Do you want to eat a big bowl of Christmas?

Red Wine + Goat Cheese Risotto with Caramelized Mushrooms I howsweeteats.com

I do.

All tied up in a pretty little bow and strung with a string of lights and 53 sparkly ornaments, plucked in front of a crackling fire with Barry Manilow in the background. I’d take the entire thing down in about 3.7 seconds because I freaking love this time of year.

So, so much. Just call me a walking cliche.

Red Wine + Goat Cheese Risotto with Caramelized Mushrooms I howsweeteats.com

I am incredibly tempted to bring this dish to Christmas dinner, though it may give my mom a complete heart attack. Taking the quite untraditional dish of butternut squash lasagna gave her half a heart attack on Thanksgiving, and I’m pretty sure this would send her over the edge while asking “who eat’s goat on Christmas?!”

Red Wine + Goat Cheese Risotto with Caramelized Mushrooms I howsweeteats.com

Let’t talk about how insanely creamy this risotto is. O… M… G… . It’s pretty insane. I felt like I was eating straight up cream, which sure – isn’t too far fetched for me, but still. The red wine was a happy accident considering someone drank all the white wine in the house (how dare they!), but not only was it delicious, it added a little pink tint to the rice. Um, hello. I love pink things. Win.

And the mushrooms… the mushrooms. I caramelized them in butter for almost 20 minutes. Do I need to tell you anything else?

Then I topped everything with basil that I had in my fridge, which was probably a Christmas miracle considering I found it shoved behind a leftover container of buttercream and it had to be at least 3 weeks old. But it made it look sort of Christmasy and stuff. Right? Kinda pink and green? Let’s pretend.

Red Wine + Goat Cheese Risotto with Caramelized Mushrooms I howsweeteats.com

Red Wine + Goat Cheese Risotto with Caramelized Mushrooms

serves 4

2 tablespoons olive oil

2 tablespoons unsalted butter

3 garlic cloves, minced or pressed

1 1/4 cups arborio rice

1 cup of your favorite red wine

3-4 cups low-sodium chicken stock

6 ounces goat cheese

3 cups sliced mushrooms

1/4 teaspoon salt

1/4 teaspoon pepper

fresh basil for topping

In a large skillet, heat 1 tablespoons of butter and olive oil over low heat, then add mushrooms. Let cook for 10-15 minutes, stirring occasionally until mushrooms are juicy and caramelized.

While mushrooms are cooking, in a large saucepan heat 1 tablespoon each of butter and olive oil over medium heat. Once hot, add garlic and cook for 30 seconds. Add rice, tossing to coat in the butter and oil, then toast while stirring occasionally for 3-4 minutes. Add in wine, stirring every few minutes until absorbed. Once absorbed, add in 1 cup stock, stirring until absorbed like you did with the wine. Repeat 2-3 more times, until all stock has been added and absorbed. This should take about 15 minutes – I do not stir constantly, but actually just keep an eye on it and stir every few minutes. Taste rice and determine if the they are cooked to your liking (if not, add in 1 more cup of stock and stir).

Reduce the heat to low and add in salt, pepper, 5 ounces of goat cheese and mushrooms, then stir. Serve with remaining goat cheese crumbled on top and a sprinkling of fresh basil.

Red Wine + Goat Cheese Risotto with Caramelized Mushrooms I howsweeteats.com

You neeeeeeed this.

138 Responses to “Red Wine + Goat Cheese Risotto with Caramelized Mushrooms.”

Jennifer@Peanut Butter and Peppers — December 21, 2011 @ 8:00 am

I’m not a mushroom person, but this looks very good! Your photos always look so pretty and appetizing!!! Have a great day!

kaitlin @4loveofcarrots — December 21, 2011 @ 8:06 am

I’m going to need this in my life ASAP!

Bianca @ Confessions of a Chocoholic — December 21, 2011 @ 8:08 am

Yes I want a big bowl of this for Christmas! I love goat cheese but have never had it in risotto. Sounds so delicious!

Vicky @ Recipe Adaptors — December 21, 2011 @ 8:11 am

I would say that I will come over to eat this for supper, but somehow I think that you may have finished it before I arrive (because it would take me like 24 hours to get there…..)

Hey, I just realised that I would be able to arrive in time for Christmas dinner – I’m on my way to the airport now! ;-)

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey — December 21, 2011 @ 8:15 am

Hmmm I wonder who drank all that white wine? It could have been me. I’ll be over for a glass of Moscato later, k? k.

• Jessica — December 21st, 2011 @ 10:04 am

Yessss.

Kim in MD — December 21, 2011 @ 8:37 am

I love risotto, and this recipe looks AMAZING! I have never used red wine, but I am excited to try it! Risotto is one of those dishes that must be eaten immediately, which makes it tricky to serve for guests. I saw a chef on the Today show last week say that it can be made ahead (like they do in restaurants). Make the recipe through the second ladle of chicken broth and then spread it onto a cookie sheet to cool. Proceed with the recipe just before serving. I haven’t tried this, but I am confident that this is how restaurants do it…there is no way they make each order from start to finish!

