vanilla bean paste

fresh mint for garnish

Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.

A few hours before making the cakes, place the berries in a bowl and add liqueur. Stir to combine, then let sit at room temperature, stirring every half hour or so.

In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, salt, baking powder and soda, and whisk until combined. Using a fork, pastry blender or your hands, add butter pieces to the flour and mix until coarse little crumbles remain. Mix egg and milk together, then pour in and stir with a spoon until just combined, not over mixing. Add in vanilla bean paste. Use your hands if needed to bring the dough together – I did.

Use a 1/3 cup measure to drop batter onto a nonstick baking sheet, or press dough on a sheet of parchment paper or cutting board into a 1-inch thick slab, then using a biscuit cutter to shape the dough into rounds. Bake for 10-12 minutes, or until biscuits are golden brown. Let cool completely.

Once cool, slice cakes in half and fill with mascarpone whipped cream and berries.

Mascarpone Whipped Cream

1 cup heavy whipping cream, cold

4 ounces mascarpone cheese, at room temperature

2-3 tablespoons powdered sugar

1/4 teaspoon vanilla extact

In the bowl of your electric mixer (fitted with a whisk attachment), add heavy cream and mascarpone. Beat on medium high speed until peaks form, about 4-5 minutes. Toss in sugar and vanilla, mixing until just combined. Serve immediately!

Happy 4th of Juuuuuuuuly you sparkly little firecrackers!

35 Responses to “Boozy Red, White + Blueberry Shortcake Sliders with Mascarpone Whipped Cream.”

Wenderly — July 4, 2012 @ 7:07 am

Lovely!!! Happy 4th!

Cristy — July 4, 2012 @ 7:12 am

If I was exactly like you I’d be churning out delicious concoctions on demand. Alas, I live (and eat) vicariously through you. :) happy 4th!!

Heather (Heather's Dish) — July 4, 2012 @ 7:38 am

Sliders in dessert form = pure genius

Kristen @ notsodomesticated — July 4, 2012 @ 7:39 am

I have a giant sweet tooth … but this “not-so sweet” dessert looks amazing! Can I just eat it with a side of chocolate? That will take care of my sweet tooth. ;)

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat — July 4, 2012 @ 8:06 am

You had me at the vanilla bean biscuits! I also love the amaretto idea.. I have an amaretto flavoured tea from Davids Tea right now and I can’t get enough of it! Happy 4th of July Jess – I hope you and Mr How Sweet have a great one!

Devon | the food bitch blog — July 4, 2012 @ 8:20 am

I snorted when I read “boozy” in the title, so naturally, I love it. Happy 4th!

Abby Flynt — July 4, 2012 @ 8:24 am

Sounds perfect. Where do you get this vanilla bean paste??

Jen @ Savory Simple — July 4, 2012 @ 8:26 am

Oh how I wish I had this for breakfast right now…

allie@sweetpotatobites.com — July 4, 2012 @ 8:50 am

dessert sliders – love it! especially boozy ones…

Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers — July 4, 2012 @ 9:13 am

Oh boy! Yum!! I love this dessert!! Nothing like shortcake sliders with cream whip topping, fruit and booze!!! Dam!

Brenda @ a farmgirl's dabbles — July 4, 2012 @ 9:18 am

I forgot how I used to like to drink amaretto until now. This sounds like a beautiful combination. And I LOVE how you pile on the whipped cream. That’s how it’s done around here! A happy & safe 4th to you!!

Ali @ Gimme Some Oven — July 4, 2012 @ 9:25 am

The perfect red, white and blue!!! These would make for a fabulous, amaretto-y 4th. :)

Rachel {Studio Cuisine} — July 4, 2012 @ 9:29 am

Yum! These look oh-so-refreshing. The amaretto certainly doesn’t make them any less appealing ;)

Hilliary@Brunch and Cupcakes — July 4, 2012 @ 9:35 am

Oh my these look delicious! I hope you have a wonderful 4th of july!

Liz @ Tip Top Shape — July 4, 2012 @ 10:08 am

These look great!! I love anything with mascarpone cheese!

Brooke — July 4, 2012 @ 10:59 am

Hey! Gotta have mint! It’s your vegetables! Which technically makes it healthy. So you am eat all you want!!

ellenbcookery — July 4, 2012 @ 12:11 pm

Oh my, this is special. I love it!

Averie @ Averie Cooks — July 4, 2012 @ 12:57 pm

I love amaretto and amaretto sours was one of the first (underage) drinks I ever ordered in a bar…I was such a rebel, I know. Some people would do shots, I did amaretto. Lol

These look great!

Sam @ Better With Sprinkles — July 4, 2012 @ 1:11 pm

you definitely caught my attention with the amaretto – amazing stuff! Are these an acceptable lunch option? :-)

Canette — July 4, 2012 @ 4:27 pm

Ohh, it looks perfect. I like watching those summer fruits :)

Kelly — July 4, 2012 @ 4:28 pm

Those biscuits look pretty damn amazing. Wow!

Ashley @ Wishes and Dishes — July 5, 2012 @ 2:48 am

This is gonna sound weird but I love amaretto! hahaha. That’s what stood out to me in this. These are genius…for real.

Kim — July 5, 2012 @ 6:10 am

As I’m not American I don’t really understand the red/blue/white and starts&stripes kinda craziness when it comes to 4th of July cooking, but I’ve pinned this one because it looks so damn delicious :) thanks for sharing!

Katrina — July 5, 2012 @ 6:14 am

Whoa. So awesome!

Moni Meals — July 5, 2012 @ 10:53 am

Man, I missed this post, this is the best fourth recipe and it is calling my name!! I will save it for next year!

idiosyncratic eye — July 5, 2012 @ 11:52 am

Mmm, cream tea. :)

nicole @ I am a Honey Bee — July 5, 2012 @ 3:44 pm

strawberries or mixed berry shortcake is my favorite summertime dessert. always a biscuit. never, ever a sponge cake. Add some booze an dyou have yourself a winner!

Sam — July 5, 2012 @ 4:33 pm

Yumm! We make shortcake and fruit desserts in the summer a lot… but why have I never thought of soaking the fruit in some sort of boozy concoction? ;) Can’t wait to try it!

Gaby — July 5, 2012 @ 7:19 pm

I love berry and cream desserts! I never thought of pairing it with amaretto, though. It looks like I’ll be trying that sometime soon.

Meghan @ After the Ivy League — July 5, 2012 @ 9:21 pm

This is such a fun twist on the standard trifle berry dish for the 4th of July. Love it! Wish I ate it yesterday! haha

Javelin Warrior — July 6, 2012 @ 12:23 am

More deliciousness for me to drool over! I’m featuring this in today’s Food Fetish Friday (with a link-back and attribution). I hope you have no objections and it’s always fun to be following along with your creations…

Erin @ The Speckled Palate — July 6, 2012 @ 7:18 pm

Aww, maaaaan. Had I been going through my Google Reader on Wednesday, I seriously might have made these because they look awesome — and I honestly cannot think of anything more wonderful than berries soaked in amaretto. Yum!

I hope you and yours had a lovely 4th and a wonderful weekend, too!

Katie @ ohshineon — July 7, 2012 @ 2:24 pm