The best thing ever happened on Friday night.

Gooey Chocolate Coconut Truffles I howsweeteats.com

But first!

Some of you have asked how I dip my truffles since they appear all nice and smooth and stuff.

Gooey Chocolate Coconut Truffles I howsweeteats.com

I use forks. No biggie. Pretty sure this happened by accident about 5 years ago when I ran out of spoons.

I hate doing dishes.

Gooey Chocolate Coconut Truffles I howsweeteats.com

And yes, that would be me – the person who had a dish of brownies shatter in her oven – placing a glass bowl over a pot of boiling water. Sometimes I do stupid + desperate things.

You can see I’m not messy either. AT ALL.

Oh, and seriously? Most of my balls look like this. Not pretty. A nice, little hawt mess.

Gooey Chocolate Coconut Truffles I howsweeteats.com

Anyhooooo… Friday night.

We were at a little holiday gathering. After a few adult beverages we were ready to eat (i.e. like ravenous) and started to load up our plates with breads and cheeses and roasted red peppers and beef and this amazing penne. You may recall that there are really only two foods that my husband seriously dislikes. The first being coconut – he just can’t take the texture. He loves the taste and can slam a handle of Malibu like he’s 22 years old, but refuses to put the actual shreds in his mouth because they make his skin crawl. And the second is ricotta cheese – which I chalk up to him having some really crummy lasagna at some point in his life where the cheese resembled grit. But what do I know? Just a guess.

My cousin Lacy and I sat on the floor with our plates on a mini table and ate like hogs while Mr. How Sweet stood against the wall, attempting to devour his own plate as another party goer commented, “uh, who are you? You have red hair and don’t look like anyone here so I’m trying to figure out why you’re at this party.”

Me too, lady. Me too.

A few minutes later Lacy turns to me and says, “do you think this is ricotta in the penne?” To which I respond, “I’m pretty sure it is, it’s soooo good.” And she goes with a smirk, “well your husband is standing over there scarfing it.”

And scarfing it HE WAS. His second plate of it too. I was dyyyyying inside with giddiness. I love when he thinks he hates something and then eats like five platefuls.

Gooey Chocolate Coconut Truffles I howsweeteats.com

I don’t know where I disappeared to but when I returned, Lacy had filled him in on what he just ate and he couldn’t even take it. She was just as excited to break it to him too. Full on tantrum ensued. He refused to believe it. He insisted it was parmesan. Insisted it was feta. As the nice wife I am, I went on a mission to figure out how this penne was made and sure enough… it was penne with garlic and olive oil, topped with GIANT ICE CREAM SCOOPS FULL of ricotta. Yeah. That’s a lot of ricotta my friends. A lot of ricotta that he ate.

Since ricotta and I had easily one-upped him, I was aching to go 2 for 2. I made these truffles while he was at work (they are INSANELY easy, trust me), then strategically placed the pan in the fridge where he simply couldn’t miss them. Sure enough… he ate one.

Now the only problem is that I might be getting a divorce.

Gooey Chocolate Coconut Truffles I howsweeteats.com

Gooey Chocolate Coconut Truffles

makes about 24 teaspoon-sized truffles

3 cups sweetened, shredded coconut

1/2 cup powdered sugar

1/2 cup sweetened condensed milk

1/4 cup coconut oil, melted

1 1/2-2 cups milk chocolate chips, melted

In a large bowl, combined coconut and sugar and mix to combine. Add in milk and coconut oil, mix constantly until a gooey coconut filling results. I used my hands to mix too! Roll between the palm of your hands into teaspoon-sized (or a little larger) balls and place on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Freeze for 15 minutes, then remove from freeze and roll again between your palms to smooth any coconut edges. Freeze for 10-15 minutes more. While freezing, melt chocolate chips in a double boiled or microwave. Remove coconut balls from freezer and immediately dip.

Refrigerate until ready to serve – at least 15 minutes.

Gooey Chocolate Coconut Truffles I howsweeteats.com

Moral of the store: make these tonight. They are so gooey and chewy I could die!

142 Responses to “Gooey Chocolate Coconut Truffles.”

Kacee — December 20, 2011 @ 11:11 am

I do that to my husband all the time. If he isn’t going to have an open mind to try new things then I won’t tell him until after he eats it and decides if he likes it. HAHAHAHA I can’t think of 1 thing he hasn’t liked that I have done that with. MEN!!!