• Jessica — December 21st, 2011 @ 10:04 am

That is an awesome idea! Thanks so much for sharing – I gotta try that.

• Emily F. — December 23rd, 2011 @ 9:55 am

Kim’s right; This is how we do it in restaurants! You’ll want to stop cooking when the rice is 40-60% cooked, and almost all of the liquid is absorbed. Make sure to use a spatula to scrape your pan, and the cookie sheet for when you want to start cooking again. Without that sticky starch, your risotto won’t turn out!

Karen — December 21, 2011 @ 8:40 am

This looks so good! I can’t wait to try this recipe. I’ve made the butternut squash lasagna you referred to and it was delicious! I bet the deliciousness cured your mom’s “half a heart attack”.

P.S. I love love love your site!

• Jessica — December 21st, 2011 @ 10:04 am

Thanks Karen! So glad you liked the lasagna. :)

katie @KatieDid — December 21, 2011 @ 8:47 am

Yes. Please. I want a bowl now. I absolutely adore all kinds of rissotto and its my best friend when going out to eat for GF options. I had obviously never thought of red wine before with it but I’m seriously intrigued!

Melissa@IWasBornToCook — December 21, 2011 @ 8:49 am

Making this SOON!

Doux Rousse — December 21, 2011 @ 8:58 am

This looks incredible. Just had risotto yesterday! Is arborio rice normal risotto rice?

XO,
    Doux Rousse

• Jessica — December 21st, 2011 @ 10:03 am

I think it’s the most common, but you can make it with other types. I have never tried though!

• Emily F. — December 23rd, 2011 @ 9:58 am

Make sure you use a short or medium grain rice and you’ll be fine. I make risotto with sushi rice, and because this rice is super starchy, I don’t have to stir it *constantly* to make the risotto come together…just stir it enough so it won’t stick, keep it moving…just feel for it! Arborio and carnaroli rice are the most common types used, but I always have sushi rice on hand, its cheaper, and it works!

Matt Debouge — December 21, 2011 @ 9:03 am

Looks Yum…. we do one similar without wine but we use fine mushroom powder that adds soo much flavour to the risotto.

Heather (Heather's Dish) — December 21, 2011 @ 9:03 am

omg i LOOOOOOVE mushrooms! this looks ridiculous and amazing!

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat — December 21, 2011 @ 9:06 am

Ooooh yes please! I love mushrooms, especially caramelized ones, and red wine… well, let’s just say you wouldn’t have to ask me twice!

Bev Weidner — December 21, 2011 @ 9:09 am

This. Was. Meant. For. My. Life. And. Face. Oh. Crap.

Lauren at Keep It Sweet — December 21, 2011 @ 9:09 am

I just want those caramelized mushrooms… why is caramelized anything so good?

• Jessica — December 21st, 2011 @ 10:02 am

I know. So good.

Claire @ Live and Love to Eat — December 21, 2011 @ 9:18 am

I love risotto and goat cheese makes ANYTHING better. Love.

Sommer J — December 21, 2011 @ 9:28 am

Def bookmarking this! My son loves anything with mushrooms and rice! My family would definitely enjoy this!

Lynne @ 365 Dys of Baking — December 21, 2011 @ 9:30 am

So into risotto now and this would be wonderful. Loving the mushrooms!

Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga — December 21, 2011 @ 9:33 am

This is a big bowl of shroomy goodness. And add wine to anything and it automatically gets way better :)

Brittany (A Healthy Slice of Life) — December 21, 2011 @ 9:36 am

I haven’t even tried this yet, but I’m pretty sure I could eat nothing but this for the rest of my life and be happy :)

Kelly — December 21, 2011 @ 9:39 am

Would you like to hear something heartbreaking that may forever change your opinion of me? I don’t like goat cheese. [hangs her head in shame] :)

• Jessica — December 21st, 2011 @ 10:00 am

It’s okay… I don’t LOVE goat cheese. I would choose many other cheeses first. But it made this so creamy!

The Mrs @ Success Along the Weigh — December 21, 2011 @ 9:40 am

I do believe you’re right…I do neeeed this! Looks creamy, delicious and mine.

Yammie @ Yammie's Noshery — December 21, 2011 @ 9:43 am

I have never had risotto. WHAT IS WRONG WITH ME???

• Jessica — December 21st, 2011 @ 10:00 am

Oh my gosh!! You gotta get on that.

Kristina @ spabettie — December 21, 2011 @ 9:57 am

happy FREAKIN holidays, that looks GOOD.

kathleen @ the daily crumb — December 21, 2011 @ 10:01 am

risotto (any variation) is one of my all time favorite foods. throw in goat cheese and red wine? um, yes please!

gigi — December 21, 2011 @ 10:01 am

You are so right, I do need this. This will be perfect on New Years Eve! Cheers.

Rachel @ Not Rachael Ray — December 21, 2011 @ 10:05 am

Amazing!

Brenda @ a farmgirl's dabbles — December 21, 2011 @ 10:11 am

Yes, please! Pretty, pretty please!! This sounds amazing – I just love all those flavors.

