Say hello to my new favorite appetizer.

Crispy Parmesan Potato Puffs I howsweeteats.com

Don’t be shy.

Crispy Parmesan Potato Puffs I howsweeteats.com

I found this gem a few weeks ago while sorting through Mother Lovett’s recipes… and aren’t these the best ones ever? I KNOW.

Crispy Parmesan Potato Puffs I howsweeteats.com

Yellowed newspaper and all. I don’t even get a newspaper. I don’t even read one. I live a sad, sorry life.

So, I’ve been hoarding this recipe for a few weeks waiting for the right day to hit it up, and apparently yesterday was it.

Because I was hungry.

Crispy Parmesan Potato Puffs I howsweeteats.com

Because it was raining? Because I was craving cloud-like puffed potatoes? Because I wanted something crunchy? Because I needed something to smother in Bone Suckin’ Sauce?

I’m going with all of the above.

Crispy Parmesan Potato Puffs I howsweeteats.com

I know it doesn’t really sound like something can be crispy and puffy at the same time… but guess what? It totally can. Crispy on the outside, soft and light on the inside. Yes yes and yes. And yes again. These are fabulously fantastic and make me want to only eat potatoes for the rest of my existence.

I’m cool with it.

Crispy Parmesan Potato Puffs I howsweeteats.com

Crispy Parmesan Potato Puffs

makes about 70 puffs

2 pounds russet potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks

2 tablespoons milk

3 tablespoons unsalted butter

1/4 teaspoon salt

1/8 teaspoon pepper

1 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese

2 tablespoons minced green onions

2 eggs, lightly beaten

3-4 cups seasoned panko bread crumbs

Add potatoes to a large pot of boiling water and cook until fork tender, about 20 minutes. Drain and add back to the pot, then mash with salt, pepper, butter and milk. Stir in parmesan and onions, then place the mixture in the fridge to cool for 15-20 minutes.

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.

Remove potatoes from fridge and roll into 1-inch balls. Dip in beaten egg, then cover in bread crumbs. Place on a baking sheet 1-2 inches apart, and hit each with a quick spritz of olive oil or cooking spray. Bake for 12-15 minutes, or until outside is crispy.

Note: I know this sounds like a fabulous idea for leftover mashed potatoes, but I can’t say for sure that the potatoes will hold up – it depends on the actual recipe you use and how much butter is added.

Crispy Parmesan Potato Puffs I howsweeteats.com

Are you thinking what I’m thinking?? SWEET POTATOES.

157 Responses to “Crispy Parmesan Potato Puffs.”

Jennifer@Peanut Butter and Peppers — December 22, 2011 @ 8:00 am

Hell yah! This would be awesome with sweet potatoes!!! I need to try this, what a cool recipe! Mother Lovette must of been an awesome cook!

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey — December 22, 2011 @ 8:10 am

I’ve always only wanted to eat potatoes for the rest of my life. Seriously. A potato every day. And Bone suckin’ sauce is so good I want to bathe in it. And then lick myself every day.

Oh yes I did.

M.J. — December 22, 2011 @ 8:10 am

I just had something like this the other night at a social..I was wondering how to make them! Thank you for reading my mind and posting this..:)..They were yummy!

leaf (the indolent cook) — December 22, 2011 @ 8:12 am

There is much enjoyment sorting through old recipes. This one does look like a winner. Such great little bites!

Lauren @ Healthy Food For Living — December 22, 2011 @ 8:13 am

Don’t hate me… but I’m totally envisioning these made with sweet potatoes. They’d probably turn out too soft, but I just prefer the orange spud to its white cousin. I’ll have to give it a try. Either way, the potato puffs look like a perfect party horse d’oeuvre!

Erica — December 22, 2011 @ 8:20 am

I want to make a batch, dip them in bbq sauce or yellow mustard and call it dinner tonight :)

• Jessica — December 22nd, 2011 @ 9:20 am

Totally do it – they were my lunch almost the exact same way!

Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga — December 22, 2011 @ 8:24 am

It’s sort of like making a twice-baked potato or some other potato dish where you cook something and then take that goodness and make it even better by adding the cheese and breadcrumbs and bake it…I don’t even “love” potatoes but I’d love these!

JulieD — December 22, 2011 @ 8:26 am

Oh hello!!! I’m definitely trying these soon. They are beautiful & I love everything about them!!

Heather (Heather's Dish) — December 22, 2011 @ 8:27 am

holy crap, 70 PUFFS?! that’s a ton of puffs…looks like you need me to come out there and help you eat them.

i’ll sacrifice :)

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat — December 22, 2011 @ 8:33 am

Ooooh yes I was hoping you were thinking sweet potatoes!! Your recipe title sounds much more delicious than “Crusty Potato Tidbits”! ;)

• Jessica — December 22nd, 2011 @ 9:19 am

Seriously, right? I did not like that name at all.

Julie @Savvy Eats — December 22, 2011 @ 8:36 am

Ooh, these would be fun with sweet potatoes!