Jo-Lyn's Cup Cakes N' Candies — December 20, 2011 @ 11:26 am

LOL That is hilarious! I can’t think of anything ‘The Hubs’ won’t eat…These look amazing and I want one!! Or ten…

Cookbook Queen — December 20, 2011 @ 11:36 am

Husbands being wrong is the best thing ever. Hands down.

Love the truffles, coconut is one of my favorites!!

Liz @ Southern Charm — December 20, 2011 @ 11:37 am

You had me at gooey.

J3nn (Jenn's Menu and Lifestyle Blog) — December 20, 2011 @ 11:39 am

I like your technique! That’s exactly how I do all kitchen projects and improvise as I go along. Smooth or bumpy, they look deeeelish.

Lee — December 20, 2011 @ 11:41 am

These look really awesome. I can’t wait to make them.

Heather @ Get Healthy with Heather — December 20, 2011 @ 12:11 pm

I use the fork method too! Then I finish by licking the fork, bowl and burning my tongue. It’s necessary every time.

• Jessica — December 20th, 2011 @ 5:59 pm

Ditto!

Stephanie — December 20, 2011 @ 12:22 pm

I love your stories about Mr. How Sweet – he reminds me of my boyfriend who hates eating any sort of food that is mixed together. You know, casseroles and the like, and he HATES hand-formed burgers for some reason!

• Jessica — December 20th, 2011 @ 5:59 pm

Hahaha hand-formed burgers? That’s funny!

Lauren — December 20, 2011 @ 12:29 pm

I do this all the time with my family!! So hilarious.

diane stanley — December 20, 2011 @ 12:29 pm

I just wanted to say I really enjoy your blog, the stories, photos and the recipes are wonderful.

• Jessica — December 20th, 2011 @ 5:58 pm

Thanks so much!

Rachael S — December 20, 2011 @ 12:56 pm

First of all these look amazing and I cant wait to try them. Second, I am DYING laughing from your story about your husband!! My husband is by no means a picky eater, but I would LOVE to pull a fast one on him like that…sneakyness isnt my forte but man that is just priceless!

Jill — December 20, 2011 @ 1:04 pm

These look amazing but you should post the penne recipe too! Yum!!

• Jessica — December 20th, 2011 @ 5:58 pm

I think I will!

Jennalee — December 20, 2011 @ 1:27 pm

These look delicious. I particularly love the texture of coconut, it’s chewy and crisp at the same time.

Hope @ With A Side Of Hope — December 20, 2011 @ 1:30 pm

These look heavenly! They remind me almost of coconut macroons! Yum :)

Elizabeth — December 20, 2011 @ 1:37 pm

Oh, my. These look ridiculous. Oh, and I love getting my husband to eat things that he thinks he hates and he ends up loving!

Em (Wine and Butter) — December 20, 2011 @ 1:40 pm

I do that!!! Especially when I ‘healthify’ dishes. Its actually quite rare that he falls for it (its pretty hard to disguise a lettce wrap as a baguette sandwich) but when he does I know I’ve created a universally pleasing heathy dish – woot woot!!!

Jen Marie — December 20, 2011 @ 2:15 pm

I have a boy that I do that with sour cream. Now he says he hates sour cream-unless-its-in-my-mashed-potato-casserole.

Haha!!
    Another one for the team!

• Jessica — December 20th, 2011 @ 5:56 pm

Mine doesn’t really like sour cream either and I get him with it every time.

Ashley @ Wishes & Dishes — December 20, 2011 @ 2:45 pm

Oh sweet! These are awesome and not too many ingredients – and another way to use up my huge jar of coconut oil! :)

Veggie Girl — December 20, 2011 @ 3:16 pm

Oh yum, I might have to make these tonight!!!!!!!!

natalie (the sweets life) — December 20, 2011 @ 3:53 pm

oh yes. i want to wrap the truffle part around an almond and dip it in dark chocolate…and have my own personal mounds bar truffles!!