TidyMom — December 21, 2011 @ 10:21 am

It’s 8am and I want this NOW!!!!!!!!!!!

I think I’m so sick of all the sweets lol……..this looks amazing!

Lori @ RecipeGirl — December 21, 2011 @ 10:23 am

My kind of dinner (+ a half bottle of red wine)

Suzi — December 21, 2011 @ 10:28 am

Oh yeah, this looks delicious. Just perfect. Happy Holidays to you.

bridget {bake at 350} — December 21, 2011 @ 10:28 am

Let’s see….I love risotto, love red wine, love goat cheese, love mushrooms. I’m pretty much in love with this entire dish. I say YES…make it for Christmas! :)

Saba Siddiqui — December 21, 2011 @ 10:30 am

Oh Em Gee – This looks and sounds AH-mazing! I am at work and am totally craving this!!!!

I don’t drink alcohol, for relgious reasons, but do you have any idea of what I could substitute for the red wine in the recipe?

Thanks!

Mal @ The Chic Geek — December 21, 2011 @ 10:30 am

YUM! This looks so delicious, I love mushroom risotto so much

Anna @ On Anna's Plate — December 21, 2011 @ 10:30 am

I love creamy risottos. Looks perfect!

Laura — December 21, 2011 @ 10:36 am

Your posts make me so hungry! I want to eat this now. My mushroom hating husband will starve the night I am make this. I say it’s worth it.

Jennalee — December 21, 2011 @ 10:37 am

What kind of goat cheese do you get? Because every goat cheese I’ve tasted, tasted like…well….goat. You know, like goats smell? Am I crazy?

Stacy — December 21, 2011 @ 10:40 am

You are soo right! I do NEED this! I love all of your recipes so much! I may try making this for Christmas dinner (or before).

Kelli H (Made in Sonoma) — December 21, 2011 @ 10:43 am

mmm…I love drunken risottos.

Grace — December 21, 2011 @ 10:55 am

Putting this one in the recipe file–I love rissotto.

Katrina — December 21, 2011 @ 10:56 am

I absolutely love this. Goat cheese rocks my world!

Mushrooms Canada — December 21, 2011 @ 11:00 am

O… my… goodness this looks diiiivine! Did you use crimini mushrooms? A mixture of crimini, portabella, and shiitake would be great in this dish…
    – Brittany

Kelsey@ ReadySetFeast — December 21, 2011 @ 11:01 am

o m g this looks divine. I want this like now.

Erin — December 21, 2011 @ 11:02 am

Sounds amazing!!!

Gina @ Running to the Kitchen — December 21, 2011 @ 11:03 am

I’m in love. I must have mushrooms in my risotto. It’s the way my mom made it growing up so it’s not risotto without mushrooms. The goat cheese is brilliant though, so much creamier than typical parmesan.

nancyc — December 21, 2011 @ 11:04 am

Yes this looks amazing and I’m the only one in the house who likes mushrooms so I guess I’ll have to eat it all by myself! win.

Maria — December 21, 2011 @ 11:10 am

Wow, what a meal! Mmmm!

Steph @321delish — December 21, 2011 @ 11:10 am

Red wine + goat cheese? SWOON!

Brian D — December 21, 2011 @ 11:30 am

I typically end up making some sort of Orzo (Lemon Orzo Primavera anyone?) so I am pretty excited about trying this Risotto tonight. Red wine, goat cheese and mushrooms, who could resist!

nicole {sweet peony} — December 21, 2011 @ 11:53 am

ohhh yummy! i looove caramelized mushrooms. and i love risotto. andredwine. aaand i love how this turned out kind of pink. :)

1 2 3

1. Pingback: Red Wine + Goat Cheese Risotto with Caramelized Mushrooms … | Wine Bottle Covers

2. Pingback: Pumpkin Cranberry Risotto | Laughter, Strength, and Food

3. Pingback: Late night friday favorites | Nikkilooch

4. Pingback: tasty Tuesday « Liv Pink

5. Pingback: Pink Porridge? « Like a Fat Kid

6. Pingback: Risotto Eighteen Ways — Savvy Eats

7. Pingback: Goat Cheese, Mushroom and Red Wine Risotto — Snark & Pepper

8. Pingback: Roasted Sweet Potato Risotto with Brown Butter, Bacon and Fresh Herbs | How Sweet It Is

9. Pingback: Red Wine Roasted Mushrooms on Goat Cheese Garlic Toasts. | How Sweet It Is

10. Pingback: Red Wine and Goat Cheese Risotto with Caramelized Mushrooms | Nom Box

11. Pingback: 15 Coziest Weeknight Meals

12. Pingback: Recipes to Try | Live and Learn

13. Pingback: White Wine & Goat Cheese Risotto with Caramelized Mushrooms & Shallots - Bliss Accomplished

14. Pingback: Red Wine and Goat Cheese Risotto with Caramelized Mushrooms | A Tasty Life

15. Pingback: procrastination revived | Monika Bernotas