Sommer@ASpicyPerspective — December 22, 2011 @ 8:39 am

Awwwe, I love those old news clipping recipes. How cool. The good ones never die.

Claire @ Live and Love to Eat — December 22, 2011 @ 8:43 am

These are so fancy and simple at the same time. You have a goldmine of recipes on your hands!

Renee - Kudos Kitchen — December 22, 2011 @ 8:46 am

These look insanely good. I like the idea of little potato bites you can pop into your mouth one after the other!

Rachel @ Not Rachael Ray — December 22, 2011 @ 8:47 am

Oh my gosh, I’m in LOVE! These look amazing!

Chrissy — December 22, 2011 @ 8:47 am

Yum! Looks delish! In regards to your little note about making them with left over mashed potatoes, lets be real…are there EVER mash potatoes left to be left over?

• Jessica — December 22nd, 2011 @ 9:19 am

Excellent point!

heather — December 22, 2011 @ 8:56 am

I am a fan of this idea!! I would be one to try it with those refrigerated country crock potatoes. I know that sounds pathetic, but I’m incredibly lazy when it comes to preparing savory food. (hehe)

Oooh, and I heart old newspaper recipes. :)

• Jessica — December 22nd, 2011 @ 9:19 am

When you make desserts like yours, there is NO reason to cook savory food. :)

Sarena (The Non-Dairy Queen) — December 22, 2011 @ 9:06 am

I would be all over these! I have a slight addiction to potatoes right now. I would say to an embarrassing degree, but I haven’t given details so we will leave it at that. I need to make these dairy free immediately!

Bev Weidner — December 22, 2011 @ 9:07 am

I……I just…..just can’t even….I….you…..it’s……..ugh……ILOVEIT.

Blog is the New Black — December 22, 2011 @ 9:23 am

Get in mah belly!

Anne — December 22, 2011 @ 9:27 am

These look delicious! Would you do the sweet potatoes sweet or savory? For some reason I’m not a sweet sweet potato fan :)

• Anita — December 22nd, 2011 @ 10:09 am

While I love sweet sweet potatoes, you make an excellent point. This would be awesome-sauce with some chili powder or something to give it just a little bite.

• Jessica — December 22nd, 2011 @ 11:25 am

Gah, I’m not even sure! I think I’d do both. :)

Stephanie — December 22, 2011 @ 9:30 am

First of all, crusty potato tidbits sounds like something I’d find under the stove or sofa. Just sayin’
    Second, this is TOTALLY breakfast today! I need to finish my Christmas shopping and carbs give you energy… riiiight? ;)

• Jessica — December 22nd, 2011 @ 11:25 am

Ew, seriously right? What a horrible name.

Lynne @ 365 Dys of Baking — December 22, 2011 @ 9:32 am

Oh yeah! I’m going with the sweet potatoes, but these look scrumptious, too.
    They also look really fun to eat and one of my first thoughts upon seeing those cute little balls was…
    “Food Fight!”
    I’ve never even been in a food fight, but these look like they would be a good weapon.
    I’m sorry.
    I think I’ll have my coffee now…

• Jessica — December 22nd, 2011 @ 11:25 am

You’re right. Now I sort of want to throw one of these at my husband and see what happens.

Katrina — December 22, 2011 @ 9:34 am

Yum! This is such a fun recipe!

Kim in MD — December 22, 2011 @ 9:39 am

Oh my…these lood amazing! This would be a great way to use up leftover mashed potatoes, and would be perfect for a cocktail party! I love your idea of using sweet potatoes…DO IT! ;-)

Tara @ Chip Chip Hooray — December 22, 2011 @ 9:41 am

Oh man…as someone of Irish descent, I am genetically programmed to love anything and everything involving potatoes. This is smaaaaashing.

• Jessica — December 22nd, 2011 @ 11:25 am

Me too. At ager 5 I used to tell people that potatoes were my favorite food.

Adrienne @ Midwestern Belle — December 22, 2011 @ 9:52 am

Ahh I just had Christmas cookies for breakfast and could totally move right along to these…

katie @KatieDid — December 22, 2011 @ 9:57 am

These would be divine smothered in some marinara sauce. Maybe you cold do like a chipotle sweet potato ball to give it a little kick, might be yummy!

The Mrs @ Success Along the Weigh — December 22, 2011 @ 9:57 am

Well how about that, the potato skins I was going to make for Christmas Eve just got switched to these!

Mal @ The Chic Geek — December 22, 2011 @ 10:15 am

yum, these look great!

Miriam — December 22, 2011 @ 10:17 am

Wow that’s so cool and looks yummy. I love that I can qualify must of your recipes as “cool”!

sheree — December 22, 2011 @ 10:19 am

I was thinking about adding bacon, but sure, sweet potatoes work too. ;)

• Jessica — December 22nd, 2011 @ 11:23 am

Um, I like your idea better.

Kelly — December 22, 2011 @ 10:21 am

YES! Sweet potatoes would be great in this!!

Kelly @ Laughter, Strength, and Food — December 22, 2011 @ 10:38 am

Love these! So cute!