Heidi @ Food Doodles — December 20, 2011 @ 4:22 pm

Haha, that’s awesome. I like doing that to my husband too until I started cooking healthier and experimenting a lot more in the kitchen and then sneaking food on him became war. Now I have to be totally honest – unless I just don’t say anything at all before he tries it, haha. I’m totally trying these, they look like a Mounds bar(which is my fav!) only WAY better.

Kelly — December 20, 2011 @ 4:48 pm

I totally do this all the time…especially with wheat pasta. Gets him EVERY time! (I have to hide the boxes though)

Sarah @ The Cyclist's Wife — December 20, 2011 @ 4:58 pm

Trader Joe’s is selling organic coconut oil now! :)

• Jessica — December 20th, 2011 @ 5:54 pm

I’ve gone through 3 jars already!

Sally @ Spontaneous Hausfrau — December 20, 2011 @ 5:10 pm

1. I want one of these truffles so badly right now that I could die.
    2. I think your husband and my husband must be brothers.

Jackie — December 20, 2011 @ 5:48 pm

I was talking to my sister-in-law about things she wanted to make for Christmas breakfast. One of the recipes had cream cheese in it. She said she would love to make it but knew my husband didn’t like it. I laughed. ‘He eats it all the time!’ She swore he would never touch it growing up. I just don’t let him know! He eat veggies too that he has no clue about. Oh how evil wives can be! :)

Clare @ SweetnSimple — December 20, 2011 @ 6:53 pm

Too funny! These look amaazing.. thanks for sharing :)

Kristine — December 20, 2011 @ 7:09 pm

Is there anything I can use in place of coconut oil? It costs $10 at my grocery store!

• Jessica — December 20th, 2011 @ 8:42 pm

You can try butter, shortening or more of the milk!

Dimitra — December 20, 2011 @ 7:43 pm

These look delish mmm…. I am definately going to make these. Whats the best way to store them, how long do they last and do they have to be refridgeerated (“,)

• Jessica — December 20th, 2011 @ 8:41 pm

I store mine in the fridge – honestly not sure how long they will last since they all got eaten immediately, but I’d think a week or so.

Lanflan — December 20, 2011 @ 8:36 pm

These look UH-MAZING!!! I really have to try these. I love cocnut!

Oh, and don’t worry about divorce. He’ll be hard-pressed to find someone else that fattens him up like you! :)

sweet-lab — December 20, 2011 @ 8:43 pm

You shouldn’t feel bad at all. Thanks to you and your amazing truffles, your husband has been able to enjoy coconut for the very first time. What an accomplishment! These look so yummy. I wouldn’t be able to resist these…even if I didn’t like coconut.

Andrea — December 20, 2011 @ 8:48 pm

Why is your husband exactly like mine? Is it just because he’s a man? Are men like that all over the world? Strange creatures. Can’t live with them, can’t live without them.

PS. Totally cracked a glass bowl trying to do a double-boiler with it last week. And I was in way too deep to throw away the contents and start over. I checked for shards and found none, so I kept on my merry way!

Pure2raw Twins — December 20, 2011 @ 9:26 pm

yum! love the use of forks to dip the truffles in chocolate, we have been using our fingers. hey it works right haha
    love chocolate and coconut , and love them together :)

xo
    Have a great night!

Renae — December 20, 2011 @ 10:31 pm

You continually crack me up. I swear we’d be friends if we didn’t live on oppostie sides of the country. What do you bake in now that you don’t use glass?

• Jessica — December 20th, 2011 @ 10:32 pm

I love my calphalon bake pans and have a few le creuset pans as well! I NEVER bake in pyrex anymore.

• Renae — December 21st, 2011 @ 4:23 pm

Thanks! I’m contemplating chucking mine or using them until one explodes. I think I’ve had most of mine about 10 years. Maybe I got them before the exploding ones were manufactured.

Liz @ Tip Top Shape — December 20, 2011 @ 10:45 pm

These look delicious!! I love coconut!

Michelle — December 21, 2011 @ 12:18 am

Absolutely UNBELIEVABLE! I saw these this afternoon & went and bought coconut oil immediately. Now have a batch in the fridge, and my Mum has voted them a keeper and the best truffles ever! OMG yum! Thank you! They taste just like a bounty bar (we have them in New Zealand).

Asmita — December 21, 2011 @ 12:55 am

These look amazing!!!

Emily — December 21, 2011 @ 2:00 pm

I just made a vegan version of these- with fatty coconut milk instead of condensed milk- and they are sooo good. Thanks!

PS I do the same thing to my husband. I like to think of it as broadening his horizons. Sounds less malicious that way :)

Kimberly :) — December 21, 2011 @ 2:55 pm

pen-NAY, pen-NAY, pen-NAY…cmon, pleeeeeeeease post the ricotta recipe?

Marcy — December 21, 2011 @ 3:02 pm

I am making these right now–sadly I am slightly concerned that the filling tastes a bit like the lobster shells that were discarded into that bowl during dinner on the weekend. It was washed (duh!!) which makes me think that it’s probably all in my head. Also, I am dipping them in white chocolate and putting more coconut on the top(to disguise the hint of lobster!?) PS What should I do with a half a can of sweetened condensed milk, besides drink it?? Gross, I’m kidding…kind of.

• Brenda — December 21st, 2011 @ 5:24 pm

Are you kidding? We eat that stuff right out of the can for dessert sometimes if there’s nothing else and we’re totally dying for something sweet. I like to think of it as a dairy serving :)

Debbie — December 21, 2011 @ 7:44 pm

Ok, I am not much of a baker but am going to try making these tonight…..they look fabulous:) My questions is, is coconut oil like soft butter? The stuff I bought is:

Olivio
    Coconut Spread
    Fijian extra virgin coconut oil

PLEASE tell me I bought the right stuff!! I have never heard of it before and everyone in my grocery store was stumped. I just happened upon it while I was grabbing some butter.

Ashley@BakerbyNature — December 21, 2011 @ 8:00 pm

You’re killing me, girl!! I’m a coconut freak, and covered in chocolate – I need need need.

Jessica — December 22, 2011 @ 12:03 am

do you ever stop out-doing yourself??? seriously? i’m surprised my keyboard is still working, considering the drool this recipe has instigated. love. everything. about. you. ;)

shelly (cookies and cups) — December 22, 2011 @ 8:29 am

I made something almost exactly like these the other day! I may or may not have eaten the entire situation before my camera stood a chance :)

• Jessica — December 22nd, 2011 @ 9:20 am

I ate about 10 before I even photographed mine!

Lynn Williams — December 23, 2011 @ 12:54 am

Okay, these things could make me gain a ton and fast! Simple, easy and quite tasty, what is not to like? I love coconut and love finding new ways of eating more of it. Coconut oil is actually a really healthy option as the fat it contains is excellent for the skin and coconut oil may even have immune boosting properties. So eating coconut oil is likely good for you and may boost your immune system. Just make sure to only eat small amounts as coconut oil is still high in calories after all. But what a treat!

lisab — December 24, 2011 @ 12:45 am

Is it wrong that I love your stories about mother lovett and mr sweet? ;) Thank you for sharing with us!

Shereen — December 25, 2011 @ 1:55 pm

I made these yesterday for Christmas and people are in love with them! They taste like little Bounty balls!
    I’ll be making these again, especially because I now have a giant jar of coconut oil to use up.

Alexa @ A Life in Drive — December 26, 2011 @ 9:22 pm

I made these for Christmas and they were a hugeeee hit. No wait, that’s an understatement. People were obsessed. Thank you! I used the fork method. I also didn’t have coconut oil so I substituted a little melted butter. Need to go out and buy coconut oil so I have it for next time!

Nick P — December 28, 2011 @ 6:30 pm

I love coconut and chocolate. I’m curious, what is your favorite type of truffle? I’ve never made truffles before, but they can’t be much more difficult than pastries, hahaha.

Hailey — January 30, 2012 @ 10:09 pm

The coconut filling made from condensed milk is actually called a “brigadeiro”….they are the famous truffle dessert of Brazil. Instead of dipping it in chocolate so the outside hardens, the Brazilians roll them in sprinkles, coconut shavings, or nuts…..you can do many different flavors with walnuts, cocoa powder, etc. they’re amazing!

Charlie — April 6, 2012 @ 2:24 pm

He ate one ………………… did he eat anymore?

Does he like them?

I have the texture thing also, but I can do desiccated coconut.

Thanks for sharing.