Emily — December 22, 2011 @ 10:50 am

I found this recipe through pintrest! it looks so so yummy and Im thinking about making it for Christmas eve yummmm, but what dipping sauce would go good with these good bites?!

• Jessica — December 22nd, 2011 @ 11:23 am

I really think ANY dipping sauce would – think anything you would use with french fries. I ate them with BBQ sauce, my husband ate them with ketchup… but last night I had truffle mayo and I’m thinking that would be amazing with these!

Rachel @myurbanoven.com — December 22, 2011 @ 10:52 am

I want these now! I will be making these next week after Chirstmas and all the baking slows down. Such a great idea!

Laurie {Simply Scratch} — December 22, 2011 @ 10:58 am

I’d pop these like candy. Fo shurz!

Gen — December 22, 2011 @ 11:06 am

Yum!!!! I loove potatoes in any form! :D Can’t wait to try out this recipe!

Jessica @ Stylish Stealthy and Healthy — December 22, 2011 @ 11:06 am

They’re like super fancy tots. Like if a tot wore a tuxedo.

• Katelyn @ Chef Katelyn — December 22nd, 2011 @ 11:18 am

Hehehe. I second this.

DONT MIND ME, I’M JUST GOING TO EAT A BALL OF CHEESE

• Jessica — December 22nd, 2011 @ 11:22 am

Hahahah!

Melanie — December 22, 2011 @ 11:16 am

These look wonderful! I would like to try a sweet potato variation, with a little cinnamon & brown sugar. So many possibilities!

• Jessica — December 22nd, 2011 @ 11:22 am

Yeeeeah that sounds amazing.

Cassie @ bake your day — December 22, 2011 @ 11:21 am

I cherish those old yellowed newspaper recipes that have been passed down. I don’t get a newspaper either. I get most of my news from Twitter (SAD!) Everything is just right in the world with these. LOVE IT! ps- merry Christmas!

• Jessica — December 22nd, 2011 @ 11:22 am

I am the same way. ;) Merry Christmas to you!!

Ashley — December 22, 2011 @ 11:33 am

I can literally taste these right now! And they’re pretty flipping sweet. :) Oooh, you could totally make a “sweet” sweet potato version and a savory. Oh.yum. xo

Rachel @ Baked by Rachel — December 22, 2011 @ 11:35 am

Funny you post this – I made a fried version last year sometime and they were amazing! I’ll have to give this baked version a try too.

Tiff — December 22, 2011 @ 11:50 am

Those look goooood! They sound kind of like a cross between hush-puppies and gnocchi.

Amanda @ Once Upon a Recipe — December 22, 2011 @ 11:53 am

These are like super fabulous gourmet tater tots! Awesome.

Gina @ Running to the Kitchen — December 22, 2011 @ 11:54 am

Omg, these ARE the perfect party app. Sweet potatoes + a coconut, breadcrumb shell would be amazing!

• Jessica — December 22nd, 2011 @ 5:39 pm

OMG that would!!

Suzi — December 22, 2011 @ 12:09 pm

Wow, these look fabulous. I can make em, crispy crunchy and puffy all at once. Well done. Thanks for sharing this gem. Happy Holidays!

Karly — December 22, 2011 @ 12:16 pm

I make these with leftover mashed potatoes and add egg to help hold them together. I also, obviously, stir in cheddar cheese, bacon, and green onions. Duh. Then I fry ‘em. So, okay, they’re kind of different. Same general idea though. :)

• Jessica — December 22nd, 2011 @ 5:39 pm

Yours sound a lot more fun.

Brandee — December 22, 2011 @ 12:20 pm

These look delicious! But, um, well, I can’t stand parmesan cheese. Can I make it without? Should I substitute something else?

• Jessica — December 22nd, 2011 @ 5:39 pm

You can make it without, but I would definitely add another cheese for flavor. Whatever your favorite is!

Kris | iheartwellness.com — December 22, 2011 @ 12:32 pm

Oh heaven on earth….I’m coming over. I don’t care what you say, I’m coming over and we’re feasting on EVERYTHING you make! Just send me your addy ;) LOL

These look divine dollface!

xxoo

• Jessica — December 22nd, 2011 @ 5:38 pm

I’m IN! :)

1 2 3

1. Pingback: Easy New Year’s Eve Party On A Budget | RecipeLionBlog

2. Pingback: Just because Dr. Oz said so. « justus4carters

3. Pingback: Saturday Shuffle | A Nervous Tic Motion

4. Pingback: Sweet Potato Poppers « Live and Love to Eat

5. Pingback: Crispy Parmesan Potato Puffs « naturalfemina

6. Pingback: Crispy Parmesan Potato Puffs | Slinging Eggs and Bacon

7. Pingback: Crunchy Oven-Fried Cheese Ravioli | How Sweet It Is

8. Pingback: FOOD: Recipe – Crispy Parmesan Potato Puffs | A Girl Named Spark…..

9. Pingback: Football… Just a game or a reason to entertain? « Klondike Potatoes

10. Pingback: Parmesan Potato Bites | Baked by Rachel